England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
That's why I think Rooney and Kane together is currently a mistake. If we had a good holding midfielder then it would work, but if we play any combination Henderson/Shelvey/Milner/Barkley/Wilshere in the pivot I think we'll get destroyed through the middle.

Yeah, then dropping Rooney is the only solution because as a lone striker Rooney is not playing well at all. IIRC only in 2009-10 season he played as lone striker and he was beast back then.

Doubt it though, looks like Rooney is undroppable for both club and country which is a mistake IMO.

Hopefully Van Gaal plays him with other striker rather than as lone striker.

so I have had some sleep and Subtle indirectly jogged my memory, if I piqued anyones interest with the book earlier

~http://www.proz-x.com/stephanlangdon/Library/URCORE/Soccernomics, 3e.pdf

that's a pdf of the book, the baseball theory what it is based upon is Bill James book Baseball Abstract, and Billy Beane's application of it too real world baseball with the boston red sox I think anyway after a quick scan of the opening chapter

In case anyone isn't aware yet, Fifa have announced that the World Cup in Qatar will be played from 21 November to 18 December 2022, World Cup Final will be December 18 2022.

In case anyone isn't aware yet, Fifa have announced that the World Cup in Qatar will be played from 21 November to 18 December 2022, World Cup Final will be December 18 2022.

Tbf holding it mid season will be a better spectacle none of this fatigued **** and players will be match sharp so long as leagues dont stop for a month before the competition. But on the flip side should never have gone to Qatar, and this is potentially going to cause so much havoc with european leagues its untrue.

Tbf holding it mid season will be a better spectacle none of this fatigued **** and players will be match sharp so long as leagues dont stop for a month before the competition. But on the flip side should never have gone to Qatar, and this is potentially going to cause so much havoc with european leagues its untrue.

Well the Swiss Attorney General has announced criminal proceedings have been opened against Sepp Blatter. Interesting times ahead

Well the Swiss Attorney General has announced criminal proceedings have been opened against Sepp Blatter. Interesting times ahead

Hopefully the Russian one gets revoked too so we then host it. Quite how they are allowed to host one is beyond me with the goings on in Ukraine etc

Hopefully the Russian one gets revoked too so we then host it. Quite how they are allowed to host one is beyond me with the goings on in Ukraine etc

That's the awkward situation with regards to the Russian World Cup. I think it absolutely sucks balls big time. I hate Putin with every ounce of my being-but I'll stop there before going on some political diatribe. Unfortunately, football has become embroiled in the politics of the situation now. If it was switched it definately has the potential to aggravate the situation significantly. When the US announced there was going to be an investigation, the USSR-sorry Putin-immediately went on an anti-Western rant. It's (unfortunately) a case where in this case it's best to leave it where it is-it may have the potential to thaw relations. Football should never be used in politics-it's a sport. But in this situation-the scenario is just far too unstable there. Just one tiny spark could aggravate things a lot

I don't think what's happening in Ukraine should have any bearing on the decision to host the WC. Sport and politics should be kept entirely separate and world cups awarded entirely on the sporting merits of biding countries

Yeah, we've seen that **** tried during the Cold War and it does nothing but hurt the sport. If you take WC from the Russkies, Russia and its client countries will most definitely pull out of the whole tournament in retaliation. World Cup is too rare event to mess it up like that.

I don't think what's happening in Ukraine should have any bearing on the decision to host the WC. Sport and politics should be kept entirely separate and world cups awarded entirely on the sporting merits of biding countries

Surely them annexing a part of another country has some bearing on whether they host a world event which said country can potentially qualify for?

Would you let North Korea host it if they could provide facilities?would you let it happen in Syria with a war going on? Would you let Greece host it whilst they are in **** tonnes of debt?

I am sorry but of course the political landscape affects whether a country can host a massive world event. The process to host it is politically motivated for a start

We're NEVER getting a WC so long as that rat Platini is involved. And Russia shouldn't host if for no other reason than their Neanderthal fans who just want to hit anything that moves with any weapon available whilst the bizzies just stand aside.

One of the worst Country's to visit as a travelling fan. And that's before you even start with the Visa bollocks.

Last edited:
That's the awkward situation with regards to the Russian World Cup. I think it absolutely sucks balls big time. I hate Putin with every ounce of my being-but I'll stop there before going on some political diatribe. Unfortunately, football has become embroiled in the politics of the situation now. If it was switched it definately has the potential to aggravate the situation significantly. When the US announced there was going to be an investigation, the USSR-sorry Putin-immediately went on an anti-Western rant. It's (unfortunately) a case where in this case it's best to leave it where it is-it may have the potential to thaw relations. Football should never be used in politics-it's a sport. But in this situation-the scenario is just far too unstable there. Just one tiny spark could aggravate things a lot

Yeah i get your point i just would love to see it on home soil which is looking increasingly unlikely in my life time

Surely them annexing a part of another country has some bearing on whether they host a world event which said country can potentially qualify for?

Would you let North Korea host it if they could provide facilities?would you let it happen in Syria with a war going on? Would you let Greece host it whilst they are in **** tonnes of debt?

I am sorry but of course the political landscape affects whether a country can host a massive world event. The process to host it is politically motivated for a start

Going by that logic, the US should never be allowed to host a sporting event considering they invaded two countries recently and did countless other inhumane acts which just doesn't get as much attention in western media as Putins antics

Yes I have no problem with North Korea hosting it. Syria will fail to host it not because of political reasons but because they simply cannot provide a proper environment due to the civil war so it's still on sporting merits

As Tyton said, World Cup should not be used as an avenue to play politics. Not giving it to countries just because they are run by some dictator only makes it appear as a western backed tool rather than a inclusive sporting event which transcends politics and other boundaries and brings people together

It's the same logic why we still allow North Korea to compete in the Olympics. Or why we hosted the European games in Azerbaijan recently despite it being run by a shady dictator

We're NEVER getting a WC so long as that rat Platini is involved. And Russia shouldn't host if for no other reason than their Neanderthal fans who just want to hit anything that moves with any weapon available whilst the bizzies just stand aside.

One men of the worst Country's to visit as a travelling fan. And that's before you even start with the Visa bollocks.

Exactly, the only problem I have with Russia hosting it is because the travel is going to be a pain, racism is heavy and the process was tainted by corruption. Putin annexing part of a country may be inhumane but it should not be a factor in the decision making process

Going by that logic, the US should never be allowed to host a sporting event considering they invaded two countries recently and did countless other inhumane acts which just doesn't get as much attention in western media as Putins antics

Yes I have no problem with North Korea hosting it. Syria will fail to host it not because of political reasons but because they simply cannot provide a proper environment due to the civil war so it's still on sporting merits

As Tyton said, World Cup should not be used as an avenue to play politics. Not giving it to countries just because they are run by some dictator only makes it appear as a western backed tool rather than a inclusive sporting event which transcends politics and other boundaries and brings people together

It's the same logic why we still allow North Korea to compete in the Olympics. Or why we hosted the European games in Azerbaijan recently despite it being run by a shady dictator

Really? You have no problem with North Korea holding a World Cup? I'm not even gunna bother with this ridiculous argument, enjoy your day Alcaraz

One men of the worst Country's to visit as a travelling fan. And that's before you even start with the Visa bollocks.

Dont forget the rampant racism that they give players from their own club nevermind anyone elses

Exactly, the only problem I have with Russia hosting it is because the travel is going to be a pain, racism is heavy and the process was tainted by corruption. Putin annexing part of a country may be inhumane but it should not be a factor in the decision making process

Yeah, and the seemingly acceptable, par for the course racism.

Visa's now are an absolute nightmare. First you need an invitation from a Russian source to the Embassy. The online form is then a nightmare to understand and if you make one mistake they'll turn you away. Then you have to go to the Embassy in either London or Edingburgh to hand it in and do the finger print scan. And they only open Mon- Fri. so that's a day off work and travel if you don't live there. All for over a hundred notes. Which bumps up to 120 or so when you pay them the postage to return your Visa. A real ball ache and expense before you've even started with flights and accommodation. And I've seen lads literally refused entry at Moscow airport for one, and put on the first plane back the UK, if there's one thing out of place with the visa.

We make it as hard for them like coming here so it's a political *** for tat but it still doesn't make it right.

Oh, and then there's the Country's Russia won't acknowledge. For instance if you have an Israeli stamp on your passi, even if the visa's in order they won't let you in.

One of the worst Country's to travel to.

Dont forget the rampant racism that they give players from their own club nevermind anyone elses

You know, I've heard that **** when we organized Euro 2012 with Ukraine. BBC was running scare "documentaries" about racist skinhead culture amongst football fans in Poland, and Sol Campbell went on national television claming that any black fans traveling to Euro will come back in a coffin. How did that work out? Not one person got even a scratch in either of two countries.

There's shitheads everywhere, but the media will run a story of 5 ****** screaming racist chants, not a story of 50.000 fans who are calm and not bothering anybody.

Most Russians I've met were great and hospitable people, and more importantly, a club game is not an NT tournament, things are usually a lot more relaxed. I think it will be as safe trip as any.

You know, I've heard that **** when we organized Euro 2012 with Ukraine. BBC was running scare "documentaries" about racist skinhead culture amongst football fans in Poland, and Sol Campbell went on national television claming that any black fans traveling to Euro will come back in a coffin. How did that work out? Not one person got even a scratch in either of two countries.

There's shitheads everywhere, but the media will run a story of 5 ****** screaming racist chants, not a story of 50.000 fans who are calm and not bothering anybody.

Most Russians I've met were great and hospitable people, and more importantly, a club game is not an NT tournament, things are usually a lot more relaxed. I think it will be as safe trip as any.

The eyes of the World are on a major tournament. Security goes up ten fold and if anything did happen it would get swept under the carpet.

Going to Zenit or Legia for example for a European tie is a COMPLETELY different animal.

Back