FIFA vs PES (Let's Settle it!)

• Thread starter Thread starter BrutalZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 64
  • Views Views 5K
This isn't an opinion based thread. The idea is to compare the games not to ask which one u like more :p

but people who prefer Fifa are going to say Fifa and people who like PES are going to back PES mate.

in most cases anyways.

@ Irish Scouse, and Gaffer

Though you have said you are for Fifa it would make sense if both of you were to download the pes demo and give me reviews for it. Don't base anything on experience, just on the here and now... Would be much appreciated.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

but people who prefer Fifa are going to say Fifa and people who like PES are going to back PES mate.

That's true, but for the most part I will have to ignore them because I'm not asking for people to comment on which is better...

@ Irish Scouse, and Gaffer

Though you have said you are for Fifa it would make sense if both of you were to download the pes demo and give me reviews for it. Don't base anything on experience, just on the here and now... Would be much appreciated.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

That's true, but for the most part I will have to ignore them because I'm not asking for people to comment on which is better...

but you are because you want people to compare the two. comparing means seeing the pro's and negatives from each game and an overal conclusion would be which game to buy, thats stating which ones better.

yeh but the people are required to test it and he wants to see if any fifa fans decide pes is better and vice versa

I like FIFA.

The reasons for this are:

- They have better grafics, and it looks very realistic.
- They have the Licening to all the team names and things like that.
- FIFA was made before PES, and I can remember coming home from reception, or year 1 playing FIFA 1999,2000,2001. Even back then it was great.
- I love all their features, and I really like the music center thing, so you can listen to your own songs instead of boring ones that come with FIFA.

For the last time, this is not about which game you prefer more or which was better last year (because we all know it was FIFA). This about views on the 2011 demo's for each game. Any more posts like the ones we've already had and I'll start infracting.

i like both although i believe Fifa gets really easy very quickly. I think the Pes gameplay is better but t Fifas graphics is miles ahead. Basicly if the games fusioned together it would be MEGA.

Yeah, I'm downloading both then giving each game a rating out of 5, ie. PES Passing 3 Fifa Passing 4 ect.

i dont think the demos are out yet? anyhow i'll download em both when i can :)

Don't insult FIFA's music! there are some good songs on there, like The Whitest Boy Alive and Metric ones...
but really, Football Manager

Probably PES because they actually put effort into their PC versions. FIFA on PC is pretty poor

Ill test them if you want, but im am a fifa fan and you already have 3 for fifa so it up to you :S

Ah yes, my bad... Do you have Playstation Plus? if not then that would explain a bit...

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Ill test them if you want, but im am a fifa fan and you already have 3 for fifa so it up to you :S

I'll hold you to it, it will depend on how many Pes representatives I get :p

PES 2011 Demo

Passing 10/10: The passing is fantastic, the semi-manual passing is impressive and can really allow you to dictate the tempo and play the games how you want. The normal through balls seem a bit erratic though and seem to have a mind of their own at times, the lofted through balls are very impressive and aren't as lofted as previous games. Anyway forget this whole semi-manual passing, the real gem comes with the entirely manual passing. Hold down L2 and you take complete control with no assistance from the AI. While manual passing has been present in PES for a few years now the control scheme has always made it difficult to execute effectively but now all we have to do is hold L2 and you can start playing some killer balls.

Dribbling 7/10: Dribbling feels good with a lot more freedom, actually feels like 360 control. Players such as Messi & Ribery really show off how good the dribbling is, incredible close control and quick direction changes. But best of all, they aren't unbeatable and it's possible to get the ball off them with a well timed tackle. I haven't had much chance to play around with the new tricks as that's not a part of the game that's ever interested me, but from what I tried it seemed over the top and far to easy.

Shooting 8/10: On the whole shots seem a bit floaty compared to the previous iterations. But on the whole it's still pretty impressive (Although I preferred last years), scored some fantastic goals already. The placed shots have been improved from last year as well, they're a bit too accurate in the hands of good players though.

Defending 7/10: There's a new defending system for this year which makes pressuring the opposition more strategic instead of simply running at them and mashing the pressure button in the hope of winning the ball back. The system works pretty well, takes a bit of getting used to and even after about 30 matches I'm still falling into old tackling habits. A huge plus though is that the sliding tackles actually seem pretty darn useful for the first time in years thanks to the new animations. Only major problem is the amount of soft fouls that are given, this is probably more to do with teething problems with the new animations and collision detection rather than the tackles themselves.

Conclusion:
While it all sounds rather impressive if you base it on the four criteria above it doesn't give you the whole picture. The game certainly has a lot of small negatives which can sour the experience. Goalkeepers are still a big problem (Why as nobody perfected them yet?), they can make some incredible saves but too often they fumble soft shots right into the paths of oncoming attackers. Goalkeeper distribution (including goal kicks) hasn't changed from 2010 either and really slows down the game.

Throw-ins may of added the power bar but even that makes barely any difference, they're still slow and laboured and require a lengthy animation for any throw-ins that you want to go more than 5 yards. As well as the throw-ins and goal-kicks, the penalty system and free kicks haven't changed much either and still feel awkward and wasteful.

I mentioned earlier about the number of free-kicks but that isn't my main problem with the referees. They still struggle with the advantage rule, while I have seen advantage given a few times it still appears as if wild tackles on players who have just passed the ball go unpunished.

There are also a few positives, the game looks great with the new animations to go with the graphics they updated last year, the new broadcast camera angle gives the game a new dynamic look, and then there's the impressive tactical system with the addition of the automatic criteria based tactical changes it really allows you to set your team up to play exactly how you want.

So would I recommend it to PES Fans? Yes. Is it good enough to take people away from FIFA? Probably not.

Demo Rating: 7.5/10

Maybe slightly off topic, but has the PES 2011 demo been released to the general public for PC? Looking at the review Lee posted I'd assume so, but I can't find anywhere to download it. If anyone could post a link it'd be much appreciated! I'll help by posting my own reviews of the demo, but don't include me in your testing as I think I'll only buy one game.

Demo isn't out until the 15th and you'll be able to get it from here.

Currently Playing Both Demos, hang tight for the results...

Thanks for the info on PES Lee, I'll put it up now...

Last edited:
I have always been a PES man, however if FIFA get the Be Pro right (they have integrated it into the main career mode) I can be swayed.
The gameplay as gotten closer in quality over the years.

just played the pes demo i dont like it the passing is bad allso it dosen't feel like am in control of the players like fifa
the refs are bad aswell
for me its fifa this year

Back