Euro 2012 Match Discussion Thread

I'm glad we made all the pressure, it could have been different if we hadn't ;).

I said what I wanted about the game but people still keep bringing up petty arguments o_O We lost, unfair for us to lose but unfair for spain to lose too, it was tight. I do not remember any doing doing what we did to Spain today in a LONG time ;) .
And I'm not talking about friendlies, but about real competition. Out of all the teams in the euro we were the only that didn't conceed a goal.

In fairness, you made a big deal of it before the game, so you cant then expect people not to point out afterwards.

Game was even, despite spains dominance of possession they were very much stifled

Credit where it is due, cristiano just gave a very decent interview on spanish TV, It's very sad that people boo him wherever he goes, as a Real Madrid fan I've seen him getting better, humbler and improving his gameplay however all he gets is flak and more flak.

Agreed, its a shame. I disliked him when he was younger, but he really improved both as a player and as a person.

They can point out whatever they want, it was not a certainty but a possibilty.

God, people make such a hassle out of everything, but I suppose Freud explains that well. Good night to all and may Italy win this.

In fairness, you made a big deal of it before the game, so you cant then expect people not to point out afterwards.

Game was even, despite spains dominance of possession they were very much stifled

As i have already told everyone here, it will be a SPAIN V GERMANY final, no way will Italy get there, the Germans want it too much, expect the italians to be falling over lots and complaining too, about mystical fouls and getting german players booked on purpose and all in vain when they go out either in normal - extra or penalties, German team utterley believe this euro's will be there's to win, that's it. :)

How do you know all of these? My crystal ball lost power and I can not see the future now :( So how will it end up so I can put some money on it...

How do you know all of these? My crystal ball lost power and I can not see the future now :( So how will it end up so I can put some money on it...

Tbh so far everything has been quite predictable. Holland tearing itself apart? Check. France telling itself apart? Check. England going out in penalties? Check. Spain in the final? Check.

Its a shame because it started as best tournament in many years, goals, great games, drama, unexpected events like lightning storm breaking up the game...but the lack of surprises so far has killed it a bit.

Quite sure Italy can pull it off and Pirlo can dictate 2 more games, but this is football so predictions are really hard to make. This is why I never bet on football.

Moreover Germany are a strong team and have showed that, but they are also not that convincing to make them the big favourites for their match against Italy. In the other hand we have Italy with Pirlo, De Rossi and Buffon, 3 undoubtfully world class players, that can change stuff and a team that can change shape and play attacking football, so it is again hard to say that it will be an easy win for Germany.

In the end in such tournaments anyone can beat anyone and it is just not 1 or 2 teams that have proved that.

Yes Holland tearing itself apart was an easy guess. France was over rated and I am surpriced they passed the group (the team has lots of potential tough) - see that is a surprice. Englan going out in penalties was also a surprice, infact the game could have easily beein at least 3:0. Spain in the final - check. However they could have been easily out of the groups or lose the penalties against Portugal, it is not that they had an easy and predictable way to the final.

Between Italy playing 120 minutes and Germany having 2 more days to rest there can only be one result. I'd like to believe in other possibilites but given the circumstanses, it doesn't seem reasonable.

I think people are too much pointing fingers on fitness and conditioning, while in my oppinion momentum is more important in tournaments like this one. When both teams got the momentum it is Italy that are still with this emotional victory over England.

Momentum over fitness and conditioning....not in my book tbh. All very well having momentum and confidence, but if you have players who are carrying knocks, still tired both physically and mentally, the momentum thing just goes out the window. You can't be expected to beat a team like Germany when not fully fit and you have your best players not lasting at least 80 minutes. Of course shocks happen, but I suspect that's more likely to happen due to an individual error, rather than the opposiing teams momentum.

Momentum over fitness and conditioning....not in my book tbh. All very well having momentum and confidence, but if you have players who are carrying knocks, still tired both physically and mentally, the momentum thing just goes out the window. You can't be expected to beat a team like Germany when not fully fit and you have your best players not lasting at least 80 minutes. Of course shocks happen, but I suspect that's more likely to happen due to an individual error, rather than the opposiing teams momentum.

Indeed, and its not as if Germany dont have momentum, having won every single one of their games. Germany will have had more rest, and that extra fitness and conditioning will be the key, especially if Germany force a high tempo game.

Well the Octopus has one of the teams he wanted in the finals, let's see today.

Germany is better than Italy in terms of quality, but Italy is always Italy and they can surprise.

I wonder if Italy will go back to their 3-5-2 (Two Wing Back's) formation, like they had against Spain, they clearly fancied their chances against England, probably not so much against Germany.

I wonder if Italy will go back to their 3-5-2 (Two Wing Back's) formation, like they had against Spain, they clearly fancied their chances against England, probably not so much against Germany.

There is no point to get to 3-5-2. In first look if the most important in this game is the possession of the ball then Italy's system looks stronger. Having Cassano drop deep will give them numerical advantage and Italy should be able to over run Germany. There according to me is no need for 3-5-2 and over do the mid advantage. I will fear only if Leow starts Kroos in Ozil's position while the latest is moved on the flang against a physically weak defender.

However, on facebook they have posted a line up that suggests that Italy will play 3-5-2. Lets see how it goes.

There is no point to get to 3-5-2. In first look if the most important in this game is the possession of the ball then Italy's system looks stronger. Having Cassano drop deep will give them numerical advantage and Italy should be able to over run Germany. There according to me is no need for 3-5-2 and over do the mid advantage. I will fear only if Leow starts Kroos in Ozil's position while the latest is moved on the flang against a physically weak defender.

However, on facebook they have posted a line up that suggests that Italy will play 3-5-2. Lets see how it goes.

Also Maggio is suspended , that is why Balzaretti is on the right .

Looks like Germans struggle a bit when dealing with two mobile strikers. I thought 3-5-2 was a good counter to 4-man defense lines in days of man marking , but maybe we'll see it spring back to life after all.