England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
You know, I've heard that **** when we organized Euro 2012 with Ukraine. BBC was running scare "documentaries" about racist skinhead culture amongst football fans in Poland, and Sol Campbell went on national television claming that any black fans traveling to Euro will come back in a coffin. How did that work out? Not one person got even a scratch in either of two countries.

There's shitheads everywhere, but the media will run a story of 5 ****** screaming racist chants, not a story of 50.000 fans who are calm and not bothering anybody.

Most Russians I've met were great and hospitable people, and more importantly, a club game is not an NT tournament, things are usually a lot more relaxed. I think it will be as safe trip as any.

Believe me when I say I know there is shitheads everywhere, I support Leeds I see it every match day I attend. And I am not saying that Russia as a country is inherently Racist or anything like that, I had to do factory work to put me through uni so met a fair few Russians and Poles for that matter so I know first hand that they're not racists. **** Englands probably got one of the worst racist undercurrants going right now especially where I live in the north.

But what I will say is that Russian club football does suffer from problems with Racism, look at what happened with Emanuel Frimpong or was it when Odemwingie moved across here there was something happened which was bad from his old club (something like thank you for signing our black player someone correct me if I am wrong).

Now I should have been clearer in what I was saying earlier, I am not saying that Russia should not have a world cup because of one single thing, and yeah because of the political fallout mentioned by yourself and gramps yeah it would be a political shitstorm. But when you add everything together Racism, Ukraine, FIFA Corruption, Hooliganism, Visa issues etc, etc I am just saying me personally I have reservations about attending, and even though I fortunate enough to be in a financial position that I could go, looking at everything holistically I will not be.

next paragraph is an edit

I hope this has cleared up any crossed wires and that I have been clearer on how I feel about things, also that is not to say that anything bad will happen at the world cup or anything like that, and people can disagree with my views I do not mind, I am not one of these shout you down types, you have your views and I have mine, but mine basically come down to this I have a mrs and 2 kids knowing everything I know about the world, the situations I have been in, travelling Brazil and then up and down the UK and Europe following the love of my life Leeds United, would I feel safe with them 3 in Russia, probably not and for me that is all it comes down too. Again hope I have been clear.

Last edited:
..... I am not one of these shout you down types, you have your views and I have mine, but mine basically come down to this I have a mrs and 2 kids knowing everything I know about the world, the situations I have been in, travelling Brazil and then up and down the UK and Europe following the love of my life Leeds United, would I feel safe with them 3 in Russia, probably not and for me that is all it comes down too. .....

Russia is a dodgy place to go at the best of times even when there's no football involved (Italy aside I don't think there's a more corrupt Country in every day life going. And something goes wrong who are you going to complain to way out there?); but for the WC I would imagine they'd be completely on top of everything to put out the usual false facade to the watching eyes of the World.

But a club game against most clubs in Russia/ Ukraine, or even Warsaw for Tyton, is certainly NOT one you want to be taking woman and kids to. That should be strictly boys only who know what to expect and know how to keep a low profile and avoid ****. Can't be carrying passengers when you're looking out for your own back. The Russian attitude is if you've travelled, you're serious and there for a fight. Even somewhere as aesthetically beautiful as St. Petersburg where you'd think would be a great few days was a constant battle trying to avoid **** even through the day time.

Russia is a dodgy place to go at the best of times even when there's no football involved (Italy aside I don't think there's a more corrupt Country in every day life going. And something goes wrong who are you going to complain to way out there?); but for the WC I would imagine they'd be completely on top of everything to put out the usual false facade to the watching eyes of the World.

But a club game against most clubs in Russia/ Ukraine, or even Warsaw for Tyton, is certainly NOT one you want to be taking woman and kids to. That should be strictly boys only who know what to expect and know how to keep a low profile and avoid ****. Can't be carrying passengers when you're looking out for your own back. The Russian attitude is if you've travelled, you're serious and there for a fight. Even somewhere as aesthetically beautiful as St. Petersburg where you'd think would be a great few days was a constant battle trying to avoid **** even through the day time.

TBH Never done Poland or Russia or anywhere in that region, furthest I have been was Belgrade to watch us beat Partizan so cannot really comment. We was fine in Belgrade was a bit scary at first but I was only 16, few went looking for it and from what we heard they found it but we was treat great. Scariest places I have been with leeds believe or not was Germany in Munich and Besiktas was unreal but also in a good way if tht makes sense.

edit - also maybe that is my problem I still look at stuff from club football angle

edit edit - besiktas is further than Belgrade lol

Last edited:
Yeah, what Scouse says. Club game away and a World Cup are light years apart. On away game you'll be interacting with the most rabid fans who ARE out to get you, and the cops don't really give a **** if you get stabbed in an alley.

World Cup though? You're just interacting with general population, which is a different thing entirely, and every country needs to put on a good show, so security is everywhere. Every big tournament in remote location there's the same scares, but eventually everything turns out ok.

I mean, we did have this thing happen, so its not all roses and daisies. But that's Poland-Russia game, which is still extremely loaded politcally because of WW2. And the Russians didn't help themselves by carying hammer and sickle symbols in the middle of Warsaw, which is about as good idea as traveling to Israel with Swastika tatooed on your face. And then again, security was all over it instantly.

[video=youtube;VWIfFYdVUpw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWIfFYdVUpw[/video]

Really? You have no problem with North Korea holding a World Cup? I'm not even gunna bother with this ridiculous argument, enjoy your day Alcaraz

The old 'this argument is so ridiculous that I won't even bother to entertain it' line does not constitute a meaningful rebuttal

If you don't want to hold the World Cup in North Korea then why are you okay with holding the European games in Azerbaijan or the Beijing Olympics in China which are both run by brutal authoritarian regimes that clamp down heavily on dissidents. Why are you okay with North Korea participating in the World Cup, olympics or any other sporting event for that matter if you believe they should be isolated completely?

Sport should NEVER be used a vehicle to play politics. The whole purpose of events such as the World Cup is to bring people together for the love of the game and promote inclusiveness transcending things such as race, language, religion, politics etc.

That pass from Barkley to Walcott and the run by Walcott. Sublime

Poland is a much safer country than Ukraine and Russia. Ukraine and Russia are dangerous, particularly Russia if you're non-white. I've been to Krakow Poland and I'm black. It was lovely. I've heard many horror stories of Russia and Ukraine, particularly in the Asian part of Russia.

Poland is a much safer country than Ukraine and Russia. Ukraine and Russia are dangerous, particularly Russia if you're non-white. I've been to Krakow Poland and I'm black. It was lovely. I've heard many horror stories of Russia and Ukraine, particularly in the Asian part of Russia.
but just think if your black and gay in russia

Dream start for Vardy on his first England call up from bench to set up 2nd goal. Happy for the lad. 2-0

Dream start for Vardy on his first England call up from bench to set up 2nd goal. Happy for the lad. 2-0
3rd England call-up...

Frustrated he didn't start tonight. A much better option than Kane at the moment imo.

3rd England call-up...

Frustrated he didn't start tonight. A much better option than Kane at the moment imo.

Aye typo/brainfart on my part. downside of being awake 36 hours :S

He'll get his chance soon enough. Ol' Woy made a few strange decisions which is nothing new.

Performance though overall was decent-nothing exceptional. Workmanlike

3rd England call-up...

Better form - yes
Better player - no

The issue with being a national team manager is that the media and everyone around wants the players in the best form to be in the national team squad, while glamour players who hit a bad patch should be dropped. The issue with this is that the national team manager needs a clearer idea of who's good enough to be in there in the long term. Vardy may be in good form, however would it be shocking if he failed to replicate his early season form and fade into obscurity? I think not. He needs to prove that he can sustain his level of performance in the long term, therefore Kane, Rooney and Sturridge should be ahead of him in the England squad. In my opinion, England have the best depth in strikers out of all national teams. Kane, Rooney and Sturridge have all scored 20+ in league seasons, while most countries have only one half decent striker. Roy Hodgson must go if he fails to qualify from the European Championship group.

Still think Vardy will score 20 league goals this season. But I'm a Leicester fan, so probably biased ;)

Still how do you know Kane's form last season wasn't just a one-off run? Or Sturridge will be fit? It's all guessing really, and you have to give one of the league's best players at the moment a real chance to prove himself.

Roy Hodgson says Joe Hart, Gary Cahill and James Milner wont go to Lithuania, Jack Butland, Phil Jones and Jonjo Shelvey will play on Monday. Also said Rooney and Carrick won't make the trip - he says he doesn't know yet who will be capt

Better form - yes
Better player - no

The issue with being a national team manager is that the media and everyone around wants the players in the best form to be in the national team squad, while glamour players who hit a bad patch should be dropped. The issue with this is that the national team manager needs a clearer idea of who's good enough to be in there in the long term. Vardy may be in good form, however would it be shocking if he failed to replicate his early season form and fade into obscurity? I think not. He needs to prove that he can sustain his level of performance in the long term, therefore Kane, Rooney and Sturridge should be ahead of him in the England squad. In my opinion, England have the best depth in strikers out of all national teams. Kane, Rooney and Sturridge have all scored 20+ in league seasons, while most countries have only one half decent striker. Roy Hodgson must go if he fails to qualify from the European Championship group.

I take your Kane Rooney and Sturridge and raise you Messi, Aguero, Higuaín, Dybala etc ;)

edit forgot tevez too

Last edited:
Still think Vardy will score 20 league goals this season. But I'm a Leicester fan, so probably biased ;)

Still how do you know Kane's form last season wasn't just a one-off run? Or Sturridge will be fit? It's all guessing really, and you have to give one of the league's best players at the moment a real chance to prove himself.
Whilst Vardy is in impressive form, I don't think he will reach 20 goals this season.

Also Kane is still proving doubters right atm despite scoring an offside goal so he doesn't warrant a place either.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

B In my opinion, England have the best depth in strikers out of all national teams. Kane, Rooney and Sturridge have all scored 20+ in league seasons, while most countries have only one half decent striker.

Jesus ******* Christ.

Jesus ******* Christ.

It doesn't even shock me anymore tbh

few more

Colombia Falcao, Bacca, Martinez, Gutierrez
France Benzema, Giroud, Greizmann, Lacazette
Belgium Benteke, Lukaku,then the other young prospects
Spain Costa Morata then the countless wide AM/F9 they can play

Think you get the picture

Jesus ******* Christ.

It doesn't even shock me anymore tbh

few more

Colombia Falcao, Bacca, Martinez, Gutierrez
France Benzema, Giroud, Greizmann, Lacazette
Belgium Benteke, Lukaku,then the other young prospects
Spain Costa Morata then the countless wide AM/F9 they can play

Think you get the picture
Spain are a country that have awful striker depth. How can you even compare them upfront to England? Before Costa, they had to play Fabregas upfront! Surely, Kane, Rooney and Sturridge are better than attacking mids and false 9's? Morata has never scored more than 8 goals in a league season.

Neither Benteke or Lukaku have scored 20 in a league season. You can't compare prospects like Origi with players that have scored 20+ league goals in a top league.

Lacazette and Giroud have only scored 20+ league goals in the French league. In the BPL, Giroud is a 15-20 league goal striker, although France have very good depth there.

Falcao hasn't been the same since he ruptured his ACL and his career at top level will slowly vanish in most likelihood. Bacca is a top striker and it will be very interesting to see how Martinez gets on in Spain. So far he has 1 league goal in 7.

Fact is that England, France and Argentina are the only national teams with 20+ league goal player that scored those tallys in England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France. Since Argentina aren't European, the only national team with comparable depth upfront is France. Ask Germany is they would like England's striking options!

The real worry is of who's going to play the holding midfield role for England. Two Estonian passes cut England open like a knife through hot butter. The next problem is the playmaking role. Players like Jonjo Shelvey haven't cut it there and decision making in the final third was shocking. The only player that's good enough in that role is Jack Wilshere. England are very strong out wide with players like Sterling, Walcott, Chamberlain etc. Likewise at the back, Cahill and Smalling I think is a very good pairing and Clyne is a solid defence first full back. It would be interesting to see who gets the left back spot.
I take your Kane Rooney and Sturridge and raise you Messi, Aguero, Higuaín, Dybala etc ;)

edit forgot tevez too
When making that statement, I was mainly thinking of European nations. Forgetting Argentina, many nations would bite their hand off to have that striker depth.
Lavezzi and Lamela as well for what it's worth
Lavezzi and Lamela aren't strikers. Lavezzi hasn't even his the 10 goal mark in a league season and Lamela hit 15 for Roma, however he's struggled to apply that to a better league.

Back