England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
[h=1]Man United star Tom Cleverley is Roy Hodgson’s man on the move for England[/h]

Glenn Hoddle said:
Cleverley doesn’t seem the type who will spray 40 or 50-yard passes, but he is an energy player, someone who can pass and move, which is important in international football

Man United star Tom Cleverley is Roy Hodgson

Good article on Cleverley. Nothing new that regular watchers don't know but for some people who always question his ability and what he brings to the team.

Man United star Tom Cleverley is Roy Hodgson’s man on the move for England

Man United star Tom Cleverley is Roy Hodgson

Good article on Cleverley. Nothing new that regular watchers don't know but for some people who always question his ability and what he brings to the team.

I don't even need to read it personally. If the lad is constantly picked by Fergie then that says it all.

He's nothing special but he does what he does brilliantly well. He's a workhorse and he's reliable, hard to find many solid players like that.

I don't even need to read it personally. If the lad is constantly picked by Fergie then that says it all.

Not exactly a ton of world class options in the United middle though

Good player, but still have my doubts

I think he does a decent enough job but don't think the midfield have been that great tonight actually even Gerrard. Sometimes we need to keep hold of the ball instead of always looking for the hollywood ball.

List them, please. I'm curious as to why anyone is still doubting Tom Cleverley, and yet those same people hold Jack Wilshere to such a high standard.

And yes, I think he is THAT good. He's as tidy as any midfielder in England right now, but he's so multitalented as well. Moreover, people say he doesn't score, but he takes 8 shots for every goal (in the Prem), which is hardly an awful return for a midfielder. It's a better ratio than, say, David Silva, Yaya Toure, and even Carlos Tevez. He's not a terrible finisher - though it needs work - he just doesn't take too many shots because it isn't his game. He's a carrier of the ball, a constant motion distributor, not a goalscorer. Criticising him for not scoring is like criticising Van Persie for not defending very well.

I think he does a decent enough job but don't think the midfield have been that great tonight actually even Gerrard. Sometimes we need to keep hold of the ball instead of always looking for the hollywood ball.

Nothing new there, you have to expect that when Gerrard's playing. I sometimes think he steps into Carrick's space too often when the Gerrard of old would burst forward, but I guess that conservatism is down to age.

List them, please. I'm curious as to why anyone is still doubting Tom Cleverley, and yet those same people hold Jack Wilshere to such a high standard.

And yes, I think he is THAT good. He's as tidy as any midfielder in England right now, but he's so multitalented as well. Moreover, people say he doesn't score, but he takes 8 shots for every goal (in the Prem), which is hardly an awful return for a midfielder. It's a better ratio than, say, David Silva, Yaya Toure, and even Carlos Tevez. He's not a terrible finisher - though it needs work - he just doesn't take too many shots because it isn't his game. He's a carrier of the ball, a constant motion distributor, not a goalscorer. Criticising him for not scoring is like criticising Van Persie for not defending very well.

Just like to add i do rate him, he is a good player and improving... but not as good as what some are making out, yet anyway

Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs, Scholes, Powell, Kagawa

For me its the weakest part of the United team. Again i do rate him, but if there were better options im not sure he would be getting in the side

Also shocking from Roy Hodgson. Getting dominated for the whole of the second half, and waits to change things until after they score

Woy Logic.

It's official! Roy Hodgson has caught "Rafa Benitezitis". Obvious you WILL concede, desperately need to change things but don't and then wonder why you concede! It's spreading!

Just like to add i do rate him, he is a good player and improving... but not as good as what some are making out, yet anyway

For me its the weakest part of the United team. Again i do rate him, but if there were better options im not sure he would be getting in the side

You act like we're deprived of resources to buy a new midfielder if we wanted. We don't have a better option because we've chosen to develop him, because we think he will be that good.

Who're you comparing Tom Cleverley with then most of them you have listed are older with experience. If you are comparing Steven Gerrard performance today with Tom Cleverley, I would say Tom is better keeping ball than Steven who seem to want to play the long killer ball all the time, that does work maybe once in ten passes he makes or he tries to shoot from long range and how many times does he gets it on target.

Last edited:
You act like we're deprived of resources to buy a new midfielder if we wanted. We don't have a better option because we've chosen to develop him, because we think he will be that good.

I know United are not short of money, they have a very good team in all areas, i just think the central area is the weakest

Who're you comparing Tom Cleverley with then most of them you have listed are older with experience. If you are comparing Steven Gerrard performance today with Tom Cleverley, I would say Tom is better keeping ball than Steven who seem to want to play the long killer ball all the time, that does work maybe once in ten passes he makes or he tries to shoot from long range and many times does he gets it on target.

Im comparing him to United's midfield... Nothing to do with Gerrard

Back