England Squad to face Denmark

Capello said earlier that Bent will play as the lone striker. So the 4-3-2-1 looks likely.

In which case, we could be fine. Doubt Capello will play a Christmas Tree though, it'll probably be 4-2-3-1 if anything, which worries me as Lampard isn't at his best playing in the hole, rather driving into it from deep.

Pretty weird that Rodwell is not in the england squad then. Maybe Capello thinks he should play for the U-21 for a while more. Or maybe he should move to a top club and play regulary there. I think City should replace Barry with him next season! He would surely play for england after that.

In which case, we could be fine. Doubt Capello will play a Christmas Tree though, it'll probably be 4-2-3-1 if anything, which worries me as Lampard isn't at his best playing in the hole, rather driving into it from deep.

It's probably fine if Bent's up top though, being a poacher rather than Drogba, who plays deeper than a lot of STs + We don't have in-cutting wide men - Walcott and whoever plays LW will presumably hug the line, leaving Lampard in a fair bit of space in the hole - it could work wonders if Wilshere and a half-decent DM played together in the centre..

same worry here GC, someone more suited to the role would be Gerrard, Lampard is best when he has time and space as he has a great vision, and can split defences apart by a single long pass, still he can do well in the hole, after all internationals are all about players having to adjust to a new tactic and team as quickly as possible and thats what make them so challenging

So is he not playing Wayne or do we not know

It's probably fine if Bent's up top though, being a poacher rather than Drogba, who plays deeper than a lot of STs + We don't have in-cutting wide men - Walcott and whoever plays LW will presumably hug the line, leaving Lampard in a fair bit of space in the hole - it could work wonders if Wilshere and a half-decent DM played together in the centre..

All good, apart from the cutting in wide men bit: Capello seems set on playing inverted wingers (no bad thing) so Young will hopefully play left. If Walcott plays right, which I hope he does, we'll have enough width to work it. Not convinced about Lampard in the hole, but we'll see.

If we play a rigid 4-4-2 I will gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

Pretty weird that Rodwell is not in the england squad then. Maybe Capello thinks he should play for the U-21 for a while more. Or maybe he should move to a top club and play regulary there. I think City should replace Barry with him next season! He would surely play for england after that.

I know this isn't about City - but in reference to England, he probably wouldn't even play that much and force his way into the England team.

De Jong, Toure, Kompany, Zabaleta all able to compete for that spot - More likely to go to Utd if anywhere, IMO - They need to replace Scholes/Carrick/Hargreaves.

Hopefully Rooney doesn't play, especially as we have City on the weekend. The less he plays for England the better from a Man Utd point of view.

Last edited:
All good, apart from the cutting in wide men bit: Capello seems set on playing inverted wingers (no bad thing) so Young will hopefully play left. If Walcott plays right, which I hope he does, we'll have enough width to work it. Not convinced about Lampard in the hole, but we'll see.

Haha

That's my point, as long as we have two natural wingers who hug the touchline, Lampard should have enough space to perform in the AMC slot, otherwise, of course it won't work!

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Hopefully Rooney doesn't play, especially as we have City on the weekend. The less he plays for England the better.

Not that he'll make much difference ;) JOKE

Did you see how many Arsenal players mysteriously pulled out of international friendlies with flu and upset stomachs? Brilliant :D

I know this isn't about City - but in reference to England, he probably wouldn't even play that much and force his way into the England team.

De Jong, Toure, Kompany, Zabaleta all able to compete for that spot - More likely to go to Utd if anywhere, IMO - They need to replace Scholes/Carrick/Hargreaves.

Well, this goes a bit offtopic but: Mancini plays usually with 3 midfielders in the centre. De Jong as destroyer and Barry beside him. And yaya as a bit more attacking minded. Zaba plays either right or left back. And Kompany in the centre. So i think Rodwell would fit in well. And Mancini once said that he is an intresting player but Everton would probly not sell. And because they look especially for english home-grown players. Maybe Everton will sell in the summer?

And remember what Capello said? That CIty could be like the other world cup winning squads. And have england internationals playing together at City. It would benefit the national team. But i can't see them getting as much as Italy and Barcelona had in their World cup winning squads :D

Last edited:
Its a definate that either Terry or Gerrard will pull out if not both of them.

My moneys on Gerrard now Liverpool have picked up their form. Hes **** anyway who needs him?

That squad is the sort of thing that should have gone to the World Cup. FORM PLAYERS AND YOUTH! Sprinkled with a few outstanding players like Terry and an on form Rooney not the 1 who stuffs his face with Sausage rolls when hes injured.

I dont watch England anymore though after that disgraceful World Cup.

had to leave work so couldnt finish. am expecting/hoping a 4-2-3-1 as i wrote last wednesday. 4-4-2 and i will cry. im hoping we go with asymmetric wingers, one coming in, one giving natural width

Hope Lindegaard starts this game. Haven't watched much of him. This would be good time to get some game time.

Why the f*ck is SSN putting so much pressure on Wilshere? Jesus, that just seems so unnecessary.

Still can't believe Barton isn't picked. Him and Nolan have been the best English midfielders this season. I know I seem biased, but many have said it.

Anyway,
2-0 England

Hart, Johnson, Dawson, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Wilshere, Walcott, Rooney, Milner and Bent in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Why the f*ck is SSN putting so much pressure on Wilshere? Jesus, that just seems so unnecessary.

Capello has come out and said he's one of the best players he's worked with comparing him to Baresi and Pirlo. Not sure whether this is down to his ability or attitude because Baresi was a defender. Probably a bit of both.