England Thread

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 372K
101 Great Goals ‏ @101greatgoals
Euro 2012 England squad news: Ferdinand, Walker, Richards all miss out. John Terry & Andy Carroll will be on the plane.

Fourth Official ‏ @Fourth_Official
Andy Carroll included #England

Ian McGarry ‏ @garbosj
John Terry named in #England squad but Rio Ferdinand has been left out. #CFC #MUFC.

BBC Breaking News ‏ @BBCBreaking
#England manager Roy Hodgson is expected to leave defender Rio Ferdinand out of #Euro2012 squad BBC Sport - Euro 2012: Rio Ferdinand to be left out of England squad #MUFC

Euro 2012 England squad news: Ferdinand, Walker, Richards all miss out. John Terry & Andy Carroll will be on the plane.

Why the **** would we not include our two best right-backs? This better not be true.

Think if Carrick gets overlooked after the season he's had, Hodgson fails to make the call to Scholes and Andy Carroll starts any games in a repeat of the attempt for the English to turn tennis into a national sport, I'll just cut my losses and be Irish for a month. The expectations are low, the beer is good and the accent is awesome.

Other snippet of Euro 2012 squad news from The Times - Crouch also out. Hodgson considering Darren Bent & Alex Oxlade Chamberlain.

Not how they're getting this info but it looks as though Rio and Walker deffo out of contention.

And there it is. The moment i start to spiral into despair over England. Not even kicked a ball. tell me I'm wrong tomorrow Roy, tell this info is wrong.

How am I this nervous over selection?

If the above news is true (re Walker, Richards, Carroll) I'm going to physically hurl.

not sure i can believe anything on twitter until its announced officially tomorrow.

I don't want to get flamed here but Rio pulling out due to concerns over fitness to me is Hodgson picked JT and Rio is keeping his pride?

I don't want to get flamed here but Rio pulling out due to concerns over fitness to me is Hodgson picked JT and Rio is keeping his pride?

You have heard wrong. Rio didnt pull out, he was dropped. Hodgson is saying its over fitness concerns, but apparently Rio thinks it linked to the fact that Terry is going.

I think its a good thing for Man Utd if the rumours are true and Ferdinand does not go. I also believe in this day and age depending on how Hodgson wants to play then JT is the better man for the job. Also JT will be boo'd by his own fans which is needed because he raises his game when he is up against the wall. Taking Carroll over Crouch is a gamble but a gamble i would most definitely take, Carroll looked to be coming into some form at the back end of the season so that could be a good call. If he is not taking Walker and/or Richards then I will be really ****** off as it means Johnson at right back and I don't think my eyes can take that again.

Rio Ferdinand dropped from England squad for Euro 2012

• New manager visits Chelsea to talk to John Terry
• Micah Richards and Peter Crouch also omitted

Rio-Ferdinand-Manchester--008.jpg
Rio Ferdinand has suffered from recurrent back and calf injuries over the past three seasons but he has played all of Manchester United's last 12 matches. Photograph: John Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images

Rio Ferdinand's broken relationship with John Terry may have ended hisEngland career after Roy Hodgson decided to sacrifice the Manchester United defender from his Euro 2012 plans.

Hodgson contacted Ferdinand on Tuesday to inform him that he would not be including him in his squad for the tournament in Poland and Ukraine next month. The England manager then travelled to Chelsea's training ground where he met Terry for the first time since taking the job and spoke at length to him and the club's other England internationals about his plans for the competition.

Hodgson also rang Peter Crouch, the Stoke City striker, and perhaps most surprisingly Micah Richards, the Manchester City right-back, to let them know that they were also being left out.

By that stage Hodgson had learned that Kyle Walker, the Tottenham Hotspur defender, will miss the tournament because of a broken toe. The Professional Footballers' Association's young player of the year suffered the injury during the game at Bolton Wanderers on 2 April and was assessed on Monday night. The 21-year-old would have been Hodgson's first-choice at right‑back and his absence makes it a particular surprise that Richards is being omitted. However, Hodgson does have alternatives for the position in the form of Phil Jones and Glen Johnson.

Ferdinand's own disappointment is tinged by a sense of bitterness as he reflects on the end of a 14-year international career, encompassing 82 caps and three World Cups. The official line Hodgson will use is that it is purely because Ferdinand is now 33 and has suffered from recurrent back and calf injuries over the past three seasons. However, a dismayed Ferdinand is convinced it is directly linked to his issues with Terry and the potential divisions that might have been caused if the two centre-backs were both involved.

Hodgson, who has also cancelled a training camp in Spain next week, is acutely aware of the bad feeling that exists since Terry was accused of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand, Rio's younger brother, during Chelsea's match at Queens Park Rangers in October. Terry denies the charge, to be heard at Westminster magistrates' court on 9 July, and Hodgson's early inquiries have revealed that the case has already caused divisions in the England squad. The fear uppermost in Hodgson's mind was that those issues would intensify during a month away when all the feedback he has received has indicated that there is no hope of an end to impasse in the relations. In the end, he has concluded that it is unworkable.
Ferdinand's dismay is not eased by the fact Jones, almost guaranteed to get a place in the squad, is one of his understudies at club level, while Hodgson also planned to select Chris Smalling, another of the players behind him in the pecking order at Old Trafford.

Smalling's groin injury had opened another place but Hodgson has decided Ferdinand's vast tournament experience is not needed when there are younger candidates such as Joleon Lescott and Gary Cahill. Hodgson is also aware Jones can play at right-back or in the centre and that versatility could be particularly useful now Walker is out of the competition. In total, England now have five players ruled out through injury, with Jack Wilshere, Michael Dawson, Tom Huddlestone and Jack Rodwell also not in contention. Darren Bent, battling to prove his fitness after an ankle operation, may be a sixth.
Meanwhile, Steven Gerrard, the first senior England player Hodgson contacted after becoming manager, is favourite to be made captain.

Ferdinand's own injury issues have played a part in Hodgson's thinking. The manager tried to ease the disappointment by ringing Ferdinand to break the news himself and he is entitled to point out it would have been a gamble relying on his fitness when England have three games in a week. Ferdinand, however, has not missed a game through injury since January. He has played all of United's last 12 games and will know, almost certainly, that he will not get another chance at this level.

You have heard wrong. Rio didnt pull out, he was dropped. Hodgson is saying its over fitness concerns, but apparently Rio thinks it linked to the fact that Terry is going.
Ah ok, even worse for Rio.

At least Cahill and Lescott will get a shot in the big time. Worrying for our right side if Walker and Richards aren't going..

Can't wait for the inevitable JT slip leaving Benzema clean through on goal either.

Can't wait for the inevitable JT slip leaving Benzema clean through on goal either. O

All depends how Roy wants to play, if you play JT deep where he is still one of the best in the world then mistakes are non existent (unless he knee's Sanchez in the back).

Ah ok, even worse for Rio.

At least Cahill and Lescott will get a shot in the big time. Worrying for our right side if Walker and Richards aren't going..

Jags and Lescott would be my pairing, easily.