Welcome!

FM Base has been serving the Football Manager community for nearly two decades and we're keen to ensure that we are here for two decades more.

Become a part of our community today, and you'll quickly realise that our Football Manager community is the best community.

Register
Reaction score
Hi Raikan

i'm thinking of startinga a new save with a lower league team, and i know that it's very hard (or impossible) to play with a possession tactic with these teams. But there must be a way to train my players to do it. Now, my question is, how should i set up my training? I mean there is so many attributes the players need, of course they need to be very technicaln to keep possession. But they also need to have good stamainia, work-rate, determination and positioning (and probably a few more) to win the ball back as fast as possible, allof these attributes are in different categories (attaking, ball controll, defending,fitness) So once again, how should i set up my training. Thanks in advance. :)

(sorry fo my poor english btw.)

w3t

Reaction score
View attachment 335920View attachment 335921
View attachment 335916View attachment 335917

View attachment 335918View attachment 335919

View attachment 335922

First:
Thank you Raikan for this thread.

I'm new to the Football Manager 2013, coming from EA's "Manager", never played the fm13 before, because you can't get it in the stores in germany. Not finished one season so far, had some problems with training at the beginning and high amounts of injuries but i learned how to handle it.

So I want to create a possession tactic, that has a high amount of very good chances.
I experimented much and as u can see in my screenshots, sometimes the defenders have high amount of passes, next game midfielders get up to 110 passes. I mostly have around 60% possession, could be more, but it often leads to no goals at all. So i think i have to deal with it.

It's hard to score when Messi is not on the pitch, just like real life :D. And injuries on Messi are really hard for me, lucky me that he wasnt out for more than 3 weeks.

I'm 2nd so far in League BBVA, 3 points behind R.Madrid after 29 games with 69 points. I was struggling a bit because of the whole experimenting. But it seems i'm coming closer to what i want to develop the tactic to, since the high wins (screenshots) happened in last games. Before i won games only with one goal ahead.
ChampionsLeague Quarter Final against Galatasaray and had a terrible game at home against Espanyol(yes,rival...) in Copa Del Rey and lost 0:1 after an away 0:0, so i lost at semifinal.

Can anyone tell me how much possession and clear cut chances i need, so that my board is pleased? Status is at "Okay" the whole season. I have 61% average possession , maybe i was struggling a bit with CCs and HCs, but Barca in Real Life has like 65% in average as i remember, so i would expecting more than just "Okay"?

I keep posting to this thread when i played more with my tactics, especially when i'm not at home and Xavi and Iniesta are back at the squad, Xavi was suspended and Iniesta resumes training right now.

So far i want to thank all of the contributors to this thread helped me a lot, if u have any question about my tactics, do not fear to ask. (I dont use shouts, but almost any individual instruction and watch every game so that i can directly make tactical changes if needed)

View attachment 335965

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Raikan...

I was just wondering that is it possible to make a sound tactic without using any 'micro-managing' i.e just default tactic and not tinkering with any individual player settings...
'coz I've been trying it for over a month but nothing works for me...
I've made some very good tacs (even getting my players to win world player of the year consistently beating messi to it) but only if I do individual player settings... otherwise it just does not workd for me...

Thanks

Extremely irritated fm player...

Reaction score
Everyone on here seems to be setting their team mentality to attacking with fluid but I've been playing control with rigid and that seems to work much better for me!

Reaction score
I seem to be having an issue where my defence sits very deep, even with attacking mentality and the defensive line set to Push Up (naturally I have made sure that the defence and midfields individual mentalities are not set too defensive). And thus I can't seem to muster any meaningful possession for long.

I play a 4-5-1 (v shape with IF) and a 4-2-3-1 (2 wingers as IF and an AM), and I have found that if I play a team that pushes up against me, my team buckle under the pressure and begin dropping very deep, leaving the three front men very isolated. The formation that seems to cause me the most trouble when playing against it is 4-4-2 with a high line.

Can anyone suggest anything that could help my boys push up the field?

Reaction score
try play wit the offside trap

I seem to be having an issue where my defence sits very deep, even with attacking mentality and the defensive line set to Push Up (naturally I have made sure that the defence and midfields individual mentalities are not set too defensive). And thus I can't seem to muster any meaningful possession for long.

I play a 4-5-1 (v shape with IF) and a 4-2-3-1 (2 wingers as IF and an AM), and I have found that if I play a team that pushes up against me, my team buckle under the pressure and begin dropping very deep, leaving the three front men very isolated. The formation that seems to cause me the most trouble when playing against it is 4-4-2 with a high line.

Can anyone suggest anything that could help my boys push up the field?

try play wit the offside trap

Reaction score
i want to combine the best defend in juventus with tiki taka barcelona
this is what i got

BPDx - BPDc - BPDx
Anchorman
DLPs - APa
IFa - Treq - IFa
DLFs

what do you guys think???
what instructions i have to choose ??

Last edited:
Reaction score
A few hours ago I started an Athletic Bilbao game. With the editor I made the transfer. ( Llorente to Juve, Benat, Balenziaga and Kike Sola in). I want a possession/attacking playing style, some kind of tiki-taka.. So I set a tactic, a bit randomly, just to see how it'll go. I won the first game 1-0 against Getafe. I had a lot of possession but doesn't create enough chances.
There are screenshots from the tactic and the game:

I used the shoots "Work ball into box" and "Play througt defence".

In the 2nd game, long shots is the main issue..
I lost 1-0 against Granada. 62% posssession for us, 11 shots only 3 on target. 8 Long shots.. 0 CCC and 3 Half chances.
There are some screens of the long shots if it can help.

I need your help in order to create more CCC and less stupid long shots. Thanks!

Reaction score
A few hours ago I started an Athletic Bilbao game. With the editor I made the transfer. ( Llorente to Juve, Benat, Balenziaga and Kike Sola in). I want a possession/attacking playing style, some kind of tiki-taka.. So I set a tactic, a bit randomly, just to see how it'll go. I won the first game 1-0 against Getafe. I had a lot of possession but doesn't create enough chances.
There are screenshots from the tactic and the game:

I used the shoots "Work ball into box" and "Play througt defence".

In the 2nd game, long shots is the main issue..
I lost 1-0 against Granada. 62% posssession for us, 11 shots only 3 on target. 8 Long shots.. 0 CCC and 3 Half chances.
There are some screens of the long shots if it can help.

I need your help in order to create more CCC and less stupid long shots. Thanks!
Every player, except one or (maximum) two, should have their "Long Shots" setting turned down to rarely. The one or two exceptions must be players with very good attributes in Long Shots and Technique. Set all positions to rarely if you don't have such players.

This should help to reduce your team taking silly long shots and improve possession by working the ball into better shooting positions.

Reaction score
Every player, except one or (maximum) two, should have their "Long Shots" setting turned down to rarely. The one or two exceptions must be players with very good attributes in Long Shots and Technique. Set all positions to rarely if you don't have such players.

This should help to reduce your team taking silly long shots and improve possession by working the ball into better shooting positions.
I already tried that but it doesn't change a thing. And I just played against Real Madrid. We draw 1-1, 50% possession. I wish I had more possession as Real didn't played so well I thought

Reaction score