England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
i did say from the off we wont gain/learn anything from this other than 3 points and i stick by that. 5th goal was well worked but in the opening 20 mins we were well too sloppy in possession. other than that an obvious 3 points so onwards to tuesday.

Actually, I didn't read the article, just the preview (that's where I got the key passes stat) before heading to uni yesterday, although I did get most of my stats from WS.

You point out that during last season Cole was Chelsea's "only line of defence on the left". Well, while we do use a more defensively sound strategy than Chelsea, throughout most of last season this was the case with Baines as well, as neither Drenthe nor Billy were particularly fond of tracking back. Pienaar's arrival did improve things as he's more of a hard-working player.

And I never, not once, said that Cole is bad defensively. I just pointed out the fact (because that's what it is) that Baines can deal with top-class wingers just as well as Cole - and he has in fact been doing so for years - while also adding greater offensive contribution and set-piece delivery to the team. Thus, as far as I'm concerned, the need to start Cole ahead of Baines for the tougher fixtures is no more than a myth, and at this moment in time the only reason Cole plays ahead of Baines is reputation.

Cole also has the experience of matches at the very, very top level. In tough international fixtures under immense pressure. I'm not saying he should be preferred because of this, but it is important. Also part of what makes Baines such a vital asset to Everton is the relationship he has with Pienaar (and vice-versa). So it will be interesting to see how he fares with a different partner down that flank.

For the record, I all for giving Baines a chance in qualifiers and tough friendlies. If he performs well I'm perfectly happy for him to be our regular LB. But I'm simply playing devil's advocate, and by no means should Cole be phased out completely.

i did say from the off we wont gain/learn anything from this other than 3 points and i stick by that. 5th goal was well worked but in the opening 20 mins we were well too sloppy in possession. other than that an obvious 3 points so onwards to tuesday.

This is the right approach to take.

5-0 win, as expected, really didn't expect to play prettily against 11 players sat inside their own area. Everything's in order. Nothing really gained, moving on.

This is the right approach to take.

5-0 win, as expected, really didn't expect to play prettily against 11 players sat inside their own area. Everything's in order. Nothing really gained, moving on.

was a tad annoyed as i had bets on everything BUT 5-0 lol.

Expecting a much tougher game against a hard working Poland. Anyone think there'll be changes-Lescott and Milner to start?

Last edited:
Expecting a much tougher game against a hard working Poland. Anything think there'll be changes-Lescott and Milner to start?

I hope not. I like the lineup we played a lot, I think it's probably our best one, and I'd like Roy to give them a run for a while.

I hope not. I like the lineup we played a lot, I think it's probably our best one, and I'd like Roy to give them a run for a while.

Would Roy stick though? He seems to prefer someone like Milner for example for his hard work in midfield and when I've seen him he does tend to work hard. Though I myself prefer the defensive line-up we have too.

San Marino concede 5.63 goals a game so England did okay on that basis, but we need to be less functional.
Baines vs Cole. Sorry, but while I love baines and think he is probably the overall superior choice at left back, as stats seem to bear out, the idea that he is there by reputation only is ridiculous. He is physically far more overbearing that Baines, and this makes a difference when coming against players like Cristiano Ronaldo. They both have a massive part to play for the next 2 years, but Baines must play more games than he has been given.

Cole is not the player he used to be, if he was Baines would not have been able to touch him, but he is still capable of putting in massive performances on his day. In my opinion, Baines should start ahead of Cole but it is obviously not a very clear-cut decision

Cole is not the player he used to be, if he was Baines would not have been able to touch him, but he is still capable of putting in massive performances on his day. In my opinion, Baines should start ahead of Cole but it is obviously not a very clear-cut decision

The stats I posted on the Everton thread sum just how incredibly small the difference is between them when on the pitch. England are dam lucky to have them both imo

The stats I posted on the Everton thread sum just how incredibly small the difference is between them when on the pitch. England are dam lucky to have them both imo

Agreed mate. Baines is definitely a better player overall than Cole at the moment. Offers more going forward and a threat from set-pieces not to mention being a pretty sound defender as well.

But then if you take into account what a fine player Cole has been for England as well as the fact that he is still a good player capable of putting in massive performances on his day and I can sort of understand why he is still England's No.1 Left-Back

Agreed mate. Baines is definitely a better player overall than Cole at the moment. Offers more going forward and a threat from set-pieces not to mention being a pretty sound defender as well.

But then if you take into account what a fine player Cole has been for England as well as the fact that he is still a good player capable of putting in massive performances on his day and I can sort of understand why he is still England's No.1 Left-Back

Just wish Cole was 35 now :P lol

Good thing is, LB is looking very solid right now. Cole, Baines, Bertrand forcing his way through.

Good thing is, LB is looking very solid right now. Cole, Baines, Bertrand forcing his way through.

Not to forget Gibbs who is a very good LB himself... Just needs to keep himself injury-free really. Also Bertrand can play anywhere down the left so its always good to have a versatile player like him in the squad

I don't get all the hate I have seen towards England in the last match, a team camped in half of a half of the pitch and 5-0 isn't a decent result? Facebook haters.....

As I predicted earlier looks like Milner set to return for Poland match. 6 changes are apparently going to be made

Cole is the English Evra and Baines is the English Buttner ;P

As I predicted earlier looks like Milner set to return for Poland match. 6 changes are apparently going to be made
Very dissapionted with what i read on SSN milner,defo,gerrard,johnson,lescott,cole all set for return, what did other people do wrong the other night to warrent loosing there place they all played well and are playing well for there clubs!

Very dissapionted with what i read on SSN milner,defo,gerrard,johnson,lescott,cole all set for return, what did other people do wrong the other night to warrent loosing there place they all played well and are playing well for there clubs!

The whole Milner thing is a joke quite frankly, yes you can't deny his work rate, but for that position you want someone with an end product to their game.

Poland will definitely be a threat and it won't be easy, Lewandowski and watch out for Lukasz Piscszek, who in my book is one of the best if not the best current Right Back in the world.

The whole Milner thing is a joke quite frankly, yes you can't deny his work rate, but for that position you want someone with an end product to their game.

Poland will definitely be a threat and it won't be easy, Lewandowski and watch out for Lukasz Piscszek, who in my book is one of the best if not the best current Right Back in the world.
Agree dont think milner should be anywhere near starting 11 imo!!!

Agreed Pisczek is excellent, but I wouldn't say he's that good.

If there is really a lot of changes I will be disappointed. I don't see what the team did wrong against San Marino to warrant wholesale changes. I'd like to see:

---------Hart---------
Walker-Jag-Cahill-Baines
----Carrick-Cleverley----
Lennon-Rooney-Oxlade
-------Welbeck------

Or possible Welbeck on the left and defoe up front. I expect to see Milner on the right however.

Back