Football Manager 2013 Demo - Download Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having played the Beta for quite a bit now, both before and after the update, the match engine seems a decent improvement but it's still not there yet. The defensive positioning has improved but the marking remains too loose. There's a serious problem with tackling and attacking loose balls.

The latter in particular is completely broken. Defenders can almost stand on top of a loose ball for several seconds without reacting to it, while attackers do seem to be aware of the ball. On my game this has resulted in several goals where the 2 CB's and the goalkeeper are on top of a loose ball, only for the striker to get to it first from several yards away and score a lame goal.

That said, defending from crosses has improved but it's still too dangerous a weapon because full backs give wingers too much time on the ball and don't get close enough. Also, pace seems exaggerated which also causes wingers to get into more space than you'd expect. Goalkeeper reaction on crosses that are very close to them are also flawed, leading to panic and sometimes own goals as well.

On the attacking side, there's a distinct lack of quick and incisive passing. Unless the ball is with a winger out wide running at pace, the game is played at a very slow pace, no matter the tactics. Players attempt too many short and simple passes, leading to spectacular completion rates but a slow build up. It looks like Barcelona at times, but without the sudden increases in tempo and penetrating passes. As a result, the games look boring and precious few goals are scored from good bits of play through the middle.

To top it off, ball physics look off. It isn't completely rubbish or anything like some might claim, but it has a certain floaty look to it. It's most apparent on goal kicks, where the ball often looks like a balloon. I suspect it isn't just a cosmetic issue and has an impact on the match engine as well.

Now all of these together lead to a match engine that can be frustrating and looks very unfinished. I suspect it's mostly balancing issues which can be quite tricky. Bearing in mind that this is more or less an overhaul of the ball physics and match engine AI, balancing issues were to be expected. But it's definately disappointing that they're still this severe in the demo. It leaves SI with a very short time frame to fix them, probably too short. I will be very surprised if they can sort everything out by release. Let's hope they take a more active and frequent patching strategy this time around. To be honest I think they probably needed another year to get this new match engine right. I'm pretty certain it'll turn out to be superior to the old one in the longer term, but at the moment it doesn't seem ready yet.

Still, it's not all bad news. There's a lot of potential in there and I like most of the other changes and improvements. This is the most significantly changed Football Manager in a long time, and I'm glad SI decided to take that risk, as it was getting a bit stale. It's annoying and frustrating at the moment though and I do wish SI would do a lot more extensive Beta testing.

1) everyone lets the ball bounce! pathetic
2) no players can defend properly! its pathetic! I always have to "outscore" the opponents!
3) closing down and marking is appalling
4) tackling is really bad..
5) players are too fast! Nani runs through half the team!
6) goalkeepers are lame then pull off INCREDIBLE saves! their positioning is pathetic!
7) crossing is not fixed either...
8) at least I am getting a few results together.. some people have moaned about not being able to string results together.. (I just seem to outscore them which is fine for now.. using my new Might and Magic™ 2013)
9) it seems a bit unrealistic this year.. unless they are going for the smaller teams potentially beating the bigger teams programming etc.. Everton & Newcastle (1st & 2nd) are also a bit crazy even without Fellaini!
10) do not like the new training addition!

Match engine is appalling and the ball phyics (as mentioned earlier) are poor as ****! really not going to be getting the full release this Friday until all of this has been sorted out!

this is by far the buggiest version of Fm to date and SI are just getting lazier and more complacent as most of us/you are prepared to buy the game on BETA and spend the money on something that is not even playable! I have said it for years now that we need to make a stand against SI concerning the **** they release for us and have to wait for like 4 months before we can actually play the game properly after the 3rd official patch...

So I am going to make a stand this year, no more procrastinating!

Spot on, although the new training and match preparations are good with me, but defending is appalingly badly made, my team always work their socks of(is this the right phrase?) and play the game with my last years tactic(which to me worked wonders, I shared it with you but you didn't reply after trying it out) and I can't get a good string of results losing matches by really stupid goals(really, REALLY stupid) or getting draws so I am dissapointed too, it may well be I'll download the last LFC db for FM12 and then change my team to be exactly like in fm13 and play like that...

this is exactly how 100% of people that love fm should be, this version is seriously pathetic and honestly anyone that says its just beta/demo is just an SI fanboy, some of these bugs should of bein fixed months ago not 2 weeks before release, totally unacceptable from any company let alone SI

My thoughts exactly. It's a hard point to make on this forum though, since any form of critique seems to be regarded as heresy and is only being met with ridicule. You'd have an easier time talking some sense into a brick wall.

Want me to mop up your spilt milk so you won't keep crying over it? I'm anything but a fanboy as I used to play CM more than...ah screw it can't be arsed anymore

Having played the Beta for quite a bit now, both before and after the update, the match engine seems a decent improvement but it's still not there yet. The defensive positioning has improved but the marking remains too loose. There's a serious problem with tackling and attacking loose balls.

The latter in particular is completely broken. Defenders can almost stand on top of a loose ball for several seconds without reacting to it, while attackers do seem to be aware of the ball. On my game this has resulted in several goals where the 2 CB's and the goalkeeper are on top of a loose ball, only for the striker to get to it first from several yards away and score a lame goal.

That said, defending from crosses has improved but it's still too dangerous a weapon because full backs give wingers too much time on the ball and don't get close enough. Also, pace seems exaggerated which also causes wingers to get into more space than you'd expect. Goalkeeper reaction on crosses that are very close to them are also flawed, leading to panic and sometimes own goals as well.

On the attacking side, there's a distinct lack of quick and incisive passing. Unless the ball is with a winger out wide running at pace, the game is played at a very slow pace, no matter the tactics. Players attempt too many short and simple passes, leading to spectacular completion rates but a slow build up. It looks like Barcelona at times, but without the sudden increases in tempo and penetrating passes. As a result, the games look boring and precious few goals are scored from good bits of play through the middle.

To top it off, ball physics look off. It isn't completely rubbish or anything like some might claim, but it has a certain floaty look to it. It's most apparent on goal kicks, where the ball often looks like a balloon. I suspect it isn't just a cosmetic issue and has an impact on the match engine as well.

Now all of these together lead to a match engine that can be frustrating and looks very unfinished. I suspect it's mostly balancing issues which can be quite tricky. Bearing in mind that this is more or less an overhaul of the ball physics and match engine AI, balancing issues were to be expected. But it's definately disappointing that they're still this severe in the demo. It leaves SI with a very short time frame to fix them, probably too short. I will be very surprised if they can sort everything out by release. Let's hope they take a more active and frequent patching strategy this time around. To be honest I think they probably needed another year to get this new match engine right. I'm pretty certain it'll turn out to be superior to the old one in the longer term, but at the moment it doesn't seem ready yet.

Still, it's not all bad news. There's a lot of potential in there and I like most of the other changes and improvements. This is the most significantly changed Football Manager in a long time, and I'm glad SI decided to take that risk, as it was getting a bit stale. It's annoying and frustrating at the moment though and I do wish SI would do a lot more extensive Beta testing.

The beta testing was extensive, but bugs still get through. Still a long way to go, but a lot changes in a week, just look at how much was done in a week for the Beta update. This piublic part of the beta was about testing on the wide variety of PCs and macs out there, many fm games arent general gamers so tend to have older builds, so the game needs to be tested on that scale

Still issues with tackling and attempted tackling, also Defenders dilly dally for too long, some of this is quickly codable apparently so keep the examples coming in. People were saying the crossing couldnt be fixed in such a short time, and it was.

The match engines will be worked on for longer than the next year, probably the next several interations. the key was getting the basic stuff ready to take the game beyond anything the FM12 engine could produce.

They're still working on the floaty stuff, but that's going to be tweaked for a while i guess, taken them years to get this kind of ball physics in, but even in this state its better than the stuff in fm12, remember the ping pong from goalkeeper to defender and right over every singe forward, from one header?

Goalkeepers need work too, they dont do enough short passing when the option is on.

The attacking side is well balanced, defending needs work. See what release shows.

Not buying it untill positive reviews. I'd rather still be playing FM12 where I can make my own training schedules, tactics actually have an influence, players don't skate around like they're on ice, the ball isn't coated with olive oil and half the team isn't retarded. SI have seriously dropped the ball on this one.

Not buying it untill positive reviews. I'd rather still be playing FM12 where I can make my own training schedules, tactics actually have an influence and half the team isn't retarded. SI have seriously dropped the ball on this one.

Reviews have been positive, so you will be buying yeah?

Or you could just be a smartass about it, that would work aswell

Not at all, im being serious. I replied on the same level as your post.

just to back up what im saying:

Football Manager 2013 Review - VideoGamer.com

Football Manager 2013 review | PC Gamer

Football Manager 2013 review • Reviews • PC • Eurogamer.net

'Football Manager 2013' review (PC): Finds the back of the net - Gaming Review - Digital Spy

Football Manager 2013 Review - GameSpot.com

Personally I go with my own judgements, and I've posted a few of the ME things that need work, and sent examples to SI.

Haven't you heard? We're just all "fanboys" of SI. We're just wasting our breath here. People believe what they want to and talk down others without seeing the bigger picture. On the plus side other people who have criticised it have made it more constructive, and made the effort to help improve the game via SI forums

Not at all, im being serious. I replied on the same level as your post.

just to back up what im saying:

Football Manager 2013 Review - VideoGamer.com

Football Manager 2013 review | PC Gamer

Football Manager 2013 review • Reviews • PC • Eurogamer.net

'Football Manager 2013' review (PC): Finds the back of the net - Gaming Review - Digital Spy

Football Manager 2013 Review - GameSpot.com

Personally I go with my own judgements, and I've posted a few of the ME things that need work, and sent examples to SI.

I would wait for the first full user reviews once the game is officially released.

Haven't you heard? We're just all "fanboys" of SI. We're just wasting our breath here. People believe what they want to and talk down others without seeing the bigger picture. On the plus side other people who have criticised it have made it more constructive, and made the effort to help improve the game via SI forums

FM and SI need constructive criticism, its what drives it forward. But too many people confuse pointless ranting, with a concise piece backed up with bug reports. One of the guys who got hired by SI used to be flamed as a fanboy by the ranters, none of them bothered to check that he made the most, and best constructed, bug threads and reports during FM12, a lot of which have been picked up and dealt with by SI. He was far more use than dozens of their pointless posts. Give me one of those "fanboys" over a hundred of all the idiot ranters out there.

FM and SI need constructive criticism, its what drives it forward. But too many people confuse pointless ranting, with a concise piece backed up with bug reports. One of the guys who got hired by SI used to be flamed as a fanboy by the ranters, none of them bothered to check that he made the most, and best constructed, bug threads and reports during FM12, a lot of which have been picked up and dealt with by SI. He was far more use than dozens of their pointless posts. Give me one of those "fanboys" over a hundred of all the idiot ranters out there.

Dam straight. Couldn't agree more

Not sure where to post this question. Will I be able import my tactics from the demo to the main game?

I really want to love this game, but it needs help. My only hope is that SI actively monitor forums like these and are aware of how broken it is in places. I like a lot of the new features and ideas this year, definitely a step forward, but it's all for nought if they can't get it running properly.

Still beats FIFA though :)

CBA to look for this, but is there an editor for the demo?

I'm still to beat Everton reserves with a starting XI lol

Status
Not open for further replies.