England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Myth. Opposition players have dribbled past Cole three times more than they've done to Baines in the past season, and in the first few games of this season, that difference has doubled - it's 6 times more. And while you could argue that Cole has more tackles/game and interceptions/game than Baines and that those stats could 'even things out', Cole isn't nearly as good as Baines when it comes to getting forward. I think we all agree that Baines is better than Cole when it comes to that, so I'll limit myself to a single stat which surprised even me - Baines has made as many key passes (30) in 7 games this season than Cole has in the whole of last season and the start of this season combined.

Agreed. The time has come for Baines to start for England regularly. Cole's been a fine servant, but we can do without him now.

I'm staggered I'm actually still watching this pile of ****. This is just incredibly frustrating even if it is 3-0

Myth. Opposition players have dribbled past Cole three times more than they've done to Baines in the past season, and in the first few games of this season, that difference has doubled - it's 6 times more. And while you could argue that Cole has more tackles/game and interceptions/game than Baines and that those stats could 'even things out', Cole isn't nearly as good as Baines when it comes to getting forward. I think we all agree that Baines is better than Cole when it comes to that, so I'll limit myself to a single stat which surprised even me - Baines has made as many key passes (30) in 7 games this season than Cole has in the whole of last season and the start of this season combined.

So I see that you've been looking at the article on Whoscored. However, they rather brush aside Cole's significantly better tackle rate which is hardly a small factor. Then you also have to consider the systems that both players were used in when they got those stats. It's no secret that Cole was Chelsea's only line of defence on the left side for vast swathes of last year. It's a lot harder for people to dribble around you when your winger tracks back and you're able stop their wide players from having all the space in the world to run at you.

In my mind, Cole is still utterly superb in his defensive duties and, crucially, raises his game when paired against the world's best wingers. Baines is a more complete package and certainly offers more going forward. To dismiss Cole's defensive strengths based on a single piece of uncontextualised statistical analysis seems stupid. It's definitely up for debate but those stats hardly confirm that the perception of Cole having a greater defensive contribution is a myth...

Hope we play better against Poland. To be honet this scoreline flatters us
I know this is San Marino, but some touches, passes and movement off the ball is/was class. I would be pretty happy with some players ( Ox, Cleverley, not going to mention Rooney, because we all expect games like this from him). I'm not fan of England, but this is pretty decent game. Most of time Roy sub Rooney I turn stream off, not this time. Great game.

I know this is San Marino, but some touches, passes and movement off the ball is/was class. I would be pretty happy with some players ( Ox, Cleverley, not going to mention Rooney, because we all expect games like this from him). I'm not fan of England, but this is pretty decent game. Most of time Roy sub Rooney I turn stream off, not this time. Great game.

It's good for the youngsters yes don't get me wrong (and chuffed for Rooney for being 5th all time scorer), but how many times did we dilly dally around the box, and not attempt to go for the ball as it was heading into the box. Maybe I'm just being picky, but it just annoyed me. We achieved the scoreline we wanted, but when I was watching earlier I seriously doubted we'd reach it

So I see that you've been looking at the article on Whoscored. However, they rather brush aside Cole's significantly better tackle rate which is hardly a small factor. Then you also have to consider the systems that both players were used in when they got those stats. It's no secret that Cole was Chelsea's only line of defence on the left side for vast swathes of last year. It's a lot harder for people to dribble around you when your winger tracks back and you're able stop their wide players from having all the space in the world to run at you.

In my mind, Cole is still utterly superb in his defensive duties and, crucially, raises his game when paired against the world's best wingers. Baines is a more complete package and certainly offers more going forward. To dismiss Cole's defensive strengths based on a single piece of uncontextualised statistical analysis seems stupid. It's definitely up for debate but those stats hardly confirm that the perception of Cole having a greater defensive contribution is a myth...
Antonio Valencia.
Both Bains and Cole have their own advantages. I like to think that Cole is little better defensively due his pace, but Baines to be better player offensively. That said, neither players are bad in both defense/offense. Be grateful to have 2 great left full backs.

It's good for the youngsters yes don't get me wrong (and chuffed for Rooney for being 5th all time scorer), but how many times did we dilly dally around the box, and not attempt to go for the ball as it was heading into the box. Maybe I'm just being picky, but it just annoyed me. We achieved the scoreline we wanted, but when I was watching earlier I seriously doubted we'd reach it
It's hard to score when you have 10 players constantly behind the ball and they all sit in box. They are semi-pro/amateur players, but still it's pretty hard to play forward ball when having 5-6 players infront of you. Hopefully this makes sence.

It's hard to score when you have 10 players constantly behind the ball and they all sit in box. They are semi-pro/amateur players, but still it's pretty hard to play forward ball when having 5-6 players infront of you. Hopefully this makes sence.

Not at my age lol.

But yeah I do see it. But I'd say it's an efficient performance more than anything. Saying that Shelvey has done well since coming on

Yes, you do make sence lol.

Not at my age lol.

But yeah I do see it. But I'd say it's an efficient performance more than anything. Saying that Shelvey has done well since coming on
Shelvey is a bit **** of a player, if he manages to control his temper, he could turn just good.
Sum summarum:
Rooney 2
Welbeck 2, 1 assist
Cleverley 2 assists.
As a United fan, I'm very happy ^^)

That was utter *****.

Terrible touches, passes, and vision, 90% possession playing against 10 defenders and a goalie and you still try and play barca style with one touch through the middle?! just rubbish.

Only time we looked genuinely threatening was a couple of longer/crossfield balls by cleverly, carrick and shelvey.

5 goals is absolute bare minimum against the worst ranked team in the world.

Actually, I didn't read the article, just the preview (that's where I got the key passes stat) before heading to uni yesterday, although I did get most of my stats from WS.

You point out that during last season Cole was Chelsea's "only line of defence on the left". Well, while we do use a more defensively sound strategy than Chelsea, throughout most of last season this was the case with Baines as well, as neither Drenthe nor Billy were particularly fond of tracking back. Pienaar's arrival did improve things as he's more of a hard-working player.

And I never, not once, said that Cole is bad defensively. I just pointed out the fact (because that's what it is) that Baines can deal with top-class wingers just as well as Cole - and he has in fact been doing so for years - while also adding greater offensive contribution and set-piece delivery to the team. Thus, as far as I'm concerned, the need to start Cole ahead of Baines for the tougher fixtures is no more than a myth, and at this moment in time the only reason Cole plays ahead of Baines is reputation.

Cole, Rooney and Hart are Englands only world class players.

Baines is a top player, but lets not forget, playing regular champions league football counts for so much. Cole's easily young enough to be around for the next tournament, why are we looking to push him out?

BTW, off the football field i despise the bloke, he's a total helmet.

Only seen the highlights so not going to draw any conclusions, but were we really that bad? A 5-0 victory is always welcome whichever way you look at it. If United won 5-0 against a blue square south side most people would congratulate them on a professional job and a comfortable victory without ever reaching top gear- there seems to be a different mindset with England, like every aspect of the performance has to be perfect.

I'm not necessarily talking only about this game, it's a broader point about some England fans.

Back