Status
Not open for further replies.
not improbably to be honest. fa cup arsenal 0-0 united, despite the fact we literally shelled their goal for 90 minutes.

Literally? My word, I didn't know Ferguson had resorted to heavy artillery in order to win matches. :p

Literally? My word, I didn't know Ferguson had resorted to heavy artillery in order to win matches. :p
didn't win - i think Mike was reffering to 2005 FA cup final - most one sided 0-0 you'll ever see and arsenal won on pens

if that game had gone the way of United then Wenger would have won nothing since the unbeatable season

Why is FM11 being dificult a bad thing?

I've never once heard a professional managing in the real world say that his job is easy so personally applaud SI for getting the game bang on in this regard.

You say the game is all about stats. Yes and No.
While having players with decent stats is a key factor in how your season plays out, having the RIGHT players is far more important. A team of rejects who all fit into a working system, 9 time out of 10 (in my experience) will beat a group of world class players with completely contrasting styles of play.

I have invested 150-200 hours myself, and while alot of it has been far from fun (sometimes bring me to the verge of tears) that sense of satisfaction of lifting a trophy you worked hard for is what Football Manager is all about!

I have been playing FM since it all started with the Amiga computer and when it was called by its original name Championship manger. I have enjoyed all previous versions through the updates/patch's. When I lost a game I would work it out and see why I lost and improve my tactics and player positions and over time my team would get better. Not so this version, my team dominates shots/on target, possession of the ball to the point that it gets a bit silly. If my team is dominating and still losing what do I do ? This game is about stats so I my thinking is that my players are not good enough but is not the case where my striker has some very good stats for his position he just cant score but the oppo striker is so poor he would not get in my reserves but boy can he finish. 1 shot 1 goal and it has happened so many times at all different levels and leagues around the world. I feel this version cheats you out of certain games and there is nothing you can do about it. Scripted yes I am sure of it. There will be many fan boys out there who disagree with me I am sure but I have put in just over 150 hours already in this version.

As stated I knew fanboys would start to cry. Please read what I have stated. If I cant rely on the feed back from my match stats and players ratings after each game what is the point of have said stats.
I have never tried other peoples tactics before 2011 but I thought maybe they knew something I don't so I tried some. The results where pretty much the same, dominating games but still poor results.

Lost track of how many times I have said this.

There is no real life statistic for clear cut chance, the stats you see in game are the games way of documenting chances, but its not necesarily a sitter or even a 1 v 1.

As for the 3d match engine, thats only a graphical representation of what the game is processing at that time, and it's far from perfect. Just because it appears a striker is totally clean through, it doesnt mean he is, and he could be put off the shot due a number of variables: He could be off balance, under pressure from a defender, on his weaker foot etc etc. The 3d match engine doesnt always show this because its just a graphical REPRESENTATION of the processes going on in the background. Until the 2d and 3d match engines were introduced, there were never any complaints about missing 1v1 and CCC.

Then there are player stats to consider. Firstly the hidden stats only visible in the editor play a significant role. And high finishing and composure aren't the only stats to consider either. A player needs to have high technique, decisions, balance, concentration, and determination as well.

^^ As you can see I've posted on this subject before...

You say you analyse the stats, but you only talk about shots and target and missed 1v1's really, and then go on to moan about the number of eqaully easy chances that the AI puts away with aplomb.

Can i say I've rarely experienced this, sure every so often an average AI striker will have a stormer and my 20 million pound man will have a shocker (just like real life) but to say it's scripted is ridiculous.

In fact you say the game never used to be like this. Well until some of the later CM games, the game WAS actually scripted. The results were pre determined before kick off based on a calculation of stats, weather, form, and other variables. Once the game kicked off you were unable to influence the final result through substitutions or tactical changes. This has now changed, tactical changes substitutions, injuries, refereeing decisions etc etc all now have a dynamic effect during a match, so the game is now less scripted than ever before...

So many people are quick to blame the game rather than look at themselves.

You say you domiante the shots on target statistics, but have you considered the types of shot your players are taking? My Nan could take 100 shots and get 100 on target under the correct circumstances, but I'll bet my house she'll never score.

My advise to those who beleive that the game is rigged due to this 1v1 'problem' is to adapt the way they set up their teams.

There are many things to try:

1. Some people have found success by increasing the time wasting slider, not the intended use for it, but players seem to take more time over their 1v1 rather than blasting it straight at the keeper.

2. Tactical shouts like 'work ball into the box' help to reduce the sort of park football end to end breakaways that result in missed 1v1's

3. Try a slower tempo, with shorter passing, a patient build up with the ultimate goal of creating the type of chance that requires your striker to finish instinctively, rather than running on goal for a 1v1 where he has a lot of time to think about his shot and fluff it.

4. Try some PPM's, if the player is good enough you can asking him to lob the keeper. Other useful ones are go round the keeper, and place shots into corner of net.

5. Try using traditional wingers, get some crosses into the box and finish of some chances that way, rather than relying on 1v1's. And that doesn't mean headers either, Used correctly, wingers can create all sorts of different chances for your striker and themselves.

6. Take less long shots, i sense that you are probably taking too many meaningless long shots, which is distorting your shots on target statistics. Remember that telling a player to take long shots rarely doesn't mean he will. If his creative freedom slider is high he will ignore your instructions. Creative freedom is best used sparingly, and allowed to be high for only one or two players within the team.

There are many other things to try, but its 530am and my brain is fried.

Last edited:
This is definitely not the worst game. It's a good challenge and gets you thinking

Although I will admit that I fear the game could become stale over the next couple of years as they have added so much to it so you really need to ask yourself how much more can they possibly add to a game when they have less than a year to develop it. I'd even go as far as suggesting that they take a year off from releasing a new game and just release a patch that can be bought to update the current version, that way they can have 2 years to develop a game that can potentially be the best in terms of features and a lack of bugs. It's kind of the same scenario that games like PES and FIFA are in and I know alot of people are getting fed up with having to pay £40 each year for a game that has very little improvement from the previous year and alot more bugs

personally fm 2008 was my favourite,but all the others have still been mint

^^ As you can see I've posted on this subject before...

You say you analyse the stats, but you only talk about shots and target and missed 1v1's really, and then go on to moan about the number of eqaully easy chances that the AI puts away with aplomb.

Can i say I've rarely experienced this, sure every so often an average AI striker will have a stormer and my 20 million pound man will have a shocker (just like real life) but to say it's scripted is ridiculous.

In fact you say the game never used to be like this. Well until some of the later CM games, the game WAS actually scripted. The results were pre determined before kick off based on a calculation of stats, weather, form, and other variables. Once the game kicked off you were unable to influence the final result through substitutions or tactical changes. This has now changed, tactical changes substitutions, injuries, refereeing decisions etc etc all now have a dynamic effect during a match, so the game is now less scripted than ever before...

So many people are quick to blame the game rather than look at themselves.

You say you domiante the shots on target statistics, but have you considered the types of shot your players are taking? My Nan could take 100 shots and get 100 on target under the correct circumstances, but I'll bet my house she'll never score.

My advise to those who beleive that the game is rigged due to this 1v1 'problem' is to adapt the way they set up their teams.

There are many things to try:

1. Some people have found success by increasing the time wasting slider, not the intended use for it, but players seem to take more time over their 1v1 rather than blasting it straight at the keeper.

2. Tactical shouts like 'work ball into the box' help to reduce the sort of park football end to end breakaways that result in missed 1v1's

3. Try a slower tempo, with shorter passing, a patient build up with the ultimate goal of creating the type of chance that requires your striker to finish instinctively, rather than running on goal for a 1v1 where he has a lot of time to think about his shot and fluff it.

4. Try some PPM's, if the player is good enough you can asking him to lob the keeper. Other useful ones are go round the keeper, and place shots into corner of net.

5. Try using traditional wingers, get some crosses into the box and finish of some chances that way, rather than relying on 1v1's. And that doesn't mean headers either, Used correctly, wingers can create all sorts of different chances for your striker and themselves.

6. Take less long shots, i sense that you are probably taking too many meaningless long shots, which is distorting your shots on target statistics. Remember that telling a player to take long shots rarely doesn't mean he will. If his creative freedom slider is high he will ignore your instructions. Creative freedom is best used sparingly, and allowed to be high for only one or two players within the team.

There are many other things to try, but its 530am and my brain is fried.
You assume so much to suit your own arguments just like the rest of these fan boys. The long shots within FM games are a real pain when it comes to long shots, far to many which ever settings you choose. I did not or want tactic advise i would have used the tactics forum.. We can all pick a real game where the results are lucky for one side this happens and within the game I would expect it to happen as well but not as often as it does. SI have admitted the pre-set tactics are pretty much useless so if you want to play the game you need to come up with your own tactic if you want to win anything. I make my own tactics and will still do but its a lot harder when you cant trust the stats which the game is all about.

I think It's the most realistic by far, with the in depth tactics, player conversations, private chats. They managed to get rid of all the ****** corner bugs, which is a bonus.

I'm finding myself wanting to play if more due to how hard it has become, It's no longer just a walk in the park, you've got to pay full attention to what's going on with the team you're managing, or it can all go down the pan.

So, I'd say this is the best FM so far, but in my eyes they always do one better each year.

The game will become a lot more interesting if story's get brought back onto this site, and some more challenges that people can get stuck into.

You assume so much to suit your own arguments just like the rest of these fan boys. The long shots within FM games are a real pain when it comes to long shots, far to many which ever settings you choose. I did not or want tactic advise i would have used the tactics forum.. We can all pick a real game where the results are lucky for one side this happens and within the game I would expect it to happen as well but not as often as it does. SI have admitted the pre-set tactics are pretty much useless so if you want to play the game you need to come up with your own tactic if you want to win anything. I make my own tactics and will still do but its a lot harder when you cant trust the stats which the game is all about.
So because some people actually like the game, thus having a different opinion than you, means they are fan boys? Brilliant argument... :S

That is not really supporting your argument that this is the worst CM/FM. If people like it, and many do ('fan boys' as you call them), then I can't be nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

Last edited:
I have been playing FM since it all started with the Amiga computer and when it was called by its original name Championship manger. I have enjoyed all previous versions through the updates/patch's. When I lost a game I would work it out and see why I lost and improve my tactics and player positions and over time my team would get better. Not so this version, my team dominates shots/on target, possession of the ball to the point that it gets a bit silly. If my team is dominating and still losing what do I do ? This game is about stats so I my thinking is that my players are not good enough but is not the case where my striker has some very good stats for his position he just cant score but the oppo striker is so poor he would not get in my reserves but boy can he finish. 1 shot 1 goal and it has happened so many times at all different levels and leagues around the world. I feel this version cheats you out of certain games and there is nothing you can do about it. Scripted yes I am sure of it. There will be many fan boys out there who disagree with me I am sure but I have put in just over 150 hours already in this version.

As stated I knew fanboys would start to cry. Please read what I have stated. If I cant rely on the feed back from my match stats and players ratings after each game what is the point of have said stats.
I have never tried other peoples tactics before 2011 but I thought maybe they knew something I don't so I tried some. The results where pretty much the same, dominating games but still poor results.

Boo Hoo, your just **** and your having a tantrum. Dominating matches and losing CAN happen knobby. Check the stats for last nights game Man citeh vrs everton....

Anyway, since when does playing CM back in the day constitute you having the ability to make a more respected opinion?

Pointless thread, why have we given it our time when he doesn't provide constructive criticism.

To be fair its still the player that decides what hes doing in game, and theres hundreds of things that will affect his decision making. E.g distance from goal, clear line of sight, closeness of defenders. Thats all without taking into account PPMs, personality traits and his overall attributes.

If you want a player to do every kick you want, buy Fifa 11 and play manager mode and controll the team :S

I agree with the OP that this game of FM 2011 is disappointing, however not for his reasons.

1) Its not too hard, I have played games with Everton, Basingastoke and Aston Villa and had similar success that I normally have on older versions

2) The 3D match engine never bothers me, I never use it because I know its retarded, I use only commentary and 2D match when I focusing more during poor form patches.

i'm annoyed with this one because I think the new features have not added anything, and are just a hindernace. Things like

1) Player conversations are still retarded, most the time players get really upset over nothing, like they have PMT. the options you have are VERY limited meaning your responses are pretty much to cave in to what the player wants, or say I'm the manager **** off.
For example I drop a player to the reserves because he needs match fitness, he goes apeshit and in conversations I cannot say hes only their to gain match fitness.
Also its annoying on conversations you do reslove you keep having to have the same ******* conversation every other month that ends the same way to keep the player happy.

2) Press Conferences - No different to 2009, and I thought they were a gimmick then but there still here and only slightly improved.
It does affect morale but no drastically, and they are again repetitive as you always get asked the same questions.
Making the conferences far less frequent, or putting millions of different questions in, or stopping them all together will sort this
First thing I do on my FM save is make my assistant deal with Press Conferences.

And people stop defending the game for the sake of it, its not terrible but its been very frustrating the lack of progress, making me feel like were just playing EA sports games

i think this edition has lots of bugs from wht ive seen in these and other forums crash dumps etc but for me personaly ive had no problems with anything like tht,worse thing tht happened to me was when i installed lastest patch and me custom skin wouldnt show up but i soon fixed tht.

game play is much the same as last yrs version but the improvements to the 3D match view is ace,i agree it sometimes feels like the game is against you and your perform bad no matter wht but ussualy it can be down to something simple as 1 playa not being happy and it affecting the whole team which has a knock on effect to match day performance,its a matter of finding the right balance and if you put the effort in ull get the rewards.

only thing im not a fan off is the playa interaction which can be a bit tricky sometimes also having to talk to the press after and b4 each match but its a sim and its wht managers do in real life,but at the moment i let me *** man handle tht side a things ,as long as he has good motivation skills then i find it easy for him to do it.

so my answer would be is no this is far from being the worse Fm to date and agree with others tht CM4 is miles ahead on tht score for being the worse

You assume so much to suit your own arguments just like the rest of these fan boys.

If you want to be taken seriously, you really should stop calling us all "fan boys". You're on a ****** football manager website, of course we're going to be fans. However, "fan boys" has a much more negative connotation, one of immaturity and blind faith. Very few here are like that. We acknowledge the faults within the game just as much as we defend it. I'll happily admit there are quite a few faults still inherent within the match engine, just as I will say that this is still the best CM/FM to date.

We can all pick a real game where the results are lucky for one side this happens and within the game I would expect it to happen as well but not as often as it does.

Have you considered you might just be rubbish? Honestly wouldn't put it past you.

SI have admitted the pre-set tactics are pretty much useless so if you want to play the game you need to come up with your own tactic if you want to win anything.

Er... where did they admit that? Whilst I agree that pre-set tactics aren't going to be as useful as one you made yourself, it's because they're stock tactics. They're just a framework for you to base your team around and tweak. If you just use a pre-set tactic and expect it to work, you're asking for trouble.

I make my own tactics and will still do but its a lot harder when you cant trust the stats which the game is all about.

You can trust the stats, IMO. There are anomalies, of course there are, but they're just outliers so you ignore them, just like with any set of data.

Now i get it, this isnt a discussion, its a moan thread from someone who thrown their toys out and doesnt realise they are not as good as think. Grow up OP

bug wise its been by far the worst. most people got thiers for free though, so they cant complain really.

bug wise its been by far the worst. most people got thiers for free though, so they cant complain really.
That is not really true. People just have short memories ;)

IMO FM10 was worse than FM11 at release. Got crash dumps? :mad:

personally speakin i had no prob with fm 10. should of kept at it lookin back. from day 1 theres bein probs with this. never got a crash dump ever since playin any fm version.

There are 3 of us at work playing FM11. One is them is a guy who doesn't really like football (why is he playing this game, who knows, odd I agree) and he doesn't bother much with tinkering with tactics or training much, and has won the quadruple with Spurs in his first season, going the whole season unbeaten. Now us other 2 chaps have obviously accused him of cheating and replaying matches, which he denies strenously. Luck? Or accidental discovery of good tactics? Lets put it this way the game doesn't seem to be "picking" on him.

I've done better on this version than any of the others. It's the best management game, bar Total Club Manager 2004, I've ever played.

Status
Not open for further replies.