England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Spain are a country that have awful striker depth. How can you even compare them upfront to England? Before Costa, they had to play Fabregas upfront! Surely, Kane, Rooney and Sturridge are better than attacking mids and false 9's? Morata has never scored more than 8 goals in a league season.

Neither Benteke or Lukaku have scored 20 in a league season. You can't compare prospects like Origi with players that have scored 20+ league goals in a top league.

Lacazette and Giroud have only scored 20+ league goals in the French league. In the BPL, Giroud is a 15-20 league goal striker, although France have very good depth there.

Falcao hasn't been the same since he ruptured his ACL and his career at top level will slowly vanish in most likelihood. Bacca is a top striker and it will be very interesting to see how Martinez gets on in Spain. So far he has 1 league goal in 7.

Fact is that England, France and Argentina are the only national teams with 20+ league goal player that scored those tallys in England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France. Since Argentina aren't European, the only national team with comparable depth upfront is France. Ask Germany is they would like England's striking options!

The real worry is of who's going to play the holding midfield role for England. Two Estonian passes cut England open like a knife through hot butter. The next problem is the playmaking role. Players like Jonjo Shelvey haven't cut it there and decision making in the final third was shocking. The only player that's good enough in that role is Jack Wilshere. England are very strong out wide with players like Sterling, Walcott, Chamberlain etc. Likewise at the back, Cahill and Smalling I think is a very good pairing and Clyne is a solid defence first full back. It would be interesting to see who gets the left back spot.

When making that statement, I was mainly thinking of European nations. Forgetting Argentina, many nations would bite their hand off to have that striker depth.

Lavezzi and Lamela aren't strikers. Lavezzi hasn't even his the 10 goal mark in a league season and Lamela hit 15 for Roma, however he's struggled to apply that to a better league.

Rooneys last 20+ league haul was in 2012-13, Sturridge only had one 20+ league haul in 2013-14 and Harry has done it once.

I am sure Germany would not swap Muller (I know is not strictly astriker but he bangs in the goals) for all 3 of those tbf, and you know they only won a world cup.

On Spain they do not have awful Striker depth at all, Morata is young and although he may not have hit mega amounts of goals he is still IMO at least, a quality player, there is a reason there is a buyback clause and that RM will most likely use it.

CBA to even go through the rest, but it is a game of opinions, and if you think our striking options are among the worlds best then fair play mate, I really don't but I do agree on the DM part. Wilshere looked great in that role in the little I saw of him in it, we need to give him more time in it so he becomes accustomed to it when he gets back fit. I also think we are just poor under Hodgson and will get found out again in Euro 2016. It is a shame because if we picked a team to play to our strengths I think we could be a lot more effective.

Little Segway here I am sure it was just paper talk but I saw the other day Brendao is on the FA shortlist to replace Woy what do people think about that.

Sorry to be quite so incompetent with quoting etc, newly signed up so I thought I'd just leave it. But anyway I'm really not sure how you could say Spain's striking options are quite so bad, I think Alcacer, Morata and Diego Costa will be more than enough for a good few goals come the summer. Then when you consider the fact they are assisted by the likes of Silva, Thiago, Mata and Fabregas (players that keep someone like Ander Herrera out of even the 23, when I firmly believe he would be a guaranteed starter for England), you'd have to definitely fancy them against anyone but maybe France and Germany. Rodgers would be my choice for England manager, as whilst some of his decision making towards the end at Liverpool was abhorrent, I think he has the right ideas. Dropping Gerrard got a lot of stick in some big games for Liverpool last season, but his desire to play young prospects has to be admired, I think he has the man management skills to get the best out of the likes of Barkley, Sterling and the Ox, and let's face it, he's never been blessed with a) an embarrassment of riches with regards to top draw players or b) a particular transfer nous. The England role would mean no misguided transfer market dealings, one of his downfalls, and a limited but reasonably solid team to impress a modern style of football on, something I think Roy has dabbled with, but he's always been too safe, Brendo at least recognises in form players, but does share a weakness with Hodgson, and that is playing players out of position, however I'm not sure there are too many better alternatives.

Sorry to be quite so incompetent with quoting etc, newly signed up so I thought I'd just leave it.....

Welcome man. Good to have you. It can get heated around here but in the main there's a pretty decent group of 'regulars.' Enjoy.

To quote, just literally click on 'Reply with Quote' on the task bar at the bottom of every post for a single quote. To quote multiple posts, just check the 'Multi-Quote This Message' box to the right of this on the relevant pieces you want to quote and again click on 'Reply With Quote' when your ready. You can then edit/ format them as you so wish.

Pretty straight forward and you don't sound incompetent at all. Just using someone using something new.

Anyone off to Spain Friday? Next 3 days at work are going to drag...

Last edited:
After everything I have witnessed on Sky news I hope that the match between England and France is called off. It would be absolutely absurd for it to take place after what has happened. It is simply not worth the risk. There's more important things than a football match. Even though the FFF and FA are holding talks to discuss the situation, there is nothng to discuss it must be rearranged. It would simply not be appropriate

After everything I have witnessed on Sky news I hope that the match between England and France is called off. It would be absolutely absurd for it to take place after what has happened. It is simply not worth the risk. There's more important things than a football match. Even though the FFF and FA are holding talks to discuss the situation, there is nothng to discuss it must be rearranged. It would simply not be appropriate

Amen brother. This shouldn't even be up for discussion. Completely and utterly crass and insensitive to have the French play a game of football when they're in such a state of National mourning for so many needless lives taken. Sport matters little at times like this.

Thoughts and prayers to all over the channel after the horrendous, gutless devastation of last night.

They've decided to go ahead with the match. I'm going to be honest I'm disappointed with this. I know the spirit of not letting terrorists win but I cannot support this. It's just too volatile a situation.

They've decided to go ahead with the match. I'm going to be honest I'm disappointed with this. I know the spirit of not letting terrorists win but I cannot support this. It's just too volatile a situation.

Where did you read/ see that bud?

Not finding anything official either way.

Where did you read/ see that bud?

Not finding anything official either way.

Found out on Twitter via French football journo Jonathon Johnson

BREAKING: The FFF & the FA have OFFICIALLY decided to go ahead with next Tuesday's planned England-France friendly

FFF's decision to play England friendly reportedly stands unless Elysée, French staff & players decide against it.

You do realise that a terrorist attack in London is near impossible? As they found Syrian and Egyptian passports with the terrorists, it seems that terrorists have snuck into Europe and smuggled illegal firearms among refugees. There's no way they're smuggling weapons through an airports, let alone after a terrorist attack. There are also higher numbers of rapid response armed police units in major cities.

This isn't going to directly affect Britain as we are not Schengen and have proper borders (isolated by water). This is more of a Central European problem. The best outcome would be to play the friendly, as the UK would probably be the safest place in Europe thus far and the overall grand size of the friendly makes the go-ahead the likely best outcome.

This isn't going to directly affect Britain as we are not Schengen and have proper borders (isolated by water). This is more of a Central European problem. The best outcome would be to play the friendly, as the UK would probably be the safest place in Europe thus far and the overall grand size of the friendly makes the go-ahead the likely best outcome.

Pretty much. Not only UK has water border but the security is battle hardened after decades of dealing with all domestic stuff. First place I would run to if some **** goes down. Australia is out because spiders.

Last edited:
1. London has been attacked before
2. Dont be *******. Play the game as its important for French healing.

1. London has been attacked before
2. Dont be *******. Play the game as its important for French healing.

A little strong on the second point.

Very split on the game being played personally. I can fully appreciate the stand point of not letting the terrorists win; but it just seems so inappropriate so soon after Friday nights horrors.

To somewhat equate, I remember the aftermath of Sheffield and having zero interest in football. What had been just about the most important thing in my young life back then just didn't matter. At all. Three weeks or so later when we finally did get back to playing, was one of the strangest, hardest things ever. I know I'm referencing two completely different tragedy's, but the sentiment remains for me. The same way on 9/11 I'll never forgive UEFA for having us play that very evening on the excuse it was 'too short notice to postpone all the European fixtures.' They did the following night on the Wednesday. Another excessively strange atmosphere as nobody had the stomach at all for a game of football after spending all afternoon watching the attacks Stateside happen.

That said, if those are the French wishes, then I fully understand and respect that. They will be warmly welcomed and this tragically horrific event honoured with the utmost respect as you'd expect.

Pretty much. Not only UK has water border but the security is battle hardened after decades of dealing with all domestic stuff. First place I would run to if some **** goes down. Australia is out because spiders.

Being as we're currently home to more darn Poles than are in Poland, you'll feel right at home. :P.

Being as we're currently home to more darn Poles than are in Poland, you'll feel right at home. :P.

We really pulled some Illuminati-level plot on the world. Spraying tens of millions of immigrants all over the planet, while taking basically 0 ourselves.

Lingard is called up for England squad to replace Vardy/Carrick. It's so easy to get England call up, all he has to do is play for one opf top 6-8 clubs and even easier if he is in top 4 clubs and warming bench.

Lingard is called up for England squad to replace Vardy/Carrick. It's so easy to get England call up, all he has to do is play for one opf top 6-8 clubs and even easier if he is in top 4 clubs and warming bench.

Sponsers have a big influence on most NT these days. If you are at a top club then that equals more exposure. Take the Brazil NT, its common knowledge that Dunga has his hands tied when making decisions. I mean calling up Kaka seriously?. Its a farce tbh.

Sponsers have a big influence on most NT these days. If you are at a top club then that equals more exposure. Take the Brazil NT, its common knowledge that Dunga has his hands tied when making decisions. I mean calling up Kaka seriously?. Its a farce tbh.

Yeah Brazil's case is beyond parody now. Most of the call ups are because of sponsorship.

I don't think that's the case with England though, just poor selections and influenced by the hype.

Back