August 31st, 2009 (cont.)

The excitement is building. Very shortly I will be boarding a plane to my destination, and home for the next 12 months. I’m getting all the usual feelings – tension, nerves, butterflies.

This better be worth the £495!

Money – it’s a wonderful thing. It comes and goes, but that transition happens way too quickly. That took a huge chunk out of my account: I only had £33.92 left after I paid for this course. It made me feel so much better about myself though, you know, actually doing something worthwhile.

Time for sleep, if I can get some. Ciao for now.

September 1st, 2009

busyp.png

******* six o’ clock!

My thoughts as the alarm sounded. I didn’t know there was such a time in the morning!

My flight is in three hours – I’ve packed, I’ve showered, I’ve brushed myself down.. all that needs doing is getting my **** to the airport. A taxi is coming for me, and he should be here any minute. Scoff the final slice of my healthy cheese on toast breakfast and wait in the hotel lobby.

. . . . .​

As I sat down in the back seat of the taxi, the driver politely asked if I needed a drink. I declined; I had my own stuff.

The driver was a tall, dark, handsome lad; in his thirties, curly black hair and a body-builder frame. He entered the hotel with such enthusiasm and excitement, it almost looked as if he was on his way abroad.

Inserting my earphones into my lugs, I waved goodbye to those who were watching me leave. I thanked each and every one of the lads and coaches and physios just before I jumped into the cab; I wouldn’t have been here if it wasn’t for the majority of them.

. . . . .​

We had arrived at the airport just after 30 minutes on the M4, and as I stepped out of the taxi, I thanked the driver and bumped into a man in a suit. He looked quite important, so I apologised. Turns out it was Michael Turner of Sunderland; the team were going to Spain for a friendly.

I had a brief encounter with a professional footballer.. yes!

Heathrow was heaving. There wasn’t enough room to fart, let alone breathe. There was a team of medics surrounding a young child who had fallen to the left.

I turned the blasting of my music off. I tried to plan my route through the masses of bodies.

Never been to an airport before. Seen plenty of footage on the news and pictures, but never actually been to one. It was a difficult task to navigate myself, but I’d made it in the end. I sat down and sipped a coffee. It tasted good on my parched morning mouth.

. . . . .​

A large man to my left. An Indian to my right. An Indian woman to my right – blabbing to herself what seemed to be about cooking and children, funnily enough.

It could be worse..

Could it?!

Last edited:
Quality Mike.

I love this more and more every time I read it. :D

Cheers both, writing as much as I can now. Very tired and up early for work tomorrow, but I'll try and cramp in another update before I leave.

I won't go as far and say this is the best story ever written, that accolade goes to Kris and his story, but it is by far the most humourous. Your Welshness Mike keeps me in stitches, awesome job :D

Im torn between Kris's and this. Rapes anything ive even done. Good for a Welshman I'd say!

September 1st, 2009 (cont.)

portela.png

For the whole of the time we were up in the air, the woman to my right was bickering, and whinging, and moaning about the ******* plane.

I wish I’d never booked this now!

Talking in her native language, I didn’t catch most of what she said – sorry, shouted – as, funnily enough, I’m not fluent in Indian. What I did catch, though, was:

‘Aaaahh buddy, burt bud’

Or something. God knows what it meant. Or perhaps he didn’t understand, either.

. . . . .​

The fat man to my left was quite a nice bloke: a bit feminine I would have said. He was ‘ooh’ this and ‘ooh’ that, making gestures with his hands. Kind of annoying, but often satisfactory compared to the other side. The dark side.

Heh, dark side.

. . . . .​

We landed in Lisbon’s Portela airport after around two and a half hours spent flying. As I left the plane, with a suitcase in either hand and backpack slung around my shoulder, I breathed in the fresh air of Portugal.

Then I remembered.

I shall be meeting you at the airport with my fellow Portuguese friend.

Who the ****** **** was that?! I shall be finding out sometime soon, anyway...

Looking forward to the next update Mike. :p

Top work as usual. :D

great Mike :), but just one question - where are the sheep? :D

I gazed around the packed airport (thankfully not as busy as Heathrow) to look for anything to do with myself. At first I couldn’t find anything that stood out to me. As the herd of people scattered, I could see a little sign held by a tall, handsome man with a figure next to him, with the name M. DALE scribbled over it.

As I got closer, the accent fitted with the mystery on the other side of the phone; it was a perfect match.

Carlos Queiroz stood and smiled, and greeted me with a manly handshake.

“Hello Michael. You should know me by now, but if not, I’m Carlos Queiroz, manager of the country’s football team. I’m glad to have welcomed you off your flight. How was your journey?”

Embarrassingly, I said nothing. I couldn’t.

Really? Portugal’s national football team’s manager?!

It was a nervous handshake. By this time, his ‘assistant’ had disappeared to be elsewhere, but he soon returned with a Starbucks coffee, filled over the top with froth and cream, and a sprinkle of chocolate.

“Oh, did you want one?”

He smiled cheesily as he patted me on the back.

Holy ****!

Lol, nice one Mike. :p

Gripping.

Apologies for the lack of updates, been without my laptop for a while, but as soon I get it back hopefully there will be a lot more for you to read!

fantastic mate. reading it during my class, and i completely ignored my teacher's teachings LOL.

KUTGW!! will be following

Luis Figo – arguably Portugal’s biggest legend – patted me on the back.

Nice to meet you. Mind if I call you Mike?

Again, I was mute. I was trembling. I couldn’t believe it. Just less than two months ago, I paid my way into this coaching course, then I’m meeting the country’s football manager and the country’s greatest footballer.

I gave a weary smile. It wasn’t fake. It was ****** hard to do it though.

. . . . .​

Sat in the back of a limousine, I was whisked to my hotel with Carlos and Luis. I dropped off my luggage and left the building where the two were waiting for me, and we walked to the nearest café.

Sat next to the window, we were getting plenty of attention from the street. We ordered a coffee each, and spoke about what I hoped to achieve by the time I leave here. It was hard to get the words right, but I managed well in the end.

Eventually, we set off to the camp where I will be spending the next four weeks: Lisbon’s Football Camp for the Disabled.

nice touch Mike keep on updating and I will keep on following

Good stuff once again mate, keep up the great work :)

September 2nd, 2009

I apologise for the absence of the update last night. My surroundings were really astonishing; I didn’t have the energy to write.

I spent the whole day, up until around half past nine, with Carlos Queiroz and Luis Figo. They left me, saying, “Don’t worry – you won’t see too much of us!”

Is that good? Do I want to be a nervous wreck throughout the year? I knew I wouldn’t be able to see them every day because they have lives away from whatever it is they’re doing here.

What exactly are they here doing with me!?

I have no idea. Is it a gag? I was too embarrassed to ask them what they were doing with me yesterday. I need to find out.

. . . . .​

When I arrived at Escola de Futebol de Lisboa para Deficientes (EFLD for short – the football camp I am at), I glanced around. There was no sign of anybody on the football pitch – it was a dull day, with a light drizzle, but surely it wasn’t football-stopping weather.

I entered the large, misshaped building to find a screaming receptionist yelling down the phone, and there was no one else in sight.

Where the **** is everybody?

I popped my head into every open door to see if any life was in the room – nothing. I dialled the number Carlos gave me yesterday, but it rung out. I dialled the number Luis gave me, but that too rung out. I tried Carlos’ number again, but this time an answer came. And it definitely wasn’t Carlos.

Or Luis.

“Who are you, where are you, and you better have a ****** good reason for phoning!”

I hung up.