Fm13 in comparison to Fm12: Please read before complaining

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 84
  • Views Views 42K

Raikan007

Reaction score
(the main reason for this thread as well is for Mods to link to all the threads that are popping up so we can close them quickly and informatively)

Ok, so a lot of people seem to having a hard time winning games, or keeping a lead, scoring goals and generally getting good performances out of their squad on Fm13..

Fm13 is completely different to Fm12 and this needs to be understood and accepted before you can genuinely enjoy the game that is Fm13 (which is pretty awesome, even with its few flaws)

please read this below and really get your head around the fact that its a different ball game now, you actually have to manage your squad from match day to match day, changing little things to adapt to your opponents!

The game is far from impossible:

I have conceded only 6 goals in the last 17 games and 2 were against Arsenal (that was due to 1 ME flaw that saw them equalize in the last few minutes)

View attachment 283007View attachment 283008

Important advice:

FM13 is much more realistic than Fm12, you cannot just buy the best 11 players and use the same tactic for years and years and expect to win, you actually have to manage your squad, chat to them, praise them, single them out when they don't perform, watch the games, counter your opponents threats and exploit
your opponents weaknesses!

take the time, get into the save and manage like a real manager, attend press conferences, play mind games with opponents and mind games with their defenders and main threats..

Read Jakes thread as well which is fantastic!

(the main reason for this thread as well is for Mods to link to all the threads that are popping up so we can close them quickly and informatively)

Ok, so a lot of people seem to having a hard time winning games, or keeping a lead, scoring goals and generally getting good performances out of their squad on Fm13..

Fm13 is completely different to Fm12 and this needs to be understood and accepted before you can genuinely enjoy the game that is Fm13 (which is pretty awesome, even with its few flaws)

please read this below and really get your head around the fact that its a different ball game now, you actually have to manage your squad from match day to match day, changing little things to adapt to your opponents!

The game is far from impossible:

I have conceded only 6 goals in the last 17 games and 2 were against Arsenal (that was due to 1 ME flaw that saw them equalize in the last few minutes)

View attachment 283007View attachment 283008

Important advice:

FM13 is much more realistic than Fm12, you cannot just buy the best 11 players and use the same tactic for years and years and expect to win, you actually have to manage your squad, chat to them, praise them, single them out when they don't perform, watch the games, counter your opponents threats and exploit
your opponents weaknesses!

take the time, get into the save and manage like a real manager, attend press conferences, play mind games with opponents and mind games with their defenders and main threats..

Read Jakes thread as well which is fantastic!

Hi Raikan,

I am still undecided on whether to buy this version, simply because I have seen people claim the actual game is not realistic, like going through a season and QPR are top of the table, to me that is just simply stupid! What are your experiences in this aspect?

Will the ME bugs be sorted sooner rather than later as well?

Thanks for any help though mate!

Hi Raikan,

I am still undecided on whether to buy this version, simply because I have seen people claim the actual game is not realistic, like going through a season and QPR are top of the table, to me that is just simply stupid! What are your experiences in this aspect?

Will the ME bugs be sorted sooner rather than later as well?

Thanks for any help though mate!

hey bud,

the game is really good, yes there are a few bugs still in the ME but SI are working on it and by the sounds of things, it will be released at the end of the month!

You do need to get it though! it is worlds better than Fm12 so far and is still yet incomplete, so once everything has been ironed out, as SI always do after about 4 months of the game being released (official 3rd patch in Feb) the game will be super polished..

about a week ago i would of bein like wtf are u smoking hippy!!! but i do have to agree with u now, even with the obvious few ME flaws (we all know wat they are by now) im still doing fairly good i have wimbeldon in the priemership atm and with only 5 games left in my first season there im in 14th with a very slim chance of going down.

and what u wrote is very true i find myself changing little things between matchdays and even in some matches u find urself going from att/def/counter alot more than in 2012, **** did u even ever need to change them in 12 lol?

hey bud,

the game is really good, yes there are a few bugs still in the ME but SI are working on it and by the sounds of things, it will be released at the end of the month!

You do need to get it though! it is worlds better than Fm12 so far and is still yet incomplete, so once everything has been ironed out, as SI always do after about 4 months of the game being released (official 3rd patch in Feb) the game will be super polished..

Cheers for your feedback mate, I just looked at the league table on this thread and that looks pretty realistic, with a few suspicious teams, like Spurs near the bottom..... has AVB been sacked? :P

Cheers for your feedback mate, I just looked at the league table on this thread and that looks pretty realistic, with a few suspicious teams, like Spurs near the bottom..... has AVB been sacked? :P

yeah, one of the only things that has not changed since Fm12 :P

Raikan, I wrote this for Jakes post but Id like to say it also applies to this post to, Id love to know what u think and if u have any advice:

Great Post

I have to say after reading what you have to say I feel more optimistic and realistic about my chances. Ive played FM/CM for a long time and have never been an advocate of downloading other peoples tactics and finding "exploits" but ive always been able to create myself tactics that with tweaks, etc can create a decent team even with BSN clubs. But with Fm13 im at a real loss.

Every FM version ive managed to start a game where I enjoy it and even when im doing **** I feel I can turn things around, I punch the air in excitement when I score a great goal or win a game im not expecting to. But with FM13 i dont feel that.

I would love to talk you more about FM13 and get yours tips and advice on how I can make myself a better FM player/manager. I know this year its been made harder to make you think more about how you play the game i.e roles, formations, training etc but I really dont know where to start. I suppose im one of the old guard that only know how to play the game in a one dimensional way and need assistance on how to progress and evolve myself to the new game.

Ive thought about moving to FMC but I feel thats the cowards way out and id enjoy it even less that I am now. Ive never been one to give up on something but I feel ive lost my "spark" with FM13 and so much so that last night I loaded FM12 up!

So some help would be much appreciated whether thats on here or over a chat on steam, my problems are when starting a new game what to do first, when im creating a tactic what to look for in roles, for example good partnerships in roles, etc. Also ive never ever looked at scouting reports for the enxt opposition but this year I know its imperative. What do u look at so get an idea of what weaknesses I can exploit, etc? Also when im on a bad run (which always happens) how I can turn things around.

Sorry for the long post, im never one for moaning so im trying to keep myself up beat that I can turn things around, you wouldnt beleive how many games ive started and failed after 1 season or less! Maybe I shouldnt give up so easily but I have the patience of a very very impatient person!

Raikan, I wrote this for Jakes post but Id like to say it also applies to this post to, Id love to know what u think and if u have any advice:

Great Post

I have to say after reading what you have to say I feel more optimistic and realistic about my chances. Ive played FM/CM for a long time and have never been an advocate of downloading other peoples tactics and finding "exploits" but ive always been able to create myself tactics that with tweaks, etc can create a decent team even with BSN clubs. But with Fm13 im at a real loss.

Every FM version ive managed to start a game where I enjoy it and even when im doing **** I feel I can turn things around, I punch the air in excitement when I score a great goal or win a game im not expecting to. But with FM13 i dont feel that.

I would love to talk you more about FM13 and get yours tips and advice on how I can make myself a better FM player/manager. I know this year its been made harder to make you think more about how you play the game i.e roles, formations, training etc but I really dont know where to start. I suppose im one of the old guard that only know how to play the game in a one dimensional way and need assistance on how to progress and evolve myself to the new game.

Ive thought about moving to FMC but I feel thats the cowards way out and id enjoy it even less that I am now. Ive never been one to give up on something but I feel ive lost my "spark" with FM13 and so much so that last night I loaded FM12 up!

So some help would be much appreciated whether thats on here or over a chat on steam, my problems are when starting a new game what to do first, when im creating a tactic what to look for in roles, for example good partnerships in roles, etc. Also ive never ever looked at scouting reports for the enxt opposition but this year I know its imperative. What do u look at so get an idea of what weaknesses I can exploit, etc? Also when im on a bad run (which always happens) how I can turn things around.

Sorry for the long post, im never one for moaning so im trying to keep myself up beat that I can turn things around, you wouldnt beleive how many games ive started and failed after 1 season or less! Maybe I shouldnt give up so easily but I have the patience of a very very impatient person!

hey bud, you can contact me on Fm-base anytime, either use my threads I have started or just PM me :)

have patience mate, I was extremely upset when I played the demo.. but after realizing that what I used to do on other Fm's, not so much Fm12 was what I do now (mentioned above)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-discussion/106823-fm13-rant.html

Fm12 was just plug and play as it did not need that much attention to detail so I stopped doing all the things like formation tweaking, player talks etc etc..

really glad the hard work I usually used to put into the game has finally paid dividends and it makes it such a greater experience at the end of the day :)

FM13 is in fact a very good simulation of football team/manager and/or role play.

One big difference for me is that just sitting back and watch the match in TV view or key highlights is not enough; the AI adapts and reacts by making substitutions and changing tactics, and the player needs to have a broad view of the field and analyse the play to be able to make the necessary changes to neutralize threats and create better chances.

hey bud, you can contact me on Fm-base anytime, either use my threads I have started or just PM me :)

have patience mate, I was extremely upset when I played the demo.. but after realizing that what I used to do on other Fm's, not so much Fm12 was what I do now (mentioned above)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-discussion/106823-fm13-rant.html

Fm12 was just plug and play as it did not need that much attention to detail so I stopped doing all the things like formation tweaking, player talks etc etc..

really glad the hard work I usually used to put into the game has finally paid dividends and it makes it such a greater experience at the end of the day :)

Thanks for the replay Raikan, loved your FM13 rant, thats how I feel about 90% of the time at the mo! Its might be becasue I am actually not paying enough attention, but firstly I need to understand what to pay attention to and what needs more work than FM12. I.e Tactics, etc. Do you have any tips or advice for things to look at, for example scouting opposition, what to do on day 1, etc? if so either add me on steam stevelcfc2009 or email me [email protected]

maybe we can share some tips (although mine are very small at the mo!!!)

Thanks for the replay Raikan, loved your FM13 rant, thats how I feel about 90% of the time at the mo! Its might be becasue I am actually not paying enough attention, but firstly I need to understand what to pay attention to and what needs more work than FM12. I.e Tactics, etc. Do you have any tips or advice for things to look at, for example scouting opposition, what to do on day 1, etc? if so either add me on steam stevelcfc2009 or email me [email protected]

maybe we can share some tips (although mine are very small at the mo!!!)

that right there is the problem mate :) take the time, its not Fm12, everyone starts a game differently and if I had to type out how I start it would take forever :)

I am signing Llorente on a free at the end of the season, now he is not going to fit into my type of style at the moment, however, I am going to be making a whole new tactic and approach to implement him into so that when playing against Stoke or teams with big/tall/strong defenders who play deep etc or away from home, he will be used to throw himself about, look to hold up the play to bring others in and be the focal point of my attacks...

so I am always proactive and looking to improve and have different styles and approaches to counter/exploit my opponents :)

that right there is the problem mate :) take the time, its not Fm12, everyone starts a game differently and if I had to type out how I start it would take forever :)

I am signing Llorente on a free at the end of the season, now he is not going to fit into my type of style at the moment, however, I am going to be making a whole new tactic and approach to implement him into so that when playing against Stoke or teams with big/tall/strong defenders who play deep etc or away from home, he will be used to throw himself about, look to hold up the play to bring others in and be the focal point of my attacks...

so I am always proactive and looking to improve and have different styles and approaches to counter/exploit my opponents :)

I understand completely what your saying, my problems is I dont know what I should be looking at, how do you work out how a team plays before the game starts?

I seem to find if i play a pressing formation with a high line the defenders dont push up and the DMs sit back and let the opp shoot ALL THE TIME! Or when I want to play short passing they dont do as I ask, also when employing in game shouts they dont do as I asked, I say hit early crosses and all they do is pass inside and pass and pass and then lose the ball!

I feel like and I know im doing something wrong but I dont know where to begin to pinpoint the issues and then when I see an issue I have no idea how to iron them out and fix them

FM13 is much more realistic than Fm12, you cannot just buy the best 11 players and use the same tactic for years and years and expect to win, you actually have to manage your squad, chat to them, praise them, single them out when they don't perform, watch the games, counter your opponents threats and exploit your opponents weaknesses!

This right here, summarise this game perfectly. Just buying random talented players, and then throwing them into some tactic downloaded from a FM-forum is not going to give results over time (and that is what makes this game great)! And I'm still amused over the harsh critisism that people who make tactics and upload them get from people downloading them... This year everybody actually has to play this game the way it was meant to be played, and i hope it stays like that also after the patch!

You get some ME-related goals against you now and again, but if you have a quality team you'd certainly score a few of those as well :) and I guess the people playing games over again when they think they've lost because of the "bad" ME doesn't replay the surprising victories they get :P this ME is a two way street!

I understand completely what your saying, my problems is I dont know what I should be looking at, how do you work out how a team plays before the game starts?

I seem to find if i play a pressing formation with a high line the defenders dont push up and the DMs sit back and let the opp shoot ALL THE TIME! Or when I want to play short passing they dont do as I ask, also when employing in game shouts they dont do as I asked, I say hit early crosses and all they do is pass inside and pass and pass and then lose the ball!

I feel like and I know im doing something wrong but I dont know where to begin to pinpoint the issues and then when I see an issue I have no idea how to iron them out and fix them

its the ME that is the problem with regards to what you are talking about mate, so I would not stress too much until the patch comes out end of the month!

I make up my own styles of football, I implement real life football philosophies etc, I have idea's when watching footie and see if I can implement them into a tactic, or one part into one of my existing ones..

you can see with the type of players you have in your team what formation/style you should be playing etc :)

its the ME that is the problem with regards to what you are talking about mate, so I would not stress too much until the patch comes out end of the month!

I make up my own styles of football, I implement real life football philosophies etc, I have idea's when watching footie and see if I can implement them into a tactic, or one part into one of my existing ones..

you can see with the type of players you have in your team what formation/style you should be playing etc :)

That has made me feel a whole lot better, here I was thinking it was me doing something wrong, not the ME! ;-)

Id like to think im quite knowledgeable when it comes to footy, or so ive been told, and ive been slowly reading through "inverting the pyramid" to try and stretch what I know.

Thats why when I make a tactic and for example im Leicester (my home team) and I play Bedworth in a friendly, i ask my team to play high tempo quick pressing footy and all they do is pass square passes and sit back it ****** me off! And i end up winning 2-1 after having 30+ shots, and their only goal is a cross which goes through the side netting, you can see its quite frustrating, but now I know most of that is ME stuff ill be happy when the patch comes out and certain things are ironed out.

Anyway Im not the sorta person to rant about stuff. Im grateful for the advice and the tips you have given me, im sure in the long term I will be as successful with FM13 as with FM12, just need to evolve my gaming play

This right here, summarise this game perfectly. Just buying random talented players, and then throwing them into some tactic downloaded from a FM-forum is not going to give results over time (and that is what makes this game great)! And I'm still amused over the harsh critisism that people who make tactics and upload them get from people downloading them... This year everybody actually has to play this game the way it was meant to be played, and i hope it stays like that also after the patch!

You get some ME-related goals against you now and again, but if you have a quality team you'd certainly score a few of those as well :) and I guess the people playing games over again when they think they've lost because of the "bad" ME doesn't replay the surprising victories they get :P this ME is a two way street!

fully agree with you mate :) I really hope the patches do not dumb down the difficulty and realism :)

yeah, tactics work well for 3/4 games, you dont change a thing and lose 2:0.. you have to change and adapt in football and in FM13 which is great

yeah, dont think I will be uploading a quarter of the tactics I did last year as someone will donwload it, think its the balls then after 5 games without changing a thing (even though in EVERY tactic I make I say, you have to change little things to suit your own players and team) they lose 3 on the trot.. then come back and say its **** :P

water off a ducks **** to me, but irritating for the person downloading as they are used to it and expect Fm13 to be the same as Fm12 which it is far from!

this is off my M&M tactic thread, right at the bottom:

Important notes:

• Pitch dimensions: Standard or Minimum (100m by 64m)
  • You can untick the playmaker (Stl) I have done this for the DEMO version!
  • If you don't have the right type of players for this tactic, buy them as players like Carrol wont work in this tactic unless you change many many things! If you want to get the best out of it then follow what I have said and suggested above
    smile.gif
  • If you are playing away from home I can suggest dropping the Stl to the Amc position or even the 3rd Cm position as Advanced playmaker - attack to add a little more cover in the midfield, switching to counter will also work well
  • if you feel you are conceding goals from set pieces then tweak the set piece instructions to suit YOUR players!
  • if you feel you are conceding to many goals during open play then drop the Stl to the DM slot and change his PI's to suit his new position or play at a higher tempo and switch team instructions to Man marking instead of zonal and aggressive tackling

• Please note that you will have to make slight changes to the team instructions and or formation for all of the teams you play with! I have made slight changes from the Utd one to when I have used it now with QPR but nothing more than a few clicks here and there! It is imperative that you buy the type of players I suggested otherwise it is not going to work properly! you cannot expect Grant Holt to play as the Poacher role and score for fun! Just remember a Manager has a set formation and style he incorporates into his team and sometimes the players he has do not fit into that formation hence he does not win games! You have to get the right players in to get the best out of your tactic
    smile.gif

fully agree with you mate :) I really hope the patches do not dumb down the difficulty and realism :)

yeah, tactics work well for 3/4 games, you dont change a thing and lose 2:0.. you have to change and adapt in football and in FM13 which is great

yeah, dont think I will be uploading a quarter of the tactics I did last year as someone will donwload it, think its the balls then after 5 games without changing a thing (even though in EVERY tactic I make I say, you have to change little things to suit your own players and team) they lose 3 on the trot.. then come back and say its **** :P

water off a ducks **** to me, but irritating for the person downloading as they are used to it and expect Fm13 to be the same as Fm12 which it is far from!

this is off my M&M tactic thread, right at the bottom:

Important notes:

• Pitch dimensions: Standard or Minimum (100m by 64m)
  • You can untick the playmaker (Stl) I have done this for the DEMO version!
  • If you don't have the right type of players for this tactic, buy them as players like Carrol wont work in this tactic unless you change many many things! If you want to get the best out of it then follow what I have said and suggested above
    smile.gif
  • If you are playing away from home I can suggest dropping the Stl to the Amc position or even the 3rd Cm position as Advanced playmaker - attack to add a little more cover in the midfield, switching to counter will also work well
  • if you feel you are conceding goals from set pieces then tweak the set piece instructions to suit YOUR players!
  • if you feel you are conceding to many goals during open play then drop the Stl to the DM slot and change his PI's to suit his new position or play at a higher tempo and switch team instructions to Man marking instead of zonal and aggressive tackling
  • Please note that you will have to make slight changes to the team instructions and or formation for all of the teams you play with! I have made slight changes from the Utd one to when I have used it now with QPR but nothing more than a few clicks here and there! It is imperative that you buy the type of players I suggested otherwise it is not going to work properly! you cannot expect Grant Holt to play as the Poacher role and score for fun! Just remember a Manager has a set formation and style he incorporates into his team and sometimes the players he has do not fit into that formation hence he does not win games! You have to get the right players in to get the best out of your tactic

Haha, loving the Grant Holt as poacher example. I think Titus Bramble would do better! But in the right system, he would be sensational, can't say the same about Bramble!

Yeah, I get that you won't be uploading as many tactics, if you just get criticism that is not really supported by screenshots of the gameplay that explains why it might not be good for certain teams! Which is also too bad for other users, as I for one like to view other tactics for inspiration.

I'll still PM you after the ME-patch though, would be good to share some tactic ideas.

Live game example:

about to play Tottenham in FA Cup Semi's and I usually play my 433 (Amc) and have done so for the past 30 odd games with 2 defeats and 3 draws..

Original tactic/normal tactic

View attachment 283041

Tottenham have lined up with a 433 DM with Sandro/Fellaini being the Anchorman type player..

View attachment 283042

Now if I had to play my usual 433 with an AMC he would most likely be marked out of the game by their DM and have very little impact on the game, I rely quite a bit on this position to keep the ball rolling around nicely while my other players look to create space to receive the pass!

So I have opted to drop the AMC back into the CM role, still giving him the AP type of role to push forward and look for space ahead of the other more defensive CM's, this will hopefully help over power their midfield as well as set the striker to play as DLF to drop deeper to link up the play as the gap between the mids and striker is a lot bigger than it was when I was playing an AMC.. coupled with this, he has been set to close down as well to provide a sort of diamond shape!

New updated formation and a little change to tempo

View attachment 283040

When I get in the game I am going to employ my new little tweak I have found to be rather useful!

If you playing a formation with wingers against a formation with wingers, set your wingers to SPECIFIC man marking on the other wingers and set their closing down to whole pitch (not all the way)

after making this little tweak in my game against Valencia in the ECL I witnessed Nani and Valencia make at least 2 interceptions each by dropping back and cutting off passes then laying it off and making their forward runs..

this seems to be pretty effective as they were creating a little bit of space out wide and with the "dodgy" FB settings the ME does with them proves a valuable addition!

I scored all three goals after doing this
smile.gif
this is my new Awesome AMC (like last year) tactic I have made and been using with United for over 26 games now (except when I used the M&M DM version against Everton and drew 1:1)

View attachment 283043

so lets see how it goes :) going to start the game now

The thing I've been impressed with so far (mainly because it's been a constant frustration for years) is how the loan offers are more realistic. I've only played the game for around 5 hours, with AFC Wimbledon, and only made a couple of loans so far, but it looks like they have done away with the ridiculous refusal of loan offers which fall 10%/20% below the requested wage contribution. The addition of the monthly fee helps too.

I used to get the rage when a club was seemingly prepared to let a player on £1k-£5k a week rot in the reserves on full wages rather than allow me to give them some match experience due to the mere fact that I could only offer 40% wage contribution where they were after 50% (only £500 a week difference on a £5k a week player) - there were no offers coming from anywhere else, most often.

I mean, fair play if they don't want to come, but for gods sake, don't ruin a player's season for the sake of a few grand, especially if you're a Prem club.

So I've now managed to sign my first loan signing in my entire FM career where the loaning club has accepted an offer of more than 10% less than requested contribution.

Good times.

Back