England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
The whole Milner thing is a joke quite frankly, yes you can't deny his work rate, but for that position you want someone with an end product to their game.

Poland will definitely be a threat and it won't be easy, Lewandowski and watch out for Lukasz Piscszek, who in my book is one of the best if not the best current Right Back in the world.

Agree dont think milner should be anywhere near starting 11 imo!!!

Milner has an end product. He's an excellent crosser, if nothing else. I wouldn't play him against Poland, though.

Agreed Pisczek is excellent, but I wouldn't say he's that good.

If there is really a lot of changes I will be disappointed. I don't see what the team did wrong against San Marino to warrant wholesale changes. I'd like to see:

---------Hart---------
Walker-Jag-Cahill-Baines
----Carrick-Cleverley----
Lennon-Rooney-Oxlade
-------Welbeck------

Or possible Welbeck on the left and defoe up front. I expect to see Milner on the right however.

That's easily our best team, I'd say.

If there is really a lot of changes I will be disappointed. I don't see what the team did wrong against San Marino to warrant wholesale changes.

San Marino

San Marino

San Marino

San Marino

If the team had done anything wrong against..

San Marino

I would be worried. Just because someone has had a good game against...

San Marino

..doesn't mean they should be selected for the next game on that performance.

San Marino

Are ranked 200034998412345th for a reason.

Yeah, I'd say a better reason for picking that team is that it's our best one, rather than "they didn't do anything wrong against some gardeners".

I'd put Milner in the side, but on the left to protect Cole a bit from Blaszczykowski and Piszczek. Ox can switch to the right where Poland are far less of a threat.

Yeah, I'd say a better reason for picking that team is that it's our best one, rather than "they didn't do anything wrong against some gardeners".

Personally would say our best team goes something like this:

-----------Hart-----------
Walker-Lesbo-Jagielka-Cole
--------Carrick------------
----Gerrard-Barry---------
-Perch-------------Gosling
--------Ameobi-----------

I think we need to get Ameobi an England cap before he joins the Nigerian national team for the ACN.

I'd put Milner in the side, but on the left to protect Cole a bit from Blaszczykowski and Piszczek. Ox can switch to the right where Poland are far less of a threat.

Agreed, and thats about it. Although I'd still persist with Baines. I dont see any real argument for bringing back Gerrard, he's a poorer deep player than either Carrick or Cleverley (because he isnt one) unless he is being recalled to AMC, and Rooney moving forward, or onto the bench (which i'm not convinced is a better option). If we are playing on the counter, I can see that argument for Defoe over Welbeck.

Agreed, and thats about it. Although I'd still persist with Baines. I dont see any real argument for bringing back Gerrard, he's a poorer deep player than either Carrick or Cleverley (because he isnt one) unless he is being recalled to AMC, and Rooney moving forward, or onto the bench (which i'm not convinced is a better option). If we are playing on the counter, I can see that argument for Defoe over Welbeck.
Hope they stick with baines has been quality for everton this season so far and cant remember him ever having bad game when called up to england squad.

If the team had done anything wrong against..

I would be worried. Just because someone has had a good game against...

..doesn't mean they should be selected for the next game on that performance.

Are ranked 200034998412345th for a reason.

It's our best team, so there's no argument for replacing them on quality. So the only reason to omit them is if they had played badly against San Marino, which they didn't, so there is no reason for anyone to be replaced.

It's our best team, so there's no argument for replacing them on quality. So the only reason to omit them is if they had played badly against San Marino, which they didn't, so there is no reason for anyone to be replaced.

I still think we are missing a trick with Ameobi and Carroll upfront with Carlton Cole playing in the hole.

San Marino concede 5.63 goals a game so England did okay on that basis, but we need to be less functional.
Baines vs Cole. Sorry, but while I love baines and think he is probably the overall superior choice at left back, as stats seem to bear out, the idea that he is there by reputation only is ridiculous. He is physically far more overbearing that Baines, and this makes a difference when coming against players like Cristiano Ronaldo. They both have a massive part to play for the next 2 years, but Baines must play more games than he has been given.

England are fifth in the world, San Marino are 209th or something, based on 5.63 goals per game being the average we should have scored at least 8. We were not good at all..

The sad thing is, that side was the one that people have been crying out for Hodgson to play, they would be lucky to beat Poland.

@tomEurosport: "Tom Cleverley made 165 ball touches for England against San Marino, the most ever recorded by a single player by Opta."

England are fifth in the world, San Marino are 209th or something, based on 5.63 goals per game being the average we should have scored at least 8. We were not good at all..

The sad thing is, that side was the one that people have been crying out for Hodgson to play, they would be lucky to beat Poland.

We could have quite easily scored 8, denied by some poor finishing and some brilliant saves. Performance wise we are actually decent in doing what needed be done to against a ten man blanket. And how on earth would they be lucky to beat Poland, based on winning 5-0 against San Marino?

What England struggled with was the total lack of space in front of goal, we have very few closed space operators, coupled by the fact that they tripled marked Rooney. Which we recovered from, by getting Cleverley to use raking passes from deep (created 7 chances, got 2 assists) Once the space opened, England were far better.

Poland is a completely different kind of game, one that England are actually better suited to

Poland at home coming forward leaves England acres of space to counter into, and we have huge amounts of pace that we can use to exploit, and in Carrick, a direct raking passer who will move it quickly.

Last edited:
Poland at home coming forward leaves England acres of space to counter into, and we have huge amounts of pace that we can use to exploit

Funny, that is our plan as well. But hey you can always counter our counters!

Back