England 2018 World Cup Bid Update Thread

Juneau59

Reaction score
Just seen this on the BBC sport website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8946745.stm

Looks like theres a pretty good chance of England getting the World Cup in 2018.
According to this Russia are the main competitors to host the tournament but inspectors have, "expressed concern over their ability to get everything ready on time."

Article says that the stadiums, transportation and safety aspects look good in England and that, "there seems to be no problem in hosting an event of such scope." However there are some concerns over whether there is enough decent accomodation for visitors to stay in during the event.

Thoughts?

Personally I think a World Cup in England would kick ***. A country passionate about football with some extremely vocal fans. Can only imagine the noise watching them play at a packed Wembley during a World Cup considering how they were at South Africa.
Also we wouldn't have all those half empty stadiums as there were in this World Cup.
I guess it would also mean that the Scottish, Irish and Welsh football fans wouldn't have far to go to watch the tournament either.

Relvant info:
England hasn't hosted a World Cup since 1966 - where as most of us know they won it.
The decisions as to who will be hosting the 2018 and 2022 World Cup's will be revealed on 2nd December 2010.
Heres a link to an article about FA chief Lord Triesman and his allegations that Spain and Russia were planning to bribe referees in the 2010 World Cup.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wo...n-Russia-bid-bribe-referees-South-Africa.html
It was thought that these allegations could have a serious impact on Englands bid to host the competition.

Last edited:
I think we would do a brilliant job in hosting the world cup.

We have all the facilities,stadium and infrastructure so I see no problem at all...its pretty safe too,safer than South Africa thats for sure so a World Cup In England will be kickass as many people will be able to come with no Problem

Hope they get it, only a small boat journey over from Dublin and I'll be at the World Cup :D

the sad thing is, us getting is nothing to do it with the infrastructure, because we quite frankly blow everyone else away. it comes down to ****** politics as usual

One thing I found weird about the article though was that the inspectors talk about how great the facilities are but then go on to talk about how there is also a great celebirty lineup - "The quality of the pitches was absolutely world class, so was the line-up of celebrities we had the chance to meet."
Wtf has that got to do with football?

We have all of the stadiums, facilities, transport and organisation to be able to hold the World Cup tomorrow if they asked us to, but that's not what it comes down to, I would say Russia are favourites because FIFA are looking to really branch football out, as seen with the World Cup being hosted in Africa for the first time, Russia are kind of an up-and-coming nation in football, I know they didn't qualify for the World Cup but players like Arshavin, Pavlyuchenko etc playing for big European teams and the Russian league becoming stronger (Zenit won the UEFA Cup/Europa League recently) is increasing their profile and they hosted the Champions league final in 2008 (I think?), the only problem I can see, unless all of the matches are held in the West of the country, is with the sheer size of the country and time differences.

If the World Cup was decided by who was best suited to hold it, England would get it, no doubt.

We won't get it because Fifa like to be the nice people who are doing all these countries a favour by letting them host the World Cup. Did South Africa get it because they made the best bid? Probably not, but it looks good for Fifa because they're helping the country develop.

Its true that politics play a huge role in who gets to host the World Cup.
The main competitors for the 2018 bid seem to be England, Russia, Spain and Portugal jointly, USA and Qatar.
I assume out of all of those countries the only one less popular than England is the USA.
The Lord Triesman ordeal was a big blow to our chances as well seeing as how he accuses Spain and Russia of cheating and also goes on to talk about how he thinks all the latin american countries are corrupt. Apparently in the secret recording that was taken of him he says that all the latin american countries will be voting for Spain which is going to make it even tougher to get the bid.
Having said that most of the African continent seem to be putting their support behind the England bid, as well as it being popular in the USA and parts of Asia. Maybe there is a better chance than people think.
It does seem ridiculous to me that England hasn't had a World Cup since 1966 when it is clearly so well equipped to deal with one.

If you consider nations who have held 2 World Cups so far, and in the near future, these are Germany, Brazil and Mexico (although they got it because of Colombia´s withdraw at the end). In any way, being an argentine, would love to see it happen in England. I must admit that you are best suited to host the tournament. If it doesnt go to England, I would see with keen eyes if it goes to Russia.

Now, the important and most frustrating thing is that due to Continental rotation enforced now, Europe would get a WC every 20 years or so.

Really hope england get this, and i strongly believe we will, it was one of the last things the late paul the octopus predicted... and i trust him :)

Be great for me seeing as some games could be played in plymouth, even if it is just ghana vs mexico its still an experiance

Look think about it. It's whoever has the most money for Fifa which equals - RUSSIA!

After all the fuss about Spain/Portugal and Russia, and Englands media bringing up scandals at FIFA i so hope Holland/Belgium has a chance because we had no 'scandals' as such yet. But to be honest i think it will be Russia.

For one reason i hope it in particular. Then my club gets a new stadium for sure. Otherwise those plans will take many more years :)

Current stadium capacity 51.000

De_Kuip5.jpg

New stadium capacity 65.000 upto 85.000

photo.jpg

England is the obvious choice. Got the infrastructure, transport and stadiums already. And of course it will make the most money which fifa like. Spain/Portugal is also very strong, better weather and stadiums plus already have the infrastructure etc. Just a small problem, they are broke and could struggle to fund the tournament.

Russia are the favourites. But I would hate it if they got it. Weather is against them, so are the stadiums (national stadium doesn't even have a grass pitch). Travelling would be a ***** due to the shear size of the country. Chance of hooliganism is high (riots last couple of weeks) and the Fifa don't need that.

Taking everything into account think England are the best option along with Spain/Portugal. Obviously the economy a major problem in Spain/Portugal so I think England should get it.

England's best chance to host a world cup in years and the BBC try to **** it up by putting "the public interest's first." My ******* balls.

Here in Portugal everyone says that we will get it without any doubt. Personally, I'm not that sure. like andid said, we are broke, but Spain is far better and most of the stadiums to be built are there. Tbh, I don't know why we have our name in the bid as most of the games will be in Spain. The only thing our bid has that the others don't is the weather. And the worst is the economic situation.
England bid is far more consistent and their only weakness is the hospitality. I've been reading the reports and a WC in England would be far better to the fans as everything is nearer to everything, and you can do those distances by car. In Spain/Portugal, you can't go from Lisbon or Oporto to Barcelona by car.
I don't trust either the Russia and Benelux bids as the russians hotels are just like those shown in the worst movies about Russia, and the transportation isn't good as well. No to talk about their weather. The benelux bid is good, but I think they're missing a role. I see everyone talking about the other bids and sometimes I forgot they're bidding as well... But maybe that's what will give them the World Cup. We'll find out tomorrow. I'll be happy if Portugal or England wins.

damaged now because of the fights at st andrews?

Last edited:
Russia are the favourites. But I would hate it if they got it. Weather is against them, so are the stadiums (national stadium doesn't even have a grass pitch). Travelling would be a ***** due to the shear size of the country. Chance of hooliganism is high (riots last couple of weeks) and the Fifa don't need that.

They're very racist as-well.