This is the last chance (maybe lol)

Even though FM15 was a decent enough release, I feel they've fallen off since their marquee titles (FM07, maybe the very solid FM12, and for the old school players, CM01), and they just add tiny details in order to provide more depth to an already very structured and automated functioning title every other year to quiet down many of us asking for stronger changes.
I don't get the sense the good folks at SI really take into consideration, what I feel, are much needed aditions, adjustments, etc. Many are so simple as to just get back to the old way of doing things (sliders in tactics for me was key to leave it in alongside the newer tacitcal interface, and the classic version of tactics as well); others are eternal promises that are never met, such es radical ME improvements (big part of the experience today) as well as interaction with the press, and now your players, which could not be any simpler and non challenging. These last two are particularly disappointing because every year we hear the phrase "better than ever before", yet it's as one dimensional and simple that after 5 seasons into your save, you just want to beat the **** out of every press conference you have to make. Player interaction makes all your players seem stupid in their reactions.
Imo, SI is just making tiny changes, nothing within the chore architecture of the game (even though it's needed), to keep their fanbase happy for a couple of months after their new release. This, to me, is unacceptable. Year after year thousands of diehard FM fans provide hundreds of recommendations that can truly make FM a remarkable buy every single year, yet only the simpler ones make for the easier adjustments, sort of like seeing the wasy way out by SI.

Thus far, from what little we've been shown of the newest FM release, the one thing I'm liking is the prozone adjustments and the extra instructions to have during games (even though this is something you can technically already do). The rest seem, once again, tiny additions to add some more depth (even though it'll likely won't be a determining factor). The tactical interface (along with the set piece creator), looks unattractive.
Of course, more chances will be seen once the final version arrives, but, to me, FM16 will be the pivotal release, the breaking point.
If the game doesn't provide an experiencia like what FM07 or FM12 gave, I won't be buying FM releases for a couple of years at least.
Imo, as fans we deserve a lot more from SI after the loyalty they've received from hundred of thousands of fans around the world that have made them very wealthy people.

You have a lot to say 'silent' Jay ;)

Would still like the training to go kind of back to how it was in some ways.

I'll be buying anyway. Might see if I can finally get Milan to play well. Not tried since 14 but they all shot from distance constantly!

Looking forward it it :)

(also not going to bother pre ordering yet. It always goes to around 20 quid shortly before launch anyway)

Even though FM15 was a decent enough release, I feel they've fallen off since their marquee titles (FM07, maybe the very solid FM12, and for the old school players, CM01), and they just add tiny details in order to provide more depth to an already very structured and automated functioning title every other year to quiet down many of us asking for stronger changes.
I don't get the sense the good folks at SI really take into consideration, what I feel, are much needed aditions, adjustments, etc. Many are so simple as to just get back to the old way of doing things (sliders in tactics for me was key to leave it in alongside the newer tacitcal interface, and the classic version of tactics as well); others are eternal promises that are never met, such es radical ME improvements (big part of the experience today) as well as interaction with the press, and now your players, which could not be any simpler and non challenging. These last two are particularly disappointing because every year we hear the phrase "better than ever before", yet it's as one dimensional and simple that after 5 seasons into your save, you just want to beat the **** out of every press conference you have to make. Player interaction makes all your players seem stupid in their reactions.
Imo, SI is just making tiny changes, nothing within the chore architecture of the game (even though it's needed), to keep their fanbase happy for a couple of months after their new release. This, to me, is unacceptable. Year after year thousands of diehard FM fans provide hundreds of recommendations that can truly make FM a remarkable buy every single year, yet only the simpler ones make for the easier adjustments, sort of like seeing the wasy way out by SI.

Thus far, from what little we've been shown of the newest FM release, the one thing I'm liking is the prozone adjustments and the extra instructions to have during games (even though this is something you can technically already do). The rest seem, once again, tiny additions to add some more depth (even though it'll likely won't be a determining factor). The tactical interface (along with the set piece creator), looks unattractive.
Of course, more chances will be seen once the final version arrives, but, to me, FM16 will be the pivotal release, the breaking point.
If the game doesn't provide an experiencia like what FM07 or FM12 gave, I won't be buying FM releases for a couple of years at least.
Imo, as fans we deserve a lot more from SI after the loyalty they've received from hundred of thousands of fans around the world that have made them very wealthy people.
"IMO" you don't realise how much work goes into the game every year, including the ME.

FM12 was only really solid since they had polished a ME with huge glaring flaws. Pace was king in that series and it's understandable that there would be a period of instability as they perfect and polish this new, and far better ME.

I don't get the sense the good folks at SI really take into consideration, what I feel, are much needed aditions, adjustments, etc. Many are so simple as to just get back to the old way of doing things (sliders in tactics for me was key to leave it in alongside the newer tacitcal interface, and the classic version of tactics as well);

Never going to happen. Sliders provided an unrealistic level of control that was ridiculous when you compare it to real football. And to quote the man himself:
View attachment 227669

"others are eternal promises that are never met, such es radical ME improvements (big part of the experience today)

This is just wrong, there have been huge radical changes to the ME

as well as interaction with the press, and now your players, which could not be any simpler and non challenging. These last two are particularly disappointing because every year we hear the phrase "better than ever before", yet it's as one dimensional and simple that after 5 seasons into your save, you just want to beat the **** out of every press conference you have to make. Player interaction makes all your players seem stupid in their reactions.

I'll give you that one. Press conferences are boring as ***** but I don;t think there's much more you can do with them. Football by it's very nature is repetitive, you're playing a 90 minute match, 30-40 times a season and the press only has so many things they can ask about.

Player interaction is quite broken right now but it's a relatively new feature. If it's not polished by FM17 I'll be far more worried.

What exactly dose "chore architecture of the game" mean to you? Though to be honest, it think this is more of a rant than a point. (Which you're entitled to)

Cant really comment until the BETA is release and I can have a look at it for myself but I don't really have any issue with anything you've said here.

FM12 had a broken ME.... in that is was easily exploited. We'll never have an installment like that again since SI have moved towards the importance of player roles. Personally speaking, I've enjoyed FM15 far more than I enjoyed FM12.

SI are a business. They make a game; you buy it. It's very easy to say "we deserve loyalty" while also saying you're going to jump ship if it's not exactly what you expect.

"Imo", I do....
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
I believe SI's got a lot more to show, and choose which to present each year.

We are talking about business after all.

That's fair.
Rant or not (likely rant), I'm still gonna be getting the game.

I do understand it's business, which is why I believe SI has in store many more changes for many years to come.
Which of course, it's appreciated.

I have to admit, at the moment the small announcements aren't anything that have really made me think, I can't wait, although the sound of a revamped set piece editor sounds pleasing, I really hope there is more you can do in terms of instructions, like you see a lot more in real life a corner instruction is much more than where a player is positioned and what the corner kick taker does, same with some free kicks. I'd like to see something like what I noticed West Ham do to Liverpool at Anfield two or three times, a short corner, then that player passed it straight to the guy on the edge of the box who drilled a low cross into the area. That was the main 3 parts of the corner that all had to be executed, rather than just having the corner set to short, a player to lurk outside area and hoping they would try it.

I personally have found 15 a much better game than any previous since 08. I've taken a good 7 years to fully get to grips with player roles/duties, but despite being very poor each year, I still bought the game and I knew deep down it was me, not the game that was the main issue. Now I feel I've finally grasped it a bit more and can make it work much better than before. I'm not expecting to take over a team in the conference and turn them into Premiership Champions in 10 years or less like some people, but now I feel like I'm not going to go on constant 7 game losing streaks with no idea on what I'm doing wrong, that for me makes the game perfect for me.

Conferences/Player Interactions could do with a revamp but I'm sure there are only so many questions/answers they can store in the database before they end up sacrificing something much more vital, so hopefully these little steps continue to improve them and make them more interesting.

Personally I'm more excited to see future announcements and see what more is to come and I will for one try to pre-order nearer the time of the BETA release.

"IMO" you don't realise how much work goes into the game every year, including the ME.

At this point, I don't give a **** and, honestly, I'm starting to hate that excuse. This isn't some little indie company, they're the maker of one of the biggest games on Steam. They're a business and if they want to keep my custom then they need to make good design choices. The way they're going about it atm is not a good design choice in my opinion, taking the Bethesda route of adding huge amounts of breadth instead of depth. There are lots of features that have been added or reworked to essentially be nuisances which, whilst mimicking reality, aren't especially fun. Essentially you get all of the **** sides of being a realistic football manager (micro, ridiculous player interactions, injury crises etc etc) without the benefits a real manager gets in training and tactics. It's beginning to feel a bit like FM is all fur coat and no knickers.

At this point, I don't give a **** and, honestly, I'm starting to hate that excuse. This isn't some little indie company, they're the maker of one of the biggest games on Steam. They're a business and if they want to keep my custom then they need to make good design choices. The way they're going about it atm is not a good design choice in my opinion, taking the Bethesda route of adding huge amounts of breadth instead of depth. There are lots of features that have been added or reworked to essentially be nuisances which, whilst mimicking reality, aren't especially fun. Essentially you get all of the **** sides of being a realistic football manager (micro, ridiculous player interactions, injury crises etc etc) without the benefits a real manager gets in training and tactics. It's beginning to feel a bit like FM is all fur coat and no knickers.

features added in FM15
  • New motion captured animations; new lighting and improved ball physics add extra depth and realism to the 3D Match Engine.
  • Revamped and redesigned scouting system.
  • More personalized managers: ability to gain coaching qualifications.

I'd call that depth.
If SI moved FM more in a direct that you didn't like, fair enough. I hate FIFA for the same reason i love FM: it provides me with a challenge and makes me work for my wins.

But I disagree that training and tactics are neglected. FM14 had a huge tactical overhaul and more far more closely intimating real life with the player roles than the tactical sliders ever could have.

Last edited:
features added in FM15
  • New motion captured animations; new lighting and improved ball physics add extra depth and realism to the 3D Match Engine.
  • Revamped and redesigned scouting system.
  • More personalized managers: ability to gain coaching qualifications.

I'd call that depth.
If SI moved FM more in a direct that you didn't like, fair enough. I hate FIFA for the same reason i love FM: it provides me with a challenge and makes me worth for my wins. But I disagree that training and tactics are neglected.

FM14 had a huge tactical overhaul and more far more closely intimating real life with the player roles than the tactical sliders ever could have.

I would say those are the very definitions of breadth, features that don't add to the core gameplay (tactics, squads and training) but instead add other little things that, although nice, are far from essential. I would happily give all of it up, the press conferences, the player talks, the negotiations, customisable manager, everything, for a slick, accurate engine and greater tactical control.

The problem I have is that they took away the sliders people were using to essentially hack decent tactics into the engine and replaced them with a set of defined roles that were generally inferior. They're a much better option for plug 'n' play but for more developed tactical setups they're so much more limited. I don't begrudge their decision, I'm opposed to the fact that they did it before they actually had a better alternative in place.

I would say those are the very definitions of breadth, features that don't add to the core gameplay (tactics, squads and training) but instead add other little things that, although nice, are far from essential. I would happily give all of it up, the press conferences, the player talks, the negotiations, customisable manager, everything, for a slick, accurate engine and greater tactical control.

The problem I have is that they took away the sliders people were using to essentially hack decent tactics into the engine and replaced them with a set of defined roles that were generally inferior. They're a much better option for plug 'n' play but for more developed tactical setups they're so much more limited. I don't begrudge their decision, I'm opposed to the fact that they did it before they actually had a better alternative in place.

I'd personally consider the player talks, the negotiations core aspect of the game but I'm not going to argue over opinion :p

I'm generally excited about the new release and looking forward to seeing more of the new features :)

Great, release date 2 weeks before I have 2 x 20 page papers to hand in. I will definitely not be prepurchasing this year, I've done that several years in a row. It's about time I got some actual work done instead of beta testing, you guys can take care of that while I wait until January to buy the finished product.

I clocked almost 1000hrs in FM15, almost as much as FM14 and 13 combined. But I always end up crit-binging the **** out of the game when I first get it, and realize a few weeks later that I've taken an overdose and need rehab. This time I'm prepared. By the way, feel free to disregard this post when I end up buying it in November anyway.

You have a lot to say 'silent' Jay ;)

Would still like the training to go kind of back to how it was in some ways.

I'll be buying anyway. Might see if I can finally get Milan to play well. Not tried since 14 but they all shot from distance constantly!

Looking forward it it :)

(also not going to bother pre ordering yet. It always goes to around 20 quid shortly before launch anyway)

I'm definitely gonna get it as well, I'm hopefully it's an upgrade. I just feel there's a lot more than can be done!!

The roles aren't inferior and it's more realistic moving to football terms than notches on a slider that no one knew what it did.

I've been crying out for some representation for these terms though, on FM Story, CCC, here and SI forums. It looks like we're finally getting that and it's good news.

We're getting a better ME every year where a lot of work goes in. Work goes into the AI as well and fingers crossed the AI is decent at its own tactical decision making this year.

The ME and transfer AI are the biggest two areas in the game and that gets work EVERY year, whether you realise or see it or not.

the Training should change to something far more important that is right now. All you need is to get 5 stars in each category and its done. Rubish!!

We should create a training method and apply it to the players and each set of players would react to each set of training, allowing us to create unique interactions between the tactic and the training. For example, if i had Sterling and Aguero i would put for focus in training flat crosses.

Making this would create something almost impossible for someone to plug n play it. Your work would define your career.

Bigger than that, but still tied to training will be development of players. It's far too easy to just buy a 5 star PA and "know" he'll be great as long as he gets playing time. IMO, that should be the next big feature.

Nothing stands out for me, personally in this version. There are more announcements to come though. The additional features are just bonus features to enjoy along with the usual updates to the ME and the AI in the transfer module and in-match managers.

Bigger than that, but still tied to training will be development of players. It's far too easy to just buy a 5 star PA and "know" he'll be great as long as he gets playing time. IMO, that should be the next big feature.

Couldn't agree more, it should be much harder for a young player to reach their potential, hopefully some steps in that direction are taken.

I'm still relatively new to FM, FM13 was the first one I played, so as far as I'm concerned the changes they're making for 16 look great, and I'm looking forward to it :)

EDIT: Is it true there will be dynamic rivalries in 16? Really hope so!