England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
In fairness, should have seen it coming under Hodgson. where is Ralf Rangnick when you need him?

Or take Martinez and use 3-4-3. Would've been refreshing change and I think England has plenty of players who fit that system perfectly.

Anyways with or without Carrick, we are still ****... Anyways Carrick is 30, can see SAF working his magic and convincing Carrick to retire from International Football like he did with Vidic ;)

Bad management is making us ****.. get it right. The squad we have or could of had would of been a match for anyone apart from the top dogs. We are better than Sweden and Ukraine in our group, so I expect us to get out of that.

He wasn't going to play much, England's problem
Should have fought for his place. Impress in training and the warm up matches, not throw a strop and refuse to play for your country. IMHO, to refuse to play for your country is pretty disgraceful.

Should have fought for his place. Impress in training and the warm up matches, not throw a strop and refuse to play for your country. IMHO, to refuse to play for your country is pretty disgraceful.
sigh, read up in this thread. ceebs to say the same things repeatedly.

Bullshit. Carrick can impress all he wants, but this season has shown that he's arguably our best midfielder and no matter how well he does we won't value him or play him. He's not willing to go through the same bullshit Paul Scholes did, I cannot blame him one bit.

I don't see what would be so bad about not wanting to play? Carrick is not 18 years old, football career doesn't last forever.

He propably has 2 more years of playing at top level, in his place think i'd rather take well deserved vacation and take care of my health, instead of spending a month being drilled by Roy just to sit on bench.

Bullshit. Carrick can impress all he wants, but this season has shown that he's arguably our best midfielder and no matter how well he does we won't value him or play him. He's not willing to go through the same bullshit Paul Scholes did, I cannot blame him one bit.

Not sure how sitting on the bench is 'bullshit'. Or even being on the reserve list. Any chance to play for your country should be valued, even if you and others believe you should be playing. If someone gets injured or pulls out and Carrick had to play, and he had a stormer, then he would make it near on impossible to get dropped. Doing what he is doing is just making it impossible for England to select him.

Not sure how sitting on the bench is 'bullshit'. Or even being on the reserve list. Any chance to play for your country should be valued, even if you and others believe you should be playing. If someone gets injured or pulls out and Carrick had to play, and he had a stormer, then he would make it near on impossible to get dropped. Doing what he is doing is just making it impossible for England to select him.

Thing is though, it's very hard to 'have a stormer' when you're the type of player he is. Xavi only truly got the recognition he deserved after a decade of top-class performances when Barcelona became one of the best teams ever, for example. Being a supremely tidy and accomplished passer as well a a top-class interceptor really isn't something that stands out for watchers of the game, particularly English fans, players and managers.

I'm sure he values playing for his country, but I'm also pretty sure that after having a brilliant season and playing as well as he could, he's also feeling a little jaded by the prospect of going to a tournament, training every day and then being overlooked in favour of shoehorning players who can't play his role as well as he can - Gerrard - into the team.

I understand he may want a break after a tough season with United, but what he is essentially also doing is stropping. It is manager's job to pick the team, and no matter what he thinks, he should be proud to represent his country. If I was called up to the England squad, even if I didn't play, I would be proud.

I really don't understand this thing about breaks, I know professionals play a lot of games; but they get paid enormous amounts for doing so and should not take a rest when a major international tournament is on! If I can train, go to school and play on Sundays, I don't see why they can't. I know it's different, but they are much more fit than the rest of us!

However, he is entitled to do whatever he wants so, although I disagree with his actions, I respect his decision!

​- PZW

I can kind of relate to Carrick here, when I was younger I played GK for my local team. Unfortunately, the other GK was also the manager's son, and therefore, got Captaincy, free-kicks, penalties, 1st name on the teamsheet etc, even though in training I performed much better week in, week out. I quit about 6 months into this (training twice a week), as opposed to being sat on the bench every game and being told ridiculous excuses by the manager every match.

****, I remember him letting a backpass clean under him one cup match, what happened? The defender who passed it got the hairdryer treatment at FT even though he did everything right.

To the point, Carrick has a reason to be mad. Why should he go, only to be benched in favour of inferior players, when;
1: He has proven at the highest level that he is one of England's ONLY playmakers, yet Hodgson describes him as a holding mid?
And:
2: He's had the season of his life before the Euros, and gets dropped in favour of Barry (Yaya made him look much better than he was this year) and Henderson (Really?!?)

Apologies for the long anecdote, but I feel Carrick had a right to turn round and say "I feel I deserve a first team role rather than being a bench player", since (at nowhere near the same level, obviously) I've had something similar happen in respect to decisions on teamsheets

Last edited:
Screw this Carrick talk, look no further than Jonathan Wilkes for England IMO after tonight's performance.

I can kind of relate to Carrick here, when I was younger I played GK for my local team. Unfortunately, the other GK was also the manager's son, and therefore, got Captaincy, free-kicks, penalties, 1st name on the teamsheet etc, even though in training I performed much better week in, week out. I quit about 6 months into this (training twice a week), as opposed to being sat on the bench every game and being told ridiculous excuses by the manager every match.

Know what you mean. Had same problem, but I only switched of to local rivals. Next match was against my old team and I scored twice and assisted one when we won 5-0. Best day of my life so far that day and it was crowned seeing the coaches son crying and raging when game ended.

I understand he may want a break after a tough season with United, but what he is essentially also doing is stropping. It is manager's job to pick the team, and no matter what he thinks, he should be proud to represent his country. If I was called up to the England squad, even if I didn't play, I would be proud.

I really don't understand this thing about breaks, I know professionals play a lot of games; but they get paid enormous amounts for doing so and should not take a rest when a major international tournament is on! If I can train, go to school and play on Sundays, I don't see why they can't. I know it's different, but they are much more fit than the rest of us!

However, he is entitled to do whatever he wants so, although I disagree with his actions, I respect his decision!

​- PZW

Professional sport, is very different to playing for school. Getting paid loads does not prevent your body from breaking down, or physical/mental exhaustion.

Last edited:
Anyways with or without Carrick, we are still ****... Anyways Carrick is 30, can see SAF working his magic and convincing Carrick to retire from International Football like he did with Vidic ;)
How can you be attacking Carrick over this despite not seeming to know what the situation is.

Carrick is effectively retired and has been for months. It's fairly understandable really, he's been overlooked by almost every single England manager he could have appeared for and after 11 years of being ignored he's retired so he's not called up for friendlies and tournaments just so he can warm the bench.

He didn't pull out of the squad. he was never in contention.

I know a lot of people get outraged that someone wouldn't be overjoyed at just being in the squad but the reality is that the magic of representing your country is going to fade when you're travelling all over the place, separated from your family, just to make up the numbers. Scholes had the same thing and he's one of the most down to earth footballers there is so you can't just put it down to a strop.

Here's a source for all this: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...nding-england-ahead-of-euro-2012-7758040.html

Last edited:
How can you be attacking Carrick over this despite not seeming to know what the situation is.

Carrick is effectively retired and has been for months. It's fairly understandable really, he's been overlooked by almost every single England manager he could have appeared for and after 11 years of being ignored he's retired so he's not called up for friendlies and tournaments just so he can warm the bench.

He didn't pull out of the squad. he was never in contention.

I know a lot of people get outraged that someone wouldn't be overjoyed at just being in the squad but the reality is that the magic of representing your country is going to fade when you're travelling all over the place, separated from your family, just to make up the numbers. Scholes had the same thing and he's one of the most down to earth footballers there is so you can't just put it down to a strop.

Here's a source for all this: Roy Hodgson clears up all the questions surrounding England ahead of Euro 2012 - International - Football - The Independent

If what you are saying is right then why is everyone having a go at the FA for not selecting Carrick. Everyone was like 'Oh Carrick is not in the squad, FA are a bunch of idiots'

And your second point is messed up, Just because Carrick cant handle sitting on the bench and being away from his family for weeks he is ready to retire from the England Squad? Jeez he is paid to kick a ball, I'd expect him to be above such things. And anyways he can always prove to the England Manager that he is more than a defensive mid.

Throwing your toys out of a pram because the England Manager does understand your ability and sits you on the bench is outrageously arrogant and egoistic of Carrick.

Well I already said he should have put his hand up, on the other hand i understand why he did after 3 years of bit part nonsense.

The real failing is not using a player like for for the last 3 years.

some players would die for 'bit part nonsense'

If what you are saying is right then why is everyone having a go at the FA for not selecting Carrick. Everyone was like 'Oh Carrick is not in the squad, FA are a bunch of idiots'

And your second point is messed up, Just because Carrick cant handle sitting on the bench and being away from his family for weeks he is ready to retire from the England Squad? Jeez he is paid to kick a ball, I'd expect him to be above such things. And anyways he can always prove to the England Manager that he is more than a defensive mid.

Throwing your toys out of a pram because the England Manager does understand your ability and sits you on the bench is outrageously arrogant and egoistic of Carrick.

You have spectacularly and repeatedly missed the point re Carrick, so lets just leave it.

some players would die for 'bit part nonsense'

Well good for them, he's been there and done that now, and made himself available constantly. He is 30 now and drawing a line under it

Well good for them, he's been there and done that now, and made himself available constantly. He is 30 now and drawing a line under it

if that's his attitude - thank god he didn't get picked.

Back