England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
So when we win a game we should keep being mad about the exclusion of a player who fits better? Bit of a moody outlook. It shouldn't stop us being critical of poor selections and poor performances. And it's not when we're losing games and using Carrick as an excuse, we've complained when he's excluded from squads and when he's not selected pre-match.

We've gone through Lampard/Gerrard for years and achieved nothing worth shouting about, excuse us if we're reaching the end of our tether with it and getting frustrated with constantly gimping ourselves in the name of reputation. We've watched Scholes, a superior player to both, shunted out wide and forced into retirement to fit them in. We're doing our **** best to force Carrick into retirement. So yes, I will complain when I'm forced to watch my national team give the ball away every 2nd pass to a Gerrard hollywood ball, and with Lampard going AWOL until we win a penalty, while a proven tactically able and passer is pushed aside.

When he is playing, you dont need to talk about him, because he is playing. Pretty simple. Forget the "talisman" in Rooney, he still would have struggled, as there was no midfield platform to work on. I assume you watched the game, and would therefore have realised that Gerrard was constantly in the wrong place to pick up the ball, and effective stopped playing after about 65 minutes. Lampard was better but not by much. Should have scored more (Cleverley finishing like a donkey) but we were bypassing the two deep players, because they were often in the wrong place, that is an inherent flaw, the two midfielders should be touching the ball more than any other players on the pitch.

There is no mania about Carrick. And lol about beating Moldova 5-0. The midfield was just as bad then, only Moldova were far too poor to actually do anything about it. And the only people raving about Gerrard were certain sections of Liverpool fans.

You want to play 4-2-3-1, Carrick should be playing. Or Thudd when fit, or Wilshere. Just not Lampard and Gerrard. Carrick gets mentioned because he is the best in form example of the kind of player needed. And if people cant see that, its no wonder England struggle so much.

You say his exclusion is no problem. Name me better fit and and on form English deep lying centre mid.

I get what you two are saying... As I have said Carrick DESERVES to be in the team. All I am saying is that don't use Carrick's exclusion as a ready-made excuse whenever we lose or play poorly in a game because it is happening one too many times often

As moody as that outlook may be.. It just gives me the impression that everybody is happy when we win and don't complain however, are ready to blame the exclusion of one player whenever we lose/draw

Case in point is Ukraine. We beat them 3-1 in the Euro's without Carrick. Everyone rejoiced. When we drawed them this time around playing basically the same team, we get people blaming Carrick's exclusion for the result which does not make sense at all

I get what you two are saying... As I have said Carrick DESERVES to be in the team. All I am saying is that don't use Carrick's exclusion as a ready-made excuse whenever we lose or play poorly in a game because it is happening one too many times often

As moody as that outlook may be.. It just gives me the impression that everybody is happy when we win and don't complain however, are ready to blame the exclusion of one player whenever we lose/draw

Case in point is Ukraine. We beat them 3-1 in the Euro's without Carrick. Everyone rejoiced. When we drawed them this time around playing basically the same team, we get people blaming Carrick's exclusion for the result which does not make sense at all

We beat them not playing particularly well. The same issues were still there, as they have been for so long. People just ignore the flaws. Moldova is a case in point. Only they were so poor that it didn't matter.

We beat them not playing particularly well. The same issues were still there, as they have been for so long. People just ignore the flaws. Moldova is a case in point. Only they were so poor that it didn't matter.

Exactly.. we can't just forget the flaws and praise the team when we are winning and then point them out immediately whenever we lose.

Either maintain the opinion that Carrick should be played from the start no matter how well Gerrard supposedly does in a deeper role or how many games we win or accept that the team had a bad day at the office.

I just get frustrated when people rejoice when England win without Carrick but immediately start blaming his exclusion whenever we play poorly. As moody as that outlook may be...

Exactly.. we can't just forget the flaws and praise the team when we are winning and then point them out immediately whenever we lose.

Either maintain the opinion that Carrick should be played from the start no matter how well Gerrard supposedly does in a deeper role or how many games we win or accept that the team had a bad day at the office.

I just get frustrated when people rejoice when England win without Carrick but immediately start blaming his exclusion whenever we play poorly. As moody as that outlook may be...

Which is exactly what most sane people have done, especially those on here. Carrick should be playing regardless.

Which is exactly what most sane people have done, especially those on here. Carrick should be playing regardless.

I agree with you. Carrick should be starting preferably in the place of Lampard with Gerrard pushed into a role higher up the pitch

Baines should be played ahead of Cole. Cahill should start instead of Terry.

One can dream though... I am getting pretty frustrated with Roy myself

I agree with you. Carrick should be starting preferably in the place of Lampard with Gerrard pushed into a role higher up the pitch

Baines should be played ahead of Cole. Cahill should start instead of Terry.

One can dream though... I am getting pretty frustrated with Roy myself

I'd still pick cole for the tougher games, he is still brilliant defensively, but Baines offers a lot more going forward, so i would use him when needing to win at all costs, or against smaller teams.

I'd still pick cole for the tougher games, he is still brilliant defensively, but Baines offers a lot more going forward, so i would use him when needing to win at all costs, or against smaller teams.

I disagree.. Cole is still capable of putting in a monumental performance on his day but their is a reason why RDM has started to play Bertrand ahead of him

I disagree.. Cole is still capable of putting in a monumental performance on his day but their is a reason why RDM has started to play Bertrand ahead of him

When has Bertrand ever started ahead of cole? Apart from due to injury.

To bring a young player through, they need to get games, but Cole is the undisputed Chelsea (and England, for now) no.1 left back.

To bring a young player through, they need to get games, but Cole is the undisputed Chelsea (and England, for now) no.1 left back.

I am sorry but I doubt RDM is playing Bertrand as a left winger simply to bring him through.... Fact is that Cole is not that good anymore and needs a hard-working winger (Ramires) or a defensive winger (Betrand) in front of him to shut down a flank... a jobe he could have once done himself

I think Baines is as good as Cole defensively and better than him on the attack. Only thing holding Baines out fo the team is Cole's reputation

I am sorry but I doubt RDM is playing Bertrand as a left winger simply to bring him through.... Fact is that Cole is not that good anymore and needs a hard-working winger (Ramires) or a defensive winger (Betrand) in front of him to shut down a flank... a jobe he could have once done himself

I think Baines is as good as Cole defensively and better than him on the attack. Only thing holding Baines out fo the team is Cole's reputation

+1 to this and we seem to have a manager who does not like to drop the high rep players, even if they won't be here for 2014 World Cup, which is totally pointless, we should be building a team/squad that will be competing at the next World Cup, Terry/Lampard/Gerrard should of gone after the Euro's.

Bertrand can play the entire flank, and actually Cole's defending easily stands up to scrutiny, with or without bertrand, as that article I posted shows. he can still shut down an entire flank, he does it for England without a hard working player in front.

Baines is almost as good defensively, but much better going forwards. But Cole is certainly there by merit, one of the few players who actually is.

Last edited:

He has played Bertrand infront of Cole is when the other side have a lot of attacking talent. Bayern to stop Lahm and Robben, Wigan to stop Moses and whoever their fullback was and Newcastle he was coming inside a lot and stopping the threat from Ben Arfa (who was hugely quiet). Although I agree Cole is not as good as he was say 2 years ago but against the bigger sides and best players there is no better still in my eyes.

+1 to this and we seem to have a manager who does not like to drop the high rep players, even if they won't be here for 2014 World Cup, which is totally pointless, we should be building a team/squad that will be competing at the next World Cup, Terry/Lampard/Gerrard should of gone after the Euro's.

I would put good money on Terry being around for the 2014 WC and for my money he is still the best 'penalty box' defender in the world.. Problem is that he is battered after all the times he has played through the pain barrier and his natural physical game. I would still take him along but would play Cahill ahead of him

Bertrand can play the entire flank, and actually Cole's defending easily stands up to scrutiny, with or without bertrand, as that article I posted shows. he can still shut down an entire flank, he does it for England without a hard working player in front.

Baines is almost as good defensively, but much better going forwards. But Cole is certainly there by merit, one of the few players who actually is.

I was surprised myself at Bertrand's versatility... AVB wanted Alvaro Perreira to replace Zhirkov but little did he know that Chelsea already had a ready-made replacement around the club

Getting back to the point though.... RDM is not playing Betrand ahead of Cole for no reason especially as ou side is absolutely brimming with attacking talent. Cole can't shut down the flank by himself anymore, at least not on a regular basis.

He has played 2 many games through the past few seasons due to Chelsea's inability to secure a competent replacement for im which has left him jaded and has catalyzed his decline. Still a solid player but Baines>Cole for me overall which I have been saying for quite some time

Back