Welcome!

FM Base has been serving the Football Manager community for nearly two decades and we're keen to ensure that we are here for two decades more.

Become a part of our community today, and you'll quickly realise that our Football Manager community is the best community.

Register
Reaction score
umm look..I really don't know what's the problem..I tried a lot of formation with possession philosophy but the opponent always taking me to my half..the players's average positions are always like they are pressed to our half..and I dont like it.
and I got a pretty good team.
youv'e got any idea why this is happening?
I put a really short passing game with very very little creative freedom and close down all pitch for all players.
What team you're playing with?

Seems like ur passing is too short and not enough creative freedom for the players. And especially if you're playing narrow, the opposition can easily distract ur passing and launch counter-attacks or steal the possession for themselves.

Reaction score
What team you're playing with?

Seems like ur passing is too short and not enough creative freedom for the players. And especially if you're playing narrow, the opposition can easily distract ur passing and launch counter-attacks or steal the possession for themselves.
I play with maccabi tel aviv in the israelian premier league and I'm in my third season with great players I have bought.
It's right I play with an extremely short philosophy but when I try to do it wider it doesn't work for possession..what should I do to play it on the opponents half?

Reaction score
Well as said, its not just about the freedom and passing shortness. Its about the formation, fluidness/rigidness, player quality, ppm's, tempo, width, d-line, time wasting, mentalities, closing downs, tackling and whatelse. Its a mix of everything and its not that simple in possession tactics to recognize what ur doing wrong, cos there might be one or two things that arent just working.

Your Israelian side aint probably good enough for pure possession, but I wanna know how much you want possession and like what kind of possession are we talking about. Do you want to create a lot of chances with less possession in numbers? Do you want to move the ball around and keep it as much as possible but bearing the risk you wont have as many chances, if not any. Etc etc etc.

Reaction score
Well as said, its not just about the freedom and passing shortness. Its about the formation, fluidness/rigidness, player quality, ppm's, tempo, width, d-line, time wasting, mentalities, closing downs, tackling and whatelse. Its a mix of everything and its not that simple in possession tactics to recognize what ur doing wrong, cos there might be one or two things that arent just working.

Your Israelian side aint probably good enough for pure possession, but I wanna know how much you want possession and like what kind of possession are we talking about. Do you want to create a lot of chances with less possession in numbers? Do you want to move the ball around and keep it as much as possible but bearing the risk you wont have as many chances, if not any. Etc etc etc.
I like dominating possession..a lot of possession on the ball. not so many chances but also creating some..

Reaction score
umm look..I really don't know what's the problem..I tried a lot of formation with possession philosophy but the opponent always taking me to my half..the players's average positions are always like they are pressed to our half..and I dont like it.
and I got a pretty good team.
youv'e got any idea why this is happening?
I put a really short passing game with very very little creative freedom and close down all pitch for all players.
How high is your defensive line?

If you are playing too defensively your team will not look to get forward. You need to find the right spot to still make sure your players are getting up the field but also maintain possession.

Reaction score
How high is your defensive line?

If you are playing too defensively your team will not look to get forward. You need to find the right spot to still make sure your players are getting up the field but also maintain possession.
Yea it's nice I know it but how do I do it? can you help me?

Reaction score
Play around with your players mentality, make it more attacking especially among your attacking players (wingers, forwards, etc.). Also, if you have "Run from Deep" set to rarely on all your players but it to sometimes or often on some of them.

My tactic I am working on has been decent at keeping possession and racking up passing numbers. My CM and defenders are set to being very defensively minded with low creativity (except for my DLP) but my attacking midfielders and forward are set to be more attacking and more creative. The majority of my passes end up amongst the CMs and FBs but I still manage to create a high number of chances.

Reaction score
quick question regarding my AMC,AML and AMR.

Im playing a 4-2-3-1 and im not getting the right movement from these guys. What could i do? i've already set them to roam. Should I increase their mentatiltys too? oh and their run from deep instructions are set to often as well

Reaction score
when it comes to the passing slider, imagine a circle around the player, 1 click being for eg: 1m passes, the further the slider goes the further and more direct the passes will become!
...regarding this, I've seen that in 3 of the tactics I've tried (4-2-2-2 Zenith by Quetesh, 4-2-3-1 Boo Ya! (Wizard) and your very own Complete Madness 433 New CM Settings), the passing for each player is set to "1", but during the game some players still play direct, long balls to their team-mates. Does "Creative Freedom" have the same effect on passing as it has on "long shots"? (I know that a player with "Long Shots" set to rarely but with high "Creative Freedom" will still shoot from way out, from time to time).

Reaction score
quick question regarding my AMC,AML and AMR.

Im playing a 4-2-3-1 and im not getting the right movement from these guys. What could i do? i've already set them to roam. Should I increase their mentatiltys too? oh and their run from deep instructions are set to often as well
As Raikan said, all of these settings have a contribution in the outcome of each and every pass.

First of all, the AMC/L and R are operating higher up the pitch than your CMs.
Second, their mentality is important too: if both CMs and AMs have their mentality set to "normal", they will have a "standard" distance between them. If the CM has normal -1 mentality and the AM has normal +1 mentality, then the distance between them is "standard"+2 and so on... .
Third, the "run from deep" set to "often" means that when in possession they will often try to receive the ball in an advanced position, rather than offering a shorter passing option for your CMs.

My opinion is that if you have problems getting your AMs more involved in possession, you should consider reducing the number of forward runs they make (run from deep) and decreasing their mentality a little.

I hope this helps. Cheers!

Reaction score
I try to make that kind of tactic but I have a problem which you, Raikan, talked about in the first post. My cb's had most of the time 100 passes for one and 80 for the other but my midfield's player "only" get 50-60 passes. How can I change that?
I play a 2-3-2-2-1 like this:
GK
CB CB
FB DM FB
CM CM
IF IF
DLF

I tried to drop the FB to play a flat back four but I get the same problem..

Reaction score
I try to make that kind of tactic but I have a problem which you, Raikan, talked about in the first post. My cb's had most of the time 100 passes for one and 80 for the other but my midfield's player "only" get 50-60 passes. How can I change that?
I play a 2-3-2-2-1 like this:
GK
CB CB
FB DM FB
CM CM
IF IF
DLF

I tried to drop the FB to play a flat back four but I get the same problem..
What is the mentality of your defensive midfielder and defenders? And also the mentality and run from deep settings of your CMs, just to make sure that they are available for a pass.

Reaction score
So, the two cb have mentality set to 14, the dm set to 13, the cmr 15 and cml 16. Fb have mentality set to 10. Cm have run from deep set to often

Reaction score
So, the two cb have mentality set to 14, the dm set to 13, the cmr 15 and cml 16. Fb have mentality set to 10. Cm have run from deep set to often
Both of your central midfielders have run from deep often? Try to reduce the other one at least to sometimes, maybe even rarely to make him available for a pass. Also consider lowering their mentality a bit, it is quite high so they are possibly not available for a pass and look to play it forward a bit too much.

Also check your fullbacks, where they pass the ball. If there is too much passes back to the centre backs, then increase their mentality and/or passing.

Staff member
Reaction score
...regarding this, I've seen that in 3 of the tactics I've tried (4-2-2-2 Zenith by Quetesh, 4-2-3-1 Boo Ya! (Wizard) and your very own Complete Madness 433 New CM Settings), the passing for each player is set to "1", but during the game some players still play direct, long balls to their team-mates. Does "Creative Freedom" have the same effect on passing as it has on "long shots"? (I know that a player with "Long Shots" set to rarely but with high "Creative Freedom" will still shoot from way out, from time to time).
Thats because setting it to 1, is a typicall terrible terrible idea. What he basically saying is only make the shortest of passes. If that pass isnt on, then the player will look to do the safest thing with the ball, and that is usually to go direct and punt it down the field.

Reaction score
Can i have help for a tactic please? I've just started with Swansea, and would like help for a tactic that is similar to how they play in real life, and i'm playing on the 13.3 January transfer update

Reaction score
Hi Raikan,

I'm having first try at a possession tactic - i've followed a lot of tips from this thread and your tactical guide so build a base tactic which is not too bad. I'm playing with Nottingham Forest in the championship. Playing a 4-3-1-2. I'm consistently getting 60% possession and 80%+ passing accuracy but have the usual problem of few scoring chances. My build up play is superb but I struggle to get balls into the box for my strikers and everyone seems to just resort to long range efforts. The main thing i need help on as well is creative freedom, I've never really figured how to use this so any pointers in that area would be greatly appreciated.