England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Exactly. Carrick would help fill that gap.

And we are wasting Gerrard deep. Granted, Young is usally very effective for England in that AMC role whenever he's been used, But Gerrard is lethal there when on form, rather drop Downing and shift Young left, move Gerrard up.

And we are wasting Gerrard deep. Granted, Young is usally very effective for England in that AMC role whenever he's been used, But Gerrard is lethal there when on form, rather drop Downing and shift Young left, move Gerrard up.

Please please please Roy play Welbeck over Carroll as well when he is fit. Welbeck will create us a lot of space and perhaps encourage us not to be so direct.

Young is our best left winger IMO anyway. Gerrard is our best AMC in the absence of Rooney. It makes sense. I'd like to see Parker and Barry as the two deeper mids. Then you have a decision on the right hand side between Walcott/ Milner/ Ox between whom there is little difference, and depends on situation. Right now Walcott is probably first choice.

Young is our best left winger IMO anyway. Gerrard is our best AMC in the absence of Rooney. It makes sense. I'd like to see Parker and Barry as the two deeper mids. Then you have a decision on the right hand side between Walcott/ Milner/ Ox between whom there is little difference, and depends on situation. Right now Walcott is probably first choice.

Walcott or Ox, Milner as a more defensive option imo.

If given enough of a chance, Young could play central in the 4-2-3-1, with Oxlade-Chamberlain out on the left, Walcott on the right, or whichever allows them enough space to come inside and exploit the full backs with their pace and agility. However, I doubt that is going to happen, with Gerrard most likely filling up that spot.

If given enough of a chance, Young could play central in the 4-2-3-1, with Oxlade-Chamberlain out on the left, Walcott on the right, or whichever allows them enough space to come inside and exploit the full backs with their pace and agility. However, I doubt that is going to happen, with Gerrard most likely filling up that spot.

It's an interesting option but I still see Young's best position as being AML (and him as our best player in that position), which leaves Gerrard as the AMC. Your concept is definitely a possibility, but I'm not sure Ox is ready to play a major role at this tournament, and I'm still not entirely convinced by Young in the central role.

It's moot for the 3rd game though, as Rooney simply has to occupy AMC. If he is deployed as a lone forward and, to a lesser extent, as part of a pair in a 4-4-2 he is being wasted. I hope Roy learned that lesson from watching Rooney at the world cup.

It's an interesting option but I still see Young's best position as being AML (and him as our best player in that position), which leaves Gerrard as the AMC. Your concept is definitely a possibility, but I'm not sure Ox is ready to play a major role at this tournament, and I'm still not entirely convinced by Young in the central role.

It's moot for the 3rd game though, as Rooney simply has to occupy AMC. If he is deployed as a lone forward and, to a lesser extent, as part of a pair in a 4-4-2 he is being wasted. I hope Roy learned that lesson from watching Rooney at the world cup.

Indeed, only works in a 4-4-2 as part of a split-pair. In fairness he wasnt fit at the World Cup, and should not have been picked.

Been through this already, whatever happens he should have out his hand up for selection

Not really. Again Roy has no intention of using his range, since he called him a holding mid, and couldnt say if he was better than Barry or Parker (He is in fact, a completely different player). Why would a regista go when for the best part of of 3 years he has been overlooked, and then viewed as a bit part holding player?.

Been through this already, whatever happens he should have out his hand up for selection
after years of travelling with England and not getting played, despite playing well for club, it's fair to say he's had enough and I don't blame him

Agreed.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to even go to the Euro's and sit on the bench, even if you think you should be starting.

Agreed.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to even go to the Euro's and sit on the bench, even if you think you should be starting.
I would have preferred he made himself available, but I do understand where he is coming from, been overlooked for 3 years with no real justification, I mean its not like we are packed full of players like him, like Scholes all over again, and similar to Carragher.

after years of travelling with England and not getting played, despite playing well for club, it's fair to say he's had enough and I don't blame him

Ridiculous, you should just be happy you're even being considered for your country.

Not really. Again Roy has no intention of using his range, since he called him a holding mid, and couldnt say if he was better than Barry or Parker (He is in fact, a completely different player). Why would a regista go when for the best part of of 3 years he has been overlooked, and then viewed as a bit part holding player?.

Just because the coach thinks he is a different player does not mean he throws his toys out of his pram and refuses to be selected. I have known people who are excellent players but have been constantly overlooked for my cricket team by my coach but that does not mean they refused to come for trainings or quit the game, they came and talked to the coach telling him they deserves to be selected and proved to him in trainings that they were right.

If they can do it then Carrick who is paid to kick a ball certainly can

Just because the coach thinks he is a different player does not mean he throws his toys out of his pram and refuses to be selected. I have known people who are excellent players but have been constantly overlooked for my cricket team by my coach but that does not mean they refused to come for trainings or quit the game, they came and talked to the coach telling him they deserves to be selected and proved to him in trainings that they were right.

If they can do it then Carrick who is paid to kick a ball certainly can

Didnt refused to be selected. Is still available if there is an injury crisis.

Back