F.A Community Shield

I think we should change things around a bit. For a while its been Terry & ____ (Alex, Carvalho, Ivanovic), now I'm thinking it should be Ivanovic & ____. But then I don't think anyone we have is particularly great to partner him. The problem with Terry is he's a good defender but he can't deal with pace, at all. I think that Ramires coming in would be great, and my ideal formation after that would be this.
GK: Cech
RB: Bosingwa
LB: Cole
CB: Ivanovic
CB: Terry/Alex
DM: Essien
DM: Ramires
RW: Benayoun
LW: Zhirkov
AM: Lampard
ST: Drogba
Essien and Ramires holding would be great, as either one can stay back and the other can attack. I prefer Zhirkov to Malouda, personally, and I'm unsure whether I prefer Terry or Alex. If Bosingwa were injured Ivanovic can move to right back and Terry & Alex could be CB's. We have a few replacements for CB's (Carvalho, etc.) anyway, and if Cole were to be injured, Zhirkov could move to LB, Malouda taking his place. If Lampard were to be injured, Benayoun could play centrally and Kalou could play RW, if Essien or Ramires were injured, Mikel could replace one. If Benayoun were injured, Kalou could replace him, if Zhirkov were injured Malouda could take his place, and Anelka could come in for Drogba.
Drogba
Zhirkov Lampard Benayoun
Essien Ramires
Cole Terry/Alex Ivanovic Bosingwa
Cech
I think Chelsea would benefit from this a lot more than we did against Man Utd. Although we weren't helped by injuries, I think leaving Zhirkov and Benayoun on the bench was a mistake - Kalou may have scored, but I don't rate him at all, and Malouda was pretty poor. Hopefully we can sort things out come the start of the Premiership.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

You don't usually read too much into pre-season, but 4 defeats in a row should be enough to worry you whether it's pre-season or not - especially when your next game is the first game of the new season!

Most of pre-season we haven't been playing our first team.

I think we should change things around a bit. For a while its been Terry & ____ (Alex, Carvalho, Ivanovic), now I'm thinking it should be Ivanovic & ____. But then I don't think anyone we have is particularly great to partner him. The problem with Terry is he's a good defender but he can't deal with pace, at all. I think that Ramires coming in would be great, and my ideal formation after that would be this.
GK: Cech
RB: Bosingwa
LB: Cole
CB: Ivanovic
CB: Terry/Alex
DM: Essien
DM: Ramires
RW: Benayoun
LW: Zhirkov
AM: Lampard
ST: Drogba
Essien and Ramires holding would be great, as either one can stay back and the other can attack. I prefer Zhirkov to Malouda, personally, and I'm unsure whether I prefer Terry or Alex. If Bosingwa were injured Ivanovic can move to right back and Terry & Alex could be CB's. We have a few replacements for CB's (Carvalho, etc.) anyway, and if Cole were to be injured, Zhirkov could move to LB, Malouda taking his place. If Lampard were to be injured, Benayoun could play centrally and Kalou could play RW, if Essien or Ramires were injured, Mikel could replace one. If Benayoun were injured, Kalou could replace him, if Zhirkov were injured Malouda could take his place, and Anelka could come in for Drogba.
Drogba
Zhirkov Lampard Benayoun
Essien Ramires
Cole Terry/Alex Ivanovic Bosingwa
Cech
I think Chelsea would benefit from this a lot more than we did against Man Utd. Although we weren't helped by injuries, I think leaving Zhirkov and Benayoun on the bench was a mistake - Kalou may have scored, but I don't rate him at all, and Malouda was pretty poor. Hopefully we can sort things out come the start of the Premiership.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Most of pre-season we haven't been playing our first team.

you had one player out injured Cech?

United had Ferdinand, Rafeal, Evra, Neville out but it didn't hurt us.

as a centre back you have to be tough because strikers will genualy got tough with you. im just saying his tackles yesterday were so late it was unreal.

Did you watch Terry's two footed lunge last season and the one against Milner where he caught the knee.? So as a CB you can be reckless tackler but as a CM you cant. Do you really think players has that mentality say Terry thinks I'm CB and i'm gonna broke your ******* leg, and Scholes thinks Oh **** i'm a CM i wont tackle. Let Vidic break his leg..?? Players dont think about what position they play. If the ball is there to win, they go for it.

Last edited:
Paul Scholes has never been able to tackle, its not part of his game. John Terry is a center back and tackleing is ment to be part of his game yet sometimes it looks like Terry would rather hurt the man than get the ball. There is a difference.

im not disagreeing terry is like this and this is his mentality. but scholes has been around and playing at the top for years yet he still cant tackle thats all. yes his good points massivly stand out over his tackling but its just somthing im amazed by.

im not disagreeing terry is like this and this is his mentality. but scholes has been around and playing at the top for years yet he still cant tackle thats all. yes his good points massivly stand out over his tackling but its just somthing im amazed by.

but if you have followed Chelsea since the 90's like you say... you'd no Scholes has never been one to make a decent tackle, its not in his game!

The last 3 games you have, and you lost them.

I'm not talking about the whole of pre-season, I'm saying that losing 4 in a row at any time is not a good thing. Even more so when the next game you have after those 4 defeats is the first game of the new Premier League season. Everyone wants to go into the new season off a good result or a good performance, and Chelsea's last 4 performances haven't been good and you haven't got wins is all I'm saying.

to be fair we had alex and carvalho out and either of them would have partnered terry and ivanovic would have sat in at right back. and the goalkeeper is a pretty big position to have a injury in especially when its petr cech.

you might be amazed, but its also pretty irrelevant in terms of his game. im not sure why you are focusing on his tackling this is not new. at the end of the day its not whats hes about.

Drogba wasn't fully fit - I'm surprised how sharp he looked, and Alex, Carvalho and Bosingwa were also injured, which hurt us because Ivanovic was unable to move to right back because he had to take Alex's place - forcing us to play Ferreira, who, to be honest, is awful.
EDIT: As CJACKO said, Cech being out pretty important as well, as Hilario is, quite frankly, ****.

By the way, Kalou - "I'm looking to score 15 to 20 goals"
YouTube- ‪Salomon Kalou Post Match Interview - The FA Community Shield 2010‬‎
Somehow I don't see it happening <_<

Last edited:
The last 3 games you have, and you lost them.

I'm not talking about the whole of pre-season, I'm saying that losing 4 in a row at any time is not a good thing. Even more so when the next game you have after those 4 defeats is the first game of the new Premier League season. Everyone wants to go into the new season off a good result or a good performance, and Chelsea's last 4 performances haven't been good and you haven't got wins is all I'm saying.

honestly im just annoyed they havent won in the last 4 games but im not worried at all.

to be fair we had alex and carvalho out and either of them would have partnered terry and ivanovic would have sat in at right back. and the goalkeeper is a pretty big position to have a injury in especially when its petr cech.
we have had injuries as well. chelsea supposedly have a stronger squad than us. we have rotated plently of youngsters in and out of our pre season games. we played without rio, most of our world cup plyers have only just started playing in the last 2 games. no excuses, we're all in the same boat

anyway we're drifting well off the topic of the game, lets get back on track

Drogba wasn't fully fit - I'm surprised how sharp he looked, and Alex and Bosingwa were also injured, which hurt us because Ivanovic was unable to move to right back because he had to take Alex's place - forcing us to play Ferreira, who, to be honest, is awful.

By the way, Kalou - "I'm looking to score 15 to 20 goals"
YouTube- ‪Salomon Kalou Post Match Interview - The FA Community Shield 2010‬‎
Somehow I don't see it happening <_<

this could go on all day....

Rooney, Owen, Ji-Sung wasn't fully fit but still played. Its the first official game of the season and both teams had problems with fitness and injuries but United delt with it better.

Ok let me put it in a very simple way.

Scholes is a CM, 16 years on still mistimes his tacles.

Terry is a CB for almost 10 years. Tackling should be his strong point but still he mistimes, kicks, lunges whatever you want to add.

So you should not be amazed watching Scholes mistiming his tackles. Can you?

we have had injuries as well. chelsea supposedly have a stringger squad than us. we have rotated plently of youngsters in and out of our pre season games. we played without rio, most of our world cup plyers have only just started playing in the last 2 games. no excuses, we're all in the same boat

i didnt blame injurys we had a good enough side out there yesterday but im just not worried at all.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Terry is a CB for almost 10 years. Tackling should be his strong point but still he mistimes, kicks, lunges whatever you want to add.

i agreed with you that Terrys mistimes tackles alot!!!

this could go on all day....

Rooney, Owen, Ji-Sung wasn't fully fit but still played. Its the first official game of the season and both teams had problems with fitness and injuries but United delt with it better.

To be fair, I was pointing out that it hurt us, especially considering who it was that was forced into playing (Hilario, Ferreira), because of those injuries. I'm not saying its the sole reason we lost - Man Utd clearly were better than us - but I am saying that it didn't do us any favours.

Also, anyone else surprised by how well Sturridge looked? I'm expecting big things from him this year.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

The reason Terry mistimes a lot of his tackles is the fact that he can't deal with pace.

To be fair, I was pointing out that it hurt us, especially considering who it was that was forced into playing (Hilario, Ferreira), because of those injuries. I'm not saying its the sole reason we lost - Man Utd clearly were better than us - but I am saying that it didn't do us any favours.

Also, anyone else surprised by how well Sturridge looked? I'm expecting big things from him this year.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

The reason Terry mistimes a lot of his tackles is the fact that he can't deal with pace.

i was very impressed with Danny yesterday mate i hope he takes his chances this season.

Talk about the game, not about how **** at tackeling Scholes is, it's not a big part of his game, so move on.

what did people make of the media hype of ashley cole apparently snubbing capello's handshake. not much was said about it on here and im just wondering if anyone even knew about it??? plus i will add Chelsea reserves beat Man Utd reserves 4-1 this weekend just to take my mind off this defeat a little bit haha.

Last edited:
what did people make of the media hype of ashley cole apparently snubbing capello's handshake. not much was said about it on here and im just wondering if anyone even knew about it??? plus i will add Chelsea reserves beat Man Utd reserves 4-1 this weekend just to take my mind off this defeat a little bit haha.

It's obvious..

Cashley's a ****, end of.

Back