England squad to face Montenegro & U21's to face Romania

• Thread starter Thread starter Jack Fulham
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 228
  • Views Views 13K
where did i say not to expect a win?

Anything less than a win tonight was the result of a shocking performance.

You're saying that the performance wasn't shocking, ergo you didn't expect a win.

It ties in nicely.

Anything less than a win tonight was the result of a shocking performance.

You're saying that the performance wasn't shocking, ergo you didn't expect a win.

It ties in nicely.
no, a draw is poor, a loss would have been shocking, as that would have left us more than game.

no, a draw is poor, a loss would have been shocking, as that would have left us more than game.

A draw at home against a weakened side more then 25 places below us in the world rankings, is shocking, we are meant to be a major nation, we should win every home game.

A draw or a loss is a shocking result.

I'm not a bandwagoner. We should expect to win these games. Not with regards to how many points we pick up, but because we are more than capable!

I don't see how you can defend that performance as anything other than how I described it.

Listen, you lot, you're grossly underrating Montenegro. They're a tactically sound and disciplined side with a solid, workmanlike defence and a hard-working midfield. They rely almost exclusively on the individual talents in attack to win them games. They came here with the express purpose of nicking a point, even more so when Vucinic was injured. When a team defends deep and breaks up play as effectively as they did, then there's little you can do about it, especially when considering our options up front.

Yes, things weren't quite right and yes, we need to improve. However, we were not outplayed, but outfought and outthought. Bad result, but not shocking.

It was shocking, we didn't attempt to change anything when things were going badly, Gerrard wasn't moved further forward. I mean what is the point in playing inverted wingers with Crouch in the middle? That should of been changed early on when we realised that cutting in wasn't gonna happen because there were just too many bodies in the way. It was a shocking display by England and Capello's tactics were too easy to read, you'd of thought he'd changed a few things at half time but he didn't.

A draw or a loss is a shocking result.

I'm not a bandwagoner. We should expect to win these games. Not with regards to how many points we pick up, but because we are more than capable!

I don't see how you can defend that performance as anything other than how I described it.
i not really defending it, i just dont think we were shocking, we could have played worse (and have done at that) you call it shocking, i think it was poor, we're just splitting hairs on the fact that we should have won. I just dont agree on the booing, hardly going to make them play better

Listen, you lot, you're grossly underrating Montenegro. They're a tactically sound and disciplined side with a solid, workmanlike defence and a hard-working midfield. They rely almost exclusively on the individual talents in attack to win them games. They came here with the express purpose of nicking a point, even more so when Vucinic was injured. When a team defends deep and breaks up play as effectively as they did, then there's little you can do about it, especially when considering our options up front.

Yes, things weren't quite right and yes, we need to improve. However, we were not outplayed, but outfought and outthought. Bad result, but not shocking.

I'm not underrating Montenegro. I just expect a team earning around 2 million pound per week between them to turn up and put in a good performance at the national stadium.

We should have won, regardless of our opponents' work ethic. I honestly believe that, but I can't say I didn't half expect us to fall short.

I agree that Capello got his tactics wrong yet again. How many of the top international teams play 4-4-2?

See, our performance against Algeria in the world cup was truly shocking. This was just poor. That's my definition, anyway.

I agree that Capello got his tactics wrong yet again. How many of the top international teams play 4-4-2?

Whilst I agree... Uruguay.

I'm not underrating Montenegro. I just expect a team earning around 2 million pound per week between them to turn up and put in a good performance at the national stadium.

We should have won, regardless of our opponents' work ethic. I honestly believe that, but I can't say I didn't half expect us to fall short.

They might've done, had Montenegro not played so well. They had a plan and executed it perfectly. Alright, our players should have had the quality to deal with it but in this case they didn't. It's a shame, but well done Montenegro.

The second part is silliness. Just saying "Oh we should have won regardless of how hard they worked" is belittling both the Montenegrins and the importance of work rate in a football match.

Last edited:
Can't understand why he didn't bring Wilshere on, the game was crying out for him, there was virtually no link up play between the midfielders and strikers, except when Young came in sometimes. Gerrard and Barry sat far too deep.

Can't understand why he didn't bring Wilshere on, the game was crying out for him, there was virtually no link up play between the midfielders and strikers, except when Young came in sometimes. Gerrard and Barry sat far too deep.
agreed. wilshere for crouch, feeding rooneys runs

I think the main problem was that Gerrard and Barry were sitting to deep, it meant there cm's could commit themselves to closing down our wingers because the Gerrard and Barry were pretty much level with our cb's, it meant the Montenegro striker was able to close them down whenever they had the ball. The lack of movement to get in behind Rooney and Crouch was appalling. We were too static (quote townsend) whenever we had the ball. Only a few ambitious runs from Johnson offered much hope but we definitely asked too much of our wingers tonight considering the little support they were given.

I think the main problem was that Gerrard and Barry were sitting to deep, it meant there cm's could commit themselves to closing down our wingers because the Gerrard and Barry were pretty much level with our cb's, it meant the Montenegro striker was able to close them down whenever they had the ball. The lack of movement to get in behind Rooney and Crouch was appalling. We were too static (quote townsend) whenever we had the ball. Only a few ambitious runs from Johnson offered much hope but we definitely asked too much of our wingers tonight considering the little support they were given.
i was incredibly suprised at gerrards total lack of runs. if anything i was expecting him to make too many. but what he also need is the space created by the leading forward (normally defoe) to peel into the channels and dragging a man. crouch doesnt offer you that and against a 4-5-1 its very clogged in the middle

i not really defending it, i just dont think we were shocking, we could have played worse (and have done at that) you call it shocking, i think it was poor, we're just splitting hairs on the fact that we should have won. I just dont agree on the booing, hardly going to make them play better

You wouldn't boo because you don't think it would encourage them to play better?

The fans boo because they didn't feel like the England team worked hard enough tonight. They boo because they know the team is capable of so much more than they gave. If you take the time, and pay the money, to go and watch your national team play football, and they put around 50-60% of their ability on show, then I think you have every right to boo your heart out, especially when most, if not all, of the fans in that stadium expected us to win tonight. If you were there, the last thing you'd be thinking about is the next match. You'd be thinking "I saved up all week for this? What a load of ****. Booooooooooooooooooooo!"

I think the most frustrating thing was the lack of changes made when everybody with one eye, let alone two, could see that the system wasn't working at all tonight.

GodCubes said:
The second part is silliness. Just saying "Oh we should have won regardless of how hard they worked" is belittling both the Montenegrins and the importance of work rate in a football match.

Regardless of their own work rate, ours should have been higher. Had it been, we would have been looking at a win, despite their performance tonight.

i was incredibly suprised at gerrards total lack of runs. if anything i was expecting him to make too many. but what he also need is the space created by the leading forward (normally defoe) to peel into the channels and dragging a man. crouch doesnt offer you that and against a 4-5-1 its very clogged in the middle

Crouch offered zilch with the ball at his feet tonight, he is too easy to go to ground, he doesn't have the upper body strength to bully the opposition centre halfs like Drogba, Zamora or Davies (note that does not mean I am comparing them as equals). We would of been better off with Davies (bless his cotton socks) on the whole game or even Carlton Cole to be honest. I know about Crouch's goal scoring record but he was poor throughout.

You wouldn't boo because you don't think it would encourage them to play better?

The fans boo because they didn't feel like the England team worked hard enough tonight. They boo because they know the team is capable of so much more than they gave. If you take the time, and pay the money, to go and watch your national team play football, and they put around 50-60% of their ability on show, then I think you have every right to boo your heart out, especially when most, if not all, of the fans in that stadium expected us to win tonight. If you were there, the last thing you'd be thinking about is the next match. You'd be thinking "I saved up all week for this? What a load of ****. Booooooooooooooooooooo!"

I think the most frustrating thing was the lack of changes made when everybody with one eye, let alone two, could see that the system wasn't working at all tonight.

Regardless of their own work rate, ours should have been higher. Had it been, we would have been looking at a win, despite their performance tonight.
i would be fuming , but i wouldnt boo, guess thats where we differ.

totally with you on the lack of changes, and the ones he did make were somewhat baffling. Why SWP? it was clear we needed a link to the forwards in the middle = wilshere, and then one of him or gerrard takes a more advanced role behind rooney

Sometimes I'm afraid that's just not possible. For instance, we can't out-pass the Spanish. Today, we couldn't out-work the Montenegrins.

I must say I'm team madsheep and Godcubed here.

Back