Euro 2012 Match Discussion Thread

Way to stop Pirlo? Keep the ball away from him... Take note Hodgson.. Your 'possession don't matter' policy is bullshit.

Spain have been unbelievable!

Not sure why Hodgson should take note... when you have **** all time to prepare and players injured, a possession approach is not in question. And possession doesnt matter, if you can punish a side with the few times you have it.

Not sure why Hodgson should take note... when you have **** all time to prepare and players injured, a possession approach is not in question. And possession doesnt matter, if you can punish a side with the few times you have it.
It does. If you hold the ball, opposition team can't score.

Please bring me back decent football o_O Spain is BORING. I know that you don't need to be flashy to win, but please...

Doesn't mean that the match is yours either.
It does not matter wether you have 80% possession or 20%; what does count is what you do while you're in possession of the ball.

Chelsea and Inter Milan are two teams that disagree for a start. Controlling possession doesnt matter, if you take advantage on the break.

Chelsea and Inter Milan are two teams that disagree for a start. Controlling possession doesnt matter, if you take advantage on the break.
I agree that pure possession is not crucial. But if you have the ball 70% of the time, that means that you're opponent is dangerous only 30% of the game. Pure mathematic.
But, if you use those 30% like Chelsea or Inter did, and you negate their possession, well, that's great.

I agree that pure possession is not crucial. But if you have the ball 70% of the time, that means that you're opponent is dangerous only 30% of the game. Pure mathematic.
But, if you use those 30% like Chelsea or Inter did, and you negate their possession, well, that's great.

Thats why possession isn't the be all and end all. As an absolute it doesnt matter, what matters is what's done with it. If a team has 70% of the ball, but cant create a good opportunity, its meaningless.

Way to show everyone that Spain is still on top... Shame about the injuries for Italy though, but i'm sure Spain would have won anyways

Outstanding from Spain, they played their best game of the Euros, Italy never really stood a chance.

Congratulations

I just watched best national team in the history. Good way to spend the evening.

A little question, who goes to the Confed cup when the winner of the EC and the WC are the same?

Thats why possession isn't the be all and end all. As an absolute it doesn't matter, what matters is what's done with it. If a team has 70% of the ball, but cant create a good opportunity, its meaningless.
I agree. But you'll have more chances creating opportunities if you have high possession.

Kris I believe you called this euros would see the return of El Niño ;) congrats to Spain fully deserved once again.

I agree. But you'll have more chances creating opportunities if you have high possession.

You'll also have more chances creating opportunities if you play 1-1-9. Doesn't mean its automatically winning strategy.

Rodgers first statement as liverpool boss was if you have 70% possession, you have a 70% chance to win a game

its not everything, you have to score and create chances with this possession

But it allows other players from opposition team less time on the ball, and it shown with Pirlo not being allowed to be as influential

Fully agree with the tiki taka style of football and the success is alot more than a negative approach and trying to stop teams winning rather than trying to take the game to the opposition, it seems your relying on the other team missing alot of chances for you to have a chance

as a neutral fan i have to stay that Spain were amazing today they made Italy look like England.

Inter Milan yes, Chelsea no. How lucky did they get, the opposition created tons of chances against Chelsea in the semi and in the final. It was a lot down to luck, Mario Gomez missing chance after chance, you can't rely on that kind of luck (opposition not taking their chances) to win consistently at top level of football.

England need to work on keeping the ball, not chasing the ball around and being content with an average of 38% possession over a tournament, just above Greece, absolutely awful.

Oh and England also playing this way got lucky even to go to penalties against Italy, could of been 3 or 4 nil to Italy easily.

Hodgson either needs to focus on having more possession or he will do absolutely nothing again next tournament, you may do well against teams like Sweden/Ukraine playing this way, but against any opponent with real quality you simply can't let them have so much control over a game and expect to win. Or do what England done the other night, absolutely exhaust themselves because they were chasing the ball for so long and practically playing for penalties.