Football Manager 2014 - New Features / Changes you would like to see

I don't know how it is in Europe, but here in Brazil there is a growing trend of sponsors directly paying the wage of some players - for instance, Neymar receives about 2M reais (Brazilian currency) per month, but Santos only pays about 0.3M (the rest is covered by a couple of sponsors). Same with Luís Fabiano (São Paulo), Diego Forlán (Internacional), Ronaldo (Corinthians, when he was still playing) and so on. It could be an interesting feature, as long as the other teams could also do it...

...which brings me to another thing. Please make the other teams more active regarding signings, specially when it comes to regens. Not only in buying other players, but also to keep a hold of their own. I'd love to see other clubs offering a new contract to their players more frequently to attempt to counter the interest of the big ones!

The top comment goes far beyond realistic to 'Player Satisfaction' over 'Realistic Simulation'.
The bottom one, The Manager has little to no say in club marketing. It's the stuff that falls under the boardroom. Perhaps maybe a 'We want you to sign a player from China to help increase our influence in that region' could be an option as I wouldn't be surprised if some clubs already operate doing this. But in terms of a Manager having any control on sponsors/marketing/ticket prices and the rest, it's just not something a Manager I'd think, has a say in.

I thought that the manager could make a request to the board, not that he personally agrees sponsorshipdeals

i might be alone here but i loved the tactical system from the last champ man mainly because you could set players to feed other players and control how those players received it. it helped to set my tactics up exactly the way i would envision it.

1 - I would like us to get weekly training reports to see who has been putting in the effort and is looking sharp before a match. A lot more detailed than 'Wellington Nem has improved significantly over the last month as a footballer' would be nice.

2 - I would like better pre-match scouting so you can find your opponents weak links and exploit them (like the computer does to us) and also choose who's marking who on corners and if you want someone to man mark a player during the game.

Last edited:
With regards to spending earnings, let's all be careful before we morph this beautiful game into a farcical management experience like FIFA Manager!

Really though I would like to see:

1. In the player history tab, instead of just showing league goals each season in the main table, why can't they just put total goals in all competitions and have the breakdown at the bottom, so have separate bits for league, cup and continental at the bottom.

2. Remove idiotic press options like:
'I've never really heard about Sir Alex Ferguson so I don't care what he says about me.' - maybe if a manager had a high enough reputation that option could be removed, just a small gripe of mine.

3. Not exactly to do with the management aspect but at the end of each year you are given the opportunity to change your kits, just to add a bit of realism, instead of sticking with the same shirt for 20 straight seasons.

4. Maybe if you are managing a team who's fans are notorious for violence you could be fined for the behavior of the fans or even have to play a game behind closed doors now and again. Similarly in derby matches which are heated, (Old Firm, Boca vs River, Milan derby etc) player brawls could occur, leading to fines etc and perhaps press follow up.

5. Also if you travel around a lot, eg Pentagon challenge, it has been proven that if you know more languages you find it easier to pick up new languages, so say if you knew four languages you could learn another language in a shorter space of time than someone who only knew English. Same would go for foreign players.

6. If you have a controversial type player, think Balotelli or Odenwinge, you could react to interviews that they did in the press on things like maybe that they are the hub of the team or that they want to leave and will do anything to do so. Maybe also reactions to their off field antics.

7.. Just one final one. When Melburg left Villa as a fan's favorite he bought every fan a shirt on his last game. It would be cool if your club legend's might do that on their last game for the club before retirement, some short of lasting gesture, just a small thing but it would increase the realistic feel of that player having a true love for the club etc.

Can't say i have heard of choosing a team choosing to play a match behind closed doors they are usually forced to

1) Managers salary, I think instead of being able to buy things or invest in the club i think they create a online leader board With career earnings or something...

2)Kinda the same as 1 but anyway... have an online HALL OF FAME leader board

3)In prove training some how... set certain things to do in training e.g shuttles, set pieces, shooting, passing, strength training ect ect and maybe watch the training sessions? set how many hours a day the team train set a training routine.
Maybe with certain coaching license you can only do certain things to a certain level e.g. A licence able to train shooting at 5 stars b license train shooting at 2 and half stars and c license train at 1 star or something along those lines.

2) team building days when morale is low.

3) on managers profile i think you should be able to choose you preferred formation and philosophy

4) Real world things effecting players e.g. john terry affair with wayne bridges wife or Danny simpson getting knocked out on a night out and was all over the news and i think it should effect a players performance on the pitch and maybe effect transfers

5) Players should help get players into a club e.g. craig bryson spoke to conor samon about coming to derby for nigal clough (Basically If players no a transfer target i think you should ask there help in signing the player)

6) I think you should personal be able to watch a transfer target

7)i think the 12th man should play a bigger part, i think players morale and form should have a big part to play with the fans because lets face it if the fans get on a players back when in bad form they get even worse and when they playing well and the fans encourage them they play even better:)

8) again with training i think with set pieces you should be able to do something like you can on fifa 13 where you set all the runs of player and starting positions ect ect

9)similar to 8 but when in play you should set the players to do certain things depending what area the ball is in e.g. movement in the attack phase defensive phase and the transition phase. (I think this could go a long way in helping people create the barca tactic everyone craves and give people alot more freedom in creating tactics)

10)as someone els said you should be able to buy/sell a player but loan the player back untill the end of the season

11)Should be able to go into massive debt by buying to many players (Like on LMA manager when you could over spend 50million) soo you can balance risk with reward

12) board should tell you the business plan of the club or the next 5 years and this should be a detailed report on on finances where they expect the club to be if they want the wage budget reducing or allowing it to increase within the business plan also a detailed report on expected attendances and detailed projected profit/loss margin ect ect

13)Maybe have a direct say on ticket prices and category with an out estimated projections e.g. set season tickets to £100 and sell 10,000 tickets = £1,000,000 ticket price at £50 but sell 30,000 tickets = £1,500,000 also this should be changed year by year by different factors such as inflation, tax rises/decreases economy boom/recession. and/or lowing the prices for younge supports (the next generation fans and offset this by charging the old supporters more like they have done at derby county (i know this is the job of the director of football)

14)rewards for certain achievements board take players and manager to Vegas for an amazing cup run soo players dont train that weekend and miss training because they in vegas and this should effect the next match

15)More factors come into play with finance like derby county have rams on tour members and rams gold membership members but on the game there is nothing like this. P.s i know for the big clubs these are already in the game but when i manage derby for 30 - 40 years and i still dont get this it isnt fair:)

16) board should invest in the club weather your making a loss or not!

17)More options when it could to pitch size and ground staff e.g every year choose pitch size but also chose to either have the grass slightly longer or shorter e.g. stoke city had the grass longer to stop teams out playing them on the deck. also ask staff to add water to pitch to make it more slick for passing ect ect

18)again with finances derby have car park season ticket holders at around £160 to park close to the ground and some clubs have hotels on there ground also derby county have plans to build bars food places and out own little shopping mall around the ground which i thing would provide good finance into a club (for those wondering it would cost derby 16 million pound to build this and would rake in an estimated 3.2 million a year) im also sure derby arnt the only team with plans like this and i think it should be implemented into the finance structure.

19) I think you should choose you kit manufacture/sponsor (what i mean is you should be offered a number of sponsors to put on certain areas of kits or manufactures of your kit and i think this should have a direct impact on kits sales) kits should change slightly every year also

20)Team should be able to do charity/community events which again i think should have a direct impact on ticket sales ect ect

21)I would also like to see a greater involvement in my youth setup and i mean like from u12-u15 level and should be able to chose what local teams/leagues to scouts and if you have a very broad scouting range then it will just take longer:)

22)I cant think of anything els but one thing i would love to see if that they release the game without any technical issues:)

lots of this more than likely doesn't make sense as i just rushed through it:)

re: 10) you can do in a way by choosing the option to buy at the end of the season

i think being able to see the ground and watch it develop would be pretty cool like on the LMA series

A game that actually works. In the sense that tactics are made on the same reason used in the football-world and not just random combinations which for some reason works. Features that actually does something (opposition instructions/shouts etc.)

A game that is playable from the start, and doesnt continue to have a lot of flaws even five months after release (Last update makes 40% of corner = goals and defenders/midfielders have extremely high ratios of personal mistakes).

And press conferences without the same 6 questions, again and again and again and again and again.

Ability to be able to invest/spend/donate out of the Manager's wage that you earn.

eg. 1) Use manager's earnings to invest in the club, add $$$ towards the club's balance.
2) Use manager's earnings to purchase players.
3) Additional improvements into training, expert advice, team talks

Currently, I don't think we can do anything with the manager's total earnings. If you've spent a lot of time in a top club, you could have earned hundreds of millions. It would be good if they could be put to use.

This was the first thing that popped into my mind!

Hello everyone, joined for this thread as I have a simple feature which I would like to be added regarding the 'analysis' menu: A 'passes received' option as it is a bit annoying that I can see who has passed the ball and where but can't see who to.

What about an option where you can step into a manager's shoes, so to speak?

Simply, i want to have some input into stadium developments, number of tiers, style, open, oval, boxed, roofed, roof, no roof, just some sort of stadium management would be fun.

I just had a manager from Mainz give me **** about trying to soften up Stefan Bell and asked me if I wanted to respond to his comments which I did and I wanted to say something along the lines of:

"Stefan is a quality player and you (the manager) should not get in the way for Stefan to progress as a player" etc which would add more fuel to the fire trying to blame his manager and making him unhappy and hopefully requesting a transfer..

however, the only responses I could come up with were the usual ones which was a little boring, I just declined to comment!

something a little more in depth interaction between players and managers would be great, some sort of Twitter or FB application where players (who have a stat of 15 i.e: hidden, social media usage or something) which could get players fined if they step out of line or something along those lines if you get what I mean?

Not a lot I want changed actually, but a few minor adjustments is in place.

I would like to be able to tell my director of football which players he should renegotiate contracts with.
Fewer injuries would be lovely... Way too many games with 3+ injuries in my experience ( i rarely see more than 1 player being substituted due to injury during a football match in real life)
Youth players demand insane wages in this years FM, would like them age a bit before deminding 55k £ a week

That's it for me

Just had my thread closed about player conversations, I hate the way on a lot of forums people seem to hate new threads created, It is very off putting when there are massive threads with loads of different topics in, at least with different threads the search function is more useful.
My point about player conversations should really have its own thread, I didn't even suggest it as an improvement for 2014 I just wanted to whine about it.

Its this type of thing that has made me visit forums far less frequently now a days (used to come on here daily a few years back)
However when I search for a certain topic there is often no thread about it, as its been merged into super thread containing loads of other stuff, in the end it makes not bother its not worth it.

Just had my thread closed about player conversations, I hate the way on a lot of forums people seem to hate new threads created, It is very off putting when there are massive threads with loads of different topics in, at least with different threads the search function is more useful.
My point about player conversations should really have its own thread, I didn't even suggest it as an improvement for 2014 I just wanted to whine about it.

Its this type of thing that has made me visit forums far less frequently now a days (used to come on here daily a few years back)
However when I search for a certain topic there is often no thread about it, as its been merged into super thread containing loads of other stuff, in the end it makes not bother its not worth it.

well the reason for that bud is that if everyone had the same mindset as you we would have 1000 threads started about the same thing pretty much :)

so please understand, I did ask you nicely and linked you to an improvement thread that is better than just whining about something!

Id love to see your manager have his own stats like every other member of staff in the game and be able to take part in the training. You should also have to spend your wages on UEFA coaching badges and training courses. to be able to manage clubs should need a certain level of coaching qualification National = UEFA B licence, Continental = UEFA A licence, world class = UEFA Pro licence. That was you're reputation acctaully has defind conditions.

well the reason for that bud is that if everyone had the same mindset as you we would have 1000 threads started about the same thing pretty much :)

so please understand, I did ask you nicely and linked you to an improvement thread that is better than just whining about something!

I understand if there are all ready threads about that topic, but I think it's Overkill when threads like I created get merged with threads that have a loose connection with each other at best.

It makes it a chore to navigate forums

I understand if there are all ready threads about that topic, but I think it's Overkill when threads like I created get merged with threads that have a loose connection with each other at best.

It makes it a chore to navigate forums
I understand that mate, but you need to understand that if we all did that the forums will slow down and be such a mess, more difficult to navigate actually.

I do understand that a player interaction thread could stand alone, however, what you said is pretty much the end of it.. hence no point in whining just for whining, I linked you here so that we can list what we would like to see changed and SI get the info from it and hopefully we can see the improvements in the future whereas leaving your thread as is would just be moaning for nothing :)

I hope you understand and also know that I am also just doing my job (which I may add is for free) :p