Ferguson attacks 'kamikaze' buys

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 107
  • Views Views 6K
Fergie's argument is that clubs are spending crazy money that they can't actually afford without their sugar daddy's or loans off the Spanish government (Madrid). Hence its 'kamikaze' - if the sugar daddies leave the clubs can't afford their own wage bills and stand on the brink of ruin. When Fergie spent big (Ruud, Stam, Veron etc) its because he could afford to

This is coming from a manager who spent £30m on Berbatov, £29m on Ferdinand, £28m on Veron and £27m for Rooney to name a few examples. Seems like a bit of double standards to me.

The Real difference is, Fergie spent that over 6ish seasons, Whilst Madrid and City has spent this much in 8 weeks. There is a complete difference.

That's besides the point, I'm saying he can't accuse people of this if he is [not as bad, but still spemds OTT] mainly on unknown players.

Ronaldo was fairly well known, I thought, anyway. Vidic and Evra, I didn't hear much about them. As said, this isn't my angle.

So he spends 24million on 3 players, City for instance spends it on Yaya Toure, and Fergie the bad guy? Not taking in to account wages, i think Yaya earns more in 3 months then them 3 do together in a year, so he is hardly being a hypocrite

Ronaldo was unknown and how many people had heard of Vidic or Evra before they joined?

Ronaldo was the brightest prospect in Portugal at that time, hardly 'unknown'. Evra was a good player if I remember correctly, but I never expected him to be the left back he is today.

Vidic is the only one you've mentioned where I don't think anyone knew much about.

Ronaldo was unknown and how many people had heard of Vidic or Evra before they joined?

Ronaldo was hardly unknown. He was at Melwood training with the Liverpool squad but his personal demands were excessively high for a player of his age within the Liverpool pay structure at that time. A couple of months later, Manchester United met those demands. Evra was very well known by anyone who'd watched European football. Vidic was in negotiations with Liverpool over wages when Manchester United came in with better personal terms than Liverpool were willing to match.

Manchester United do not find these waifs and strays from around the world for buttons and then magically transform them into top class players, any more than Arsenal do, any more than Liverpool do. You pay top money for the best you can afford. It's just that these days, you're not able to afford quite as much as before.

Last edited:
Oh come on,
Fergie spent that over six years,
Sometimes he does talk pish with jelousy and he isn't a great loser but come on ...
When A semi-decent player like Yaya Toure is on £240,000 A WEEK, there is definetely something a miss.
Chelsea bought they to the title and Man City will buy their way to the title but Man utd and Arsenal won it without spending an average of £1,000,000 a day in the summer.
Although I agree with whoever said this is also a hit out at Madrid as well,
but what can I say, money talks

Fergie has used bully boy tactics in the transfer market for years and spent huge amounts on players. He has made his fair share back, but I feel, as many others have said, this rant is probably sour grapes because there are finally teams able to outbid him for the players he wants.

Rooney, England's brightest upcoming star sign is signed for a multi-million pound fee despite being realtively untried. Turns out to be a huge success.

Balotelli, Italy's brightest upcoming star and already an international signs in a multi-million pound deal for City. Could turn out to be a great success.

These transfers are very similar. Yet, Fergie makes sideswipes about one of those deals and not the other, which (surprise, surprise) is the one he pulled off for his own club.

Ronaldo was the brightest prospect in Portugal at that time, hardly 'unknown'. Evra was a good player if I remember correctly, but I never expected him to be the left back he is today.

Vidic is the only one you've mentioned where I don't think anyone knew much about.

When Ronaldo was signed many so-called experts said "Ronaldo-who"? And Evra was hardly a name linked with the top clubs in Europe at the time.

This is besides the point. Fergie is saying that several clubs are spending above their means and so they are

I think he's just a bit frustrated at Madrid beating him for Ozil.

The Real difference is, Fergie spent that over 6ish seasons, Whilst Madrid and City has spent this much in 8 weeks. There is a complete difference.

In pure cash terms? For sure. But then transfer inflation is ludicrous, as has been wage inflation. In relative terms, what's the difference in breaking the record for a fee paid whether it's £1, £1000 or £50m?

So he spends 24million on 3 players, City for instance spends it on Yaya Toure, and Fergie the bad guy? Not taking in to account wages, i think Yaya earns more in 3 months then them 3 do together in a year, so he is hardly being a hypocrite

City bought a proven European calibre central midfielder for around 25% more than Manchester United paid for an unproven but promising talent from Brazil. Putting it into relative terms, it's not that bad of a deal. The ludicrous numbers are, sadly, part and parcel of the grotesque inflation which accompanied clubs selling their souls to the City and using that money to try and outprice rivals from the market. Before that, money came from Chairmen, and a rich Chairman would go out and buy a Dalglish. Heck, most of Clough's success came from him going out and buying players when he knew the club couldn't afford it XD

Lol Ronaldo was unkown before he went to Man Utd... sure.

In pure cash terms? For sure. But then transfer inflation is ludicrous, as has been wage inflation. In relative terms, what's the difference in breaking the record for a fee paid whether it's £1, £1000 or £50m?

He Broke the record every season or every other season, by signing maybe one player a year. City have signed 3 players fo20+ in 3 weeks, with Milner coming in very soon.
Madrid last year signed broke the World fee twice in 2 weeks, Utd may have signed self generated money over a long period of time, God knows fergie has spent money, But it wasnt all at once like this.

City bought a proven European calibre central midfielder for around 25% more than Manchester United paid for an unproven but promising talent from Brazil. Putting it into relative terms, it's not that bad of a deal. The ludicrous numbers are, sadly, part and parcel of the grotesque inflation which accompanied clubs selling their souls to the City and using that money to try and outprice rivals from the market. Before that, money came from Chairmen, and a rich Chairman would go out and buy a Dalglish. Heck, most of Clough's success came from him going out and buying players when he knew the club couldn't afford it XD

It right, that city have brought a Proven European Calibre player for only 25% of Utd spent on a Promiing brazlian, But this player have 1000% the wages. Costing the club 11million a year in wages.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Fergie has used bully boy tactics in the transfer market for years and spent huge amounts on players. He has made his fair share back, but I feel, as many others have said, this rant is probably sour grapes because there are finally teams able to outbid him for the players he wants.

Rooney, England's brightest upcoming star sign is signed for a multi-million pound fee despite being realtively untried. Turns out to be a huge success.

Balotelli, Italy's brightest upcoming star and already an international signs in a multi-million pound deal for City. Could turn out to be a great success.

These transfers are very similar. Yet, Fergie makes sideswipes about one of those deals and not the other, which (surprise, surprise) is the one he pulled off for his own club.

Rooney Untired, he was the starof Euro 2004 when Utd signed him. I think You just missed the fact of Wages are really a lot higher these days, Ballottelli is also rumoured to be on 180k a week, Higher Then Rooney now.

Fergie's just jelous ... remember HE spent more than everyone... for years lol
Short memory Fergie :)
It must have been around £100 million just for Rooney, Ferdie and Berbitov eh ?

I think he's just a bit frustrated at Madrid beating him for Ozil.

fergie moved to sign bebe cos real were interested....

real sign ozil a few days later when united wanted him, do real need him? no

just seems like we ****** off real into signing ozil...

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Fergie's just jelous ... remember HE spent more than everyone... for years lol
Short memory Fergie :)
It must have been around £100 million just for Rooney, Ferdie and Berbitov eh ?

true but these players were bought 2002, 2004, 2008... not in the space of 6 weeks, and none of them were bought through the owner's deep pockets...

Rooney Untired, he was the starof Euro 2004 when Utd signed him. I think You just missed the fact of Wages are really a lot higher these days, Ballottelli is also rumoured to be on 180k a week, Higher Then Rooney now.

He had two good games against Switzerland and Croatia in Euro 2004 -- that is relatively untried. Of course, his talent was there for all to see and his potential and performances were worth the price as has been proved. I think (come the end of his career) this transfer will be one of the best Fergie has ever pulled off. I'm only using this as an example of two similar transfers.

I haven't overlooked Fergie's point of wages being OTT these days, but I also haven't forgotten that for the last couple of decades, Manchester United have been the trendsetters when it comes to wages and transfer fees in English football.

All I'm saying is that he wasn't moaning when it was him setting the trend.

He didn't set a trend of spending £100m+ season after season or the trend of buying every player he can to stop players moving to potential rivals.

He had two good games against Switzerland and Croatia in Euro 2004 -- that is relatively untried. Of course, his talent was there for all to see and his potential and performances were worth the price as has been proved. I think (come the end of his career) this transfer will be one of the best Fergie has ever pulled off. I'm only using this as an example of two similar transfers.

I haven't overlooked Fergie's point of wages being OTT these days, but I also haven't forgotten that for the last couple of decades, Manchester United have been the trendsetters when it comes to wages and transfer fees in English football.

All I'm saying is that he wasn't moaning when it was him setting the trend.

He had 2 good season at Prem Level Under his belt for Everton.

I think You find Chelsea and Madrid set the tone for wages in this period. Fergie has always spent the Clubs generated money, rather then the owners hands outs.

I think You find Chelsea and Madrid set the tone for wages in this period. Fergie has always spent the Clubs generated money, rather then the owners hands outs.

Chelsea took over from Fergie and he moaned about them too. I'm not debating Fergie's transfers in terms of quality etc... -- I'm just saying he has done a lot of what he's moaning about himself.

I don't understand why people are saying it's due to frustration of losing Ozil. United don't NEED him, from what I've seen in preseason + Chelsea and Newcastle, United have a great chance. Ferguson is talking sense, it is ludicrous that Man City can spend all this money. Imagine teams like Aston Villa. Spurs and Everton who have challenged the "Top 4" with great team spirit and a good charge, not by going in for the best players and giving them obscene wages, also this just really ***** up Manchester City's academy and young player's chances.

Also about Ronaldo, Andy Gray didn't know who he was and we all know that Andy Gray knows everything..

Chelsea took over from Fergie and he moaned about them too. I'm not debating Fergie's transfers in terms of quality etc... -- I'm just saying he has done a lot of what he's moaning about himself.

When was the last time he spent £100m+ in a season? When was the last time he bought a player so his rivals couldn't? He's never bought the big names, he buys players that are best for the team not ones that will sell the most shirts or get the most supporters.

When was the last time he spent £100m+ in a season? When was the last time he bought a player so his rivals couldn't? He's never bought the big names, he buys players that are best for the team not ones that will sell the most shirts or get the most supporters.

He hasn't spent more than 100m in a season, but that's not my point. He has, before others were able, spent loads of money -- that's what I'm saying. I think his closest sum to your figure is when he spent 65m in one transfer window not to long ago.

In the last 15 years, Manchester United have broken the british transfer record three times -- more than any other club in the same period and I'm pretty sure that most of their first team squad are on a little more than 40k a week.

Back