Welcome!

FM Base has been serving the Football Manager community for nearly two decades and we're keen to ensure that we are here for two decades more.

Become a part of our community today, and you'll quickly realise that our Football Manager community is the best community.

Register
Reaction score
If you have an AMC, order him to play through balls often and high creative freedom, also train your plays to play killer passes if they can't already. Kroos is a highly recommended player for this.

Reaction score
None of them are holding ball up are they, I had this trouble to start off with but team started to stop when tactic adapted, give it time.

Reaction score
are you using classic or modern tactics?

increasing tempo and PPM's such as play's one two's for strikers and amc's is a good idea.. beat offside trap and move into channels

through balls (high freedom) however, this would affect your overall passes, but I would rather have 500 passes and say 6 key passes and 3 ccc's than 1000 passes, 0 key passes and 0 ccc's.

sacrifice possession to create chances :) its a must
I'm using modern tactics. Is there a way of selecting one two's on modern or is it only classics you can do it on?

Reaction score
I'm using modern tactics. Is there a way of selecting one two's on modern or is it only classics you can do it on?
"plays one two's" is a player preferred move (PPM) so you can't set it up to your tactics. You can train them to your players.

Reaction score
When you guys are trying to create possession tactics where do you begin? Do you start by moving all the player sliders to the left (ultra defensive, low creativity, short passing, etc.)?

Reaction score
When you guys are trying to create possession tactics where do you begin? Do you start by moving all the player sliders to the left (ultra defensive, low creativity, short passing, etc.)?
start by selecting a formation that works well with possession tactics, set team instructions to short/slow/narrow or wide/pressing/zonal/high defensive line/normal time wasting

then you select roles and set to short passing, moves into channels/roaming etc and make changes to things until you find a good type of setting for each position then you work on the next area..

Reaction score
The advice in the OP is sooooooo good! 10 points clear at the top of the SPL with Falkirk having beat my 2 closest challengers 5-1 and 3-0 respectively!

Reaction score
Rigt been using this, now I set the teams passing to shorterm but some players have mixed, should I tick and change that to short to?

Reaction score
I see alot of people having mixed results

I tried this with Arsenal but players PPMs just meant they ignored me. Arshavin running with the ball, Diaby and Cazorla shooting from 40 yards all game etc. Most players wont unlearn skills and i would have to sell half my team to have a base of tactically similar players (ive tried - noone will buy podolski)

any ideas on how to integrate players who simply dont want to get the ball on the floor and PASS? Wilshere, Ramsey, CHUKS ANEKE and Arteta are doing great but then theyll give it to gervinho who will run 40 yards and shoot from an impossible angle.

Reaction score
Rigt been using this, now I set the teams passing to shorterm but some players have mixed, should I tick and change that to short to?
if you do that it might result in you restricting passing options to much, meaning that if the player cant spot a viable short option he would just lump it forward, and hence give you worse possession

Reaction score
What will have more influence on my players to encourage them to play a short simple pass rather than a long ball forward or pumping a cross into the box? (I would rather recycle the ball) Reducing creative freedom or mentality? And will reducing the mentality to something less attacking for say my wingers cause them to not get into the same positions they do with high attacking?

Basically I want my wingers, when they are out wide and near the byline, to look to play it back to the full back or a central midfielder and then move infield to look for a through ball like my striker and AMC rather than pumping a cross into the box which will most likely be won by the central defender a lead to us loosing possession.

Reaction score
What will have more influence on my players to encourage them to play a short simple pass rather than a long ball forward or pumping a cross into the box? (I would rather recycle the ball) Reducing creative freedom or mentality? And will reducing the mentality to something less attacking for say my wingers cause them to not get into the same positions they do with high attacking?

Basically I want my wingers, when they are out wide and near the byline, to look to play it back to the full back or a central midfielder and then move infield to look for a through ball like my striker and AMC rather than pumping a cross into the box which will most likely be won by the central defender a lead to us loosing possession.
Reducing both, but tbh its all about finding the balance for every single player. If your player has a high creative freedom, you trust him and his ability to handle himself in situations and always finding the right choice. He has the freedom to do bypass your instructions if he sees so fit. He's allowed more to do his own thing basically. If you restrict it to low creative freedom, he will do as you say but this might have opposite effect on your style as he's shackled to your instructions more and he wont be so expressive with the ball and passing and everything he does with it.

Attacking mentality means the player will think more attacking wise, he will try to play more attacking passes and tries to contribute into attacking things more than anything. Having a defensive mentality will mean he is tasked to play it more safely, being less expressive with the ball and main priority is defensive stability. He wont contribute much to attacking play and will avoid taking risks with passing etc.

Winger question, not necessarily if you've set their wide play to Hug touchline, they will still do it, its just that they wont be so expressive when attacking. If you want your wingers to go to byline and then pass the ball back, then normal mentality with normal/low creative freedom combined with Hug touchline and hold up ball might do the trick for you along with short/mixed passing depending how wide you've set your team to play. You need to remember that if you play with lots of width and short passing, the option players will take is probably the closest guy which is the most obvious., meaning opposition can intercept it and launch a counter-attack.

If you use modern tactics, shouts like work ball into box & retain possession might work for you.

Reaction score
guys what do you think is the best formation for possession football? which formation will give me the best control on the ball in the pitch?

Reaction score
guys what do you think is the best formation for possession football? which formation will give me the best control on the ball in the pitch?
4-3-3, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1.

Maybe even a line with 3 defeneders, like 3-4-3 or sum custom modification of it. 3-6-0.

Reaction score
4-3-3, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1.

Maybe even a line with 3 defeneders, like 3-4-3 or sum custom modification of it. 3-6-0.
but what do you mean in this formations? how many CM's? AM's?
can you be more specific?

Reaction score
but what do you mean in this formations? how many CM's? AM's?
can you be more specific?
4-3-3 basically with 3 CM's, AMR & AML and ST/AMC or then 1 DM & 2 CM's, rest same or maybe even Spain styled 2 DM's and 1 CM, rest same.

4-4-1-1 is the same as in default in-game, just a basic 4-4-1-1.

4-2-3-1 with both variations, 2 DM's and 2 CM's

And 3-4-3 just a basic 3-4-3 or then making it like 3-4-2-1 with 2 AMC's below 1 Striker. Theres endless possibilities, just test out what suits.

Reaction score
Basically play with as many midfielders as possible. Barcelona has been known to play with 9 midfielders. Although it is likely to be difficult to make a good tactic in game that plays like that you could try.

Try 3 defenders (1 CB, 2 FB), 2 DMS, 1 CM (playmaker), 3 AMCs, 1 Forward. This is pretty close to that one guys brake the game possession tactic but with less of a gap between your two banks of midfielders.

4-6-0 is also a good approach I would think. 4-1-2-3-0 with either wingers or 3 AMCs depending on your available players.

Reaction score
Any suggestions, i you went with three at the back, on how you would make it solid? would you even give them any creative freedom etc

Reaction score
anything that got atleast 4 bands of players and contain enough players between the lines for good link up play should do the trick

personally thought, I like the wide 4-2-3-1 with cm's, since it let me do a lot more when I have possession (create more chances), and it enable me to play a silly high d-line, and its a formation I have a decent understanding of, having watched spanish football on regular basis since the early 00's those making it easier for me to use it on fm

sure it also have its drawbacks like the well documented defensive flaws, but this is much less of an issue if the opposing team dont have the ball :p

Reaction score
umm look..I really don't know what's the problem..I tried a lot of formation with possession philosophy but the opponent always taking me to my half..the players's average positions are always like they are pressed to our half..and I dont like it.
and I got a pretty good team.
youv'e got any idea why this is happening?
I put a really short passing game with very very little creative freedom and close down all pitch for all players.