England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Lets not talk about the history. Lets talk about today's result and future fixtures.
I will probably get stick for this but I think a point in Poland is good considering the conditions of the pitch.

i remember serbia not too long ago getting fined for racial abuse to Onouha in the under 21's again and game vs Italy got postponed for their fans being total **** heads

Lets not talk about the history. Lets talk about today's result and future fixtures.
I will probably get stick for this but I think a point in Poland is good considering the conditions of the pitch.

You're such an Arsenal fan. :P

Not really, I mean, we're here to discuss football, if you guys wanna discuss politics or even history then you can probably find somewhere else to do so.

Not really, I mean, we're here to discuss football, if you guys wanna discuss politics or even history then you can probably find somewhere else to do so.

Bang on. Also you'd have to be a complete fool to use history as a reason not to do something about what happens now. That is lazy and ridiculous whatabouttery in the extreme.

Last edited:
Roy Hodgson's England show no signs of improvement | Michael *** | Football | guardian.co.uk

Roy Hodgson's England show no signs of improvement

When England's players weren't out of position they were giving away possession as Roy Hodgson's tweaks proved weak
  • Share3
  • icon-email.png
    Email

Poland-v-England-001.jpg
England struggled to cope with Poland's front two drifting to the channels in order to combine with the wingers. Illustration: Graphic

This felt like one of England's Euro 2012 performances. There was poor possession play, men behind the ball in two banks of four, and Steven Gerrard's devilish dead-ball delivery cancelled out by set-piece concessions at the other end. There has been little sign of progression from Roy Hodgson's side in the last four months.
In a contest between two negative, counterattacking teams, the first half was something of a standoff; both waited for the other to make the first move, in order to exploit spaces on the break.
In stark contrast to Tom Cleverley and James Milner's tendency to drift into the centre of the pitch, Poland's wingers were direct and purposeful, making England look more susceptible to quick attacks.

The lateral movement of Poland's front two contributed to the problems in the channels – Robert Lewandowski, a poacher for Borussia Dortmund, played more of an all-round role here, running the channels and dropping deep to supply others. Ludovic Obraniak, the No10, drifted into wider positions to create triangles with the wide midfielder and full-back on either side, outnumbering England on the flanks.

That was evident throughout the game but particularly when Poland counterattacked, and there were three primary reasons for England's fragility when high up the pitch. First, with Poland sitting deep and narrow, England's full-backs advanced high up the pitch in order to stretch the opposition out of shape – this was rarely effective, and left Joleon Lescott and Phil Jagielka exposed when the ball was lost.

Second, there was no true ball-winner – Michael Carrick is good in a positional sense and is clever at reading the game, but was helpless when Poland ran past him on the break. It meant Jagielka was forced into a very proactive role high up the pitch, which looked impressive when he intercepted the ball cleanly a couple of times, but when less successful he left Lescott isolated – notably on one occasion shortly before half-time.
Third, there was the same old problem – the ball retention was dreadful. Simple midfield passes went astray and gifted possession to Poland, who efficiently transferred the ball forward. Although Hodgson predictably complained about the state of the pitch, it was probably more detrimental to Poland's approach than England's.
Wayne Rooney's fortunate opener forced Poland to take the initiative and dominate possession, and although this meant their counterattacking was less obvious, England now had a problem with Lukasz Piszczek's forward runs. Hodgson's tinkering in the second half illustrated how concerned he was in that zone, although this was a harsh reflection upon Tom Cleverley's decent defensive shift – it wasn't that Cleverley was neglecting his responsibilities without the ball, simply that Piszczek is a fine attacking right-back.

Hodgson's initial decision to move Rooney to the left had little effect – his defensive work was no better than Cleverley's, and it gave England one less striking option, which invited more pressure. The decision to introduce Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain was better – he forced Piszczek into a more defensive role, and England were less troubled in the final 15 minutes.

In all, it was an underwhelming England performance in a poor contest. Tuesday's lengthy rain delay and subsequent postponement at least provided some kind of a story – if it wasn't for that, you'd be hard-pressed to recall anything about this fixture by the time of England's next game.

Yeah. It's how our front 4 always plays, Obraniak doesn't have proper mindset to play as more direct AMC (which is a shame with how much space Lewandowski sometimes opens) , but he is pretty good at roaming out wide, creating overload on the wings.

I was rather puzzled by how well it worked. Maybe Roy's DVD player broke.

Yeah. It's how our front 4 always plays, Obraniak doesn't have proper mindset to play as more direct AMC (which is a shame with how much space Lewandowski sometimes opens) , but he is pretty good at roaming out wide, creating overload on the wings.

I was rather puzzled by how well it worked. Maybe Roy's DVD player broke.

Had we stuck with our original set up he would have been better tracked by Cleverley, who is a perpetual motion man, good positional strength and a suprisingly good tackler. Roy made a needless tactical and personell change against a dangerous countering side, and it nearly cost us.

Wow! Can't even beat Poland! Glad i'm not English ;)

If we had your keeper in our goal last night, in the same form he was in against Belgium, then we wouldn't have conceded! ;)

If we had your keeper in our goal last night, in the same form he was in against Belgium, then we wouldn't have conceded! ;)

He's always like that. Was a bit shocked that nobody in England took him on. We suck though.

Bit more news on the incited brawl:

Two unidentified England Under-21 players are among 12 people who have been charged by Serbian police for their part in the on-pitch brawl following the game in Krusevac earlier this month. Five Serbia U21 players and the assistant coaches of both teams have also been charged.

The brawl occurred following England's 1-0 European Championship qualifying win on 16 October, with players and officials from both teams clashing on the pitch amid accusations of racist abuse from the stands towards England defender Danny Rose.
Serbian police did not give the names of the players charged but said they had "committed an act of violence during a sports event".

Both countries' football associations have been charged by UEFA over the incident, while the Serbian FA has also been charged over the alleged racist abuse. The Serbian FA previously banned two of their players for a year for their part in the brawl, as well as two members of their coaching staff.

(SkySportsNews)

England should give Celtic's forster a chance in goal in their friendly, made some incredible saves in both Barcelona games.

Back