FM Base Story Awards: Interest & Idea's Thread.

Lippo255

Reaction score

Ok, I have been running this idea around in my head for a while now & thought it was time to get it out there & see if there is any interest in it.

To my knowledge no-one has ever tried to get something like this up & running on here before, although I only did a quick search & I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

There are 2 main reasons I would like to see this concept get up & running.

1. To give recognition to the people who put genuine effort into creating & continuing the stories that entertain us all around here.

&

2. To offer some sort of incentive for people to stick with their stories.

So the first question is who else is interested in this idea?

So, what will it entail?

Well, this is where I need some help. Obviously the main award would be "Story of the Year" which I am thinking should be by popular vote, a straw poll or the like, between half a dozen or so of the best stories on site.

The big question this raises for me is "Who decides which stories are nominated?"

My first thought was to enlist some of the bigger names around here ( Brendn, Enrico Pucci, etc.) to make a judging panel as such but am worried about a perceived bias as those guys would, more then likely, be up for awards themselves. I have no doubt that things would be discussed in a fair & un-biased way but that may not be the perception from the outside.

Perhaps a Mod could be included in the judging to ensure all is above board? Iamauser, is perhaps a candidate as he is the only one that seems to participate in stories?

The next question then becomes, who do you think should decide on nominee's?

Or should it just be left as a free for all? Though I am not sure how that would work tbh.

The third part of the concept, the way I see it, is sub-awards. These would be in categories such as...

Best new-comer: For the best story by a FM-Base story "rookie"

Best Presentation: Self explanatory.

Best Writing: For the person who creates the best narrative.

Best original concept?: For the most original idea for a story?

Best short story?: For a story which may not have lasted a long time but was enjoyable nonetheless?

& anything else people may want to suggest, within reason of course. ;)

Much like the main award we would need people to decide on nominee's & then put it up for popular vote I guess?

So third question, which sub-categories could we include?

If any of course. Maybe it would be best just to have the story of the year?

So, I think that is about it really. What I would like now is for people to give their opinions, even if your opinion is that its a dumb idea! I don't care. Am just spit-balling idea's here!

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea, "Best Short Story" has already been won! :p

Maybe anyone can nominate a story, and if it gets a certain number of nominations, it gets added to the shortlist? If that list ends up too long, then cut the ones with the least nominations?

Must admit Mr. Klopp's epic tale was a huge motivator for starting this thread. I read it all in one sitting! Couldn't stop!

Maybe anyone can nominate a story, and if it gets a certain number of nominations, it gets added to the shortlist? If that list ends up too long, then cut the ones with the least nominations?

Yeah, ok I like that. So we nominate in this thread once awards have been finalised? Then start a thread with all the poles later?

Sounds fair, and maybe to keep from multiple comments nominating the same story, liking someone's comment with a nomination counts as nominating that story too?

Well I was thinking, once the sub-awards are decided, everyone could post a nomination for each category in a single post maybe? Dunno, still some thinking to do I suppose.

Sounds fair, and maybe to keep from multiple comments nominating the same story, liking someone's comment with a nomination counts as nominating that story too?

Agreed, that would keep the thread much neater.

Good idea. There was a Story of the Year award probably around 5 years ago when I was writing some, and if I recall correctly there was a lot of voters and interest.

Good luck, I'm sure this will generate a lot of interest, especially those who are writing some fantastic stories.

If you need help with anything, I don't mind putting my name down. :)

Good idea. There was a Story of the Year award probably around 5 years ago when I was writing some, and if I recall correctly there was a lot of voters and interest.

Good luck, I'm sure this will generate a lot of interest, especially those who are writing some fantastic stories.

If you need help with anything, I don't mind putting my name down. :)

Cheers mate, seems to be a bit of interest so I think we should start looking at the sub-awards. What are your (& everyone else's) opinions there?

Cheers mate, seems to be a bit of interest so I think we should start looking at the sub-awards. What are your (& everyone else's) opinions there?

To be honest, the ones you have noted in the first post are pretty much spot on. With stories we're probably limited as to how many awards we can have.

I suppose you can't have an award ceremony without the old 'funny award'. I've noticed a lot of users making stories with laughs and gags included, instead of being a dead-serious article, so an idea would be to have Funniest Story (or something along those lines).

You COULD have a 'worst' award to parallel what you already have but users may feel insulted if they're nominated XD

Some slightly obvious ones, but what about best BAP, best retired player gone manager, and best one club story?

Some slightly obvious ones, but what about best BAP, best retired player gone manager, and best one club story?

To parallel the best one club story, you could have a best journeyman as well

I propose an award for 'Best Oceania Story', pretty confident I could get at least a bronze medal.

This thread makes me want to start a story now! :mad:

Ok, so here is what I am thinking so far...

S.O.T.Y. will be completely democratic. We use Pat's idea of someone nominating a story here & likes counting as voted with the top 5(?) to be placed in a poll at a later date to be voted on.

For the sub-awards I will PM a few active members & ask them to be involved in a judging panel to decide the nominations for the others. I think this will keep this thread a lot cleaner & easier to follow.

Once nominations are decided they too will be placed in a poll for voting. Sound ok?

The sub awards are (so far)

Best presentation

Best writing

Best new-comer

Best short story

Best BAP

Best original concept

Other possibilities could include: Best Chairman game, Best multi-player etc. but will leave that up for discussion for now.