Fabregas criticises Ipswich Town's "rugby tactics"

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 90
  • Views 6K
Okay guys, remember that he was ****** off, but we don't need to slander him.

Some of the comments on this thread are immature.

It's just a tactic, nothing wrong with what Ipswich did - it worked after all.

Just perform in the 2nd leg instead of playing like **** and there won't be an issue.

Can't really slander him imo. He's loaded with talent, a fantastic player, but just needs to accept the loss and take it on the chin. Can happen to any team. The fear factor generated by Premiership teams doesn't seem to exist anymore. Makes the cups more exciting.

considering arsenals stature in the football world they should have adapted to it and disallowed them to get anything from the tactic.

I just hope Leeds can play 'rugby' just as good next week. ha ha

maybe they should join in training with the rhino's for a few days over the course of the week <)

Come on Cesc, give them a little credit. We weren't good enough on the day. Thats the only way they felt they could beat us, and it worked. Playing like that isn't going to work every game but on the day it came off.

I'm sorry Cesc, but this criticism is totally undeserved. Ipswich have found the way round Arsenal and used it to full effect. They have won that game fair and square and deserve the result. Someone's clearly using frustration at his own performance on the opposition.

Sour grapes, but sometimes you're ****** at the end of a game. I've criticized the refs in anger on FM knowing I'd get fined for it because I was that frustrated. From a video game.

Deal with it. Football is about winning, Not playing attractive football. Arsenal dont have the players to deal with hoofs, so teams have correctly identified, and use it against them. Hoofing isn't a crime, rather a successful tactic.
Arsenal players and fans need to stand up and accept that.

Not necessarily. Who pays the wages of the managers, players, and owners? The fans do. From what I understand, in England the ticket prices are absolutely outrageous. You have to be wealthy just to attend a couple of games, much less be a season ticket holder. Would I pay that much to watch boring football? Definitely not. I think the players/managers have a duty to try and play at least somewhat attractive football. Not to mention, I think the sides that do play more attractive football end up developing better players. Since they're trying to do something other than run their brains out and head the ball in on a set piece.

Sour grapes, but sometimes you're ****** at the end of a game. I've criticized the refs in anger on FM knowing I'd get fined for it because I was that frustrated. From a video game.

Not necessarily. Who pays the wages of the managers, players, and owners? The fans do. From what I understand, in England the ticket prices are absolutely outrageous. You have to be wealthy just to attend a couple of games, much less be a season ticket holder. Would I pay that much to watch boring football? Definitely not. I think the players/managers have a duty to try and play at least somewhat attractive football. Not to mention, I think the sides that do play more attractive football end up developing better players. Since they're trying to do something other than run their brains out and head the ball in on a set piece.

Yet this game was fascinating and highly entertaining, despite the 'rugby tactics'

Yeah, its poor sportmanship, but I watched the first half and he's not wrong. Long ball is an understatement

Your such a comedian not

He has a point. Wenger rarely criticises the performance of his players and always finds an excuse. I believe that he mentioned the amount of fixtures in a short space of time, immediately after the game, rather than saying his team were poor.

I respect that he has since said that Ipswich did well and Arsenal weren't good enough in their passing, and he probably just needed time to reflect. I think he, and Cesc, were just frustrated that close to their strongest team lost to a struggling championship side

maybe if wenger had bought a quality CB they could have dealt with these "rugby kicks";)
U 11's are told don't let the ball bouce in defence:p

Goodness gracious. Bottom line is, when you're playing a team like Arsenal, you pick a tactic you think is going to win, and use it. It may not always be pretty, but I'm sorry. I'd plump for a win against a Premiership club using whatever tactic. Maybe it's a case of a lot of football fans have been exposed to too much attractive, attacking football, and aren't used to seeing an efficient, in your face type strategy. Not slagging anybody off, but maybe thats the case?

Clearly Fabregas has never seen a rugby game then... In rugby you can't kick the ball to a team-mate in front of you, so I really don't understand what his point is.

I am disliking Cesc more and more these days he never looks interested and we all know he will join Barcelona eventually. We lost fair and square and Ipswich deserved to win ,no excuses

Yet this game was fascinating and highly entertaining, despite the 'rugby tactics'

I wasn't talking about that game in particular (didn't see it), I was just responding to his claim that football is only about winning and not about playing attractive football. People have different views on this, but in some countries (especially Brazil and Argentina), if you're not playing attractive football the fans want your head. I like it that way and think it has a positive effect on the game and the development of the players.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about that game in particular (didn't see it), I was just responding to his claim that football is only about winning and not about playing attractive football. People have different views on this, but in some countries (especially Brazil and Argentina), if you're not playing attractive football the fans want your head. I like it that way and think it has a positive effect on the game and the development of the players.

Call me old fashioned, but I like good old British football, with it's passion and commitment, battling midfielders and strong challenges. Then again, I am a defender and enjoy keeping a clean sheet more than scoring - I guess I'm in the minority!