this is what you need to work on the most in a possession tactic :) playing the ball in your opponents half...

set players to run from deep often to encourage movement and opening up space, increase freedom a bit to allow players to play a bit more creatively and looking to get the ball forward instead of holding it up and playing it backwards..

through balls/roaming/attacking mentality are all parts of this ;) formation also plays a big part :)

I don't really have what you would call "a problem" in fact this formation is very successful, won everything with liverpool twice in 5 years, just restarted since i had forgotten the lfc marshall update and badly wanted joe allen updated.

Formation

View attachment 280419

Team Instructions :

View attachment 280417

Shouts

View attachment 280418

This is what I am using this time around as well. I actually want to have more passes than I normally do (400 max)

and it was 500 max in the previous save.. Any ideas on how to get more passes and instead of "knocking the ball forward by taking 5 billion touches since nobody is closing down" get my players to take just a few seconds (instead of 10) and then pass the ball to another person. It isn't their job to play the killer ball, so why are they taking so much time? they should just lay it off.

Hey mate, just tried out your formation and team instructions with Barcelona and I've got to say it's working wonders! Not only are they replicating the way Barca play in a great way, they are also creating multiple ccc's while keeping possession at the same time!

I changed "control" to "attacking" though, and the "ball winning midfielder" to "box to box mf", and it's so far working out great!

I don't really have what you would call "a problem" in fact this formation is very successful, won everything with liverpool twice in 5 years, just restarted since i had forgotten the lfc marshall update and badly wanted joe allen updated.

Formation

View attachment 280419

Team Instructions :

View attachment 280417

Shouts

View attachment 280418

This is what I am using this time around as well. I actually want to have more passes than I normally do (400 max)

and it was 500 max in the previous save.. Any ideas on how to get more passes and instead of "knocking the ball forward by taking 5 billion touches since nobody is closing down" get my players to take just a few seconds (instead of 10) and then pass the ball to another person. It isn't their job to play the killer ball, so why are they taking so much time? they should just lay it off.

this is for FM12 mate?

of course you are struggling :) everything is left as defualt!

change passing to shorter/freedom to higher/pressing/zonal/roam from position/drill crosses

Hey mate, just tried out your formation and team instructions with Barcelona and I've got to say it's working wonders! Not only are they replicating the way Barca play in a great way, they are also creating multiple ccc's while keeping possession at the same time!

I changed "control" to "attacking" though, and the "ball winning midfielder" to "box to box mf", and it's so far working out great!

you copied everything as defualt? lol :) not much actual settings to copy across there mate....

1) any settings with Barca will make you win, even these....

Hehe yeah I guess there wasn't very much to copy as everything was set to default, but I mean the formation/style/strategy. The players settings I tweaked myself.

Well winning isn't what's most important and what I'm striving towards, and as you say, since I'm Barcelona, any tactic will get you wins. I'm more looking for their real style, and with this tactic I've come pretty close to replicate it :)
Got lots of possession and Barca-looking movement and passess.

I'm pretty **** at creating FM tactics so I'm feeling quite satisfied with this :D

Hehe yeah I guess there wasn't very much to copy as everything was set to default, but I mean the formation/style/strategy. The players settings I tweaked myself.

Well winning isn't what's most important and what I'm striving towards, and as you say, since I'm Barcelona, any tactic will get you wins. I'm more looking for their real style, and with this tactic I've come pretty close to replicate it :)

I'm pretty **** at creating FM tactics so I'm feeling quite satisfied with this :D

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-touch-possession-ccc-tactic-raikan007-7.html

are you playing Fm13 or Fm12?

I'm currently playing the demo of FM 13, trying to figure out tactics, etc before I begin with the real game

this is for FM12 mate?

of course you are struggling :) everything is left as defualt!

change passing to shorter/freedom to higher/pressing/zonal/roam from position/drill crosses

Lol everything is left as default, as everything is taken care of in player instructions. I know it works wonders for me too...

it just..... i want more passes. It's pretty good, possession up to 70%, CCCs etc etc just not 500+ passes

It's an fm12 tactic though and I uploaded it.. it hasn't gone public yet.. I uploaded the tactic at a strange time which would be midnight and therefore everyone would be sleeping..

So, Fabio, 2 questions. Firstly, did you tweak player instructions much? Secondly, where does your namesake fit in with this tactic?

It doesn't.. and yes everything in player instructions is specified, all the boxes are ticked in player instructions so that the players play exactly as I want them to. Having trouble with it in my new save since I don't have a proper left winger and left wing back

wing backs must be pacey, if they aren't the tactic fails miserably

So, Raikan. I am trying a possesion tactic with Arsenal. Been having about 600 passes per game etc. Most of these passes are on the oppositions half and i am quite pleased with this. The problem is however that my central defenders cannot seem to get more than 60% completion rate when it comes to passes. All the other players are having about 90%. Is there a way i can fix this. View attachment 280611 This is the instructions i use for both of my CDs. They always seem to punt the ball forwards even when i have set the instructions to as short as possible.

So, Raikan. I am trying a possesion tactic with Arsenal. Been having about 600 passes per game etc. Most of these passes are on the oppositions half and i am quite pleased with this. The problem is however that my central defenders cannot seem to get more than 60% completion rate when it comes to passes. All the other players are having about 90%. Is there a way i can fix this. View attachment 280611 This is the instructions i use for both of my CDs. They always seem to punt the ball forwards even when i have set the instructions to as short as possible.

It's a glitch, hopefully it will be fixed soon

If they punt it forward try reducing their creative freedom I suppose but I don't have fm13 just yet so no idea

If they punt it forward try reducing their creative freedom I suppose but I don't have fm13 just yet so no idea
That would normally work but, my CBs have very short passing and next to no creative freedom and punt it forward more than they should, it's a bug SI are working to fix and it's even worse with goalkeeper distribution.

My GK is putting the letting the possesion for my entire team down, by spending his time kicking it up to Wilshere, Gervinho, Cazorla...

Just want to say a HUGE thanks to Raikan for beginning this topic in such depth and detail. It's obvious that you know what you're talking about and it has helped me hugely.

I originally had a tactic which I was pretty successful with but not dominant. But upon reading this I have created a flat 4-4-2 formation using the advice in the first post and to my delight it has been working brilliantly. Still making adjustments here and there to see if I can improve the possession and passing stats, but I am averaging on about 550 passes a match.

And to everyone talking about the Goalkeeper kicking the ball out instead of throwing or passing it, I am still having the same trouble. I have figured out that with a midfield with likes of Sandro, Dembele, Sigurdsson or Bale in it, they are winning the aerial battles. -It might be worth investing in some tall midfielder until there is a fix for what appears to be a bug.

Anyway, thanks again Raikan.

Have you ever successfully played with a strong target man?

My keeper keeps bashing it to my wingers! And theyre quite small and doesnt win any headers.. what do i do? IN general this has mixed performances for me, some amazing, some times really bad when my team collapse completely. Reeeealy nice guide tho!

My keeper keeps bashing it to my wingers! And theyre quite small and doesnt win any headers.. what do i do? IN general this has mixed performances for me, some amazing, some times really bad when my team collapse completely. Reeeealy nice guide tho!

One thing that has started working for me is using the shout from start of the match "play out of defence". The keeper has been hoofing it up field a lot less.