Football Manager 2014 Beta - First Impressions

I'm running over 120,000 players and just started a season with Arsenal.

So far so good I guess. Much better than last year. There are a couple of little bugs like the little ratings screen goes to the opposition by default all the time even if you change it. And a few other little stuff like that but nothing major.

I'm quite enjoying it though. I like that transfer fees are finally a little more realistic. I don't farm players (buy young/cheap players with sole intention to sell and make large profits) or forcefully bring down the transfer-listed fee (as many players have admitted to in the previous one). I try play as close to realistic as possible so paying the right fees was always important to me. I picked up a few young guns for great prices and so far 2nd after a few games. Unlike last year, I find the league a little easier than the UCL, which I haven't won a game in yet. 2 draws and 2 losses. The only weird thing for me tactically is that I'm creating +6 clear cut chances per game, sometimes +10, and coming away with only 1 or 0 goals. I'm guessing it's something to do with my tactics and I haven't yet learned to use the roles properly but I thought it was important to list it as the issue was the opposite again in FM13 (no clear cut choices, too many own goals/deflected assists/etc).

I haven't tried signing expensive players but I hope wages are also more realistic? Reading around it's only positive things I've heard so far. The thing I'm not enjoying??? How underrated the Arsenal squad are COMPARED to the other teams/players. I don't mind that they're low but some of them are ridiculous. Kieran Gibbs for example is an absolute gun and has mountains of potential. Why is he rated so low? Also why has Chelsea got SOOO many future young stars but we have barely anyone? Bellerin will be good. He's done as much as Nathan Ake has done but rated so much lower. Carl Jenkinson is also criminally underrated for potential. He's 6'2" and can run like a horse. It's only a matter of time he gets a good run and becomes a regular. He's still young, still inexperienced but no different to the many other young, inexperienced players that have -9 or -8 in the game so I believe he deserves it too.

Also, I forgot to mention, Oxlade-Chamberlain. He's 180cm. Get this through your head SI. He's 180cm. Not 173cm. This sort of stuff happens all the time. Worst example I've heard/seen recently was the Mesut Ozil one when he scored a header against Norwich. The commentator goes "you don't have to be 6foot to score a headed goal". Eh? EH? EHHHH?? He IS 6foot! People assume because he's a play maker he must be short.

Just seen on twitter there's been an update for the Beta.

If you don't know how to get the update, simply save and quit the game, quit Steam. Then reopen steam and the update will download and you'll be able to continue your previously saved game.

I'm praying now my tactics don't die when I get the update...

I'm praying now my tactics don't die when I get the update...

Far as I'm aware previous save isn't going to be affected at all-it's just over 600 bugs that have been fixed

Far as I'm aware previous save isn't going to be affected at all-it's just over 600 bugs that have been fixed

Hopefully now defenders will know the definition of defending and the goalkeeper will be capable of distributing from the back :)

I know......I'm just scared, I was shocking on FM13 I made some decent tactics but they died with each patch and after the final one I never managed to create anything consistent.
This beta has been making me feel like I actually know what I'm doing... Unbeaten half way through season with Man U and it's a tactic I made for Maidenhead Utd who are also unbeaten (only played about 6-7 games tho) just scared that something my have changed and now I'm gonna be sh#t again.

Hopefully now defenders will know the definition of defending and the goalkeeper will be capable of distributing from the back :)

I had my defender intercept a pass outside my penalty area and run it 25 yards and smash it in his own net.

I know......I'm just scared, I was shocking on FM13 I made some decent tactics but they died with each patch and after the final one I never managed to create anything consistent.
This beta has been making me feel like I actually know what I'm doing... Unbeaten half way through season with Man U and it's a tactic I made for Maidenhead Utd who are also unbeaten (only played about 6-7 games tho) just scared that something my have changed and now I'm gonna be sh#t again.

Defending, finishing etc got improved, you should be fine.

I've actually been ok with defending...probably lucky, well apart from some odd 30 yard back passes to the gk, wouldn't be too bad if they were along the floor but they are in the air and with power, my gks had to header a few off the line!
The media say I prefer defence 1st, even tho I promised attacking football and the board confidence is maxed out for that promise.
I've scored the most and conceded the least.

I've actually been ok with defending...probably lucky, well apart from some odd 30 yard back passes to the gk, wouldn't be too bad if they were along the floor but they are in the air and with power, my gks had to header a few off the line!
The media say I prefer defence 1st, even tho I promised attacking football and the board confidence is maxed out for that promise.
I've scored the most and conceded the least.

Yeh my conceded goals we're coming from my keeper kicking it up field and them counter attacking.

I know it's a beta, but a lot of work needs to be done on the match engine. Looks worse than it has done for years.

I know it's a beta, but a lot of work needs to be done on the match engine. Looks worse than it has done for years.

The ME has been updated in the latest update. :) So give that a bash and see if you think it's any better, and report any issues you see over at SI forums.

Few questions:

- Anyone tried tiki taka (Barca style) tactics yet? Are they better now then in FM13?
- Is sending a player out on loan actually useful now? Or still better to keep at your own club.

I think I made a mistake by updating my game... Benteke had scored 10 goals in 11 appearances before I decided to do so. Now he has 10 goals in 23 games and has been goalless for over 19 hours of football. :(

this update will it work on saved games or do u need to.restart

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2