Emile Heskey: Road to Redemption

zacram

Reaction score
View attachment 33454

Emile Heskey: A return to football?

View attachment 33452

Emile Heskey has today outlined his intentions to step into the world of management. Following an 18-year playing career, the ex-England striker hung up his boots at the end of the 2015/16 season and has taken up occasional punditry duties ever since.

“Since retiring in 2016, there’s been a massive void in my life. I’ve been actively involved with grassroots coaching, punditry and veterans’ tournaments, but it just doesn’t have the same buzz. Walking out in front of thousands of fans cheering you on is a feeling you just can’t replicate”.

Despite achieving 62 caps for his country and winning 8 top-flight domestic trophies, Heskey often found himself being criticised for a lack of goals.

“Football’s a cut-throat sport. One minute the fans can be chanting your name and the next minute they can be booing you off the field. When you play at the highest level, people expect performances to be of the highest level. As a striker you are judged on goals and admittedly my return rate wasn’t good enough across my career. I felt I made up for it in other areas, by supporting my teammates, but ultimately I have to listen to the fans. I’ve been the **** of a few jokes in my time and am now even more driven to restore my reputation through management”.

We will still have to wait and see whether or not any clubs decide to take a punt on the former Leicester City and Liverpool striker, but Heskey has admitted that some initial contact has been made.

“Yes, I’ve been in discussion with a couple of clubs. Has anything been formally offered? No. I’m keeping my options very much open at the minute and want to make sure that my first step into management is the right one for both the club and myself.

So with Heskey’s name circling around the footballing world once again, how long will it be before we see him stood on the touchline?

Fleetwood sack Barton

View attachment 33232

27th​ October 2018

Joey Barton has been sacked, after just 147 days into his first managerial position. Fleetwood are rooted to the foot of League One with just three wins from fifteen in the League.

Many were expecting to see Fleetwood challenging for promotion this season after being tipped as 3/1 title contenders. Clearly the gamble to appoint an inexperienced manager didn’t pay off and the search for a successor is now well underway.

It is widely thought that Heskey is a front-runner for the position after he was photographed leaving the Highbury Stadium the other day. But would appointing another former international with no managerial experience be a wise move following this abysmal start to the season?

Pulis sacked by Middlesborough

View attachment 33231

3rd​ November 2018

Tony Pulis becomes the first managerial casualty in the Championship as Chairman Steve Gibson announced the decision early today. Middlesbrough have struggled for form this season and find themselves in 23rd​ place.

The writing had been on the wall for some time and today’s loss at Stoke proved to be the final nail in the coffin for Tony Pulis.

Speculation as to Pulis’ successor at the Riverside Stadium is rife, with Barcelona B Chief Scout, Guillermo Amor being tipped as the bookies favourite. Although, Quique Sánchez Flores and Steve Bruce’s names have also circulating around the media. One source close to the club has also hinted Emile Heskey to be an outside candidate for the job.

View attachment 33230

Heskey rejects Fleetwood in favour of Middlesbrough

View attachment 33202

27th​ November 2018

Former England International Emile Heskey has been named as the new manager of Middlesbrough F.C, three weeks after the sacking of Tony Pulis. He reportedly rejected an offer from Fleetwood Town in favour of the Riverside Stadium.

“I’m delighted to be sat here today as the new manager of this historic football club. I’ve had the privilege of playing here many times before and know how passionate these fans are. I’m going to implement my own philosophies on this team and will be aiming to restore the club to the successes of the 1990’s.”

Heskey has signed a 2-year deal with the club and will be earning a reported £13,750 p/w.

It is the 40-year-old’s first job in management following his retirement from the game back in 2016. The Boro faithful will be hoping he can bring his wealth of playing experience to the touchline.

The fans won’t have to wait long to see there new man in action as Heskey is set to take charge of today’s game at Preston. Talk about being thrown in at the deep-end!

“Obviously the circumstances aren’t ideal. I haven’t even had a chance to introduce myself to the players and our coach to Preston leaves in just a few hours. Despite the lack of preparation, I believe we have the quality to come away with all three points.”

Despite much more experienced managers being linked to the position, chairman Steve Gibson has arguably taken a gamble on appointing Heskey as Manager.

“We interviewed a number of managers, but firmly believe that Heskey has the perfect vision, ambition and attributes for the job. He is young and clearly driven by success. To the outsider it may seem a gamble, but he has the entire support of the board and we look forward to working with him for the foreseeable future.”

It’s safe to say that there will be a lot eyes watching over the Deepdale Stadium this afternoon to watch Emile Heskey’s managerial debut.

Is he really the right man to drag Middlesborough out of the relegation zone? I'm sure that's the question we're all going to be asking over the next few weeks.

View attachment 33201

View attachment 33181

Approaching Preston

It’s hard to hide my frustration at the Chairman’s decision to appoint me as manager just 5 hours before a match. I’ve had no time to work with the players and implement my philosophies on the side.

So now I’m left frantically scouring through my assistants reports to try and put together a suitable starting line-up and tactic. Fortunately the backroom staff have been brilliant, providing me with ample information and advice.

So here’s the squad I am inheriting:

View attachment 33182

It’s a decent squad. We have a very strong looking backline, with plenty of options through the middle. Possibly a little weak out on the wings with the exception of my old teammate, Stewart Downing who at the age of 34 is still going strong in the Championship.

The stand out player in the squad for me has to be
Dael Fry
. An England U21 International, with bags of ability and potential. He may only be 21 years of age but on paper he already looks to be one of the best players on the books and will hopefully only get better with age!

View attachment 33180
View attachment 33179

View attachment 33107

View attachment 33106
View attachment 33105

My highly anticipated managerial debut is extremely anticlimactic. In truth this game could have gone for 5 hours and I doubt we'd have seen any goals. The only chances came from the penalty spot and even they were shocking attempts. Preston blazed theres over and Assombalonga was denied by the keeper.

Despite our inability to convert in the final third, we put in a rather dominant display on the road. There is still a lot of hard work to go, but was pleasantly pleased with what I saw. Unfortunately, we picked up a few injuries and I was forced into 2 first half substitutions.

Next up we host league leaders, Aston Villa at the Riverside.

View attachment 33104
View attachment 33103

View attachment 33008

December 2018

View attachment 33007

We finish off 2018 above the drop, having clawed our way out of the relegation zone and up to 15th in the table. It's still very early days into my managerial career, but I seem to have adjusted seamlessly into my new role. Braithwaite and Assombalonga have found form in front of goal and we're starting to see rewards. Clearly we need a bit of work defensively having kept just the one clean sheet in seven matches, but as long as we keep scoring more goals than we concede i'm not too fussed.

It is still exceptionally close down the bottom of the table, with just 5 points separating 22nd and 14th! Plenty of hard work to go but the fans are already beginning to warm to me and get back behind the team.

View attachment 33006

Dael Fry had been requesting a new contract to reflect his ability before I even arrived at the club. He is clearly going to be a a key player in this squad for many years to come and I immediately got to work on securing him a new 5-year deal.

Although, in all honesty I don't think it'll be long before some Premier League sides come sniffing at his services.

View attachment 33005

A big part of my development as a manager is securing my final 2 coaching qualifications. So was delighted to see Middlesborough fund my Continental A License.

View attachment 33004

As the latest transfer window opens, we must first look ahead to our New Years game against Frank Lampard's, Derby County. Hopefully 2019 can continue our good form, as we look to keep climbing the table and begin our FA Cup campaign.

View attachment 33003

View attachment 32812
January
(Part 1)

Championship:
Derby 3 - 1 Middlesborough

View attachment 32820

Unfortunately we were completely outclassed by my ex-England teammate Frank Lampard, as Derby
cruised to victory. We ended the game with 9 players following 2 injuries in the last 10 minutes, as any chance of a fight back diminished.

Our top goalscorer, Martin Braithwaite will now miss around a month of football, whilst Friend should miss just the one game.

View attachment 32818
View attachment 32817

FA Cup 3rd Round:
Middlesborough 1 - 0 Peterborough

View attachment 32819

I made a whole host of changes for our FA Cup outing, as we scraped past a struggling Peterborough side. Despite our dominance, we struggled to convert our chances and had to rely on penalty to advance to the 4th round. Not a good performance by any means.

Chapman becomes the latest injury and will be out for the majority of the season.

View attachment 32816

Championship:
Birmingham 0 - 0 Middlesborough

View attachment 32815

Our visit to St Andrew's turned out to be a very dull affair. The only positive to be drawn, was a very solid defensive display.

Championship:
Middlesborough 0 - 0 Millwall

View attachment 32813

Another bore draw, as our strikers struggle to make the most of their opportunities in front of goal. Millwall are 23rd in the table and I really expected us to be winning this one. It might be time for me to delve into the transfer market and try end our woeful finishing.

Dael Fry picked up a frustrating injury in training following the game, ruling him out for a month

View attachment 32814

New Signings

View attachment 32774
View attachment 32778View attachment 32777

With a name like Thomas Glover, he was clearly destined to be a goalkeeper from birth!

He initially joins as my back-up keeper, but at the age of 21 he has bags of potential to challenge Randolph for the Number 1 shirt over the coming years. For a measly £300k it felt like a bit of a steal in all honesty and was a no-brainer, especially as my current back-up keeper is 40 and just signed a pre-contract overseas for next season.

View attachment 32773
View attachment 32776
View attachment 32775

In a bid to enhance our goalscoring, I turned to experienced striker, Joselu. In all honesty this was a bit of a desperate signing, since Joselu goalscoring record is rather poor. I struggled to find a better alternative within budget so bring Joselu in on loan didn't seem a bad option. I'm hoping that a drop in division can bring out the best in him.

If he does turn out to be a success, we can sign him permanently for £4.5 Million.

good luck...hopefully you leave boro as soon as possible ...only joking haha

So far so good! Waiting to see how you got on against Bristol City in your next game

Thanks neavie pops23!

I'll happily leave Middlesborough if a better job comes available, don't you worry :p

Bristol completely out played us, but we somehow managed to come away with the 3 points - a lucky result to say the least!

View attachment 32468

January (Part 2)

FA Cup 4th Round
Middlesborough 2 - 0 Gillingham

View attachment 32467

Thomas Glover made his club debut in a heavily rotated side as we hosted Gillingham in the FA Cup 4th Round. As expected we bossed the game against our lower division opponent, but once again struggled to make the most of our chances. We needed a penalty to send us on our way to victory and avoid a replay. So despite the victory, I'm still not overly impressed by the performance.

The draw has been kind to us once again as we avoid the Premier League sides. Swansea are still performing much better than us in the League, but playing at home we will fancy our chances of reaching the

View attachment 32466

Championship:
Middlesborough 3 - 2 Bristol City

View attachment 32465

Our strikers finally found some form, as we completed a stunning comeback against Bristol City! It was a rare and wonderful sight to see our strikers show a bit of composure in front of goal and make the most of our chances. A sight I'm hoping to see time and time again in the future. In all honesty we were lucky to get the 3 points but the 3 points we did get.

View attachment 32464
View attachment 32463

A mixed bag of results see's us move into 17th place. We are still far from safety, sitting 5 points above the relegation zone but I think I've seen enough fight in the team to know we will be comfortably clear of the drop come the end of the season.

We now look forward to February...

View attachment 32462

View attachment 32199

February (Part 1)

Championship:
West Brom 2 - 0 Middlesbrough

View attachment 32198

Yet another frustrating afternoon as we fail to convert in the final third. Statistically it was a pretty even game but our inability to find the back of the net is becoming a serious concern. 7 shots on target and we never even troubled the West Brom keeper!

Championship:
Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Leeds

View attachment 32197

Martin Braithwaite's terrific solo effort, edged us past Leeds. It was a far from convincing victory, as we had to cling on in the final minutes as Leed's relentlessly pushed forward searching for the equaliser. At the minute I'll take 3 points in any way, shape or form!

View attachment 32196

Championship:
Sheffield United 3 - 0 Middlesbrough

View attachment 32195

Our form away from home has not been good lately, and Sheffield United put us to the sword at Bramall Lane. We missed numerous chances once again and were bullied at the back by United's Leon Clarke. I need to start asking serious questions of this squad and possibly look to completely re-address my tactics, as clearly something just isn't working at the moment.

FA Cup 5th Round:
Middlesbrough 0 - 2 Swansea

View attachment 32194

Swansea coast through to the next round of the FA Cup, as our struggles continue. I'm not overly fussed at being knocked out of the cup, as realistically we were never going to win it but the team's performance was well below par yet again. Frustration is definitely starting to build right the way through the club.

View attachment 32193

View attachment 32030

February (Part 2)

Championship
Blackburn 1 - 2 Middlesbrough

View attachment 32029

Joselu scored his first goal for the club as we staged an unlikely comeback against Blackburn. After Downing inadvertently put the ball in the back of our own net, Blackburn looked to be cruising to victory before Joselu and McNair swung the game in our favour.

Championship
Middlesbrough 2 - 1 QPR

View attachment 32028

Again we had to come from behind. It was another far from convincing performance in front of our home fans but we did at least get the 3 points. I'm still looking forward to watching a game where we cruise to victory.... hassle free!

View attachment 32027
View attachment 32026

We climb up a couple of places to 15th in the League and more importantly 8 points clear from relegation. It's now time to try push on and achieve our objective of a top half finish.

Sheffield United caused a massive upset in the Carabao Cup, beating Liverpool 1 - 0 in the final! The win means they have qualified for the Europa League next season!

View attachment 32025

March's fixtures are as follows...

View attachment 32024

Pressure Building At The Riverside

View attachment 31934

Emile Heskey is now just 3 months into his managerial career. He joined Middlesbrough at the end of November when they were struggling down in 23rd​ place, but today rumours are beginning to emerge of unrest in the squad.

A source close to the club has confirmed that club captain, Stewart Downing along with a number of teammates feel that the club is underachieving in the League. They are rumoured to be unhappy with Heskey’s management of the team and pressure is undoubtedly starting to build on the rookie manager.

View attachment 31933

“I’m only 3 months into my managerial career and still adjusting to certain pressures associated with the job. Admittedly, it’s been far from an easy transition into management and I’m still struggling to get the lads playing to the level I envisaged when I took over.”

“Obviously it’s disappointing to have some unrest in the squad and I will be looking to address the issue over the next couple of days. I will continue to give 100% every single day and expect that to be reciprocated by the players.”

The criticism of Heskey is perhaps a little unfair considering the position the club were in when he took over…

Games Played

Before Heskey

23rd​

With Heskey

15th​

Middlesbrough have clearly improved this season under Heskey’s guidance, but they are an ambitious club striving to get back to the Premier League.

Can Heskey resolve this early setback or will the chairman start looking towards a 3rd​ manager this season?

View attachment 31820

March

Championship
Wigan 0 - 0 Middlesbrough

View attachment 31818

Rudy Gestede's missed penalty in the first half potentially cost us 2 points against a struggling Wigan side. Despite the missed penalty we had other chances to score as Howson and Assombalonga both came close. I had hoped to bounce back from my recent criticism with a win but with morale dangerously low, it may be an uphill struggle.

Championship
Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Brentford

View attachment 31817

Our game against Brentford quickly became an extremely physical affair as the ref brandished 8 yellows and 2 red cards. Despite the lack of discipline, George Saville managed to poke home from close range midway through the first half to secure us a vital victory.

Championship
Middlesbrough 2 - 2 Preston

View attachment 31816

Sean Maguire's equaliser in the last seconds of the game was a crippling blow. The 3 points were all but ours, until lapse in concentration allowed Maguire to slip through the defence and roll the ball past Randolph. This was definitely seen as 2 points dropped rather than 1 point gained.

Rudy Gestede has been struggling in front of goal all season. I was hoping his goal today might boost his confidence over the coming weeks, but pulled ankle ligaments will unfortunately stall his momentum.

View attachment 31815

Championship
Aston Villa 1 - 3 Middlesbrough

View attachment 31805

Marcus Tavernier, a man I have overlooked since my arrival, scored a phenomenal first half hat-trick on our way to beating the league leaders at Villa Park! The 19 year-old added some much needed energy to the team down the right wing and caused all kinds of problems for the Villa left back. That was probably the most pleasing performance I've witnessed from the dug out to date.

Unfortunately Tavernier did pick up a bit of a knock in the game and will be out for a couple of weeks. Joselu then picked up a training ground injury, essentially ruling him out for the remainder of the season.

View attachment 31804
View attachment 31803

Championship
Middlesbrough 4 - 3 Norwich

View attachment 31802

I was going absolutely ballistic on the touchline, as we threw away a 3 goal lead in the space of 13 minutes! We were saved by a late OG, as Lewis inadvertently deflected the ball into the Norwich goal from a corner. An extremely entertaining game for the neutral, but I was probably a couple of minutes away from a heart-attack!

View attachment 31801
View attachment 31800

An unbeaten month, propels us up to 10th in the League and only 5 points off the playoffs! I never thought we would even come close to the playoffs this season, but with just 7 games left to play we have a real outside chance of making them.

We are going to need a flawless April to stand a chance...

View attachment 31799

Dam cheek of the squad. You've got them out the of **** they got themselves into and they blame you for not being higher. Hopefully it's not affected the boards confidence in you.

Dam cheek of the squad. You've got them out the of **** they got themselves into and they blame you for not being higher. Hopefully it's not affected the boards confidence in you.

I know mate! Couldn't believe it when I saw the message. Thought I'd done a pretty good job, steadying the sinking ship.

Has now given me a reason to keep an eye out for a potential new job over the summer