England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Now that we have been dealt another blow in the form of Barry, this now means that Lampard will play more prominently in the midfield. As it is indeed a good thing to see Jagielka in the side, will this mean now that Phil Jones will be given a midfield role potentially? He can play as a holding midfielder as well as a full back and centre half, so his versatility could be useful.

Must disagree with you here: at no point has Phil Jones been used as a properly holding midfielder for United. He's always been in a position where he can use his energy and good run picking skills to break from midfield, because he doesn't possess the discipline and intelligence required to play a holding role. As part of a two with Parker? Maybe. In fact, I think that could work very well. But him on his own would be suicide.

Must disagree with you here: at no point has Phil Jones been used as a properly holding midfielder for United. He's always been in a position where he can use his energy and good run picking skills to break from midfield, because he doesn't possess the discipline and intelligence required to play a holding role. As part of a two with Parker? Maybe. In fact, I think that could work very well. But him on his own would be suicide.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Jones and Parker as the deeper two (presumably with Gerrard/ Ronney ahead). There's no composure and passing ability in that pair, hence why I would always prefer Parker to be paired with Carrick or Barry. I'd rather see Lampard/ Parker than Jones/ Parker- from the deeper position Lampard can be deadly with his runs. Neither is ideal however.

This is from what I've seen from Jones anyway. I may be underestimating his passing range/ ability.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Jones and Parker as the deeper two (presumably with Gerrard/ Ronney ahead). There's no composure and passing ability in that pair, hence why I would always prefer Parker to be paired with Carrick or Barry. I'd rather see Lampard/ Parker than Jones/ Parker- from the deeper position Lampard can be deadly with his runs. Neither is ideal however.

This is from what I've seen from Jones anyway. I may be underestimating his passing range/ ability.

Barry has no passing ability either, he's consistently been easily pressured into losing possession on the international stage, i'm incredibly happy he's not going to the tournament.

Phil Jones played a lot of games for Blackburn as the most defensive player in a diamond, he's capable of sitting deep, however it will be a bit like when Capello tried to make Carragher into Makalele, he's not a natural there by a long shot.

That's the big problem. Parker's a reliable passer, but can't control a game, and Jones is dangerously impetuous. I honestly think Lampard and Parker deep could work, if Lampard can continue his impressive form from a deep position.

I did not mean for it to be interpreted that he play alone as a holding midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation, as you said, that would be "suicide". What I meant was to be alongside Scott Parker, make the occasional break forward and again, as you said "he doesn't possess the discipline and intelligence required to play a holding role". It's an alternative route to Parker - Lampard, a highly popular theory among most that could also work well, but I feel that Jones in midfield with Parker could be another answer to this issue we have in the centre of the park.

I did not mean for it to be interpreted that he play alone as a holding midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation, as you said, that would be "suicide". What I meant was to be alongside Scott Parker, make the occasional break forward and again, as you said "he doesn't possess the discipline and intelligence required to play a holding role". It's an alternative route to Parker - Lampard, a highly popular theory among most that could also work well, but I feel that Jones in midfield with Parker could be another answer to this issue we have in the centre of the park.

Well put. I feel the same, but as alicwkd pointed it that partnership lacks a bit of finesse.

Keeping in our formation shape is one thing, but we need to press teams as a unit as well, against Norway we allowed them far too long on the ball, if we sit back against better teams we will be punished. Hopefully Hodgson has addressed that this week in training.

Barry has no passing ability either, he's consistently been easily pressured into losing possession on the international stage, i'm incredibly happy he's not going to the tournament.

He's not amazing, granted. But he is more reliable on the ball, and more able to control a game than Jones. Most of all he is at least calm and composed. Jones can often be quite erratic. He likes to burst forward on the ball and drive at the defence, similarly to Yaya Toure, but with less control. Some like this feature of this play, but on the international stage when it's about tempo and control it could just lead to us giving the ball away needlessly.

That's the big problem. Parker's a reliable passer, but can't control a game, and Jones is dangerously impetuous. I honestly think Lampard and Parker deep could work, if Lampard can continue his impressive form from a deep position.

I think that would be my partnership, that way Lamps and Gerrard aren't in each others way as Gerrard will play behind the striker.

I think that would be my partnership, that way Lamps and Gerrard aren't in each others way as Gerrard will play behind the striker.

Naive to say that. It can definitely still happen. It'll rely on Lampard being intelligent, since Gerrard won't be.

Naive to say that. It can definitely still happen. It'll rely on Lampard being intelligent, since Gerrard won't be.

He has been for Chelsea in the last 3-4 months so i don't see why not. Has been involved in a lot of our important goals too. The ball to Ramires to set up Drogba as home vs Barca. The long ball to Drogba's chest which he slammed in to put us 1-0 up against Spurs in the FA Cup Semi. The pin point of a through ball to Ramires in the New Camp which won us the game. And lastly the ball into Drogba in the FA Cup final which put us 2-0 up and ended up the winner.

I'm struggling to see the downside of Barry being out of the tournament....

I'm struggling to see the downside of Barry being out of the tournament....

In my opinion he was the best partner for Parker we had in the squad. Jones is quite erratic. Lampard is good but he's hardly the same type of player.

One fewer scapegoat for when we fail.

One down- several hundred to go. Capello/ linesman... Beckham... Rooney... Ronaldo. England never seem to have a hard time finding a scapegoat. Only now are we beginning to realise maybe, just maybe, we're not actually that good.

One down- several hundred to go. Capello/ linesman... Beckham... Rooney... Ronaldo. England never seem to have a hard time finding a scapegoat. Only now are we beginning to realise maybe, just maybe, we're not actually that good.

I disagree, we still have a very competent squad, there is still expectation to get out this group and at least reach the quarter's.

I disagree, we still have a very competent squad, there is still expectation to get out this group and at least reach the quarter's.

If we get out of the group do we not get Spain/ Italy/ Croatia/ Ireland? So if we get through the group we will probably be eliminated anyway. Or does it not work like that? Anyway our group is very tough and just getting out of it constitutes a very good tournament for me.

If we get out of the group do we not get Spain/ Italy/ Croatia/ Ireland? So if we get through the group we will probably be eliminated anyway. Or does it not work like that? Anyway our group is very tough and just getting out of it constitutes a very good tournament for me.

What's so impressive about getting out of the group? France admittedly have a better squad but we are better than Ukraine and Sweden and should progress. In the knockout stages anything can happen, I think people need to be a tad more optimistic, we have some very good players.

Back