England Squad to face Denmark

• Thread starter Thread starter Jack Fulham
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 304
  • Views Views 15K
Yeah, I got that wrong totally.
images_smilies_facepalm.gif

It disappoints me that Jack Rodwell isn't selected and Barry is. Barry is just being used as a blanket for the lack of naturally-defensive midfielders in the squad since Owen Hargreaves wasn't always pulling up with an injury.

Rodwell deserves a chance. He's young, he's talented, has a whole career ahead of him, and would have a great chance of making a name for himself internationally if he was regularly selected and given a chance. He's also versatile, so that comes as a bonus. Him and Wilshere in central midfield would become a good partnership.

But, it's a good squad. Foster has been a good player for Birmingham, Hart definitely deserves a call-up and Stockdale has a shot. I think that possibly Phil Jagielka should have been selected, too.

Rodwell's injured mate :)

The midfield seems very strange. All attacking players in midfield and no strong ball winner.

Hart
Johnson Dawson Terry Cole
Wilshere Lampard
Walcott Rooney Milner
Bent​

Weird line up, but maybe he's seen that Rooney has been creating and not scoring for United, and Bent has been scoring for Sunderland and Villa and thought this could work. My question though, is if this works - where does it leave Steven Gerrard?

We're fecked. As we were discussing earlier, this is either a masterstroke or suicidal from Capello. No holding mid, and expecting Jack Wilshere to do the donkey work in defence? Dear lord...

All good, apart from the cutting in wide men bit: Capello seems set on playing inverted wingers (no bad thing) so Young will hopefully play left. If Walcott plays right, which I hope he does, we'll have enough width to work it. Not convinced about Lampard in the hole, but we'll see.

If we play a rigid 4-4-2 I will gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

GC, get your camera out and post this later eh? ;)

This seems a bit crazy? Does Wilshere have the defensive discipline to cover for Lampard's runs?

We all know what happened the last time England played only one true holding midfielder alongside Lampard!(albeit that was against a much stronger german team).

And this seems like a standard 4-4-2, Rooney and Bent up front, with Rooney possibly dropping deep a lot and Milner playing a more defensive role?

GC, get your camera out and post this later eh? ;)

Ahaaa, I said RIGID. It may not be rigid. If Rooney drops deep, Lampard runs box to box and Wilshere holds, it'll look like a 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 cross.

Here's hoping...

Hart
Johnson Dawson Terry Cole
Wilshere Lampard
Walcott Rooney Milner
Bent​

Weird line up, but maybe he's seen that Rooney has been creating and not scoring for United, and Bent has been scoring for Sunderland and Villa and thought this could work. My question though, is if this works - where does it leave Steven Gerrard?

Think Gerrard will play the Wilshere role to be honest depending on the game.

This seems a bit crazy? Does Wilshere have the defensive discipline to cover for Lampard's runs?

We all know what happened the last time England played only one true holding midfielder alongside Lampard!(albeit that was against a much stronger german team).

And this seems like a standard 4-4-2, Rooney and Bent up front, with Rooney possibly dropping deep a lot and Milner playing a more defensive role?

Seems it, but it isn't. Fabio said in his press conference yesterday that Bent would start as a lone striker so Rooney should be playing off him.. but mehh it is Capello.

Upsettingly, Sorensen starts in goal and Lindegaard is on the bench :(

Denmark have a very strong defensive unit. Agger, Kjaer, Poulsen, Sorensen/Lindegaard etc. Good solid side.

Back