England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
Dear god, just a month ago all of you guys were labeling Hart as "best goalkeeper on the planet".

I have a very different theory on that, i think its the balls. Not his balls, the football balls.

The other day i was reading an interview with polish international goalkeeper from the 70s, and he said back in a day people would laugh at his face if he allowed some of the goals that nowadays you can see on the regular basis. But new balls are so much faster and unpredictable , it forces people to make more percepted mistakes.

It would certainly explain why all the world-class goalkeepers from 3-4 years back suddenly seem ******. Cech, Reina, Valdes, Buffon, even Casillas doesn't seem so untouchable anymore. So what, they all declined? At the same time? And the new generation is not doing much better. Hart, Neuer, Szczesny, De Gea were all supposed to be new wonderboys that within few years will skyrocket into the stardom, but somehow they all seem very erratic.

Dear god, just a month ago all of you guys were labeling Hart as "best goalkeeper on the planet".

I have a very different theory on that, i think its the balls. Not his balls, the football balls.

The other day i was reading an interview with polish international goalkeeper from the 70s, and he said back in a day people would laugh at his face if he allowed some of the goals that nowadays you can see on the regular basis. But new balls are so much faster and unpredictable , it forces people to make more percepted mistakes.

It would certainly explain why all the world-class goalkeepers from 3-4 years back suddenly seem ******. Cech, Reina, Valdes, Buffon, even Casillas doesn't seem so untouchable anymore. So what, they all declined? At the same time? And the new generation is not doing much better. Hart, Neuer, Szczesny, De Gea were all supposed to be new wonderboys that within few years will skyrocket into the stardom, but somehow they all seem very erratic.

He is a very good keeper, he still makes a plenty of mistakes. Really dont know who was labelling him as the best on the planet so thats a very off generalisation.

He is a very good keeper, he still makes a plenty of mistakes. Really dont know who was labelling him as the best on the planet so thats a very off generalisation.
Who is the current best GK (in the world) in your opinion? It's a real tricky one for me.

People have been saying the same thing about the balls for years, just another excuse for silly GK mistakes.

He is a very good keeper, he still makes a plenty of mistakes.

Last one from yesterday was bad anticipation on his part, but otherwise I wouldn't say he makes plenty. He occasionaly loses concentration and sometimes almost tries too hard which sometimes causes bad decisions, but that's just all his head, his skills are up there with the best. Plus again, i think nowadays GKs need to be far more careful for longshots than, say, 10 years ago. Dont'. Blink.

It just takes time to develop world-class goalkeeper split personality also known as Schmeichel Syndrome - be determined enough to bash skulls if neccessary , remain absolutely calm while doing it, only to go apeshit at the defense seconds later (so basically be borderline psychotic).

Good thing about Hart is yes he makes mistakes, but he has time on his side. He's still an excellent keeper, but has time to learn from the mistakes, learn and develop more and come back stronger.

Courtesy of SI- FM13 press interview

People have been saying the same thing about the balls for years, just another excuse for silly GK mistakes.

Its not an excuse , its a legitimate concern. 10 mph faster ball cant be even noticed in front of TV, but can make a difference between possible or impossible save. Human reaction time has its limits.

Last one from yesterday was bad anticipation on his part, but otherwise I wouldn't say he makes plenty. He occasionaly loses concentration and sometimes almost tries too hard which sometimes causes bad decisions, but that's just all his head, his skills are up there with the best. Plus again, i think nowadays GKs need to be far more careful for longshots than, say, 10 years ago. Dont'. Blink.

It just takes time to develop world-class goalkeeper split personality also known as Schmeichel Syndrome - be determined enough to bash skulls if neccessary , remain absolutely calm while doing it, only to go apeshit at the defense seconds later (so basically be borderline psychotic).

Should haved saved the third as well. Mix up with Cahill was lucky not to be punished well. Dropped a clanger with in his game against Spurs. He's been fairly erratic this season. and I dont see why it should be glossed over just because he happens to play for England.

Its not an excuse , its a legitimate concern. 10 mph faster ball cant be even noticed in front of TV, but can make a difference between possible or impossible save. Human reaction time has its limits.

Sure it makes a difference but they have had years with these type of balls and they should be aware of how they react and what you should expect from them.
The only time in recent memory for when the balls were a real issue was the world cups in South Korea and Japan(02) and South Africa(10) where both were either of a completely different weight or a ball not used by half the world that had vastly different flight. Both of which are down to the FA and the companies involved not making a uniform ball.

Sure it makes a difference but they have had years with these type of balls and they should be aware of how they react and what you should expect from them.

If its unpredictable, its unpredictable. It'd certainly explain why there's suddenly not even one "rock solid" GK on entire planet.

Should haved saved the third as well

Possibly. I mostly think you should have bigger wall, Ibra being as arrogant as he is , i don't expect he'd try any tricky plays with free kick other than simple powershot.

He's been fairly erratic this season.

Well, yeah. But then, everybody is. I'm starting to think we just need to get used to it.

Who is the current best GK (in the world) in your opinion? It's a real tricky one for me.

For me it's still Casillas, as it has been for the best part of a decade. He's world class at every aspect of goalkeeping, but his reflexes are simply the best ever.

Should haved saved the third as well. Mix up with Cahill was lucky not to be punished well. Dropped a clanger with in his game against Spurs. He's been fairly erratic this season. and I dont see why it should be glossed over just because he happens to play for England.

He's still a quality keeper and England's best since Seaman though, lets not get carried away.

Possibly. I mostly think you should have bigger wall, Ibra being as arrogant as he is , i don't expect he'd try any tricky plays with free kick other than simple powershot.

That's slightly putting down Ibra's freekick. It was very clever, the runners across the front drawing Hart away and making sure he only saw it at the last second.

Well, yeah. But then, everybody is. I'm starting to think we just need to get used to it.

Brad Friedel. When's the last time you saw him make a mistake? Also, for that matter, Villa's Brad Guzan has been quietly brilliant this season, and hasn't had one erratic moment at all.

England squad to face Brazil

Yh basically...

Jack Butland, Joe Hart,
Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker,
Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Leon Osman, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere,
Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbeck.

Got it off of bbc website

just wandering what people think of it, personally think it looks a bit weak at cb but the only real exlusions there are terry/ferdinand although I would like to see one of them in it.

Well both have retired although i think Rio may come back now. Just hope Cole gets to captain the side as he deserves for his 100th cap.

Well both have retired although i think Rio may come back now. Just hope Cole gets to captain the side as he deserves for his 100th cap.

Much as he deserves a 100th cap, Baines should be playing. Hands down best LB in england, certainly one of the best in europe.

If Cole plays, he must have the armband imo.

Will merge this with the England thread OP

i forgot that rio had retired, knew that terry had, my bad. Would like to see rio back tho, feel we've been weak at cb recently and could do with some more experience there.

I'd play cole for his 100th cap and give him the armband, but do think that baines is the much better player and should play for us more. Cole is probably the better defensively tho and so will play against the bigger countries especially under woy.

And thanks for moving it mike, knew there was an England thread but couldnt seem to find it

Good that Wilshere's back. He was outstanding against Liverpool on Wednesday and could be a real asset to England. Or what's more likely he'll get paired with Gerrard in a 4-4-1-1 with Cleverley in the hole.

i forgot that rio had retired, knew that terry had, my bad. Would like to see rio back tho, feel we've been weak at cb recently and could do with some more experience there.

I'd play cole for his 100th cap and give him the armband, but do think that baines is the much better player and should play for us more. Cole is probably the better defensively tho and so will play against the bigger countries especially under woy.

And thanks for moving it mike, knew there was an England thread but couldnt seem to find it

Section only shows thread have been posted on in the last month be default, so you wouldn't have seen it.

England thread will be stickied for future reference to make it easier to find.

I think we will be find with Jags, good commanding figure. Gerrard shoudnt start but I bet he will.

Carrick and Wilshere for me, if Gerrard has to play, then at AMC, Rooney up front.Welbeck right and Milner left

Section only shows thread have been posted on in the last month be default, so you wouldn't have seen it.

England thread will be stickied for future reference to make it easier to find.

I think we will be find with Jags, good commanding figure. Gerrard shoudnt start but I bet he will.

Carrick and Wilshere for me, if Gerrard has to play, then at AMC, Rooney up front.Welbeck right and Milner left

Okay guess that makes sense now then.

Yh i do like jagielka but I seem to remember him making quite a few mistakes in an england shirt recently, think he should start but would just prefer it if we werent having to rely on him to be our best cb.

Would like to see lennon and/or walcott start, and I'll be a bit disapointed when i see milner starting out wide although against Brazil it does make sense.

Back