England Squad to face Denmark

Frank Lampard confirmed as Captain in absence of Ferdinand and Gerrard.

One England captain!!! Yes its because of a few withdraws but fair play to the lad.

I'm actually scared by what Capello is thinking. already knew he would start wilshere in cemtral mid (nothing crazy about that) but assumed he'd be alongside barry, who is at the very least some pale imitation of a holding player. But it seems he wants play lampard alongside wishere, and pair Rooney with Bent.

How much more attacking do you want to be, this will either be amazing or we will be overrun through the middle

depends Denmark are decent opposition on their day and Lamps is teaming with Wilshere in the centre, dont see much logic in that unless Capello wants to play Lamps/Wilshere for ne half each alongside Barry

depends Denmark are decent opposition on their day and Lamps is teaming with Wilshere in the centre, dont see much logic in that unless Capello wants to play Lamps/Wilshere for ne half each alongside Barry
hes starting wilshere, and lamps is captain and therefore will start

hes starting wilshere, and lamps is captain and therefore will start

damm, dont know how he plans to do this, i hope he is not underestimating Denmark cos it is clearly looking like so

I'm actually scared by what Capello is thinking. already knew he would start wilshere in cemtral mid (nothing crazy about that) but assumed he'd be alongside barry, who is at the very least some pale imitation of a holding player. But it seems he wants play lampard alongside wishere, and pair Rooney with Bent.

How much more attacking do you want to be, this will either be amazing or we will be overrun through the middle

Where did he say that? I was told he was going 4-2-3-1 with Barry and Wilshere holding.

Where did he say that? I was told he was going 4-2-3-1 with Barry and Wilshere holding.
he initially said so about wilshere in the telegraph, thought i'd put it up, it was a detailed talk about how he views wilshere as a deep lying player, a more technical version of makelele, but that he would need to be partnered with someone else in front of the back four. But if his intention is to start rooney and bent, then lampard must be playing im cm alonside wilshere

Not sure what Capello is trying to do once again. Last outing he played Henderson as a holding midfielder which he clearly wasn't and now he is doing it with Wilshere which is frustrating. It would be nice if we had someone like Xabi Alonso to play as holder but our closing thing to that is Michael Carrick but his passing is nowhere near as good.

Well we just have to wait and see during the friendly

Wilshere deep works, its where he's been playing for arsenal, but you require holding/combative player to help (arsenal have song/diaby) playing lampard is either a stroke of genius, or mental

Does it say Rooney will start? Bent is confirmed to start, but I didn't catch anything on Rooney...

Wilshere deep works, its where he's been playing for arsenal, but you require holding/combative player to help (arsenal have song/diaby) playing lampard is either a stroke of genius, or mental

Nigel Reo Coker or Rodwell.

Lampard didn't work as holder when we played Lampard/Gerrard in the centre and then Gerrard didn't work well on the left when we played Barry/Lampard midfield which is frustrating. It is a shame because Owen Hargreaves :'( would be the perfect candidate in centre midfield for either Gerrard or Lampard. However, a Gerrard/Scholes partnership was very successful during 2002 qualifying and neither were true holding midfielder's at that time so maybe a Lampard/Wilshere could work.

Wilshere has been playing deeper and deeper this season, though. It's no surprise tbh - Wenger said a week or two ago he wouldn't be worried about Wilshere playing the deeper role for England.

In terms of Arsenal - it works perfectly for us in the midfield: He and Song are always covering for each other anyway, and he's only 19 (this being his first full season in the PL) and therefore still has young legs and isn't quite up to the level of the rest of the league. As a result, Wilshere sits slightly deeper, meaning Wenger and co. can keep an eye on his fitness and he doesn't overwork himself - He's had to learn quickly to cover for Alex Song when he bombs forward, or to move into space when Fabregas drops back into CM to dictate the temp and control the game.

His role is explained very briefly here but what I've said is slightly more of in-depth..

Wilshere can also cover in the wide positions, he usually plays the MLC slot, and since Clichy is generally pretty attack, like Cashley Hole, he should be used to covering that space.

The only thing I'd be worried about is him being isolated a little too much in CM - Lampard will probably spend most of his time in the AMC slot, and I can't see Walcott/whoever plays LW dropping back to help him in CM - this is exactly what happened against Newcastle (although they tended to bypass the midfield a fair bit) where Diaby was sent off and Fabregas wasn't really used to playing so deep. Wilshere will have to be careful and reduce his attacking runs - of course he will - but Lampard must also have more of a controlling game rather than just playing behind the striker and getting into the box too often.

Is Jack Rodwell a holding midfielder? I haven't seen him much but against Blackpool he played pretty much as an attacking minded midfielder.

Didn't see this.. Just explained this in significantly more words...

Capello said earlier that Bent will play as the lone striker. So the 4-3-2-1 looks likely.

Is Jack Rodwell a holding midfielder? I haven't seen him much but against Blackpool he played pretty much as an attacking minded midfielder.

He's played all over the shop.. Against Arsenal he started off in a narrow 3 man midfield, but dropped back to CB (and made two crucial mistakes) when Bendtner came on.

He does like to get forward though, I think Moyes is still trying to get the best out of him - if he finds a set position, he could be a top player IMO

Put a fiver on England to win 3-0 today.. 22-1