Emile Heskey: Road to Redemption

View attachment 28293

March

CHAMPIONSHIP
Preston 1 - 0 Middlesbrough

View attachment 28292

Preston are proving to be a bit of a bogy team for us and are once again left frustrated by our visit to Deepdale. Andrew Hughes scored an early goal after Randolph failed to deal with a relatively easy strike and we never found a response. We managed to create chances, but couldn't find a way past their well organised defence. That makes it just 5 losses in the league this season.

CHAMPIONSHIP
Middlesbrough 4 - 1 Cardiff

View attachment 28291

This time we managed to respond rather emphatically after going 1-0 down, scoring 4 unanswered goals. However, the match was much closer than the scoreline would indicate. A good victory none the less and a step closer to promotion.

So with 7 matches remaining in the season we are now guaranteed a playoff place at the very worst! Although with a 13 point gap still over Fulham, we have to win the Championship trophy and return tot the Premier League in style.

March was another strong month of results with the exception of the Preston. Paddy McNair has been on the fringes of my team selection this season so was delighted to see himself bag a hattrick against Luton. He's still developing and I believe he has the ability to perform in the Premier League next season.

View attachment 28290
View attachment 28289

Unfortunately Dominic Solanke's season is over after he broke his foot in the game against Norwich. He's set for 3 months on the sidelines so is unlikely to feature in a match day squad again for Middlesbrough. I have been extremely impressed by him this season and would love to sign him on a permanent deal, but I expect Liverpool's valuation will be far beyond our budget! Still it's something to explore in the off season.

View attachment 28288

April picks up the pace as we enter into the back end of the season. We should really be lifting the Championship trophy before the end of April...

View attachment 28287

View attachment 28160

April & May

View attachment 28150
View attachment 28158
View attachment 28157

It's now official. We've won the Championship!!!

We finish the season just 1 point short of the elusive century, but most remarkably 17 points clear of Fulham in second! It's been a terrific season for us and have gone from strength to strength all season. I had anticipated to be pushing for the playoffs this season, so to finish as Champions by such a big margin is incredible.

My first full season as a manager and already a trophy to my name. Not bad. Not bad at all.

View attachment 28152
View attachment 28151

We also broke two club records on our way to the title, setting a new points record and number of wins in a season.

View attachment 28154
View attachment 28153

The board have provided me with a healthy transfer budget of £40 Million, as we look to consolidate our position in the Premiership and avoid the drop.

View attachment 28159

Not only did we win the League but our U23's won the Premier Division 2 title and U18's won the FA Youth Cup! Great signs for the quality of players we have coming through the academy.

View attachment 28156
View attachment 28155

Just read this, really good story. Winning both home derbies 5-1 has to be the highlight of the season, despite all the other brilliance.

Just read this, really good story. Winning both home derbies 5-1 has to be the highlight of the season, despite all the other brilliance.

Thanks man! Yeah that 5-1 victory over Newcastle at the start of the season still lives long in the memory.

View attachment 28103

Season 2019/20 Review

View attachment 28096

Well as we look back and reflect on an incredible season, we can see just how dominant we've been in the League by looking at the positions graph. We have led the league since around match day 8 and stayed in first place ever since! Interestingly, I used the fewest number of players this season in the Championship with just 23. Although when we were playing as well as we were it was hard to drop any of the lads.

Rather unsurprisingly, Harry Wilson picked up our fans Player of the Season Award. He has been absolutely phenomenal for us all season, causing havoc down both wings. Our defence has also been very impressive this season, with the entire back 4 picking up an average rating of over 7!

View attachment 28102
View attachment 28100

As you'd expect the board are extremely happy with my job performance this season, particularly my emphasis on using youth. Hopefully it stays that way as we battle for survival next season.

View attachment 28095

Harry Wilson and Marcus Tavernier win the Player and Young Player of the Season Award's respectively. Both have been instrumental to our success this season. Clearly the wingers are thriving in my formations.

View attachment 28093
View attachment 28092

Other Leagues

Champions League – Bayern

Europa League – Chelsea

Premiership – Liverpool

FA Cup - Arsenal

League Cup - Chelsea

La Liga - Barcelona

Serie A - Juventus

Ligue 1 – PSG

Bundesliga – Bayern

Other News

Leicester have sacked Santo after just 1 season at the club! They have become an extremely ambitious club and anything other than a top half finish looks like failure at the moment. Have I got enough experience to finally apply for the job....

I would also like to pay tribute to Vichai. He was a great man, who conquered the impossible and will be dearly missed.

View attachment 28091

Would love to see you get the Leicester job, unless you wana go and save Newcastle from the Championship. Surely their manager has been sacked after finishing 18th after being tipped for the title.

Would love to see you get the Leicester job, unless you wana go and save Newcastle from the Championship. Surely their manager has been sacked after finishing 18th after being tipped for the title.

You would be right about the sacking, Tim Sherwood's been brought in to save the sinking ship - Lucky you! (He is actually the 3rd manager since Benitez left for Dortmund) Had Newcastle been promoted then I would have been tempted to apply, but am now holding out my hopes on Leicester.

Leicester job

Fingers Crossed mate!

Mauricio Pochettino: Leicester name former Spurs boss as new manager

View attachment 27660

Former Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino has been appointed Leicester Manager on a two-year deal.

Spurs sacked Pochettino earlier in the season after some disappointing performances, ending a near 6-year stint at the club.

Emile Heskey had been heavily linked to the vacant position after storming to the Championship title last season with Middlesbrough. He was seen entering the King Power Stadium earlier in the week.

View attachment 27659
View attachment 27658

Heskey has always outlined his intention to return to his boyhood club and remains a massive hit with the Leicester faithful.

However, the Leicester board decided to go with experience on this occasion. A safe option, but probably the right option.

View attachment 27657

Transfer Activity

It's been a pretty busy transfer window, as you'd expect from a newly promoted side. With a fairly limited budget, I spent a long time scouring through players at the end of their contracts and managed to sign 4 players on free transfers. This included the likes of Patrick Roberts, who looks set to be a very useful acquisition on the wing.

I also managed to bring in the likes of Loftus-Cheek and Lacazette on loan, whilst splashing a record transfer fee on German fullback, Marvin Plattenhardt. Hopefully all will prove to be big signings.

View attachment 27606

Marvin Plattenhardt - A German international with a wealth of experience playing at the top level. He has bags of pace and lethal cross, which perfectly fits the mould of full-back I want at the club. He also has a very good free-kick and will hopefully prove to be lethal from the set-pieces. Obviously as a record club transfer, there is high expectations for him, but as a well seasoned professional I'm sure he will cope with the pressure.

View attachment 27602
View attachment 27599

Ruben Loftus-Cheek - A young English international, attacking midfielder with bags of potential. He has good strength and composure and looks set to be a real threat driving forward with the ball. I've had to adjust my tactics a little to effectively utilise Loftus-Cheek in his preferred role, but am just delighted to have signed him.

Unfortunately we didn't have the resources to meet Chelsea's £22.5 Million valuation, so settled for a loan deal with the option to buy for the said price tag. He is therefore essentially on a 1 year trial to see if he is worth the money.

View attachment 27601

Patrick Roberts - I was amazed that we managed to sign Roberts on a free transfer as City decided not to offer him a new contract. He looks a real box of tricks with his dribbling, flair and agility and can hopefully fill Harry Williams' boots from last season. Definitely the best piece of business in the transfer window from me this season.

View attachment 27600

Premier League Activity

View attachment 27595

Last edited:
Emile Heskey Appointed England Manager

View attachment 27593

Emile Heskey has been appointed as England manager with immediate effect.

Heskey, 42, replaces Southgate following a disappointing summer, which saw England knocked out of Euro 2020 by Wales in the second round. Surprisingly, Austria went on to win the competition.

View attachment 27592

“I am extremely proud to be appointed England manager. However, I am also conscious getting the job is one thing, now I want to do the job successfully.”

"I'm determined to give everything I have to give the country a team that they're proud of and one that they're going to enjoy watching play and develop."

Former striker Heskey, who made 62 appearances for England as a player, only recently stepped into management with Middlesbrough

The appointment therefore comes as a bit of a shock considering Heskey’s lack of managerial experience. Although has done excellent work in his limited time, lifting the Championship trophy last season.

View attachment 27591

The FA are believed to have approached Heskey as their number one candidate for the position.

“I was sat in my office at the Riverside when I received a call from the FA offering me the job. I honestly thought it was a wind up at first, but quickly realised it was genuine”

“I thought I may need a bit more experience before applying, but clearly the FA have seen something in me that they like and am determined to repay their faith. This is a dream come true.”

View attachment 27589
View attachment 27588

It is understood that Heskey will continue with his role at Middlesbrough and balance his time between the two.

Heskey’s first competitive match in charge will be a European International League Division B fixture against bitter rivals, Scotland at Wembley on 7th​ September.

View attachment 27590

Well I didn't see that coming! The FA is obviously "On the Ball" (and Heskey makes it 5)

Well I didn't see that coming! The FA is obviously "On the Ball" (and Heskey makes it 5)

Me neither! I'd been so focused on transfers that I didn't even notice Southgate had been sacked. Although when they offered me the job it was impossible to say no.

Season Preview 2020/21

View attachment 27517

We achieved a 100% record in our pre season, recording some very impressive wins along the way. Obviously our 8-1 thumping over Sevilla during our training camp was the standout performance, but victories over Valencia and Besiktas were also noteworthy. I regularly chopped and changed the formations and lineups and have been able to see the whole squad in action. We're looking good and can hopefully continue our form into the new season.

View attachment 27522

So the bookies haven't quite given us the longshot odds of 5000-1 like Leicester a few seasons back, but still anticipate us to be in the relegation scrap at the foot of the table. Liverpool have been tipped to win the title for a second successive year over the two Manchester clubs.

View attachment 27521

Thankfully the board have set me realistic objectives this season to essentially avoid a relegation battle. So i guess the magic points number to aim for will be 40 and confirm our place in the Premier League season. Anything above that will be a bonus this season.

View attachment 27518

The squad has started to come together rather nicely and our new signings well embedded in the squad. The main area of weakness is probably at CB, as I failed to find a suitable replacement for Benkovic (who Leicester valued at over £100 Million!!). We do have 2 young English talents in Fry and Wood, who will undoubtably get a lot of game time this season.

View attachment 27520

7 games to look forward to in August as the new season gets underway. Fortunately the draw has been kind and we can ease into the Premier League against "easier" opposition, until we meet City on the 29th of course!

View attachment 27519

View attachment 27429

August

View attachment 27428

We had to come from behind twice to beat Villa in our opening game of the season. As the score suggests it was a tight game that could have gone either way, but Lacazette's debut goal proved to be the decisive difference on the magical 69 minute mark!

View attachment 27427

Lacazette missed a penalty in the 54th minute, before Gudmundsson fired home the winner for Burnley. Turf Moor is never an easy place to go and we battled hard, but just couldn't find a way past Heaton in goal.

View attachment 27426

7-0!!!! I honestly couldn't believe what I was watching! I went for a 4-4-2 formation for the first time this season and we just ripped Watford apart. In all honesty we weren't that dominant, but we were clinical, scoring 7 goals from a total of 14 shots. This was a result I never thought I'd see this season, but credit to the lads.

View attachment 27425

Lacazette missed his second penalty of the season. A goal that would've proved the difference against against a strong Wolves side. We were clinging on at the end but our defence held firm to pick up a good point on the road.

View attachment 27423

German full-back, Plattenhardt started to prove his £17.5 Million price-tag, scoring from 2 direct free-kicks in the second half as we cruised past Brentford. Beating the other newly promoted sides is always key to staying up and we did that today with ease.

View attachment 27421

Ruben Loftus-Cheek returned from injury to score on his debut in a fully rotated starting XI. Despite fielding a weakened side we still eased past Brentford and into the Third Round of the Carabao Cup. Was good to see some strong performances from the rest of the squad.

We get an easy Third Round draw against League One side, Charlton. A game in which I may give debuts to a few on the U18's showing high potential.

View attachment 27419

View attachment 27417

Possibly the most shocking result of the month was beating City 3-1 at the Etihad! The result didn't even appear to be fluke, as we took the game to City ending with 48% possession. Lacazette was clinical once again in front of goal and proving to be a prolific goalscorer for us this season.

So after 6 games we find ourselves in 4th place, on 13 points and with a goal difference of 12! Unbelievable! Clearly a long way to go in the season but we are already over a quarter of the way to the 40 points target. I don't think we're going to be the next Leicester City, but based on this months performance we may be looking at a top half finish.

View attachment 27416
View attachment 27415

Academy product, Marcus Tavernier picks up the Young Player of the Month Award. There were a few doubts if he could make the giant step up to the level of Premier League at 21, but he is proving those doubters wrong straight from the off.

View attachment 27414

Fixtures calm down a bit in September, with just the 4 games to play. Can we continue our good form of will we come crashing back down to Earth??

View attachment 27413

View attachment 27372

September - England

View attachment 27371
View attachment 27370

My first game in charge of the Three Lions couldn't really have been any better, thrashing Scotland 6-0 in front of a sellout 90,000 at Wembley, breaking the European International League record win in the process. Not a bad debut for me in the dugout!

Dele Alli and Trent Alexander-Arnold both missed out through injury, whilst I gave a senior debut to Phil Foden off the bench. There were a lot of impressive performances to contend with and am looking forward to the next set of internationals to get a closer look at the rest of the squad.

The victory sends us straight to the top of our Home Nations group. A group that we really should be winning with relative ease.

View attachment 27369

October see's us travel to Belfast for our first fixture against N Ireland, before heading over to Belgium for a friendly.

View attachment 27368

View attachment 27239

September

View attachment 27238

Martin Braithwaite rescued us a draw with a header at the back post deep into injury time. We weren't at our best today and missed a lot of chances, but was great to fight back an earn a point.

View attachment 27237

Andrea Petagna pounced on a poor back pass in the 90th minute, before rounding the keeper to give us a very unlikely victory at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea dominated much of the game, but our keeper put in a Man of the Match performance to deny them. It's another result I can barely believe, but we are flying in the league so far this season.

View attachment 27236

I handed out 3 professional debuts to some of our academy prospects in our 3rd Round Carabao Cup victory over Charlton. I was massively impressed by what I saw as both Marc Wales and Sean Perry got on the scoresheet. Both have extremely bright futures at the club and are already proving that they can compete at this level. Both player profiles can be seen below...

View attachment 27235
View attachment 27234

A home tie against Southampton in the 4th Round awaits...

View attachment 27233

View attachment 27232

We round off the month with a hammering (get it ;) )! West Ham are in real trouble this season and the normally reliable, Fabianski had an absolute shocker in this one picking up a match rating of 4.6! Another of our young prospects, Nathan Wood also scored his first goal for the club in this one.

Our unbeaten record extends to 7 in the League and we find ourselves in 3rd place at the end of September. I'm still utterly baffled at how we are performing this well, but am just going to keep riding the wave. We are now halfway to the golden 40 points mark which is still our primary aim this season.

View attachment 27231
View attachment 27230

Nathan Wood picks up the Young Player of the Month Award after a couple of outstanding performances. I had intended to ease him into first team football this season but his performances have been meriting a regular place in the starting XI.

View attachment 27229

Assombalonga's season looks to be over after he damaged his cruciate ligaments. Although he is currently a 3rd/4th choice striker he is still a massive part of the squad and has performed well so far this season. he will be a big loss.

View attachment 27215

October see's a return to my home club Leicester City, a side that refused to hire me at the start of the season. This will be a real chance to show the board what they are missing out.

View attachment 27228

Last edited:
View attachment 26986

October - England

View attachment 26985

A commanding performance over our neighbours in Belfast, but we had to work extremely hard to break down there defence. I was starting to get a little worried that we wouldn't find the breakthrough, before Henderson fired home in the 57th minute. Not the most glamorous performance, but we got the job done and that's all that really matters.

The victory puts us in a very commanding position of our group and a win away from promotion back to the top Division.

View attachment 26984

View attachment 26983

Fans in Brussels were treated to an action packed friendly, as we claimed a narrow victory over the top ranked side in the World. Obviously there are a few question marks over our defence, conceding 3 goals but our attack was on fire and Jack Grealish was the man pulling the strings. Overall, a very good performance over a very strong Belgium side and lots of positives to build on.

I'm not quite sure how we're 4th in the World Rankings following Relegation in the European League and getting knocked out in the 2nd round of the Euro's...

View attachment 26982

View attachment 26876

October

View attachment 26875

A comfortable victory at the Liberty thanks to goals from Dasilva and Lacazette. We never really got out of third gear, but the result was never in doubt.

View attachment 26874

Well I managed to show the Leicester board what they're missing by not hiring me over the summer with a comfortable 3-0 victory. It wasn't the greatest feeling beating my boyhood club but my allegiance lies with Middlesbrough so am glad to get the 3 points and move on.

View attachment 26873

Arsenal brought us crashing right back down to earth with a 5-1 thrashing at the Emirates. Lacazette was ineligible to play against his parent club and his presence was definitely missing up front. The gulf in class was noticeable right the way through the game and the better team certainly won. Time to dust ourselves off and bounce back to winning ways.

This marked my 100th game in management. Unfortunately the result didn't match the occasion.

View attachment 26872

View attachment 26871

We crash out of the Carabao Cup at the 4th round, losing out to fellow Premier League side, Southampton. This time our rotated squad couldn't cope with there attacking firepower. We were exposed at the back and was a rather disappointing performance on the whole.

Despite losing to Arsenal we stay above them in the table and hang on to our 3rd place. It's only a matter of time before the likes of City and Chelsea kick into gear and start climbing the table, so am just enjoying the dizzy heights of the Premier League whilst it lasts.

View attachment 26870
View attachment 26869

Here's a look at November's schedule...

View attachment 26868