England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Thought Can was their best attacking threat today. Most everything good they did went through him the right hand side. But yeah, a little strange Low has slotted him in there. The difference with Germany though, is he can bomb forward for Germany and it doesn't matter as much when he's out of position as everyone else just slides over and in to cover.

We exploited his flank to great effect during the quals. I guess tactical preparation isn't Woy's thing.

England with Rooney = Out of group stages if we're lucky.

England without Rooney and picking the right team = If we do well, Semi Finals.

I think it's more of a mentality thing than rooney. Let's see what England can do without rooney in the team.

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

We exploited his flank to great effect during the quals. I guess tactical preparation isn't Woy's thing.

Bit harsh. Shown by tonights performance we were exploiting that flank quite a bit.

Plus I'm not a big fan of Hodgson but I still think he has done some good stuff in his career.

Like taking Fulham to a Europa League final was a good accomplishment.

England with Rooney = Out of group stages if we're lucky.

England without Rooney and picking the right team = If we do well, Semi Finals.

Friendlies = England always play well and get your hopes up.
Actual Tournament = Bottle job.

You take Rooney to the tournament. You see how he does in the friendlies before the game. If he's doing well, him and Vardy up front. If he's doing bad, Kane and Vardy.

Hodgson's 'finest moment' as England manager'- 4 years in. Winning a friendly.

THATS your manager. Progress of sorts for him I guess.

Last edited:
I would love it if Rooney shut people up this summer, absolutely love it. He should be up front with Kane in a narrow diamond formation, assuming he's back before the end of the season.

I would love it if Rooney shut people up this summer, absolutely love it. He should be up front with Kane in a narrow diamond formation, assuming he's back before the end of the season.

Would be absolutely absurd if Rooney didn't start with Kane. Rooney has bags of experience, 51 goals to his name. If he does not start (unless injured) then I won't flip my table. I'll launch it through the window

Would be absolutely absurd if Rooney didn't start with Kane. Rooney has bags of experience, 51 goals to his name. If he does not start (unless injured) then I won't flip my table. I'll launch it through the window

Regardless of what we think on Rooney, good or bad, it's not even open to debate. NO England manager, let alone Hodgson, is NOT going to start Rooney. They'd get absolutely crucified under hill and over hill if they didn't. And none of them are strong enough to stand up to that.

I'm sorry but if Rooney continues to play the way he has throughout the season then no you do not start him at all he has been terrible. The whole United forum has been saying the same thing all season, so if he is not the right player to lead the line for united then what makes him good enough to lead the line for England? Especially when we have 2 strikers who have scored 20+ league goals by time the season ends? If he has not been good enough all season then he is not going to magically turn it on at the Euros. Don't get me wrong I would love for him to be back to his best but it really does not look likely. And if his form stayed the same and we picked him that would be utter bollocks and doing what we always do.

I wouldn't even put him at the 10, we look sp much mpre balanced in a 4-3-3 and tbf Kane and Vardy would work pretty well even in a diamond.

I'm sorry but if Rooney continues to play the way he has throughout the season then no you do not start him at all he has been terrible. The whole United forum has been saying the same thing all season, so if he is not the right player to lead the line for united then what makes him good enough to lead the line for England? Especially when we have 2 strikers who have scored 20+ league goals by time the season ends? If he has not been good enough all season then he is not going to magically turn it on at the Euros. Don't get me wrong I would love for him to be back to his best but it really does not look likely. And if his form stayed the same and we picked him that would be utter bollocks and doing what we always do.

I wouldn't even put him at the 10, we look sp much mpre balanced in a 4-3-3 and tbf Kane and Vardy would work pretty well even in a diamond.

Wouldn't even have him in the 22 when you've Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and even Welbeck to select from. For his experience? Meh has he even turned up for an International tournament outside of his first as a relatively unknown 18 year old in 2004?

But you know full well not only will he be in the 22, he'll be starting EVERY game. Hodgson is nowhere near strong enough to drop his captain and face the backlash he'd get.

It's wrong. But it just is what it is and has been with certain clubs/ players from Englan National team managers as long as either of us can remember. Pleasantly surprising he's picked Vardy being who he ply's his trade for.

Wouldn't even have him in the 22 when you've Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and even Welbeck to select from. For his experience? Meh has he even turned up for an International tournament outside of his first as a relatively unknown 18 year old in 2004?

But you know full well not only will he be in the 22, he'll be starting EVERY game. Hodgson is nowhere near strong enough to drop his captain and face the backlash he'd get.

It's wrong. But it just is what it is and has been with certain clubs/ players from Englan National team managers as long as either of us can remember. Pleasantly surprising he's picked Vardy being who he ply's his trade for.

Oh yeah I agree he will take him and probably start him and do what every England manager has done and shoehorn players into a side instead of picking the best team. And yes you are right he has not turned up for a tourney but think that is England as a whole tbh.

I'd take him and go with 5 strikers because Welbeck pretty much operates as a wide player anyhow at least for England (cannot comment on for arsenal do not watch them enough).

I just think last night was the blue print on how we should be playing. Finally using the strengths of the league and our players with the intensity etc, but would I mind a hungry, ****** off Wayne Rooney coming off the bench and fighting for a place in the team with a point to prove? I think that could be the best outcome going forward but alas its probably a moot point as like you say I doubt Hodgson has the balls to do it.

His England form has been nowhere near as bad as his United form in 2015. He's the captain and all-time top scorer, he might divide opinion amongst football fans but all his teammates respect him. People say he hasn't done much in tournaments yet they want a 29 year old with 5 caps and 1 friendly goal to replace him. Fair enough, Vardy has been brilliant for Leicester, but there's no guarantees he'll repeat that for his country. I'd rather have him coming off the bench and hopefully tearing up tired defences, than start him over one of the few leaders we have. Kane on the other hand has at least contributed in the qualifiers, and I'm very confident he'll deliver at the Euros.

His England form has been nowhere near as bad as his United form in 2015. He's the captain and all-time top scorer, he might divide opinion amongst football fans but all his teammates respect him. People say he hasn't done much in tournaments yet they want a 29 year old with 5 caps and 1 friendly goal to replace him. Fair enough, Vardy has been brilliant for Leicester, but there's no guarantees he'll repeat that for his country. I'd rather have him coming off the bench and hopefully tearing up tired defences, than start him over one of the few leaders we have. Kane on the other hand has at least contributed in the qualifiers, and I'm very confident he'll deliver at the Euros.

What has Wayne Rooney done to be justify a starting berth this season? You're quick to say there is no guarantees that Vardy can do it. Well Rooney has been absolutely wank all season long barring a few games. You only have to look in the United thread, I think even Mike is tired of his performances. Also using qualifying is not a great example really did you see who we had in our group?

Also I am not saying we go Vardy and Kane, but if it was a 2 then you start with them. Kane has really worked on his link up play and bringing people into play, you saw it last night as he came a bit deeper and brought people into the game. Also with the energy and intensity that Vardy operates at harassing defenders it could well be a good partnership.

Thing is if Sturridge was fit enough this would all be moot because you surely go with Kane and Sturridge, I cannot be the only one who see's the potential in that one. I think them two together is pretty scary, I agree with scouse though I think you have to leave him at home and let him rest and get a proper pre season under his belt. Him breaking down mid tournament helps no one and then you can work with Pool and get him going for the world cup. It also helps we have Vardy who can operate a very similar role even though he is not technically as good as Sturridge.

Sorry mate scoring against Faroe Islands and other third rate European countries does not justify picking a player who has been in decline since 2011. England should pick a team that works well together, not try shoehorn Rooney into the side somewere. Vardy scored against germany what more does he have to prove lol. A hattrick against San Marino?. Are you sure your not Woy in disguise...

Last edited:
I'd definitely play Vardy over Sturridge tbh. It's critical for these tournaments to be in top shape, and Vardy only plays one game a week so he won't be exhausted after the season.

Jack Butland is out of the Euro's with an ankle fracture

Back