Emile Heskey: Road to Redemption

Emile Heskey Appointed England Manager

View attachment 1189053

Emile Heskey has been appointed as England manager with immediate effect.

Heskey, 42, replaces Southgate following a disappointing summer, which saw England knocked out of Euro 2020 by Wales in the second round. Surprisingly, Austria went on to win the competition.

View attachment 1189054

“I am extremely proud to be appointed England manager. However, I am also conscious getting the job is one thing, now I want to do the job successfully.”

"I'm determined to give everything I have to give the country a team that they're proud of and one that they're going to enjoy watching play and develop."

Former striker Heskey, who made 62 appearances for England as a player, only recently stepped into management with Middlesbrough

The appointment therefore comes as a bit of a shock considering Heskey’s lack of managerial experience. Although has done excellent work in his limited time, lifting the Championship trophy last season.

View attachment 1189055

The FA are believed to have approached Heskey as their number one candidate for the position.

“I was sat in my office at the Riverside when I received a call from the FA offering me the job. I honestly thought it was a wind up at first, but quickly realised it was genuine”

“I thought I may need a bit more experience before applying, but clearly the FA have seen something in me that they like and am determined to repay their faith. This is a dream come true.”

View attachment 1189057
View attachment 1189058

It is understood that Heskey will continue with his role at Middlesbrough and balance his time between the two.

Heskey’s first competitive match in charge will be a European International League Division B fixture against bitter rivals, Scotland at Wembley on 7th​ September.

View attachment 1189056
they won it on my save too

View attachment 26702

November - England

View attachment 26701

Another routine victory over our Northern Irish neighbours. I recalled Ruben Loftus-Cheek to the squad after his impressive performances for me at Middlesbrough and he certainly didn't disappoint. Harry Kane finally scored under my management as well, which is a pleasing sign.

View attachment 26700

Scotland managed to put up a little bit more resistance in Glasgow than they did in London, but we still comfortably eased past them. Probably our worst performance since I took over but we got the job done and the defence looked very solid.

As expected we topped the group with ease and will return to Division A next time around.

View attachment 26699

We go into our World Cup Qualifying group as the top seed, above Sweden and Slovakia. Those 2 teams may cause us a few problems in the away fixtures, but we should really be qualifying rather comfortably.

View attachment 26698

View attachment 26684

November

View attachment 26683

Three first half goals gave us a very comfotable victory over the Toffees as we kick off November. Our midfield ran the game today and came up with all 3 of the goals. I must say that Loftus-Cheek is relishing his Advanced Playmaker role!

View attachment 26682

We gave Spurs a good game but ultimately they proved too strong for us. We struggled to break down their defence and never really posed a threat to goal. Hopefully we can give them more of a challenge in the home fixture.

View attachment 26681

Patrick Roberts ended his goal scoring drought, picking up a brace against Brighton. He looked a threat all game, cutting inside off his right wing and I'm sure the full-back will be having nightmares about him tonight.

View attachment 26680

Liverpool have been flying this season and we were never likely to get a result at Anfield. We did create a few chances but our defence just couldn't cope with their attacking firepower and it honestly looked like men against children at times. Still it's a big learning curve for our young CB's.

We drop down to 4th after a couple of losses, but still looking very good in the League. Liverpool are already starting to look uncatchable and have only dropped 4 points all season so far. As we approach the half way stage our aim will be to try and hang on to a top 7 position and get a sniff at Europe.

View attachment 26679
View attachment 26678

After a terrific start to the season the board offered me a year extension with a pay raise, which I gladly accepted.

View attachment 26677

The board have also invested more money into our Youth Recruitment, so will be looking forward to the next crop of youth products.

View attachment 26676

In other new, Leicester have sacked Pochettino after just a few months in charge! The club looks to be in all sorts of problems at the moment and is a sinking ship. Having just signed a new contract with Middlesbrough ti looks unlikely that I'll be getting the job.

View attachment 26675

Heres a look at December's festive fixtures...

View attachment 26674

Emile Heskey: Leicester appoint Middlesbrough manager as boss

View attachment 26661

18th​ December 2020

Premier League side Leicester City have appointed Middlesbrough boss Emile Heskey as their new manager, paying a £5.75 Million compensation fee

View attachment 26657
The 42 year-old, who won the Championship with Boro last season, has signed a 2-and-a-half year deal with the Foxes.

Jamie Vardy has been caretaker/player manager since Pochettino was sacked on the 28th​ November.

“It was not an easy decision to leave Middlesbrough, but Leicester are my boyhood club and have always dreamt of a homecoming. I just couldn’t turn them down.”

Heskey joined Middlesbrough back in November 2018 and has leaves the club defying expectations in the Premier League this season, positioned in 4th​ place. He has won 61 of his 104 matches for Middlesbrough and will undoubtedly be big shoes to fill at the Riverside.

View attachment 26658

The foxes are currently just outside the relegation zone after a terrible start to the season and will be hoping Heskey can steer clear of a relegation battle.

View attachment 26660
“I’ve dreamt of returning to Leicester for many years and am delighted to finally be given the opportunity. This is an incredibly proud moment for me and will give my all to represent the badge of the club”.

It’s certainly an interesting choice for Heskey to make, moving from a club performing exceptionally well, to a club performing exceptionally poorly. Can he be the man to steady the ship?

View attachment 26659

Leicester City

View attachment 26553

So after 2 years in management I've landed my dream job, a move back to Leicester. The club has a rich history, with the 2015 Premier League triumph living fresh in the memory. Obviously I'm keen to build on the success of the club and some more trophies to the cabinet, but that is unlikely to be happening this year. This season the board have basically asked me to avoid relegation and hopefully steady the side. Should be a straightforward task. I hope.

View attachment 26561
View attachment 26554

So here is the squad I'm inheriting. It's unlikely that I'll have a chance to add to the squad this season due to the financial constraints of having £0 transfer budget. Despite this we still have some very decent looking player. Ideally I'd like another top quality winger and central midfielder, but that will have to wait until next season.

View attachment 26560

A look at some key players...

View attachment 26558

Alexis Saelemakers looks a terrific young wing-back with plenty of potential. He's got good pace and a decent cross, which are two attributes I highly rate in a wing-back. He already looks like our first choice RB and is only going to get stronger as the seasons go by.

View attachment 26557

James Maddison is a very highly rated attacking midfielder, on the cusp of getting an England cap (which is ultimately my decision). He is going to be the man pulling the strings for us in midfield. His free kicks also add an extra dimension to his game and can hopefully chip in with a few goals from dead ball situations.

View attachment 26556

Harry Maguire's the man that won the Nation over at the World Cup in 2018. He is a real threat from set pieces and will be getting him to attack the back post as often as I can. His ability to play the ball out from the back is also a great asset for the style of football I want to play.

View attachment 26559

Financially the club is in a huge mess and currently riddled in over £40 Million of debt! Not a good sign at all for the future of the club. Some players may need to be offloaded in January to help balance the books.

I take charge of my first game tomorrow against bottom of the table, Brentford. Probably the best fixture I could of hoped for as I look to develop a new tactic.

View attachment 26555

Last edited:
Congratulations on Landing the Leicester Job mate!!

Big decision to switch when you were flying at Boro, but am sure you can stabilise the Foxes.

Congrats on the new job, big things expected at Leicester!

Thanks Nomadic - Simply couldn't turn down an opportunity to manage Leicester, even if they are struggling!

Cheers Neavie Pops23 - Fortunately expectations are low this season.

View attachment 26542

December

Brentford 0 - 4 Leicester

View attachment 26541

My second Leicester debut couldn't have been much better, thrashing Brentford away from home. We looked solid from front to back, dominating all aspects of the game. A very pleasing performance, considering I've only had a day to adjust!

Man City 1 - 1 Leicester

View attachment 26540

Although City are massively underperforming in the League, they still have one of the strongest squads in the League. So to get a point at the Ethiad is no easy task. I also adopted a new Diamond 4-4-2 formation due to a lack of wingers and it seemed to work fairly well. A pleasing sign.

Leicester 4 - 0 Bournemouth

View attachment 26539

This was my first ever visit to the King Power as a "home" player/manager. The fans sounded their appreciation as we dismantled Bournemouth with relative ease. Our English players were the standout performers as Maddison, Vardy and Maguire all got on the scoresheet. Confidence looks to be somewhat restored at the club.

We begin to move clear of the relegation zone and are now 8 points adrift of Wolves down in 18th. After what I've seen, I'm very confident that we wont be in a relegation scrap this season. A mid table finish will suffice for this season, although being only 9 points off 7th, there may be a slim possibility of grabbing a European spot. We shall see.

View attachment 26538
View attachment 26537

Saelemaekers instantly starts living up to the hype and is awarded the Young Player of the Month Award. He really is going to be World Class in a couple of years.

View attachment 26535

The New Year brings the start of the FA Cup and our only opportunity of silverware this season. Considering our position in the table, it's a competition we really should focus on and try to win.

View attachment 26536

Thanks cbarber - Think my days in the Northeast are over now haha

View attachment 26011

January

FA Cup 3rd Round
Leicester 1 - 1 Burnley

View attachment 26010

I made a few changes for our FA Cup tie against Burnley and let's just say it didn't go too well. We never really looked comfortable on the ball and really struggled to get into the game. Fortunately, Jonny Evans got on the end of a long Rory Delapesque throw in to set up a replay at Turf Moor.

Chelsea 1 - 2 Leicester

View attachment 26009

Reverting back to a more familiar line-up, we pulled off a fantastic victory at Stamford Bridge. Maddison pulled the strings in midfield, tormenting the Chelsea defence with probing passes. Fortunately, Schmeichel then pulled off a terrific penalty save in the closing stages of the game as we held on.

FA Cup 3rd Round (Replay)
Burnley 1 - 0 Leicester

View attachment 26008

I went with a slightly stronger lineup for our FA Cup replay, but we couldn't convert against a stubborn Burnley defence. It was a pretty scrappy game, which was fittingly decided by a penalty. Disappointing to go out so early in the competition but our focus is now entirely on the League.

Swansea 0 - 1 Leicester

View attachment 26007

We piled the pressure on Swansea at the Liberty before local lad, Hamza Choudhury came off the bench to score his first ever goal for the club and get us all 3 points. I had only just recalled him from loan so was delighted to see him make such an instant impact.

Leicester 1 - 3 Liverpool

View attachment 26006

Liverpool have been absolutely unstoppable this season so was no surprise to see us lose this one. We actually played pretty well but they just had too much quality up front. They're going to take some beating this season!

Leicester 2 - 2 Arsenal

View attachment 26005

After such a good performance, Aubameyang scores a 95th minute header to steal a draw. Although I would probably have settled for a draw at the start of the game, conceding so late makes it feel like 2 points droped rather than a point gained.

League Table

We slip down a place in the League, but are now only 7 points behind Bournemouth in 7th. A middle table finish still looks the most likely outcome, but we must still believe that we can sneak a European spot.

View attachment 26004
View attachment 26003

Transfers

It was a very quiet transfer window for us, mainly due to the club's £47 Million debt! I sold Ghezzal for £6 Million as don't believe he has the required quality and loaned out Nyambe to reduce to reduce the wage bill. I did then decide to recall Iheanacho and Choudhury who had both been loaned out whilst we covered the entire wage bill, which just seemed ridiculous considering our financial situation!

View attachment 26002

February Fixtures

Four very winnable fixtures for us in February, including a visit from my former club!

View attachment 26001

View attachment 25967
February

Leicester 5 - 1 West Ham

View attachment 25966

We responded with 5 unanswered goals after falling behind against West Ham, including a hattrick from Jamie Vardy. Despite the sloppy start, it was a fantastic performance and a perfect start to February.

Everton 1 - 2 Leicester

View attachment 25965

Jamie Vardy is the man once again to inspire us to an impressive victory at Goodison. I had my doubts about Vardy's ability when I joined the club, considering he is now 34, but he is still looking as sharp as ever in front of goal!

Brighton 0 - 3 Leicester

View attachment 25964

A very professional performance away to Brighton today. We controlled the game from start to finish and barely gave them a sniff on goal. Chilwell picked up a minor knock but will be fit for next week's match day squad.

Leicester 1 - 0 Middlesbrough

View attachment 25963

This was perhaps the most important game of the month for me, up against my former club, Middlesbrough. The game looked destined for a 0-0 as both sides squandered clear cut chances, but Ayla's straight red in the 78th minute for a foul on Iheanacho opened up a bit of extra space for us to sneak a winner.

League Table

A perfect February has catapulted us up into the Europa League places! This is a position I didn't think possible when I took over in December, but with other club's struggling we have seized the initiative and put ourselves in a great position.

View attachment 25962
View attachment 25961

Awards

Alexis Saelemaekers continues to prove he is one of the best young talents in the Premier League, picking up his 2nd Young Player of the Month Award out of 3 since my arrival at Leicester. I have no doubts that some of the big clubs across Europe will be trying to pry him away over the summer.

View attachment 25960

March Fixtures

Spurs and United are clearly tough fixtures and so a point from the two will be the aim, whilst we must get the full 3 points against Fulham.

View attachment 25959

Huge turn around in Leicester's fortunes! Bet your glad to be looking down on Boro in 9th!

I am indeed Neavie pops23! Makes my decision to leave Boro this season worth it

View attachment 25795

March - England

World Cup Qualifiers
Sweden 1 - 3 England

View attachment 25794

Sweden away was arguably going to be our toughest fixture of the group, so was delighted to get the victory. I tried out a new formation, playing a back 3, which really didn't work as we went into half time a goal down. Fortunately the change in formation at the break brought the desired result, scoring 3 unanswered goals to take an early command of the group.

[FONT=&quot]World Cup Qualifiers
England 3 - 1 Slovakia[/FONT]

View attachment 25792

Slovakia are probably the other side that could pose us a few problems, but a dominant first half display sent us on our way to victory. I also gave Hudson-Odoi his international debut after putting in some impressive performances for Bournemouth this season. I'm a big believer in developing youth, so will can expect a few of the younger lads to get a senior chance over the coming years.

As expected we're top of the group after 2 games, although is surprising to see Azerbaijan and Finland below us. Still a lot of games to play, but am expecting us to maintain a 100% record in this group.

View attachment 25790

View attachment 25727

March

Leicester 2 - 3 Tottenham

View attachment 25726

Ndidi's red card left us a man short for the final third and Spurs managed to capitalise. Although Schmeichel managed to save the resulting penalty we just couldn't hold them out. It's a really frustrating result to take considering the position we were in.

Roussillon also picked up a slight knock, but with Chilwell in the squad we have plenty of cover.

View attachment 25725

Man Utd 2 - 3 Leicester

View attachment 25724

We put the disappointment of last week behind us as we pulled off a memorable victory at Old Trafford. Iheanacho hasn't had a lot of opportunities since I recalled him from loan, but he stole the headlines with his game winning strike in the 76th minute. Considering Man Utd's position in the league, this has to go down as my greatest victory to date with the foxes.

Leicester 6 - 1 Fulham

View attachment 25723

WOW!

Well I certainly wasn't expecting a victory as big as this at kick-off. The entire team played phenomenally, as we picked Fulham apart at will, but Jamie Vardy definitely stole the show with his 4 goals. Even at the age of 34 he continues to prove he is still a world class striker on his day.

League Table

Another couple of wins bumps us up to 6th, ahead of Bournemouth on goal difference. With just 6 games left to play in the season, the race is definitely hotting up for those Europa League spots. It's beginning to look like a 3 horse race between ourselves, City and Bournemouth. Meanwhile Liverpool are cruising to win the the title for a second consecutive year.

View attachment 25722
View attachment 25721

Youth Intake

Not a huge amount to right home about on this season's youth intake. Curtis Khan and Clive White, realistically look to be the only players that could potentially get a first team appearance. Am a little disappointed in our youth recruitment and am definitely going got need to upgrade this before next year.

View attachment 25719

April

4 very winnable fixtures in April as we look to consolidate our 6th place position.

View attachment 25718

Is the diamond formation your first choice? I've always gone with a narrow formation (5-3-2 at the moment) without wingers but now all of a sudden can't seem to win games on the recent update as the wide players and full backs constantly overpower me. It doesn't seem to be a problem for Leicester as you've shot up the table using the diamond!

Is the diamond formation your first choice? I've always gone with a narrow formation (5-3-2 at the moment) without wingers but now all of a sudden can't seem to win games on the recent update as the wide players and full backs constantly overpower me. It doesn't seem to be a problem for Leicester as you've shot up the table using the diamond!

Yeah, the diamond formation has been my first choice with Leicester due to a lack of decent wingers. I'm using the DM as a Half Back to provide extra cover at the back so my wingbacks can push forward and seems to be working really well on my Leicester save. I did try playing 3 CB's with England in one game and it went really badly, so for me the diamond seems to be more effective.

(Usually use positive mentality for Home games and Cautious for away games)

View attachment 25603

View attachment 25602

April

Southampton 0 - 0 Leicester

View attachment 25601

A bore draw. The first one since I took over at Leicester and hopefully the last. I like to play attacking football, so is always disappointing not to find the back of the net at least once in a game. Unfortunately, we looked a little short of ideas going forward but at least the defence held firm.

Leicester 2 - 0 Aston Villa

View attachment 25600

That's more like it! A comfortable 3 points in front of the home supporters. Maguire continues to be our rock at the back, picking up a clean sheet and a goal today. Hopefully the big clubs don't try tempt him away over the summer!

Burnley 0 - 2 Leicester

View attachment 25599

We manage to get some revenge on our FA Cup defeat to Burnley back in January. Saelemakers had a phenomenal game, driving down the right wing at every opportunity and was rewarded with 2 assists. Another strong performance as we push for a top 6 finish.

Leicester 3 - 2 Watford

View attachment 25598

What looked like a fairly comfortable 3 points quickly turned into a very nervy final 10 minutes following Silva's red card and Deulofeu's goal in the 82nd minute. We managed to just about hang on for the 3 points but it was definitely in squeaky *** time at the end!

League Table

10 points from 12 in April means that we are guaranteed a top 7 finish and a Europa League place (depending on cup winners). With Manchester City 6 points behind us, we just need a point to finish 6th, in what will be a very good consolidation season for us.

View attachment 25597
View attachment 25596

May

Two easy looking fixtures for May against a side battling to avoid relegation and a side that has already been relegated. So a point looks easy enough to secure.

View attachment 25595

View attachment 25525
May

Wolves 3 - 2 Leicester

View attachment 25524

Poor discipline cost us a result yet again. After going 2-0 down we managed to fight back in the second half to tie the game up, only for Vardy to lunge in two-footed and get shown a red card. Then 6 minutes later we gave a penalty away. We're our own worst enemy at times!

Leicester 1 - 2 Brentford

View attachment 25523

Well this really should have been the game to end the season on a high, but we're beaten by the division's bottom side. As City lost the last fixture, we were guaranteed 6th place coming into the game, so I made a number of changes to get a look t some fringe players. Needless to say, most of them didn't impress!

League Table

So we managed to finish the season in a very respectable 6th place and most importantly earn ourselves a Europa League spot. The club desperately needs the extra revenue to balance the books and begin development. Liverpool will most likely be the side to beat yet again next season as we look to possibly push for a top 4 finish. Maybe a bit ambitious but we shall see.

View attachment 25522
View attachment 25521

The board have given me a very healthy transfer budget to work with. Although am very reluctant to spend it all and potentially damage the club in the long term. Therefore most of our transfer activity will likely be going out rather than coming in, as I look to get a cut out some of the deadwood.

View attachment 25520