FM Base EPL Fantasy Football League

Reaction score
FM-Base Fantasy football league, its on the official EPL FF game. Invite extends to all base forumites new and old, banter is encouraged but keep it friendly and no saltiness please either!

Feel free to use this thread for all FF related stuff, be it showing off your team, discussing transfers and substitution strategies or just to get help with picking a team. Even if you're a total noob feel free to join the game more the merrier!

Web Address of the game

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

Mini league code

My team is just a scratch team I made really quickly just to get the league started and start getting stuff organised. Unlimited transfer till the day the seasons starts so you don't have to get it right first time.

Members Teams

Dale's Dodo's - Epic Terrorist
Telstar Telstar - Telstar
Curtis Cowboys - Theatreof Dreams
Hakuna Juan Mata - Subtle
Goal Diggers - Jak
Buldooser 2.0 - Bujakaa
SteveRobbo - Fc Twente Bensons
Tyton - Ogorki Zdzislawa
ninjaskill - hijodeputa

Last edited:
Already committed to a Sky league and 3 US leagues so let me think about adding more time to my weekend. Lol.

Already committed to a Sky league and 3 US leagues so let me think about adding more time to my weekend. Lol.

I'm at work now till 3pm tomorrow so I have done it all on my phone i will tidy up the thread on my computer tomorrow and post some pics etc.

Last edited:
Few things, the link in the OP now works, I have now sorted my team and it looks like something close to what i will pick depending on transfers and my analysis of the fixtures (pool have it tough so may omit COutinho till transfer window).

As you can see I have gone for a "pound shop defence", and then made it a back 3 to limit the points loss.

View attachment 242107

Count me in.
I always join the FMBase league and went close in the Premium member league once (think I was 2nd?).
I won last season in my local bar and got a huge bucket of iced beers (enough for me and a mate for an afternoon) and two tickets to the Guinness Store house (more beer) :)

Have fun.

Count me in.
I always join the FMBase league and went close in the Premium member league once (think I was 2nd?).
I won last season in my local bar and got a huge bucket of iced beers (enough for me and a mate for an afternoon) and two tickets to the Guinness Store house (more beer) :)

Have fun.

good to to hear it man!

I barely remember to ever look at my dream teams let alone do transfers haha. Good luck with it though mate, sure you'll get plenty soon!

(on a slightly different note, does anyone remember the old Goal.com one, where all you had to do was pick players that you thought would score a lot. That was so simple but really good. Stopped doing it years ago for some reason. Yes I know their site is plop ;) )

The more the better. Epic needs to keep bumping this! :p

I am going to try and put a player profile up each day to keep the thread active etc, will be all my own work nothing pinched just a few paragraphs. Just so I am not bumping for sake of bumping might also start off discussion which will bump the thread organically

Firmino Fantasy Football Player Profile

View attachment 240252

Roberto Firmino
Midfielder £8.5m​

Roberto Firmino has everything that you would expect from a Brazilian number 10, pace, can pick a pass, has an eye for goal, has a trick and has great first touch. He was a hefty outlay for Liverpool and apart from Benteke their most costly acquisition. Liverpool are expected to scrap 3 at the back this season and with Sturridge out for a lengthy spell you would imagine that Liverpool will be looking at him and Benteke to fire the goals and with a goal return of around 1 in every 3 he could be a nice addition to any midfield and at £8.5 million he ranks in the top 20 price wise of the midfielders available to you. But just how much bang for your buck are you getting?

Tactics

Now first off it looks like Liverpool are scrapping the 3 at the back this season (thank god) and look like adopting 4-2-3-1/4-1-4-1 from what I have read about their pre-season tour and also media reports, Positionally Firmino can play up top or anywhere in the 3 behind. The formation change is great news for people with Firmino he likes to play in the 10 and especially for Brazil were they have a lack of a mobile striker he looks to get beyond the number 9 into the box and on the end of chances, he has scored a few from inside the 6 yard box. Additionally Benteke is not the most mobile of strikers so Firmino will have chance to get beyond him and score a few. Firmino is also a provider and got himself 10 assists last season for Hoffenheim, and you would imagine if he is going to play in the middle of the 3 then he will also bag a few assists as.

Attributes

Two things that stand out for me having watched this guy play a few times is he has an underrated heading ability, Firmino is fairly tall coming in at over 6 foot (181cm) although Liverpool don't cross much with the acquisition of Benteke and also Firmino this could hint at a possible tactical change from Rodgers as we all know Coutinho can whip some great balls in when he is in form.

Another thing that really stood out for me when looking at goals Firmino scored for Brazil and Hoffenheim is that he seems to like to use his first touch to beat a man, this stands out to me as an important attribute in the premier league as the game is played at such a pace that if you beat one man you can beat the full defence (defending is also an art on the wane :( ).

To wrap up the attributes, he also has a trick in him as you would expect from most Brazilians and seems to have excellent close control and is also no slouch when it comes to pace. His control and first touch will also serve him well if he plays out wide as he can also play on either flank and we all know Rodgers like to interchange.

Final Thoughts

The bottom line I suppose is, is Firmino worth banging in your team? IMO is definitely one to consider he is classed as a midfielder in game but will be playing in a more advanced role just off the striker and there will be times in the season when Rodgers will no doubt use him as a striker, Given Sturridge's injury record and that Benteke will no doubt get injured at some point in the season he will no doubt find himself up top. Firmino has all the attributes to be a big hit for Liverpool, what goes against him for me is that Liverpool do not have the easiest of fixtures to start with. But he is still on my list and may find his way into my first 11 come opening day if not I will no doubt be using a transfer to get him!

Last edited:

Roberto Firmino has everything that you would expect from a Brazilian number 10, pace, can pick a pass, has an eye for goal, has a trick and has great first touch. He was a hefty outlay for Liverpool and apart from Benteke their most costly acquisition. Liverpool are expected to scrap 3 at the back this season and with Sturridge out for a lengthy spell you would imagine that Liverpool will be looking at him and Benteke to fire the goals and with a goal return of around 1 in every 3 he could be a nice addition to any midfield and at £8.5 million he ranks in the top 20 price wise of the midfielders available to you. But just how much bang for your buck are you getting?

Tactics

Now first off it looks like Liverpool are scrapping the 3 at the back this season (thank god) and look like adopting 4-2-3-1/4-1-4-1 from what I have read about their pre-season tour and also media reports, Positionally Firmino can play up top or anywhere in the 3 behind. The formation change is great news for people with Firmino he likes to play in the 10 and especially for Brazil were they have a lack of a mobile striker he looks to get beyond the number 9 into the box and on the end of chances, he has scored a few from inside the 6 yard box. Additionally Benteke is not the most mobile of strikers so Firmino will have chance to get beyond him and score a few. Firmino is also a provider and got himself 10 assists last season for Hoffenheim, and you would imagine if he is going to play in the middle of the 3 then he will also bag a few assists as.

Attributes

Two things that stand out for me having watched this guy play a few times is he has an underrated heading ability, Firmino is fairly tall coming in at over 6 foot (181cm) although Liverpool don't cross much with the acquisition of Benteke and also Firmino this could hint at a possible tactical change from Rodgers as we all know Coutinho can whip some great balls in when he is in form.

Another thing that really stood out for me when looking at goals Firmino scored for Brazil and Hoffenheim is that he seems to like to use his first touch to beat a man, this stands out to me as an important attribute in the premier league as the game is played at such a pace that if you beat one man you can beat the full defence (defending is also an art on the wane :( ).

To wrap up the attributes, he also has a trick in him as you would expect from most Brazilians and seems to have excellent close control and is also no slouch when it comes to pace. His control and first touch will also serve him well if he plays out wide as he can also play on either flank and we all know Rodgers like to interchange.

Final Thoughts

The bottom line I suppose is, is Firmino worth banging in your team? IMO is definitely one to consider he is classed as a midfielder in game but will be playing in a more advanced role just off the striker and there will be times in the season when Rodgers will no doubt use him as a striker, Given Sturridge's injury record and that Benteke will no doubt get injured at some point in the season he will no doubt find himself up top. Firmino has all the attributes to be a big hit for Liverpool, what goes against him for me is that Liverpool do not have the easiest of fixtures to start with. But he is still on my list and may find his way into my first 11 come opening day if not I will no doubt be using a transfer to get him!
I expect him to start. But not sure how he will adapt to the Prem off the bat. Also im not convinced by Pools signings and if there gonna be creating a shed load or scoring a lot of goals. If that changes will defo have a look. Whats his price BTW?

I expect him to start. But not sure how he will adapt to the Prem off the bat. Also im not convinced by Pools signings and if there gonna be creating a shed load or scoring a lot of goals. If that changes will defo have a look. Whats his price BTW?

8.5 gunna edit now and put it at top, I like him tbf but will do more players this was just the first of many was gunna do Depay but thought he was too obvious Subtle suggested Firmino so went for it

8.5 gunna edit now and put it at top, I like him tbf but will do more players this was just the first of many was gunna do Depay but thought he was too obvious Subtle suggested Firmino so went for it
Good choice mate tbh. Better to throw in the new signings as we pretty much know about the regs who have been in the league a few years.

Good choice mate tbh. Better to throw in the new signings as we pretty much know about the regs who have been in the league a few years.

will be someone else later tonight/or tomorrow possibly Andre Ayew but need to have a think about it, planning on doing a bargain basement special too

will be someone else later tonight/or tomorrow possibly Andre Ayew but need to have a think about it, planning on doing a bargain basement special too

Ive been looking at Aarons from Newcastle. Been pretty good in pre-season so ive heard. Just whether or not he'll start games.