England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Well the England squad was announced, and I'm very puzzled by the inclusion of Rickie Lambert. Don't get me wrong, I like him personally. But he's only started one game if I'm not mistaken? I'm hearing some strange inclusions.

Happy for West Brom striker Saido Berahino earning his place. 8 goals in 13 for West Brom-very bright future indeed

Last edited:
Carrick, Walcott and Barkley should have had more time in my opinion. All just come back from lengthy injuries and the last thing they need is a hectic schedule

Lambert shouldn't have been picked. Hodgson said Johnson wasn't included due to a lack of playing time so it should go for all players

Downing's form has been good so I can see why he has been included. There isn't exactly a huge amount of talent in those positions as well

Well the England squad was announced, and I'm very puzzled by the inclusion of Rickie Lambert. Don't get me wrong, I like him personally. But he's only started one game if I'm not mistaken? I'm hearing some strange inclusions.

Happy for West Brom striker Saido Berahino earning his place. 8 goals in 13 for West Brom-very bright future indeed

Adam Johnson, all but confirmed, its who you play for not how you play.

On the bench at MCFC in every squad.
In form on the pitch at Sunderland 0 caps.

And here's the squad for anyone who isn't aware at the moment:

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Ben Foster (West Brom), Joe Hart (Manchester City).
Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).
Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United, Stewart Downing (West Ham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).
Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Welbeck (Arsenal), Saido Berahino (West Brom)

(Source: BBC (It had a neater layout))

Do we think Townsends injury means it is more likely Theo will be utilised? Personally i don't think he should be anywhere near the squad in terms of playing after just returning from serious injury. If you want to take him for his 'experience' or to get him used to the group and training etc again then fine. But i don't want to see him play more than a few minutes when (hopefully) a game is already won.

On a similar theme, not really sure why Townsend was in the squad to begin with? OK so he has raised his game and performed well for England when called upon, but he has been injured/garbage for Tottenham all season so far. If we are calling up players like Downing and Berahino on form, why are calling up Townsend and Walcott ahead of Dyer and Routledge? Or taking a bit more of a punt, why is Lambert getting a look in ahead of Kane and Austin.

Same story with Carrick, hasn't played, clearly not fit, OK he is experienced but is he likely to start? I think no, and the decision not to call up a replacement now he is injured tells me all i need to know about his call up in the first place. Instead of Carrick, why not take someone like Ryan Mason or Jack Colback and give them a feel for it.

Do we think Townsends injury means it is more likely Theo will be utilised? Personally i don't think he should be anywhere near the squad in terms of playing after just returning from serious injury. If you want to take him for his 'experience' or to get him used to the group and training etc again then fine. But i don't want to see him play more than a few minutes when (hopefully) a game is already won.

On a similar theme, not really sure why Townsend was in the squad to begin with? OK so he has raised his game and performed well for England when called upon, but he has been injured/garbage for Tottenham all season so far. If we are calling up players like Downing and Berahino on form, why are calling up Townsend and Walcott ahead of Dyer and Routledge? Or taking a bit more of a punt, why is Lambert getting a look in ahead of Kane and Austin.

Same story with Carrick, hasn't played, clearly not fit, OK he is experienced but is he likely to start? I think no, and the decision not to call up a replacement now he is injured tells me all i need to know about his call up in the first place. Instead of Carrick, why not take someone like Ryan Mason or Jack Colback and give them a feel for it.

IIRC Wenger gave Theo his blessing to go entirely BECAUSE he needed to improve his match fitness. Game time would do him the world of good.

Townsend is in the squad 'cause he plays well for England. Much as I don't like him being there, I think that's a pretty legit reason to include him.

Carrick, perhaps it's the same deal as Walcott. Not really sure.

Just stinks of 'same old same old' to me. Berahino & Downing (who ironically is a 'same old same old' hangover from the dark days of Capello, and maybe even Sven) aside, there is a stubborn refusal to look at anyone different, even when the players Roy clearly wants/has used in the past are injured/out of form.

Ultimately the 2 games should pose little challenge to our defence. We may struggle to break down Slovenia especially (who i think will set up for a point) so it won't really matter if he have our 'best' side or a slightly experimental one. You can't play football against a brick wall. Why not give someone young, hungry and determined to impress that kind of challenge? They are probably more likely to be effective than an established player who is probably already thinking about his next premier league/champions league game.

Wenger may have given his blessing, but taking a player who relies on pace immediately after a serious ligament injury is hugely risky for very little reward in my opinion. The risk of a recurrence of the injury is real and very damaging. And the potential reward, in terms of getting a quality performance is pretty low. It has been said time and time again that the kind of player Theo is will take much longer to get back into the swing of things compared to a big bruising marauder of a player or a technical ball player like a Pirlo or (retro) Riquelme, who do little to no running in a game. Shouldn't Theo be doing more fitness work with Arsenal this week instead of being risked like this?

You watch Theo score a hat trick against Scotland now. oO)

Disappointed to see Charlie Austin miss out. He has started the season on fire in a struggling QPR side

Absolitely horrific, so so boring.

Plus i have to see jack's mug, which is never something i want.

Good performance I thought tonight bar Milner and Downing. Thought Sterling was pants when he came on to.

It would had have been more difficult if Scotland played less open football, like when they played Germany. The problem was for Scotland and Gordon Strachan they thought they could beat England in their backyard, if they played more defensive and counter-attack England, England would found it difficult to break down a stubborn defence like usual when they play weaker opposition, Because they have enough world class creativity in the team. Also I didn't like Scots booing our National anthem, if it was any other Nation booing opposition National anthem they would been criticized for it by Pundits.

LOL Souness well bitter towards Rooney!
So is he saying that his old mate from Liverpool and Scotland Kenny Dalglish wasn't world class because he didn't performed well or had starring role in a major international competitions then?.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed to find out some of English supporters were singing ant-IRA songs this morning, as it taken gloss off England good performance last night against Scotland.

Back