Euro 2012 Match Discussion Thread

Bad system used from Germany and it was easy to predict that Italy will just over run the mid. First half Leow send Yozil to the trap of Prandelli - Chiellini and De Rossi, and instead of neutralizing each other (Pirlo and Yozil) we had Pirlo still dictating the tempo and the game, while Yozil could not do anything guarded by the best defender and def mid out there.

Before the EU Cup started I said that Italy are too dependent on him and I did not like it, but **** Pirlo is making massive action and delivering.

Germany didnt press Pirlo, and I really dont understand why. Whereas Italy pressed Ozil. There was a case for Muller through the middle, and to attack down the flanks.

Actually made a point to watch the CMs from Italy and some of the movement and passes were brilliant. Really compact unit, and the strikers did a superb job imposing themselves on the game. Lastly, I think it's a little harsh to say "f##ked by the southern europeans they despise so much"; I do know you love your stereotypes and to try to make it about more than just sport, but looking at the numbers of German tourists who visit southern european nations it isn't the people they object to, just the profligacy rampant.

We have lots of tourists here :) But it's an historical issue ;) .

Also I have german friends, good people too. But you would know what I mean ... Portugal, Greece...

Anyway this is not the place, was the heat of the moment just that.
Actually made a point to watch the CMs from Italy and some of the movement and passes were brilliant. Really compact unit, and the strikers did a superb job imposing themselves on the game. Lastly, I think it's a little harsh to say "f##ked by the southern europeans they despise so much"; I do know you love your stereotypes and to try to make it about more than just sport, but looking at the numbers of German tourists who visit southern european nations it isn't the people they object to, just the profligacy rampant.

Last edited:
Haha Germany lost, i'm a England fan and have been since 1990 wc, backed England as you'd expect from any fan to do, then after they went out, thought who should follow now, and so going against all my loyalty to my country, backed germany to reach final along with spain, then tonight found out only the team germany don't beat is the italians in competions, thought well tonight be different with the german team full of talented individuals sure thing to get through, well that's the last time i tip THE GERMANS !!!
never again lol.

Keep it to the football, not the politics.

The amount of space Pirlo had was bizzare. You'd think with Khedira and Schweinstrapiojzpaerj he'd be isolated better.

Italy were class tonight, from defence to attack.

Players who impressed me most were: Pirlo, De Rossi, Montolivo, Cassano (worked his *** off).

Germany didnt press Pirlo, and I really dont understand why. Whereas Italy pressed Ozil. There was a case for Muller through the middle, and to attack down the flanks.

Did you notice no one presses Pirlo? Well guess why? It's not like pressing the avarage dlp. Pirlo is smart and his technique is world class, how can an offensive player press him and be effective? Italy's system is also smart - press pirlo, no problems we have De Rossi to drop deep and Bonnuci, Chiellini to deliver a good pass if needed.

Perfect example of why chopping and changing your side can be dangerous.

Anyone see the video of Mario hugging fans?

Dude looks absolutely determined to win it all.

Did you notice no one presses Pirlo? Well guess why? It's not like pressing the avarage dlp. Pirlo is smart and his technique is world class, how can an offensive player press him and be effective? Italy's system is also smart - press pirlo, no problems we have De Rossi to drop deep and Bonnuci, Chiellini to deliver a good pass if needed.

Actually not quite true. You can offensively press him, because, while technically gifted he isnt mobile. What Germany didnt do is press as a unit, and force the escape ball to be rushed. To say no one presses him isnt quite true. Germany simiply had no game to plan to press him, and suffered for it. Chiellini or Bonucci passing it isnt as dangerous as Pirlo, which why they should still have rushed him.

Because he is smart in picking positions they do not try to press him. He might not be the most mobile and quick player, but again his movement is really smart. He can pass back and pick an new position, but it is hard to take him the ball. So I think there is just no point to do it, unless one starts with 4-3-2-1 and has 2 AMCs doing that and isolate his movement and De Rossi's dropping back.

Because he is smart in picking positions they do not try to press him. He might not be the most mobile and quick player, but again his movement is really smart. He can pass back and pick an new position, but it is hard to take him the ball. So I think there is just no point to do it, unless one starts with 4-3-2-1 and has 2 AMCs doing that and isolate his movement and De Rossi's dropping back.

Its better to rush him, than do nothing. He is just too good to be left alone. Better to force him to pass to Chiellini, than let him pick a pass. There was a case for Muller here, playing AMC. could have made it more difficult for him.

Well, while I agree that they should not let him and this could work in a club level, I do not think it is always good to pressure him. As said earlier he is not the avarage Joe, he is world class and Italy's tactic is good too.

Pass back to Chiellini => move to a new possition + De Rossi drops back => Chiellini now has 2 good options and he is very comfortable with the ball. So nothing really changes. Italy can hold the ball deep and tire a high pressing team, that is what I said few pages earlier - that it will be interesting how the usually defensive Germany will cope with the Italians who can control the ball from deep.

It is like suggesting to press Barcelona or Spain. It might work but requeres a huge amount of fitnes. Not an easy task. And again it is not like pressing Carrick or someone alike, players that are good servents with their defensive play rather than passing. While Pirlo might not be the best in defending in his role but is a ginious in building the play.

If Ozil can be pressed even though he has comparable ball control and can actually move faster then 80 year old grandpa, then so can Pirlo. Although Pirlo also is excellent in playing with his back to enemy goal , not once i saw him pull pressuring DMs onto his half , only to turn around and send 50 meter jaw droping pass. But it is better then just let him roam. You let him roam you lose the game, and thats about what happened today.

I think Cesare Prandelli is a top manager, I wish England had someone who could use a modern-style formation/system.

If Ozil can be pressed even though he has comparable ball control and can actually move faster then 80 year old grandpa, then so can Pirlo. Although Pirlo also is excellent in playing with his back to enemy goal , not once i saw him pull pressuring DMs onto his half , only to turn around and send 50 meter jaw droping pass. But it is better then just let him roam. You let him roam you lose the game, and thats about what happened today.

The difference is that Yozil is an AMC and guarded by defensive players with good defensive skills and mind, while Pirlo is a DM and guarded by offensive players with offensive skills and mindset.

Low said that Kroos was there to try and nullify Pirlo. Surprised that he lasted the whole 90mins. Italy were superb, have gotten better with every game.

Well, while I agree that they should not let him and this could work in a club level, I do not think it is always good to pressure him. As said earlier he is not the avarage Joe, he is world class and Italy's tactic is good too.

Pass back to Chiellini => move to a new possition + De Rossi drops back => Chiellini now has 2 good options and he is very comfortable with the ball. So nothing really changes. Italy can hold the ball deep and tire a high pressing team, that is what I said few pages earlier - that it will be interesting how the usually defensive Germany will cope with the Italians who can control the ball from deep.

It is like suggesting to press Barcelona or Spain. It might work but requeres a huge amount of fitnes. Not an easy task. And again it is not like pressing Carrick or someone alike, players that are good servents with their defensive play rather than passing. While Pirlo might not be the best in defending in his role but is a ginious in building the play.

Carrick is much more of a passer than a defender.

Germany are not defensive either, Havent been for about 6 months. And it can certainly work at International level, if there is one side that had the players to press Pirlo and Italy it was Germany. Nothing to do with being the average joe.

Low said that Kroos was there to try and nullify Pirlo. Surprised that he lasted the whole 90mins. Italy were superb, have gotten better with every game.

He didn't really press, nor did they press the outlets.

Germanys big error was to not force the tempo. it stayed slow, which helped pirlo.

Congratulations Italy! Very happy they're through to the final, and hoping they win on Sunday.