That tactic screen looks horrible :O

Yeah, I've also said "Ok, I'm done. I won't buy the next version bla bla bla" but I'm going to buy it as soon as it is released ;)

People want FM to be more realistic year after year but yet they miss sliders... I imagine e.g. Guardiola during a training session "Hey Lahm, you make too long passes, 3 points to the left!"

I can't understand how someone could have enjoyed FM12 more than FM15. Yeah, player interactions are stupid and broken, press conferences are boring (get an assman with 16-20 motivating and he will do the **** for you ;)) but it is a good game, far better than any other FM. Sometimes I watch certain highlights again and again because I'm that impressed with my players' movement.

I think the big announcement so far for most is the set piece instructions being revamped.

I am one who was better with the sliders, but personally I don't want to go back to them. If you are a manager, there is only so much you can tell your team to do, unlike using a slider to make them always pass it short, yes you can say to your whole team, play it short and quick, but once they are on the pitch it's down to them players to do that, and although they've been instructed to play it short, if a player sees a good long pass on then their instincts will make them go for it rather than playing it short.

I'd love training to get some improvements, I honestly don't think I pay much attention to this side of the game. I try to improve my coaches now and then, but mainly in pre-season where I have time to think about it. I'd like to have drills to help improve your team a bit more, like maybe rather than selecting 'Defending' as your training, it has a bit more depth to it, like defensive drills you could use to improve defending in certain ways like if you want to use a pressing tactic or a standing off tactic. Also something which encouraged you to use it like in the backroom advice meetings potentially because maybe they feel you've been leaking goals from out wide.

PatrickLFC I'm pretty certain Miles said there will be dynamic rivalries in 16 about a month or so ago on twitter.

The roles aren't inferior and it's more realistic moving to football terms than notches on a slider that no one knew what it did.

I've been crying out for some representation for these terms though, on FM Story, CCC, here and SI forums. It looks like we're finally getting that and it's good news.

We're getting a better ME every year where a lot of work goes in. Work goes into the AI as well and fingers crossed the AI is decent at its own tactical decision making this year.

The ME and transfer AI are the biggest two areas in the game and that gets work EVERY year, whether you realise or see it or not.

Whether you realise it or not, these two are getting the most work every year has little bearing on the consumer if they are not happy with it. Transfer AI is still warped and there is massive issues in the ME, it is inconsequential if its the best it has ever been, if things do not work in it they do not work. Man hours do not always equal a happy consumer and there are plenty of gaming examples of that and sadly FM falls into that category however you want to dress it up.

Last edited:
Whether you realise it or not, these two are getting the most work every year has little bearing on the consumer if they are not happy with it. Transfer AI is still warped and there is massive issues in the ME, it is inconsequential if its the best it has ever been, if things do not work in it they do not work. Man hours do not always equal a happy consumer and there are plenty of gaming examples of that and sadly FM falls into that category however you want to dress it up.
I realise it, don't worry. Transfer AI isn't that bad, actually. There's a bit of a clash between the modules as far as buying players on form, them landing at the club and the manager not playing them because they aren't actually that good. The ME doesn't have massive problems. Sure there are issues and there will always be issues though.

I realise it, don't worry. Transfer AI isn't that bad, actually. There's a bit of a clash between the modules as far as buying players on form, them landing at the club and the manager not playing them because they aren't actually that good. The ME doesn't have massive problems. Sure there are issues and there will always be issues though.

well the pivot not working as it should and being able to use 5 attacking players in midfield without consequences are massive issues to me, if they are not to you fair enough but that is not even the half of it aside from the ME other core stuff for me is not working, is too boring or is too abstracted or as what happened with last years edition is too casual. But my appetite for FM has been on the wane, and that's not to say each edition has got worse because it hasn't but to justify a purchase every year it hasn't improved enough.
Essentially to me here is the best way to explain it, you have bought a house, but the doors are on upside down, the window locks are busted and cannot be opened, there is hole in the roof and you're neighbours are full on wankers. Some will not mind and will work with it like say yourself, me no not no more after 20 years playing CM/FM

well the pivot not working as it should and being able to use 5 attacking players in midfield without consequences are massive issues to me, if they are not to you fair enough but that is not even the half of it aside from the ME other core stuff for me is not working, is too boring or is too abstracted or as what happened with last years edition is too casual. But my appetite for FM has been on the wane, and that's not to say each edition has got worse because it hasn't but to justify a purchase every year it hasn't improved enough.
I don't pay attention to analogies.

I'm not sure what you mean by the pivot. The 5 attacking midfielders isn't a ME issue. It's a manager AI tactical issue - something I was/am critical of in FM15 and I want to see improvements.

One of the main issues with regen transfers is the "ability" that the AI have to find great regens when the youth intake comes, where we have to scout them.
Not often have i found a great regen searching trough the best avg rating players in lower leagues to have found that he had signed to Man City, that bought him in the 2nd day after he came to the u-18 team without making any game, just based on the PA that i can't access...
IRL, if the players is that good, he would had signed before and would appeared in the City's youth intake.
IRL, he would only go to City if they didn't knew him, after some good games...

About other transfers, if Martial was bought by United in the game for 80 Mill, the forum would be flooded by many saying that the transfers where broken...
There are some things that nned to be sorted, but in general is not that broken...

FYI FM16 is available for £20.99 from CD Keys at the moment:

Football Manager 2016 PC/Mac CD Key, Steam Key - cdkeys.com

You can also get a 5% discount code from their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/cdkeyscom/app_393344207416996

Lovely stuff. You don't need to put in a real email address or like to get a code too. Just put in [email protected] and you still get the 5% code :)

At some point it will probably go a quid or two cheaper but I don't care, 20 quid is a bargain anyway :)

The roles aren't inferior and it's more realistic moving to football terms than notches on a slider that no one knew what it did.

I'm not sure you're actually getting my point here. FM is a game, an abstraction of something in real life with a suitable degree of realism added. It's not a simulator and if it is then it's a god-awful one. So the whole "this is more realistic" argument is something of a red herring because realism isn't inherently something they should be striving for. Their desire for realism is a design choice and it's one that they seem to determined to apply even when it's to the game's detriment. Even then, that would be fine if it was reflected in every aspect of their design but it's not. How realistic is it that I'm unable to give my players basic conditional and contextual commands like "drop back when the full back pushes up"? Now I realise that this is a difficult task, considering you're adding thousands of new variables into what is basically just a giant logic engine, but if that's the case and it's really taking them years to develop then perhaps the best tool to allow players to create that sort of conditioning shouldn't have been dropped from the game in the name of realism.

I'm not sure you're actually getting my point here. FM is a game, an abstraction of something in real life with a suitable degree of realism added. It's not a simulator and if it is then it's a god-awful one. So the whole "this is more realistic" argument is something of a red herring because realism isn't inherently something they should be striving for. Their desire for realism is a design choice and it's one that they seem to determined to apply even when it's to the game's detriment. Even then, that would be fine if it was reflected in every aspect of their design but it's not. How realistic is it that I'm unable to give my players basic conditional and contextual commands like "drop back when the full back pushes up"? Now I realise that this is a difficult task, considering you're adding thousands of new variables into what is basically just a giant logic engine, but if that's the case and it's really taking them years to develop then perhaps the best tool to allow players to create that sort of conditioning shouldn't have been dropped from the game in the name of realism.
Now you're bringing in pointless err... points. SI aim to make the game more realistic each year. That means that it's not there yet and it'll probably never be. That isn't the point. Moving away from sliders to football terminology WAS more realistic. It also gets it closer to your example of contextual commands as it'll apply within the context of that role. Eventually we'll have all 4 phases of play to directly control and not just 2.

They ARE striving for realism, like it or not.

Now you're bringing in pointless err... points. SI aim to make the game more realistic each year. That means that it's not there yet and it'll probably never be. That isn't the point. Moving away from sliders to football terminology WAS more realistic. It also gets it closer to your example of contextual commands as it'll apply within the context of that role. Eventually we'll have all 4 phases of play to directly control and not just 2.

They ARE striving for realism, like it or not.

A career in politics beckons.

I'm not sure you're actually getting my point here. FM is a game, an abstraction of something in real life with a suitable degree of realism added. It's not a simulator and if it is then it's a god-awful one.

Hate to break it to you.... "Football Manager is a series of football management simulation games developed by Sports Interactive and published by Sega"

But since you decided to quantify exactly what FM is, I decided I had to step in and give you an explination of English semantic.
  1. It is a simulation game.
  2. Simulation is rather easy to define but in the way you keep saying "it's a game", I'm not sure you know exactly what a game is.
  3. "Game" is a difficult word to define since it's defined by the outcome, not the action; it's only key distinction is that it's not work. Games are usually designed for entertainment but are also used as education tools.
So the whole "this is more realistic" argument is something of a red herring because realism isn't inherently something they should be striving for.

Without knowing what this game is, I'd argue your point is a red herring since you're trying to distract away from what the game is striving to do: Simulations look to emulate realism.

Their desire for realism is a design choice and it's one that they seem to determined to apply even when it's to the game's detriment. Even then, that would be fine if it was reflected in every aspect of their design but it's not. How realistic is it that I'm unable to give my players basic conditional and contextual commands like "drop back when the full back pushes up"?

It's a PPM, it's called "stays back at all times". I don't see how it's the games fault that you're not using the options available to get the result you want... You also have to take attributes into account; position, decision and team work, and play with a fluid system with high tactical familiarity. Then you'll have people plugging the holes left when your full backs push up.

Though a part of me now wonders if you've actually played football; because in a world where the players actually do what their manager tell them to... oh god, we'd be lucky. I vividly remember my coach screaming at me to move back to where I'm supposed to be, or screaming at other players do do what he told them to do before the match.

Once they step onto the field, they're in charge and will do what they want. That's why PPMs are so important.

Now I realise that this is a difficult task, considering you're adding thousands of new variables into what is basically just a giant logic engine, but if that's the case and it's really taking them years to develop then perhaps the best tool to allow players to create that sort of conditioning shouldn't have been dropped from the game in the name of realism.

Yes, an unrealistic feature should be dropped in favor of a realistic feature; you know, in a simulation game..... The sliders were only effective with the old massively flawed ME. There is absolutely no way of knowing if they would have worked with this new ME.

My advice, don't bother buying FM16. Just boot up FM12 and play the iteration of the game you enjoyed. It's not your fault you're not enjoying the newer releases, but it's also not SI's fault that you're not enjoying the realism switch.

Last edited:
Simulations are not the same as simulation games. There is a clue in the name. One is an effort to accurately realise situations the other is a stylised attempt at doing so. In the former you simply replicate everything you can, in the latter you have the added requirement of balancing user satisfaction with the illusion of reality.

Simulation is rather easy to define but in the way you keep saying "it's a game", I'm not sure you know exactly what a game is.

"Game" is a difficult word to define since it's defined by the outcome, not the action; it's only key distinction is that it's not work. Games are usually designed for entertainment but are also used as education tools.

Without knowing what this game is, I'd argue your point is a red herring since you're trying to distract away from what the game is striving to do: Simulations look to emulate realism.

See above. Going to ignore the mention of semantics and the haughty comments about definition, unless you actually want a proper discussion, in which case you better be busting out your best Foucault.

It's a PPM, it's called "stays back at all times". I don't see how it's the games fault that you're not using the options available to get the result you want...
That PPM doesn't do what the player is after in the simple example I stated. In fact it's even worse than that because I'm talking about conditional actions and PPMs are absolute.

Yes, an unrealistic feature should be dropped in favor of a realistic feature; you know, in a simulation game..... The sliders were only effective with the old massively flawed ME. There is absolutely no way of knowing if they would have worked with this new ME.

So again, there is a design choice that has been made here, which is to not and try and import slider functionality into the new match engine.

My advice, don't bother buying FM16. Just boot up FM12 and play the iteration of the game you enjoyed. It's not your fault you're not enjoying the newer releases, but it's also not SI's fault that you're not enjoying the realism switch.

In what world do developer's bear no blame for their design choices? I don't get this completely reductive logic that people seem to adhere to, where SI are compelled to make the game as realistic as they can (as long as it's not too difficult).

Honestly, this thread has reminded me why I generally stay away from this part of the forum. There's always an attitude of "this is how things are (for no adequately explained reason), either like it or **** off and play one of the old games if you can't appreciate the brilliance of SI. The mental gymnastics just to avoid the point here are completely absurd.

Last edited:
One of the main issues with regen transfers is the "ability" that the AI have to find great regens when the youth intake comes, where we have to scout them.
Not often have i found a great regen searching trough the best avg rating players in lower leagues to have found that he had signed to Man City, that bought him in the 2nd day after he came to the u-18 team without making any game, just based on the PA that i can't access...
IRL, if the players is that good, he would had signed before and would appeared in the City's youth intake.
IRL, he would only go to City if they didn't knew him, after some good games...

About other transfers, if Martial was bought by United in the game for 80 Mill, the forum would be flooded by many saying that the transfers where broken...
There are some things that nned to be sorted, but in general is not that broken...
You can always just go world>transfers>youthintake, instead of trawling through an obscure clubs u-20s. Once you know the main days/months of certain countries intakes you can get to them before the big clubs.

Maybe the wrong place but do you guys think this would run fm16 well??

Operating system- Windows 8.1
- Free Windows 10 download
SPECIFICATION
Processor- Intel® Core™ i5-4200H Processor
- Dual-core
- 2.8 GHz / 3.4 GHz with Turbo Boost
- 3 MB cacheMemory (RAM)8 GB DDR3
Graphics card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M (2 GB GDDR3)
Storage-
1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm
- 128 GB SSD

Im useless with tech like this. Anything which is lagging?? Could be better?

CPU and GPU could both be better but they're decent and honestly I'm not great at laptop hardware. Looks like a solid set up to me.