Fabregas criticises Ipswich Town's "rugby tactics"

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 90
  • Views 6K
Don't you think though that this style of play is detrimental to the development of your youngsters? I think it helps explains the problems with English youth development, which is why your national team has struggled in the last 10-15 years and why there aren't many English players in the Premiership.

Globally, the game has changes a lot, and it's fair to say that we English haven't adapted to European and Worldwide football. It shouldn't always be detrimental though (as shown by Ipswich beating Arsenal). The influx of foreigners can be put down to a desire to watch attacking, flair football. As I said, I think I'm in the minority when I say I enjoy the scrappy side of our game

Cesc, Cesc, Cesc

You played poor yesterday along with arshavin you gave away a ball that led to the goal and missed a sitter it was a poor performance from him

ipswich played well and played to their strengths and we played poor

was actually denilson who gave the ball away

You say how old fashioned English footy is stopping English players from developing & bad for the national team, England didn't do too bad with it before, infact they were better off, they won the WC with that style in 1966!

No offense, but considering you guys invented the sport, one world cup win when you hosted it isn't all that impressive. Anyways, the modern game is completely different, as player development is in this era.

Globally, the game has changes a lot, and it's fair to say that we English haven't adapted to European and Worldwide football. It shouldn't always be detrimental though (as shown by Ipswich beating Arsenal). The influx of foreigners can be put down to a desire to watch attacking, flair football. As I said, I think I'm in the minority when I say I enjoy the scrappy side of our game

I think the influx of foreigners has a lot more to do with the amount of money that poured into the league after the Bosman ruling (especially foreign money) and the desire for these owners to win games, not necessarily play attractive football (look at Chelsea), and the foreigners that came didn't seem to be the flair types that would go play in La Liga...not to stereotype but they're usually athletic Africans and Europeans who would fit the English style of play well. Sometimes the owners would bring in slower, more technically gifted players but often times they couldn't fit in well to the style of play. A perfect example would be Veron, who is actually a legend but is only effective in a slower paced game. That's why most of the Latin players with flair and creativity went/go to La Liga.

You can't really expect a team 19th in the championship to play pretty football. We needed a win, and we got it. There is no one way to play football.

Don't know why Arsenal fans are getting stick, most comments I've seen from arsenal fans have said ipswich deserved it. We don't all agree with Fabregas?

Last edited:
Clearly Fabregas has never seen a rugby game then... In rugby you can't kick the ball to a team-mate in front of you, so I really don't understand what his point is.
Err, yes you can?

EDIT: Nevermind I see what you're getting at.

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

I don't mean to enrage Arsenal supporters by saying this.. but for me this shows why Arsenal haven't been winning trophies. They lose a game in the first leg.. surely then they should find motivation to really make sure they win in the second rather than insult and criticise the opponents. Also against Leeds, when they were losing 1-0.. they all looked miserable and really annoyed rather than looking to fight back into the game. For a winning mentality they should surely be trying to act positively by amending their mistakes rather than trying to find excuses.
Not to be agressive but, that's bullshit. After we went one down, were very very motivated, we kept going at leeds and hence we got a goal. They didn't all look miserable. Even when we got the goal, we still pounded the Leeds box trying to get the winner.

---------- Post added at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

After actually reading the article (which I'm sure less than half of you did) all he just states facts and he does actually give them credit here and I quote ""Credit to them because they played well".

All he's saying is we tried to play football (obviously by this he means good passing football) and they didn't, which is true, no? Basically, he's doing damage limitation to the fans, trying to fulfil his role as the captain. He doesn't ever say "rugby tactics" the guardian have made him sound much worse by making that the headline, he purely describes the kick as EITHER a long ball or a rugby KICK. By rugby kick I'm guessing he means more of a blind kick upfield than a targetted long ball.

So yeah, please read the article before you make comments because headlines almost never encapsulate what the article is really about. Headlines are used for shock factor to make you read the article, not for you to base your opinions around them.

Arsenal Need to accept that other teams from Lower down are very rarely going to play the same football as you as often enough, they can't.

Deal with it, Get a Plan B and move the **** on.

Arsenal Need to accept that other teams from Lower down are very rarely going to play the same football as you as often enough, they can't.

All for constructive criticism but 'move the **** on.' ?

Stop being so bitter towards Arsenal, Yes were rivals, I'm not to keen on Spurs myself but you don't see me on every spurs thread being bitter.

All for constructive criticism but 'move the **** on.' ?

Stop being so bitter towards Arsenal, Yes were rivals, I'm not to keen on Spurs myself but you don't see me on every spurs thread being bitter.

I'm hardly being bitter tbf.

What I'm saying is that whenever Arsenal lose a game the same fluff always comes out about how the team nullified them, and didnt try to play good football. It gets very reppetitive and annoying.

It happens to all the other top teams, but we dont tend to moan about it tbh. Most teams will go to an Arsenal and shut up shop as if they tried to play your game they would get beat, so they dont, they play to their strengths as you do.

Clearly one of the people that haven't read the article, or you're just trolling.

FML.

That was in response to your post.
I'm actually confused... just because you replied to my post doesn't mean you've read the article...

Do you mean that after you saw my post you went and read the article? If you mean that then you're just trolling, or mentally challenged. We have obviously accepted the loss, Cesc is not moaning like the headline makes it sound. So your point is moot.

Last edited:
I'm hardly being bitter tbf.

What I'm saying is that whenever Arsenal lose a game the same fluff always comes out about how the team nullified them, and didnt try to play good football. It gets very reppetitive and annoying.

It happens to all the other top teams, but we dont tend to moan about it tbh. Most teams will go to an Arsenal and shut up shop as if they tried to play your game they would get beat, so they dont, they play to their strengths as you do.

See your putting all arsenal fans under the same umbrella? I've seen hardly any 'fluff' about Ipswich, Most of us have said yeah they deserved it.

See your putting all arsenal fans under the same umbrella? I've seen hardly any 'fluff' about Ipswich, Most of us have said yeah they deserved it.

When I said Arsenal, I meant the actuall players and the Manager, not the fans.

The majority of fans I have spoken to have accepted that Ipswich deserved the win.

:wub:

Last edited:
When I said Arsenal, I meant the actuall players and the Manager, not the fans.

The majority of fans I have spoken to have accepted that Ipswich deserved the win.

:wub:

I dont think are players complain alot, but wenger normally comes out with the classic 'I didnt see it' every know and again, but cesc said they deserved the win, but also commented on their style of play which he thought resembled rugby, which to be fair all they did was long ball so hes got a point.

I dont think are players complain alot, but wenger normally comes out with the classic 'I didnt see it' every know and again, but cesc said they deserved the win, but also commented on their style of play which he thought resembled rugby, which to be fair all they did was long ball so hes got a point.

Yes, althought Cesc is right about there style of play, I don't think he has the right to criticize it as they obviously can't play to a standard of football that you can, so they simply have to utilize your weaknesses to stand a chance of winning.

I realise i'm not getting my point across here, so thats all from me :wub:

Yes, althought Cesc is right about there style of play, I don't think he has the right to criticize it as they obviously can't play to a standard of football that you can, so they simply have to utilize your weaknesses to stand a chance of winning.

I think they did utilize are weaknesses but that was tottaly dependent on keeping us from scoring for the first half and maybe a bit of the second. After that and still at 0-0 we got frustrated and started commiting more players forward and thats when the long ball really did become effective.

He's not critising it though. He said they played well.

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 AM ----------

Lol at the fact he called you a troll!

Someone needs to look in the mirror
Learn to read. My post is not the article I was refering to.

To be fair he does say "In England, a lot of teams play like that and it works for them, they create chances like that and it is their football. We just have to put the ball on the floor and try to play football. Credit to them because they played well" but the the rest of the stuff he says makes him sound like a ****.