England Thread

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 369K
I think there is a difference from being aggressive and better in the air. Just going to post some stats of potential centre backs and highlight the best stat per player etc.

Phil Jagielka:
Pass% - 74.5
Aerial duels won per game - 1.8
Tackles per game - 1.8
Interceptions per game - 2.1
Fouls - 0.4
Offsides won per game - 0.6
Clearances per game - 7.6
Blocked shots - 0.5

Gary Cahill:
Pass% - 81.7
Aerial duels won per game - 2.1
Tackles per game - 0.7
Interceptions per game - 1.2
Fouls - 1.2
Offsides won per game - 1
Clearances per game - 6.1
Blocked shots - 1.1

John Terry:
Pass% - 91.2
Aerial duels won per game - 1.1
Tackles per game - 1.4
Interceptions per game - 1.9
Fouls - 0.8
Offsides won per game - 0.7
Clearances per game - 5.4
Blocked shots - 1.1

Rio Ferdinand:
Pass% - 91.2
Aerial duels won per game - 1.3
Tackles per game - 1.2
Interceptions per game - 2.1
Fouls - 0.3
Offsides won per game - 0.4
Clearances per game - 7.2
Blocked shots - 0.5

Joeleon Lescott:
Pass% - 90
Aerial duels won per game - 1.1
Tackles per game - 1.1
Interceptions per game - 1.5
Fouls - 0.6
Offsides won per game - 0.5
Clearances per game - 5
Blocked shots - 0.9

Phill Jones:
Pass% - 84.2
Aerial duels won per game - 1.5
Tackles per game - 1.9
Interceptions per game - 1.6
Fouls - 0.6
Offsides won - 0.2
Clearances per game - 3.9
Blocked shots - 0.4

So as I basically said Cahill is much better in aerial battles than Cahill. Looking at the stats Rio Ferdinand has been the most impressive closely followed by Cahill and Jagielka. Like I said it all depends on how Hodgson will want to play but these stats give us something to look at and debate about surely.

The stats also tell you that Jags is better in the air than Terry, so stats don't give you the whole story. Watching the defenders, Jags is the most rounded of the lot. And Lescott is exceptional when played with Jags, and as a partnership they have the least flaws.

Please take Grant Holt. This season, he's deserved a place in the squad much more than Andy Carroll.

And it's not a disaster if Parker isn't fit for the tournament- Carrick & Barry are good enough replacements.

Please take Grant Holt. This season, he's deserved a place in the squad much more than Andy Carroll.

And it's not a disaster if Parker isn't fit for the tournament- Carrick & Barry are good enough replacements.

Carrick isnt a replacement, Carrick is a different player and should be starting regardless.

Anyone had a cheeky bet on who gets picked? Quite a few sites doing it, was tempted with Henderson at 16s

Carrick isnt a replacement, Carrick is a different player and should be starting regardless.

I would play a DM [Hopefully Parker?] with Gerrard & Lampard in CM. Although they can't play together in a 4-4-2, it could work in a 4-3-3 I suppose. If Wilshere was fit though, he would be starting.

I would play a DM [Hopefully Parker?] with Gerrard & Lampard in CM. Although they can't play together in a 4-4-2, it could work in a 4-3-3 I suppose. If Wilshere was fit though, he would be starting.

Sweet baby Jesus no. Gerrard and Lampard have not worked time and again. It's a testament to the blind faith of English football fans in 'quality' above tactics and cohesion that it's even suggested they get picked together again.

Gerrard is not and has not been an outright CM unless you count the 2 years he emerged. Lampard has not got the passing range to utilise our wideplay, and Hodgson likes a 4-2-3-1, where he is far less effective. Only 3 players have the effective range of passing to be considered playmakers: Scholes, Carrick and Wilshere, possibly Cleverley

Gerrard is not and has not been an outright CM unless you count the 2 years he emerged. Lampard has not got the passing range to utilise our wideplay, and Hodgson likes a 4-2-3-1, where he is far less effective. Only 3 players have the effective range of passing to be considered playmakers: Scholes, Carrick and Wilshere, possibly Cleverley

Would Scholes consider playing for England again?

Gerrard would be beast if played right behind Rooney.

If Parker isn't fit who will be our defensive mid/ ball winning midfielder? Jones? I'm scratching my head about this one

If Parker isn't fit who will be our defensive mid/ ball winning midfielder? Jones? I'm scratching my head about this one

Barry i assume....

hardly fills me with confidence. He's not really a ball winner

Indeed, where are all our ball winners. All we do is grind out box to box players of late it seems.

Apparently, Rio isn't in the squad. Just rumours atm but not because of the whole John Terry saga. Concerns over his fitness or something...

Indeed, where are all our ball winners. All we do is grind out box to box players of late it seems.
I'd be tempted to play Jones instead of Barry but I don't think Hodgson will. Neither are as good as Parker of course but could be worth just giving Jones the experience