Hey I'm having a problem with my goalkeeper just hoofing the ball the away, gifting possession to the opposition and more often than not they end up scoring. I have the keepers passing set to short, and distribution on defender collect with my ball playing cb the receiver, what do I do?

Hey I'm having a problem with my goalkeeper just hoofing the ball the away, gifting possession to the opposition and more often than not they end up scoring. I have the keepers passing set to short, and distribution on defender collect with my ball playing cb the receiver, what do I do?

with those settings he should not be just hoofing the ball away.. what is his eccentricity stat? who is it?

are the defenders deep enough and free to receive a pass? does he only hoof it in open play or when he starts from goal kicks as well?

what does he do when he has the ball in hand in open play? long kick or distribute to the selected player?

with those settings he should not be just hoofing the ball away.. what is his eccentricity stat? who is it?

are the defenders deep enough and free to receive a pass? does he only hoof it in open play or when he starts from goal kicks as well?

what does he do when he has the ball in hand in open play? long kick or distribute to the selected player?

Its a reported glitch within the match engine that SI seems to be looking into.

It's Paul Robinson, and seems to be mainly from goal kicks, when he has it in his hand he genrally throws it to the full backs.

Im having that same problem, and another one where players dont listen, long shots set to all rarely and no creative freedom yet they tend to shoot from30 yards out :/

as TBH mentioned, its just the game :) I would not worry too much about it now, it is the BETA after all..

another reason why I am still playing Fm12 and Fm13 :) come Friday though the Demo will be downloaded and next Friday, the full game will be bought :) but there is actually no point at the moment ;)

Its a reported glitch within the match engine that SI seems to be looking into.

Yeah Iv had the same issue if you set it to short as possible and through balls on it helps but Iv yet to see if it is having a real effect...

playing Zonal marking and pressing will ensure the team will keep its shape, I ensure that tight marking is also selected in player instructions!

For closing down (the thing most people have issues with) I have a simple solution that works really well for me, have every player (save for your out and out goalscorer) to close down exactly the same, I have it set to own half but right on the border of whole pitch, this will ensure your team really keep their shape and close down together as a unit and dont get dragged out of position...
or you can set the whole team to close down the entire pitch as well!

Having your striker/s set to tight man marking and setting opposition instructions to close down the defenders is also a good part of a possession tactic, this forces the cb's to hoof the ball clear when your strikers are closing them down, and could even make mistakes if their composure stat is rather low!

Can anyone go into further detail, as I have experimented with both, but am failing to get a degree of consistency. I know it's still only a beta, but it seems whenever i change the level of closing down, my midfield trio (CDM and 2 CMs) move away from each other leaving them unable to link up.

Has anyone got any advice on how to increase the passing made in the final third of the pitch. At the moment, the majority of the passing has been going on around the defence and mids and not reaching the main attack. I've tried a higher defensive line and a more direct passing style but none seem to be working. Any ideas?

Hi, amazing post as always.

Just one question, how do you get the sliders instead of the drop down menus in the tactics screen?

Hi, amazing post as always.

Just one question, how do you get the sliders instead of the drop down menus in the tactics screen?

hey bud :)

you mean the sliders/yellow arrows without the player roles like ball winning mid etc?

just convert the tactic to classic

Has anyone got any advice on how to increase the passing made in the final third of the pitch. At the moment, the majority of the passing has been going on around the defence and mids and not reaching the main attack. I've tried a higher defensive line and a more direct passing style but none seem to be working. Any ideas?

this is what you need to work on the most in a possession tactic :) playing the ball in your opponents half...

set players to run from deep often to encourage movement and opening up space, increase freedom a bit to allow players to play a bit more creatively and looking to get the ball forward instead of holding it up and playing it backwards..

through balls/roaming/attacking mentality are all parts of this ;) formation also plays a big part :)

this is what you need to work on the most in a possession tactic :) playing the ball in your opponents half...

set players to run from deep often to encourage movement and opening up space, increase freedom a bit to allow players to play a bit more creatively and looking to get the ball forward instead of holding it up and playing it backwards..

through balls/roaming/attacking mentality are all parts of this ;) formation also plays a big part :)

Considering Barca is THE example, and having problems with Beta for the t-balls, how do you manage to create CCCs? I mean, Possession tactics dont explore much the direct to the wingers type of game, and this is where most of the people is winning games.

I've made a tactic that follows this kind of mould, it seems to be alright but any results I'd show are meaningless because even after a whole pre-season on tactic familiarity the mentality is awkward even though I've done no tweaking and nothing is even accomplished. I've had match prep on max all the time.

I've made a tactic that follows this kind of mould, it seems to be alright but any results I'd show are meaningless because even after a whole pre-season on tactic familiarity the mentality is awkward even though I've done no tweaking and nothing is even accomplished. I've had match prep on max all the time.

Chelsea had the same tactic that i use, but it was like 20 %. So, Lampard, Terry, Obi Mikel, Ramires and others alike don't know out to play a 4-3-3/4-5-1.

And i also had the match prep on max too! Not to say about morale.

I think the 13 will be a hard bone to chew...

Chelsea had the same tactic that i use, but it was like 20 %. So, Lampard, Terry, Obi Mikel, Ramires and others alike don't know out to play a 4-3-3/4-5-1.

And i also had the match prep on max too! Not to say about morale.

I think the 13 will be a hard bone to chew...
My Liverpool team also can't play a 4-3-3/4-5-1 very well even though they played it quite a lot last season. Reading your post about CCC creation most of my chances come from my inside forwards or passing all the way up the field until we have the ball in the opposition area.
EDIT: My team are FINALLY starting to learn my tactic and reading the recent ME changelist it sounds like they've made the advantages and disadvantages of Possession tactics and hoof it up and cross the ball in tactics more balanced so our tactics should start being more effective.

Last edited:
My Liverpool team also can't play a 4-3-3/4-5-1 very well even though they played it quite a lot last season. Reading your post about CCC creation most of my chances come from my inside forwards or passing all the way up the field until we have the ball in the opposition area.
EDIT: My team are FINALLY starting to learn my tactic and reading the recent ME changelist it sounds like they've made the advantages and disadvantages of Possession tactics and hoof it up and cross the ball in tactics more balanced so our tactics should start being more effective.

I doubt it. Im not making any save game, only testing things, like transfers, trainings, DoF, budgets, search players and staff, since the ME will (i hope) suffer some changes until the release of the final version.

yesterday i tested Chelsea (only 19 players on the main squad!!). Today im going to Dortmund to check trainings and scouts. or maybe Ajax

Hi Raikan, I've been trying to create a possession based 4-2-3-1 (2 DMC's and 3 AMC's). I like the control that the Defenders and DMC's give my team.

Predictably the DMC's and AMC's are a little disconnected even though I'm playing a high line and I feel it should push them closer together I think I need to get the AMC's to drift around in the space more, so do you have any advice about how to make AMC's drift around more? (player instructions, freedom and Roaming)

Since the last patch, my goalkeeper is always trying to do direct kicks and passes, even tho he has instructions "defender collect" and pass to one of my backs. Last 4 games he has ~40 pass accuracy and that ruins my possession...

I find setting the keepers distribution to throw ball generally means he is less likely to hoof it up the field, but as mentioned before there appears to be a problem with the ME, concerning the defender collect command, in this beta.