FM Base EPL Fantasy Football League

Yeah, Clyne might actually be a L'pool defender worth taking this year given his attacking prowess. He's been developing a real good understanding down the right with Ibe pre-season. Who is another to really consider now he'll become an integral piece.

True, he's the only defender I'd pick from Liverpool. However the one player in my team I'm looking forward to watching is Jordy Clasie and I think he could turn out to be a right bargain at just £5.5m. Having seen a lot of him at Feyenoord I reckon he'll have no problems at Southampton, especially under Koeman. I had the same feeling when Pelle arrived and he went on to score plenty of goals for them.

True, he's the only defender I'd pick from Liverpool. However the one player in my team I'm looking forward to watching is Jordy Clasie and I think he could turn out to be a right bargain at just £5.5m. Having seen a lot of him at Feyenoord I reckon he'll have no problems at Southampton, especially under Koeman. I had the same feeling when Pelle arrived and he went on to score plenty of goals for them.

Yeah, I noted that in the PL thread when you said similar.

I'd have to ask what his assist record is like and how attacking he is as I couldn't foresee him being much use points wise in fantasy with his lack of goals?

Yeah, I noted that in the PL thread when you said similar.

I'd have to ask what his assist record is like and how attacking he is as I couldn't foresee him being much use points wise in fantasy with his lack of goals?

In the Eredivisie he grabbed 6 assists and 2 goals last season and in 2013/2014 he got 7 assists and 1 goal. So he's not exactly prolific but for £5.5m I think around 7 assists a season and the odd goal is decent. However I reckon playing in a better team with better players and with Koeman as his manager he could easily get 10 assists a season. If you want to know a bit more about him I suggest you have a look at this... Jordy Clasie: Scout Report | Outside of the Boot It's from 2013, but it'll give you a brief understanding of him and how he plays.

The Young Guns Part 1

View attachment 239741

Raheem Sterling Midfielder
Manchester City 9.0m

This guy needs no introduction, especially after a 49 million pound transfer to the Citizens, now he didn't have the best of seasons last year (but lets not get into that), but he still managed 158 points in a Liverpool team that struggled after losing there best players to injury and Barcelona. This season Raheem has a lot to prove, he is still a very good player but he needs to start upping his game if he wants to be compared to the best players in the league, (which he inevitably will be due to his inflated price tag). But where does this leave us in fantasy football terms? Sterling will start because he offers something city what they don't have and that is quality out wide. He can take on a man, score, gets assists and has pace to burn and in a superior team (sorry pool fans) where he will not have the pressure of being the main man I fully expect him to flourish. However at 9m he is in the upper echelon price wise of midfielders and with City not having the easiest of starts may be one for the watch list, especially given the next guy I am going to profile.

View attachment 239728

Memphis Depay Midfielder
Manchester United 8.5m

I expect this guy to be one of the most popular picks in the full game, whether playing out left, right or through the middle this guy is a goal scoring threat. 22 league goals in 30 appearances last season for PSV shows the kind of attacking threat he is but will he be a Van Wolfswinkel or Van Nistelrooy when it comes to succeeding i the Premier League only time will tell. Fantasy Football wise the reason I think this guy will be a popular pick is down to the simple fact by the game he is classified as a midfielder and generally it looks like he will play more advanced so he will get those extra points for scoring goals as a midfielder, he is also a threat from free kicks and if given the chance to take them at United I am sure he will slot a few home. Bottom line Depay is an all round goal scoring threat and goals mean points and at 8.5m is significantly cheaper then a fair few of the marquee midfielders in the game.

View attachment 239726

Jordan Ibe Midfielder
Liverpool 5m

Now people may sneer when I put Jordan Ibe in this section but please hear me out! I do not expect him to be a world beater this season or anything like that but there is a void at Liverpool now that Sterling has left and this kid looks to have some serious potential. The midfield signings Liverpool have made for me are all players who should be playing centrally but can play out wide, whereas Ibe looks like he should be a wide man, also you have to take into consideration Rodgers likes to throw the youth in and develop them. So given the void left by sterling, Liverpools need for some width and Rodgers tendencies as a coach providing he doesn't use him as a wingback or something like that, I expect Ibe to register a decent point return relative to his 5m price tag. That is also the main sell here the price tag, 5m for someone you could rotate in midfield that will score you steady points is a strategy that all managers should be considering.

View attachment 239717

Patrick Bamford Forward
Crystal Palace 6m

Another from the bargain basement pricewise but he scored goals for fun in the championship last year and with palace expected to be looking up rather than down this year Bamford may well have a exciting platform to work from. The acquisition of Cabaye such a coup for Palace that I expect Bamford to flourish he should be aiming for over 10 goals this season after his recent bout in the championship and this is good news for fantasy football managers, at 6m he could be a good differential to have in the attack when he gets some game time. It also will save you cash to spend elsewhere.

Final thoughts

I have tried to highlight to expensive choices and 2 bargain choices to get people thinking about transfer strategy, there is two things that are integral to success in fantasy football in my experience and that is captaining people at the right time which is self explanatory but also the differentials in your team. Having players that cost 5m-7m that not many people have who score points can be enough to catapult you up the mini league standings. So it is worth trying to think outside the box for 2-3 signings I would not recommend it for a full team though. Next post tomorrow will be about Fixtures, formations and transfer strategies!

( sorry if I have rambled mega hangover)

Last edited:

View attachment 918480

Memphis Depay Midfielder
Manchester United 8.5m

I expect this guy to be one of the most popular picks in the full game, whether playing out left, right or through the middle this guy is a goal scoring threat. 22 league goals in 30 appearances last season for PSV shows the kind of attacking threat he is but will he be a Van Wolfswinkel or Van Nistelrooy when it comes to succeeding i the Premier League only time will tell. Fantasy Football wise the reason I think this guy will be a popular pick is down to the simple fact by the game he is classified as a midfielder and generally it looks like he will play more advanced so he will get those extra points for scoring goals as a midfielder, he is also a threat from free kicks and if given the chance to take them at United I am sure he will slot a few home. Bottom line Depay is an all round goal scoring threat and goals mean points and at 8.5m is significantly cheaper then a fair few of the marquee midfielders in the game.

I haven't put him in my team yet because again I want to see him in the Prem first and I want to see how City perform (It'll be Silva who gets replaced by him, if Depay performs). But if United stay clear of injuries and LvG figures out his best XI, I think he'll turn out to be the signing of the season.

I haven't put him in my team yet because again I want to see him in the Prem first and I want to see how City perform (It'll be Silva who gets replaced by him, if Depay performs). But if United stay clear of injuries and LvG figures out his best XI, I think he'll turn out to be the signing of the season.

it is not a bad choice he may well flop or get injured, I left Bamford off of the post **** I am hungover today just edited

Yeah I really rate Clasie, been a long time coming a prem move, also excited to see hw Wijnaldum and Mitrovic.

No Liverpudlians are snearing at Ibe's inclusion.

And with a far more increased roll, and more games and experience; the rest of the Country won't be either as they see just how replaceable Raheem was.

If he gets the chance, he's my shout for the young surprise this season.

And with a far more increased roll, and more games and experience; the rest of the Country won't be either as they see just how replaceable Raheem was.

Tbf probably poor choice of words on my part but a port hangover will do that to you

I've always liked the look of Ibe. I still think it was a bit strange that you sent him out on loan to Derby last season, I thought he was ready to challenge before the loan. But he came back a better player and as you say he could surprise a few fans this season. Also if I'm not mistaken compared to Sterling most coaches at Liverpool have always seen Ibe as the one with the most potential out of the two?

I've always liked the look of Ibe. I still think it was a bit strange that you sent him out on loan to Derby last season, I thought he was ready to challenge before the loan. But he came back a better player and as you say he could surprise a few fans this season. Also if I'm not mistaken compared to Sterling most coaches at Liverpool have always seen Ibe as the one with the most potential out of the two?

Yup, at every level. You've only to look at his goal the last friendly. Even taking into account the opposition, that's something Raheem rarely did. He relied on pace to beat his man. The move Ibe put on his is different from the two. People (mistakingly) think your just bitter at losing Sterling but Ibe's been a long kept secret at Anfield. And as et noted, he's an out and out winger. There's no danger of Rodgers moving him inside.

Saints an overview of players new and newish

The surprise package last year was most definitely Southampton, they were in contention for the champions league place much of the season and after selling many of their prized assets over the summer they most definitely over achieved. Thius summer they have arguably lost one of the leagues best players in his position last season in Morgan Schneiderlin it remains to be seen whether The Saints can replicate last seasons heroics with the added pressure of Europa League thrown into the mix too.

View attachment 239205

Sadio Mane Midfielder
Southampton £8m

Sadio Mane had a good debut season last year in the Premier League, bagging 10 goals and 3 assists and also the fastest hat trick in the premier league too! Signed from Salzberg for just under 12 million pounds last summer he looks to have all the attributes to be the next big transfer out of Saint Mary's (sorry saints fans). But he will need to back it up this season still only 23 so there is still more to come from this relatively young player. Fantasy Football wise Mane is one of those players which managers should love, he plays outwide but with the purpose of scoring goals so managers get those extra points for midfield goals. At 8m Mane is possibly a tad overpriced for me, there are a couple more standout midfielders in the same price range and although he is a goal threat I would most likely err on the side of caution with this one. One positive thing to note however is that there is no Africa Cup of Nations this year so you will get the full season out of him.

View attachment 239196

Cedric Soares Southampton
Defender 5m

Cedric sSoares or more simply known as as Cedric joins one of the best defences in the league last year, he is a right sided full back who has been plying his trade in Portugal for Sporting. Cedric is a fullback who likes to get forward as is becoming the norm these days, and Saints fans will be hoping that he slots right into the void left by Nathaniel Clyne who has joined Liverpool. I will hold my hands up now I am not sure if their defence will be as mean as it was was last season however I still expect it to be not far away. The loss of Schneiderlin is big when it comes to the way this team functions however they till have one of the best keepers in the league in FOrster and having signed Stekelenberg on loan from FUlham a very capable Backup. Throw into that the signing of young startlet Steven Caulker and Jordie Clasie to replace Schneiderlin you get the feeling that the Saints will still be marching in! Soares could be a good additon to any defence as he likes to get forward and join the attacks as well as decent potential to pick up clean sheet points

View attachment 239192

Jordy Clasie Midfielder
Southampton £5.5m

The transfer of Clasie to the Premier League has in my opinion been a long time coming, Koeman worked with CLasie for 3 years in Holland and knows him very well and has called him the perfect replacement for the outgoing Scneiderlin. Personally I think offensively he maybe offers slightly more than the frenchman and defensively probably is not as good as Schneiderlin. But I do not think that will matter to much as he will have a CM partner in that Kenyan dude who's name escapes me who will more than cover for him. I expect he will be pulling all the strings at the heart of midfield and if this team are to do well Clasie will really have to step up I do believe he has what it takes and also think he will have a good season but Fantasy football wise he may not be the best point scorer but at £5.5m he may be good to have as a rotational option and it will also free up cash to spend elsewhere.

Saint's final thoughts

I expect Saints to have a good season but I do not think it will be as good as last year unless they sign 3-4 more players and/or get knocked out of Europa early. I think that ultimately they will finish around that 6th-8th spots, but never the less with Rodriguez coming back and maybe if Pelle can find any sort of form then they may well just surprise a few people. Ward-Prowse and Reed will have gained invaluable experience last season and that will only stand them in good stead as Saints will also have the extra games of Europa to factor in. If you sign Southampton players I would also consider substituting them if they have a midweek europa game and then play the following sunday, especially if playing away we all know how it works out for prem teams playing in Europes second competition!​

Just made my team but I always massively tinker before the start!

Cech, Ruddy
Azpicuelta (always pick him!), Cedric, Lescott, Moreno, G. Johnson
Hazard, Mata, Ritchie, Cazorla, A.Young
Deeney, Rooney, Berahino.

What do you guys think?

Just made my team but I always massively tinker before the start!

Cech, Ruddy
Azpicuelta (always pick him!), Cedric, Lescott, Moreno, G. Johnson
Hazard, Mata, Ritchie, Cazorla, A.Young
Deeney, Rooney, Berahino.

What do you guys think?

i really like that team, great midfield decent up top and good clean sheet potential also

i really like that team, great midfield decent up top and good clean sheet potential also
that's what I'm hoping! Haven't got too many new players in there, always a risk (hence why ive picked Mata over Depay). I'll probably change it further over the next few days haha. Got 1 million leftover so I have a bit of flexibility!

that's what I'm hoping! Haven't got too many new players in there, always a risk (hence why ive picked Mata over Depay). I'll probably change it further over the next few days haha. Got 1 million leftover so I have a bit of flexibility!

Yes I am very much a tinkerer, I am banning myself though till next Thursday, making all these info posts though I am spotting bargains all round and also got me thinking about the strategy of my team rather than just throwing an 11 together

Yes I am very much a tinkerer, I am banning myself though till next Thursday, making all these info posts though I am spotting bargains all round and also got me thinking about the strategy of my team rather than just throwing an 11 together
The more I'm thinking about it the more I want to swap Mata for Depay!

The more I'm thinking about it the more I want to swap Mata for Depay!

Its a difficult one, I'm edging toward Depay because I think him and Rooney has serious potential, but I love Mata one of favourite players in the league and he does deliver. I know his time at United hasn't been that comparable to his Chelsea form but it's still decent enough