England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Shame, I thought Roy might of given the formation we used against Italy in the friendly another go, as we were much more dominant in midfield and were passing it around like we should be doing.

Looks like he is going back to the 2 striker formation though, 4 strikes have been named in this squad.

Ashley Cole to miss qualifier with ankle injury

Happy to see 4-2-3-1 type formation being used by Hodgson, like what we used against Italy in the friendly. I think it gave us a much better grip of the game and allowed us a better chance to retain possession and have more options when on the ball.

Come on England, come on Cleverley.

Lamps and Gerrard....together? again? After previous disappointments. Sigh...hope to be proved wrong. Would've started Carrick myself too

Have to say though feel very underwhelmed by this game, which is unusual for me as it's a qualifier. Just can't get pumped up for it or anything. Still watch it though obviously

Last edited:
From the BBC:

England:
Hart, Johnson, Lescott, Terry, Baines, Milner, Lampard, Cleverley, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gerrard, Defoe. Subs: Ruddy, Walker, Bertrand, Cahill, Carrick, Jagielka, Walcott, Sturridge, Welbeck, Butland.

No Carrick. Again. Great.

Have to say though feel very underwhelmed by this game, which is unusual for me as it's a qualifier. Just can't get pumped up for it anything. Still watch it though obviously

In a game where we could have been more radical, we've been very conservative. The problem england have is that we are fairly far behind, and we need to be more radical in order to catch up.

Have to say it's sweet relief to see Baines actually starting for a change too. Looking forward to watching him fire in those crosses and wreaking havoc down the left-if he gets the ball

Have to say it's sweet relief to see Baines actually starting for a change too. Looking forward to watching him fire in those crosses and wreaking havoc down the left-if he gets the ball

That depends on the deep sitting mids holding up the ball and playing short intelligent side passes and one-twos

That XI is *****.

Well he've had withdrawals like Cole and Johnson. Though why Carrick isn't in there is beyond me.....yet as usual no surprise. Basically it's a slow handover from the old guard to the new shing beacons of hope. Even if people think the line up is a bit naff I'd be staggered beyond absolute belief if we don't win. There's quality in there

Well he've had withdrawals like Cole and Johnson. Though why Carrick isn't in there is beyond me.....yet as usual no surprise. Basically it's a slow handover from the old guard to the new shing beacons of hope. Even if people think the line up is a bit naff I'd be staggered beyond absolute belief if we don't win. There's quality in there

I wouldnt call it poor but its unbalanced, certainly in the middle. We'll win most likely, but that's not the point here, we should be preparing for the next two years.

I wouldnt call it poor but its unbalanced, certainly in the middle. We'll win most likely, but that's not the point here, we should be preparing for the next two years.

Without doubt. Looking forward to seeing cleverly and smalling getting better, along with Jones. so much talent for a change. don't waste it Roy

Last edited:
And no way was that a pen imo. Poor guy never had a chance to get out the way

Back